Forum Settings
Forums

If there is a God, does that mean the Devil is real too?

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Post New Reply
Apr 23, 2015 1:43 PM

RedRoseFring said:
traed said:
No, not all beleifs are dualistic so its not a requirement.

Also going to point out that the typical Christian belief isn't dualistic in the sense that God and the Devil are somehow competing. It's not a battle of equal grounds. One side has all the power and authority.
In other words Satan works for God because God likes to mess with people.

Apr 23, 2015 1:53 PM

traed said:
RedRoseFring said:

Also going to point out that the typical Christian belief isn't dualistic in the sense that God and the Devil are somehow competing. It's not a battle of equal grounds. One side has all the power and authority.

More like, Satan is doing his own thing, but even then God still makes it work out to his will.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
I conclude that this theme is in fact good!

Apr 23, 2015 1:59 PM

RedRoseFring said:
traed said:

More like, Satan is doing his own thing, but even then God still makes it work out to his will.
The difference between a gap in science and filling that with a god with human emotions and thinking.

Trance said:
I'm a guy and I can imagine buttfucking another guy. I don't find the thought repulsive, and I can even imagine kissing another man.

Apr 23, 2015 2:11 PM

Old_CopperNose said:
RedRoseFring said:

The difference between a gap in science and filling that with a god with human emotions and thinking.

[img]https://godenenmensen.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/richarddawkins1.jpg[/im g]

Lol. And replying with the pic of a person who spends all his time fighting something he believes doesn't exist. gg.

Then again, he looks good on you. Just need a fedora and some mountain dew. Maybe they've got some in their underground alien bunkers on Mars ;)
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme

Apr 23, 2015 2:16 PM

RedRoseFring said:
Old_CopperNose said:

[img]https://godenenmensen.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/richarddawkins1.jpg[/im g]

Lol. And replying with the pic of a person who spends all his time fighting something he believes doesn't exist. gg.

Then again, he looks good on you. Just need a fedora and some mountain dew. Maybe they've got some in their underground alien bunkers on Mars ;)
Fighting people who think the world can't function without a god. It means you take no meaning out of literature unless it's got a "god" assigned to it. Dawkins gets stick, but no one manages to explain why. You're the biggest fedora tipper ever redrose, don't deny it! Look at how you treat other religions just because you have no basis for Jesus being god.

Christianity isn't compatible with science. We can prove how macro evolution happens without the aid of a god (if you disagree then you admit we have no free will, and christianity falls apart) so what evidence is there that god used evolution to create life? None at all.

Btw there was an asteroid from mars that crashed in antarctica and a telescope showed what appeared to be a microscopic worm on it. The biologist claimed that it couldn't be life because worms on earth are much bigger.

Were you that "biologist"?
Modified by Dick_Dawkins, Apr 23, 2015 2:22 PM
Trance said:
I'm a guy and I can imagine buttfucking another guy. I don't find the thought repulsive, and I can even imagine kissing another man.

Apr 23, 2015 2:22 PM

Old_CopperNose said:
RedRoseFring said:

Fighting people who think the world can't function without a god. It means you take no meaning out of literature unless it's got a "god" assigned to it. Dawkins gets stick, but no one manages to explain why.

Btw there was an asteroid from mars that crashed in antarctica and a telescope showed what appeared to be a microscopic worm on it. The biologist claimed that it couldn't be life because worms on earth are much bigger.

Were you that "biologist"?

I have already had my dose of comedic routines for the day marathoning the Chappelle Show. You are on your own (unless your martian friends are willing to entertain you.)

"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme

Apr 23, 2015 2:28 PM

redrosefring said:
I have already had my dose of comedic routines for the day marathoning the Chappelle Show. You are on your own (unless your martian friends are willing to entertain you.)
You and anyone else are welcome to debate what else I edited in my previous comment.

See you dismiss evidence all the time if it goes against your book. Please don't become a biologist.

This is you pretty much all the time with anything. Christians milk the same sentence that science and religion aren't mutually exclusive.

