Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 25, 2015 7:35 PM

Jan 2015
So I saw Fate/Stay night:Unlimited blade works (TV) was rated high and was somewhat popular so I thought about starting the fate series here. Should I start at another point earlier in the series? If I skip to this one will it spoil things, or will I be confused?

-Didn't post to specific anime discussion because it involved several series.
Apr 25, 2015 7:37 PM

Jul 2011
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1286059
Apr 25, 2015 7:38 PM

Aug 2014
Just watch Fate Zero and dont watch any other Fate.
Apr 25, 2015 7:40 PM
Jul 2018
I thought you'd watch Fate/Zero first? I watched it before I knew anything about the Fate series, and think I enjoyed it a lot better than I would've if I had known anything about the Fate Series beforehand.
Apr 25, 2015 7:41 PM

Jun 2014
fate/prototype
Apr 25, 2015 7:42 PM
Feb 2015
Fate/Zero is the prequel...the rules of the war and the back story for the involved masters will make more sense if you watch Zero first.
Apr 25, 2015 7:42 PM

Jun 2014
Fate series? *Distasteful look*
Apr 25, 2015 7:43 PM

Jun 2014
HybridLR said:
Fate/Zero is the prequel...the rules of the war and the back story for the involved masters will make more sense if you watch Zero first.

fanboys will disagree
Apr 25, 2015 7:44 PM

Jul 2011
HybridLR said:

Zero was made to filling the holes of Fate.
Apr 25, 2015 7:46 PM

Jan 2015
Praland said:

Almost more confused now. This states that I should watch UBW first, but
HybridLR said:
Says that Zero gives the rules and back story.
Apr 25, 2015 7:46 PM
Jul 2018
Praland said:
HybridLR said:

Zero was made to filling the holes of Fate.

But it's still a good prequel for those new to the series, and is amazing as a stand-alone series...
Apr 25, 2015 7:48 PM

Jul 2011
WisestOne said:
Praland said:

HybridLR said:

Watch UBW first, like the sticky says.
Apr 25, 2015 7:48 PM

Jul 2012
y123y said:
Just watch Fate Zero and dont watch any other Fate.

Agreed.
Apr 25, 2015 7:49 PM
Jul 2018
Praland said:
WisestOne said:

Why though? Zero is so much better at a introduction to the Fate series...?
Apr 25, 2015 7:51 PM

Oct 2012
Zero is meant to fill in gaps for F/SN and is intended to be experienced after all three routes in F/SN.
Apr 25, 2015 7:52 PM

Jan 2011
Yeah just start at UBW.
Apr 25, 2015 7:53 PM

Jul 2011
sammario said:
Praland said:

Why though? Zero is so much better at a introduction to the Fate series...?

because it spoils major plots twist of the 3 routes and the LN was created as a complementary material to be read after finishing the VN.
Apr 25, 2015 7:57 PM

Mar 2015
Fate/Stay Night VN>Fate/Hollow Ataraxia VN>Fate/Zero
UBW anime and the upcoming HF movie are extras if you enjoyed them enough.
Apr 25, 2015 7:59 PM

Jan 2015
Alright, sorry. Just want to make sure I watch in the right order for the best experience!
First UBW season 1/2 then
(Whats HF Movies) after the movies
Stay/zero season 1/2.
What about Fate stay night?

Thanks for the help!
Apr 25, 2015 8:00 PM

Mar 2015
WisestOne said:
Alright, sorry. Just want to make sure I watch in the right order for the best experience!
Stay/zero season 1/2.

Thanks for the help!

Skip the original Stay Night anime and the original UBW movie.

Nov 2013
fate/zero (s1, then s2) > ubw (s1, then s2)

you can watch in vice versa order (which is the original chronological order), but as I said fate/zero >>>> ubw by miles. I think it'd leave a bad impression starting off with UBW since it's lackluster
Feb 2015
And at what point is the poster asking about the Light Novel timelines? Just because Zero was created after doesn't mean you watch it after. CG dragons are a good reason not to watch the original StayNight on top of a terrible story progression. UBW just started season two, so why start with UBW just to have to wait to progress when the original poster can just watch Zero, understand the backstories of the main characters for UBW and then proceed from there.