"Redrose I found bacteria from mars." "I understand but I disagree with you" "Why??" "Mutters science jargon, and muh old testament, muh beliefs".
Trance said:

Apr 23, 2015 2:35 PM

Old_CopperNose said:
redrosefring said:
You and anyone else are welcome to debate what else I edited in my previous comment.

See you dismiss evidence all the time if it goes against your book. Please don't become a biologist.

This is you pretty much all the time with anything. Christians milk the same sentence that science and religion aren't mutually exclusive.

In case you didn't know, the qualities that make one a "Fedora tipper" are very clear. You have Richard Dawkins as your avatar pic. You couldn't be any more obvious if you had a Stephen Fry poster or Carl Sagan sig, oh wait. Of course, you (and your martian friends) have my sincerest "Bye Felicia."

"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme

Apr 23, 2015 2:40 PM

x-Tr1gger said:
RedRoseFring said:

You are just misunderstanding my point.
I'm not saying that you don't believe in an original god, I'm saying that he can't possibly hold the values of all the different religions since some of them contradict each other.
Basically, some religion's values are way off the mark.

Yes you are basically just spitting out what i posted but using different words lol

Nah. This, with emphasis on the bolded, is what you typed that I'm saying isn't possible: ""while god itself holds all the same values people do in those religions."

Sure some values are similar across religions, but certainly not all of them.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme

Apr 23, 2015 2:46 PM

RedRoseFring said:
Old_CopperNose said:

In case you didn't know, the qualities that make one a "Fedora tipper" are very clear. You have Richard Dawkins as your avatar pic. You couldn't be any more obvious if you had a Stephen Fry poster or Carl Sagan sig, oh wait. Of course, you (and your martian friends) have my sincerest "Bye Felicia."

You're a fedora tipper since you have rather bold claims and bias about christianity yet never offer any proof of the christian god being like you imagine him to be. You like to include the classic fedora tipping quotes from your idols William Lane Craig, ken ham etc. about christianity being scientific, but it always boils down to you simply making assumptions about god.

Your ad hominems about Stephen Fry, Richard Dawkins, Ricky Gervais etc mean nothing because you can't even answer why they're "fedora tipping".

As I said we've found simple building blocks of life on other planets, so until you debate around science not your religious beliefs you won't get very far. What makes mars (one of the most habitable planets ever) so inhospitable that life couldn't evolve? Are you limited to thinking based on life from earth?
Trance said:

Apr 23, 2015 3:19 PM

x-Tr1gger said:
RedRoseFring said:

Nah. This, with emphasis on the bolded, is what you typed that I'm saying isn't possible: ""while god itself holds all the same values people do in those religions."

Sure some values are similar across religions, but certainly not all of them.

All = most in this case. Obviously not all religions would hold the same values.
When someone says all people in the world like food they are talking about most. Most people can see that as it's basic knowledge that not every person on earth likes food.

Picking at small things like this is trivial and suspect. Again, more proof of you just trying to take away from the main point.

All doesn't even mean most when it comes to this topic.
First of all, there's the obvious huge difference between polytheism and monotheism, difference between both and non-theism (just using that differentiate it from atheism), different values when it comes to the attributes of each deity, etc.
You could only say they hold the same values in many cases in each of those subdivisions if you gloss them over, but going in depth would only reveal more and more differences.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme

Apr 23, 2015 8:55 PM

Honestly, it really depends on what God. If it's Christianity for example, then the Devil would exist.

Apr 23, 2015 9:00 PM

Can't take the bible seriously.

That's like 2000 years later and someone reads the threads on here and takes them seriously.

Apr 23, 2015 9:13 PM

Time to sit back and enjoy these religious threads.

Apr 23, 2015 9:28 PM

The first whoever that create religious is so that he can earn money.

Of course the creator need to have smart trick to trick people into believing.
Signature removed. Check your inbox

Apr 23, 2015 9:30 PM

Consequent said:
Time to sit back and enjoy these religious threads.
There's been a lot more of them than usual lately.