Makes no sense to not watch Zero first.

Aug 2012
WisestOne said:

Skip it and wait for Ufotable to make a better adaptation of it.

Apr 25, 2015 8:02 PM

Jul 2011
The deen anime it's a butchering of the 3 routes of the VN taking the first as main and taking elements of the other two, not worthy.

The HF movie haven't aired yet and it's the one the Zero spoils the most.
Apr 25, 2015 8:02 PM

Jan 2011
WisestOne said:
Stay/zero season 1/2.

Thanks for the help!
The UBW movie is essentially a recap that just happened to come out a few years first, if you really wanted to watch the original F/SN anime it'd probably be best anytime before Zero.
Apr 25, 2015 8:06 PM

Mar 2015
HybridLR said:
And at what point is the poster asking about the Light Novel timelines? Just because Zero was created after doesn't mean you watch it after. CG dragons are a good reason not to watch the original StayNight on top of a terrible story progression. UBW just started season two, so why start with UBW just to have to wait to progress when the original poster can just watch Zero, understand the backstories of the main characters for UBW and then proceed from there.

Because Zero spoils events in Stay Night. I watched Zero, and I wished I didn't when I decided to read the VN.
Apr 25, 2015 8:06 PM

Oct 2012
HybridLR said:
Except for the fact that y'know Nasu himself has gone on record and said that F/Z is intended to be experienced after F/SN.
Apr 25, 2015 8:07 PM

Jan 2011
Sterkte said:
Your experience will not be the same if you start there. Watch it in order by release date, like you're intended to.
So F/SN and then F/Z.
Apr 25, 2015 8:11 PM

Aug 2014
The thing is that if you watch Zero first, youre not gonna like Stay, because of the atmosphere.

So I recommend all the Stay's, and then Zero.
Apr 25, 2015 8:12 PM

Feb 2015
Fate/Zero is a LOT better than Stay Night.

I'd reccomend playing the Stay Night VN instead of watching the anime.
Apr 25, 2015 8:22 PM
Feb 2015
Feaor said:
HybridLR said:
Except for the fact that y'know Nasu himself has gone on record and said that F/Z is intended to be experienced after F/SN.

And Reki Kawahara has gone on record saying he knows there's plot holes and that his story is basically garbage but there are still rabid fanboys who think SAO is best Also let's remember one major thing about film, anime and creation in general... the intent of the author/composer/writer is all well and good but each person watching it can have a different interpretation of it, that's the beauty of art. So like it or not, Zero is a prequel, due to a basic understanding of timelines...you watch the one written in the early period first.

Also a prequel doesn't spoil crap...it adds depth to the characters.
Apr 25, 2015 8:25 PM

Mar 2015
HybridLR said:
Feaor said:

And Reki Kawahara has gone on record saying he knows there's plot holes and that his story is basically garbage but there are still rabid fanboys who think SAO is best Also let's remember one major thing about film, anime and creation in general... the intent of the author/composer/writer is all well and good but each person watching it can have a different interpretation of it, that's the beauty of art. So like it or not, Zero is a prequel, due to a basic understanding of timelines...you watch the one written in the early period first.

Doesn't add depth when it makes the plot twists underwhelming. Prequels are set before a series, but if it's intended to be finished after the main series, you do that.
Apr 25, 2015 8:25 PM

Jan 2015
WisestOne said:
Stay/zero season 1/2.

Thanks for the help!

Going to watch F/SN after the UBW since thats what it seems. There is so much contradiction in this thread its crazy.
Apr 25, 2015 8:27 PM

Jul 2011
WisestOne said:
There is so much contradiction in this thread its crazy.