Apr 23, 2015 9:52 PM

Well, it depends on the religion. In the case of Christianity, it's absolutely important that Satan exists. If Satan did not exist, then sin would not exist (because Satan was the one that tempted Eve into disobeying God), and therefore Christianity is false (because the entire premise of Christianity is that we are morally fallen before God, and in order to be with Him, we need to accept the sacrifice of Jesus as remission for our sins). Satan is vital to the existence of Christianity. But because I accept Christianity as the truth, I believe that Satan exists, and therefore I don't believe that everyone would go to heaven. Hitler's not going to heaven. Mao isn't going to heaven. Stalin isn't going to heaven.

As for the Lucifer thing, I'm surprised by a lot of people on this forum. There's misinformation mixed in with fact. So allow me to outline the facts:

1. Lucifer is not the devil. Lucifer is based on off of the Hebrew word helel, from the root hâlâl, meaning "to shine" or "to bear light". The KJV incorrectly decides to borrow Jerome's translation of the word (which he thought referred to Venus) from the Latin Vulgate. Jerome used Lucifer (lit. light-bearing) to refer to Venus. But Lucifer, whomever that may be, is not Satan. If you look at the context of Isaiah 14 (which is where Lucifer appears), we can clearly see that the context of this passage deals with king of Babylon. The term helel was used to refer to the once shining king of Babylon who was now going to be struck down for his blasphemy. Glad to know that at least people on here know this much, at least.

AzureDaora said:

Actually, no. In the old testament, Satan was just used as a word to mean "adversary". It means enemy, and is not actually a singular being.
http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_sat2.htm

There are a lot of distorted and changed information about the bible. Jesus as a child, for example, made a person turn into ash because he was playing with water with a stick. Yeah.

If you're wondering why I know much about both Science and religion, btw, it's because I was once a debater about theism and atheism and stuff like that.

This is partially correct but mostly incorrect. It's true that satan means "adversary", but Ha-Satan is the title given to what we would call the Devil today. Ha-Satan literally means The Adversary, and is a title used to denote a singular ruler or powerful entity rather than a group of adversaries or simply an adversary. Satan, as mentioned in the book of Job, is referred to in this way (as Ha-Satan, not as satan).

As a side note: that site you provided grossly misinterprets the text. It almost makes it seem that God creates moral evils,(sin). This is not true. What this passage refers to "evil" in the sense of something that contrasts peace. The passage that it uses from Job out of context is also great at making it seem like God Himself did these evils to Job, when this was merely the lamenting of Job himself! This was a man that came to conclusion that there is no justice in the world, and that God could have possibly forsaken him (when that wasn't the case) as per his suffering.

Also, the so-called information about Jesus' childhood comes from a well known forgery called the Infancy Gospel of Thomas. Now, I think AzureDoara used that to illustrate that there is plenty of misinformation about the Bible. I don't think anyone still seriously holds the view that really much (if any) of the Apocrypha can be taken as fact because so much of it (like the Infancy Gospel of Thomas, the Gospel of Barnabas, etc) has been proven to be forgeries and hoaxes.

So yeah. Hope that helped someone. Discuss away.
Eminem meets Clannad
Just when you thought Clannad's OST was as sad as it could get ;_;

If you seen School Days, rewatch the ending while listening to A Little of Piece of Heaven by A7X. I guarantee laughs.

Apr 23, 2015 9:52 PM

ye

May 13, 2015 7:55 AM

I believe the devil in The Brothers Karasamov said that he didn't believe in God and the existence of the devil does not prove the existence of God. So I'll say... no

[spoiler]

May 13, 2015 8:05 AM
If your mother exists, then me, fucking your mother is also real?

May 13, 2015 11:33 AM

Masked_Mantis said:
What? I'm talking about Jesus needing to be crucified to forgive everyone of their sins. You're potentially celebrating an innocent man being gruesomely murdered and queerly applying some sort of morality around it because society is too stupid to take morality from other philosophers.
That's because sin forgiveness comes at the price of blood. Before Jesus's death, people had to sacrifice animals every year to have their sins forgiven. Jesus's blood was the ultimate sacrifice, no more blood had to be shed.

May 13, 2015 11:34 AM

If there is a god then everyone on MAL is guarenteed a ticket to hell

May 13, 2015 11:34 AM
What if God and the Devil are the same person?

May 13, 2015 11:35 AM

Unos said:

where de fuk did dis come from ?? O_O

May 13, 2015 11:38 AM

reddington88 said:
If there is a god then everyone on MAL is guarenteed a ticket to hell

that's true unless you're Jewish or believe in reincarnation

just don't step on the train
All credit goes to Sacred.

May 13, 2015 12:09 PM

lupadim said:
Masked_Mantis said:
What? I'm talking about Jesus needing to be crucified to forgive everyone of their sins. You're potentially celebrating an innocent man being gruesomely murdered and queerly applying some sort of morality around it because society is too stupid to take morality from other philosophers.
That's because sin forgiveness comes at the price of blood. Before Jesus's death, people had to sacrifice animals every year to have their sins forgiven. Jesus's blood was the ultimate sacrifice, no more blood had to be shed.
Yeah but if people had to sacrifice animals all the time then it was obviously working. We kill animals to this day, even Christians think animals are only on earth to serve humans. It's barbaric to ever need to kill a person to take all sin.

Why not follow a religion that doesn't require bloodshed to remove sin? That's more logical.
Trance said:

May 13, 2015 1:38 PM

Since we know God exists, and God has revealed to us in His Word that the Devil exists, I think we can assume that the Devil is real.
Shoot first, think never.

May 13, 2015 3:00 PM

Involtus said:
No.

May 13, 2015 10:18 PM
lupadim said:
Masked_Mantis said:

what a fucking hero

May 14, 2015 2:53 AM
Why do people even believe that good and bad are 2 separate entities when they are the one of the same?

May 14, 2015 5:13 AM

shintai88 said:
Why do people even believe that good and bad are 2 separate entities when they are the one of the same?
How can a thing be its opposite? Is being stabbed and beaten with sticks the same as not being stabbed and not being beaten?

May 14, 2015 6:02 AM
Muan142 said:
shintai88 said:
How can a thing be its opposite? Is being stabbed and beaten with sticks the same as not being stabbed and not being beaten?

Your example doesn't apply, as neither the action of getting stabbed or getting beaten with a stick is evil or good. Its an action that has no meaning, The one performing the action could be doing it with evil or good intentions, Disciplining, or torturing either can been seen as good or evil.

The same as not beating a person or stabbing them. As the action of not doing something is neither evil or good.

And unless you are staying the people at the moment of conception can be straight away categorised as evil or good, than your argument doesn't apply in my train of thought of how Good and evil are the same thing.

Why can't a thing be its opposite, why can't god just be good and evil and dishes out what ever they want when ever they feel like it.

The fact you believe an all powerful being needs to be good or evil puzzles me.

Only time it makes sense is if there is a system in place to ensure good and evil are in balance and thus there is a good god and a evil god.

May 14, 2015 7:05 AM

shintai88 said:
Muan142 said:

Your example doesn't apply, as neither the action of getting stabbed or getting beaten with a stick is evil or good. Its an action that has no meaning, The one performing the action could be doing it with evil or good intentions, Disciplining, or torturing either can been seen as good or evil.

The same as not beating a person or stabbing them. As the action of not doing something is neither evil or good.

And unless you are staying the people at the moment of conception can be straight away categorised as evil or good, than your argument doesn't apply in my train of thought of how Good and evil are the same thing.

Why can't a thing be its opposite, why can't god just be good and evil and dishes out what ever they want when ever they feel like it.

The fact you believe an all powerful being needs to be good or evil puzzles me.

Only time it makes sense is if there is a system in place to ensure good and evil are in balance and thus there is a good god and a evil god.

I don't want to be argumentative, but I don't think I understand you. What is evil?

For me evil is a lack of principle which is to say something which does not fit in the system and represents an attempt to separate from reality.

May 14, 2015 7:29 AM
Muan142 said:

I don't want to be argumentative, but I don't think I understand you. What is evil?