That thread was put as a sticky for some reason.
Apr 25, 2015 8:28 PM

Oct 2012
HybridLR said:
Feaor said:

Except for the fact that F/Z spoils almost all of the major reveals in F/SN because its assumed that you already know them going into F/Z. F/Z was actually originally not intended to be a whole LN, it was only supposed to expand on one major event from the 4th Grail war but Urobuchi eventually expanded it and made it a complete story. Then the LN was purposely not published until after the original 2006 F/SN was finished airing because it was meant to be read afterwards.
Apr 25, 2015 8:30 PM

May 2014
Wow lots of people saying to start at zero first. I agree.

Last time I told someone to watch zero first, the priests jumped me like a pack of rabid wolves.
Kenjataimu mode status: 恒久
Apr 25, 2015 8:39 PM

Oct 2013
Kenjataimu said:

Last time I told someone to watch zero first, the priests jumped me like a pack of rabid wolves.

That's just because the mods haven't moved the thread to the UBW board, where the priests are usually lurking.
I'd go with emobubbles, but someone else already had it, damn bastard.
Apr 25, 2015 9:12 PM

Jun 2014
None of them.
Apr 25, 2015 9:49 PM

May 2014
emobuttercup said:
Kenjataimu said:

That's just because the mods haven't moved the thread to the UBW board, where the priests are usually lurking.

Nigga we everywhere.

--------
If you have no interest in ever reading the original VN at any point you can go ahead and watch Fate/Zero first, the HF movies are most "spoiled" by Zero but they won't be out for a year or two so it would be unreasonable to ask someone to wait that long to watch a show already aired.

Every if Zero is a continuation of Fate Stay/Night in every way except chronologically.

If you really wanna invest the time in getting into the Fate series/Nasuverse go read the VN-->F/Z. Tbh I don't feel UBW is that strong of a starting point.
WrongPriestApr 25, 2015 10:03 PM
Apr 25, 2015 9:52 PM

Jul 2011
Yeah I thought since its rated highly itd be good too
But its trash for fanboys dont watch it
Apr 25, 2015 10:02 PM

Feb 2015
you know what don't bother watching any of them.The release order is a mess.The HF movies are going to come out in 2016.Then people will have all the releases to judge for themselves why certain "fanboys" tell you to watch FSN before FZ. Up until then,don't watch, the debate will continue on specially those who have just watched Zero.There are shit tons of other shows to watch before that.Enjoy watching them.You will be better.

*end of a tired rant*
Apr 25, 2015 10:42 PM

Jun 2014
All I am going to say is that I watched Fate/Zero first.
Apr 26, 2015 1:08 AM

Jul 2007
You are better off to just playing the fate stay night visual novel instead.

The anime adaptations are a mess.

If you want to just watch anime and are prepared for infinitely more shallow and boring things than the source material:

Start with Unlimited Blade Works 2014
After that wait for Heaven's Feel movies
Then watch Zero(which spoils EVERYTHING in FSN and is meant to be seen last)
Apr 26, 2015 6:26 PM
Nov 2009
Play the VN, at least the Fate route which separately is available on Android iirc is the best choice. If you need help PM me.

F/Z is a prequel intended to be watched only after experiencing FSN. I did Zero first and even the first episode alone spoils like 80% of the best twists that would make you scream at your screen "WHAT".

anime only: UBW->HF->FZ

More topics from this board

» The ufotable Production

BigHomieTrapa - Apr 11

2 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 15, 1:53 AM

Poll: » Fate/Zero Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

a6342164 - Oct 29, 2011

459 by JacobRitacco »»
Mar 15, 12:23 AM

Poll: » Fate/zero Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Oct 1, 2011

698 by damnit_tomioka »»
Mar 9, 1:25 AM

» Who's your favorite servant?

Ms_Muffin - Feb 19

47 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Feb 28, 5:46 PM

» Im about to start this but confused

TabutcuEmmi - Feb 7

44 by RulyKinkajou59 »»
Feb 10, 3:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.