For me evil is a lack of principle which is to say something which does not fit in the system and represents an attempt to separate from reality.[/quote]

All I am saying is good and evil are the same. The Ops title. of if there is a god, than does that mean the devil is real too. There is no need to seperate god from the devil, as they in my view are 1 of the same. In other words God is the devil, and is a representation of both good and evil.

My generalisation of this view is that everyone is capable of good and evil, but in the eyes of others what is good in your eyes can be evil in others.

That's why Good and evil are the same. I mean Good = God + o and Evil = Evil + D. They are both 1 letter away from what they are meant to represent. So why not just assume they are one of the same.

A person can kill a man who is about to execute a group of children, in the eyes of the children his action is good, however in the eyes of the mother or father of the man that was murdered, the person who killed their son is evil. The person who shot the man could have done it because he wanted to save the children, or because he wanted to kill a man and needed a valid excuse.

Do you get what I am trying to say?
Modified by shintai88, May 14, 2015 8:08 AM

May 14, 2015 7:39 AM

Depends. Are talking God as in how the bible describes him, or just any almighty being?

If there is a god that is just like how the bible describes him, then yes. There should be a Devil to. I'm sure theb devil is mentioned countless times in the bible as well and therefore it would make no sense if he didn't exist and god was still the same.

However, there is a "God" in many different religions, not only Christianity. And the "real" God, might even be different from what is depicted in any of those religions...

I don't believe in either of them, though :P

May 14, 2015 7:40 AM

Open-Dice said:
Since we know God exists, and God has revealed to us in His Word that the Devil exists, I think we can assume that the Devil is real.
And how do we know god exist?

Unos said:
lol xD

May 14, 2015 7:44 AM

Well there are oposites in all things, more or less.

If there was a good force it would make sense taht there is an evil one.

So if God is real then I suppose satan is real too.

Unless some other pantheon is the right one, but assuming the God of the Abrahamic religions is the real one, then yes, the devil is real too.

May 14, 2015 8:02 AM

Why would that be so? God is meant to be an entity of some kind, I assume, and there doesn't necessarily have to be an antithesis to an existing entity; there doesn't HAVE to be an opposite of me, I assume. The only way this would work is if God and Satan/Lucifer/Devil/whatever are meant to be the very embodiment of the concepts of good and evil (which is likely, given that "god" is almost the same of "good" and "devil" is almost "evil"), in which case, yes.

But still, I don't think there needs to be an embodiment of a concept for the concept to exist. Satan could simply be an analogy for evil.

May 14, 2015 8:30 AM

Unfortunately I don't believe in god...so nope...but would b nice to ask for free stuff and praise and thank someone when good things happen and hide my shortcomings and evil deeds and blame in on the devil or Satan

May 14, 2015 8:32 AM

They both exist.

May 14, 2015 9:58 AM

Eternal-Blue said:
Unfortunately I don't believe in god...so nope...but would b nice to ask for free stuff and praise and thank someone when good things happen and hide my shortcomings and evil deeds and blame in on the devil or Satan

Kind of odd you'd say you don't ask for free stuff. Considering your lungs and the air you breathe are owned by God. Not to mention the clothes and machines you use are brought to you by slaves in Asia. But I'll let that slide and just say you were ignorant of these facts.

As for attributing all bad things to the devil? What Christian does that? Did you read that somewhere on Dicky Dawkins's website, or maybe R/Atheism? Cos I don't know a single Christian who would say that. Christians believe in free will, which is a pretty major thing, therefore all our acts are due to our own decisions. Sure sometimes the devil does influence people, but only if they open their hearts to him... Richard Dawkins and his Dawkinite legion for example.

So... nice strawman, I guess. It's just too bad you weren't intelligent enough to do it any justice. :(

God bless.
Modified by Open-Dice, May 14, 2015 10:04 AM

May 14, 2015 10:35 AM

Open-Dice said:
As for attributing all bad things to the devil? What Christian does that? Did you read that somewhere on Dicky Dawkins's website, or maybe R/Atheism? Cos I don't know a single Christian who would say that. Christians believe in free will, which is a pretty major thing, therefore all our acts are due to our own decisions. Sure sometimes the devil does influence people, but only if they open their hearts to him... Richard Dawkins and his Dawkinite legion for example.
How does one differentiate between evil of our own free will, and evil from the devils influence?

Open-Dice said:
Kind of odd you'd say you don't ask for free stuff. Considering your lungs and the air you breathe are owned by God. But I'll let that slide and just say you were ignorant of these facts.
Trance said:

May 14, 2015 10:39 AM

Bambi_ said:
If God was real and the Devil wasn’t let’s just say that there would be a lot of missing pieces to the story of God/Christ.

If you say it like this everyone who thinks the Devil is fake would automatically be at the wrong's end.

May 14, 2015 10:45 AM

Masked_Mantis said:
Open-Dice said:
How does one differentiate between evil of our own free will, and evil from the devils influence?

You're either confused, misconstruing what I said, or just a liar. Or all of them probably.

Evil acts are done solely by an individual. Yes they can be tempted, but it is up to an individual to overcome those temptations, just like how Jesus was tempted in the desert by Satan but overcame it through His own goodness.

What kind of "temptation" has your idol Richard Dawkins overcome? The guy whose entire estate is built upon slavery, who defends pedophilia, who is best friends with Larry Krauss, a known supporter of incest?

That picture you posted is actually kind of fitting; Atheists are always bewildered by lgic and reasoning. So what claim do you have to own the air or anything else in the universe? Also here's another pic to add to your repertoire of ignorance.

May 14, 2015 10:48 AM

Militant Atheists like Dawkins are silly because they still haven't realized that Political Correctness has long replaced Christianity as the dominant religion of the West.
Proud founder of the 20+ virgins club.

Please visit my manga blog for manga updates and more!

Mup da doo didda po mo muhfuggen bix nood

^ Need someone who can translate this. Pm me pls.

May 14, 2015 10:52 AM

Shiratori99 said:
Militant Atheists like Dawkins are silly because they still haven't realized that Political Correctness has long replaced Christianity as the dominant religion of the West.

Don't worry, they'll go after him next. Dawkins has a lot of privilege to check.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme

May 14, 2015 11:08 AM

Open-Dice said:
Evil acts are done solely by an individual. Yes they can be tempted, but it is up to an individual to overcome those temptations, just like how Jesus was tempted in the desert by Satan but overcame it through His own goodness.

What kind of "temptation" has your idol Richard Dawkins overcome? The guy whose entire estate is built upon slavery, who defends pedophilia, who is best friends with Larry Krauss, a known supporter of incest?

That picture you posted is actually kind of fitting; Atheists are always bewildered by lgic and reasoning. So what claim do you have to own the air or anything else in the universe?
Still not really answering the question. Surely any evil act always comes from temptation?

Slavery was wrong, we are all African apes. As for incest I've done some wincest things growing up with my sister, it came to no harm and it was a weird moment where we felt love for each other. It harmed no one and we are both good individuals so there was no sin.

When does anyone claim to own air?
Trance said:

May 14, 2015 11:55 AM

Masked_Mantis said:

When does anyone claim to own air?

Read my original post. I was replying to some guy who said "I don't believe in God cuz I don't ask for free stuff!"... everyone lives because of the free stuff that has been given to us. By God. Or at least "the universe", if you're gonna be stubborn.

ALL evil acts are done through temptation. Anyone can be tempted, the difference is that some of us act on those temptations and some of us don't. Matthew 4:1 10

IPlease don't start defending incest, even though that is quickly becoming the new cool thing in America these days. The next thing you know everyone will be advocating pedophilia and Oedipus sex, just like that guy on this forum with the monkey picture.

"It harmed no one and we are both good individuals so there was no sin"

This statement is so, so arrogant. And it's also why your argument falls to pieces like a brick house built on sand, 7:24 27. Because you think you can define what evil is. But only God can do that. Everything else is just your subjective opinion which doesn't mean shit. What makes you think you are smarter than an omnipotent, omniscient being who is older than anything in the entire universe?

May 14, 2015 11:57 AM

damastah said:
They both exist.
All credit goes to Sacred.

May 14, 2015 12:23 PM
Wow these people becoming moses all of a sudden

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »