Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 21, 2015 7:58 PM
Apr 2015
I use mangahere and mangafox to read manga online for free..

I ask because I'm using my University's WiFi (dormitory) to read manga ONLY from the sites mentioned above.
Though, I have been watching/streaming anime with my University's WiFi for quite some time now and I haven't been brought with any warnings or restrictions yet.

But lately, I've been starting to read many manga on my computer. Will I get penalized for this? Is this illegal?

Thanks.
interfer0nApr 21, 2015 8:02 PM
Apr 21, 2015 7:59 PM
Jul 2018
Yes. It is illegal.
No, you probably won't get in trouble

You live in a University. They don't have physical mangas at their library?
Apr 21, 2015 8:00 PM

Jan 2015
i don't think they will take serious measures just because you read manga online.
Apr 21, 2015 8:03 PM

Feb 2015
In our place, Internet is a sea of pirates and it's free.

Long live third world countries!
Apr 21, 2015 8:04 PM
Apr 2015
Okay, how about this then:

There's an app in the App Store (Apple) called Manga Rock. It's a free app where they offer the user to read free manga from many sources such as MangaFox, MangaHere, etc.

Why, then, is this allowed in the app store?
Apr 21, 2015 8:05 PM
Jul 2018
Because manga companies probably haven't seen it yet and requested it be taken off? Manga isn't nearly as big in America as it is in Japan, so they might overlook stuff like that.
Apr 21, 2015 8:22 PM

Apr 2014
Surely (and only if the writers take issue with it being online) it would only be illegal to upload it, not read it (?).
Apr 21, 2015 8:29 PM

Nov 2014
Apr 21, 2015 8:52 PM

Sep 2010
Haddy_ said:
how do you guys read mangafox!? every one i want to read says licensed. It's been that way since like 3 years?

Only affects those who live in the US I guess cause I get that on Mangafox too.

@topic: yes it is illegal, but you will only get in trouble if you upload chapters/volumes and happen to get caught which is very slim if you live outside of Japan. If your just reading like the rest of us you will not get in trouble at all.

As for me I don't have enough space for manga nor do I have the money for it since all mine go towards anime and video games. I only buy ones I really REALLY love. Also there is no real legal way to read most of the manga I do except for one or two titles.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Apr 21, 2015 8:54 PM

Jul 2012
lol it's not legal but im 99% sure they dont catch ppl for that
if anything, get an app that can download your series.

Haddy_ said:
how do you guys read mangafox!? every one i want to read says licensed. It's been that way since like 3 years?

get a proxy for another country or just use a better site
Apr 21, 2015 8:56 PM

Mar 2012
I'm a paid MangaRock user. It's a great app!
I've been using websites "just like everyone else" since ages, so you'd never get in trouble for something like that.

Yes, I am CD 2.0's overlord.
Apr 21, 2015 8:59 PM

Nov 2011
Yes, you're a badass for doing so, you're a rebel and a dangerous person, if I ever have a daughter I wouldn't let her go out because I would be afraid of you.
I luv u
Apr 21, 2015 9:12 PM

Oct 2014
Probably, but i never seen someone got arrested because of watching Anime or reading Manga.
Apr 21, 2015 9:16 PM

Nov 2011
it depends on the source, but mangafox and such are not official (meaning, the company and the mangaka don't get a share of the profit). there are, however, legitimate ways of reading manga online.
one way is through Crunchyroll, which requires a premium subscription. Another is through in-app purchases from an official manga app (though these are usually untranslated, so you need to know a little Japanese to be able to read them)
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Apr 22, 2015 4:12 AM

Aug 2013
The only scanlation site i've been visiting for few years is Batoto. Not only it offers higher resolutions and cleaner stuff, simply visiting it would help budgeting some scanlation teams through ads. Whereas some sites such as mangafox, mangahere, and mangareader are basically leeching off of Batoto's output.

Aside from that, i don't wanna mind myself with being legal or not because hell, if it weren't for these supposedly "illegal" scanlations, how else i'm supposed to read manga? Licensed manga in my country (Indonesia) are total joke; they're overpriced, always fall far behind their japanese counterpart, and with questionable scenes and dialogues mostly being censored/watered down in order to avoid offending concerned parents (Yeah, you hear that people. Here, manga is still associated as lowly "comics" for children and teenagers). Importing is even more a no-no given our low currency rate. And legit digital manga in Crunchy is simply unaccessible here. So you know the reality here.
Apr 22, 2015 8:55 AM

Jan 2014
Monstrum said:
In our place, Internet is a sea of pirates and it's free.

Long live third world countries!

ahoy !!!
well it can't be helped... we can only read manga by illegal measures... at least we don't get troubled by that.
Sep 17, 2017 9:33 PM

May 2015
Is this website legal? Will the owner of this site get into any trouble?

http://www.rawdevart.com/
Sep 17, 2017 11:31 PM

Dec 2011
AnimeCruiser said:

No.
Potentially.

If you want legal raws, there are plenty of publishers who serialise their manga online. But they'll be on the site for that publisher, not in big collecting sites like that one.
kuuderes_shadowSep 17, 2017 11:37 PM
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Sep 18, 2017 8:30 AM

May 2015
kuuderes_shadow said:
AnimeCruiser said:

No.
Potentially.

If you want legal raws, there are plenty of publishers who serialise their manga online. But they'll be on the site for that publisher, not in big collecting sites like that one.

So there is a chance the owner might get sued/jailed even if he is not staying in Japan? Even if he is NOT publishing them earlier than the dates of original online release?
Sep 18, 2017 10:10 AM

Dec 2011
AnimeCruiser said:
kuuderes_shadow said:

No.
Potentially.

So there is a chance the owner might get sued/jailed even if he is not staying in Japan? Even if he is NOT publishing them earlier than the dates of original online release?

Of course there is - running a site like that is a criminal offence in most countries in the world. Although they're more likely to be prosecuted if they are based in Japan. Whether or not they are leaking the chapters in advance is utterly irrelevant.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Sep 18, 2017 12:07 PM

Sep 2017
I'll admit. I'm guilty of this 'cause I don't have the money to buy mangas, so I just read mangas at the library when I can or read them online. Yeah....
Sep 18, 2017 3:05 PM

Nov 2011
kuuderes_shadow said:
AnimeCruiser said:

No.
Potentially.

Book Live actually lets you read some manga legally, for free.
they offer the first 1-2 sometimes even the first 3 volumes of a series for free for a limited time.
was able to grab:

first 2 volumes of 風夏
first volume of がっこうぐらし!
first volume of ステラのまほう
first volume of ひだまりスケッチ
first volume of ゆゆ式
first 2 volumes of お前ら全員めんどうくさい!
first volume of 春待つ僕ら
first 2 volumes of 進撃の巨人
the first 3 volumes of ちはやふる
the first 2 volumes of 私にxxしなさい
the first volume of 蟲師
the first volume of 四月は君の嘘
the first 2 volumes of しゅごキャラ!
the first volume of ピカ☆イチ
the first volume of 青Ao-Natsu夏
the first volume of 恋と嘘
and a ton of others...all for free. and legally. you can also collect coins every day and use them to buy the raws. it takes a while to collect them though.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Sep 20, 2017 1:13 AM
Aug 2017
honestly i was wondering about this. Like I normally read manga online (I can't find legal websites where i can read many manga).

though, I read from somewhere saying that if you're just reading manga you won't get caught, but it's illegal for people that uploads them/people that owns the website. But I'm not sure tho
I love anime and kpop! <3 BLINK and SONE
Sep 20, 2017 7:15 AM
Jul 2018
other guy: "i got 5 years for armed robbery and drug trafficking, and you?"
you: "reading manga ILLEGALLY"
other guy: *gasps*
Sep 21, 2017 2:58 AM

Aug 2017
I think no, except when it already available on your country.
"I'm tired, Boss. Mostly I'm tired of people being ugly at each other."
- John Coffey, Green Miles
Oct 4, 2017 8:55 AM
Aug 2014
yes, but nobody cares, and you won't get in trouble for reading it. they only go after the people who host it.
Oct 9, 2017 11:43 AM

Mar 2013
Technically, yes it is illegal. But like most things where you can read/watch stuff online, no one really cares.

And in the case of anime and manga, a lot of us Western fans don't really have a choice with certain series.
Oct 9, 2017 12:48 PM
Jul 2018
I'd say it's illegal but no one gives a fuck
Sep 18, 2018 5:10 PM
Sep 2018
Hi.. I'm from Canada and I heard others say that when you go to an illegal site, some people will come to your house to inspect.. So my question is, "Is the site 'mangakakalot.com' legal here?? Can someone please answer my question?? Thank you
Sep 18, 2018 5:36 PM

Sep 2018
sammario said:
Yes. It is illegal.
No, you probably won't get in trouble

You live in a University. They don't have physical mangas at their library?

Oh, PLEASE. Mangas at the library? Mangas at the bookstore is even laughable. If all you're interested in reading is Bleach and One Piece, maybe...
Sep 18, 2018 5:38 PM

Sep 2018
interfer0n said:
Okay, how about this then:

There's an app in the App Store (Apple) called Manga Rock. It's a free app where they offer the user to read free manga from many sources such as MangaFox, MangaHere, etc.

Why, then, is this allowed in the app store?

I think, at least with at particular app, only the mangas that they have the proper licensing for are accessible on that app. I say this because, if you go to the mangarock website, there are a ton of titles you can access that aren't available on the app, and the app even tell you that this is because of licensing issues.
Sep 19, 2018 5:01 PM
Apr 2018
I used to read manga through pirate sites and it got me into manga in the first place. I personally believe they are healthy for the industry to a certain extent. For sampling and for newcomers I reccomend them but once they become a long term source it is harmful to the industry. Purchasing manga is important for otaku to do because it helps pay mangaka and increase the amount of releases.
Sep 19, 2018 5:48 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
I'm the kind of person who would download a pizza. So reading manga online illegally does not matter.
Sep 19, 2018 6:46 PM

Jun 2016
Punpun3 said:
other guy: "i got 5 years for armed robbery and drug trafficking, and you?"
you: "reading manga ILLEGALLY"
other guy: *gasps*
Me: "I illegally streamed anime, downloaded a car, and lollygagged! Prepare Uranus!"
Sep 20, 2018 4:30 AM

Aug 2018
They are yet millions of people literally do so xd
Sep 20, 2018 4:54 AM

Nov 2014
Uh, 3 years old topic?

Anyway... depends on country. Where I live, and in many others, it's NOT illegal to watch/ready and download stuff. What can get you fined is sharing it with others, and that includes downloading with torrents, as those also upload.
Oct 9, 2018 9:30 AM

Feb 2018
In the eu it's illegal I think but you still won't really get into trouble.
Oct 9, 2018 10:17 AM

Dec 2013
xShinigami3125 said:

Is it? I don't actually think so though? I was under the impression that it was illegal to upload them, but not to read them. This is because images load automatically and this may lead to cases where the person commits a crime by clicking a link without knowing the contents. There is also the issue of the consumer being unable to tell the difference on what content is legal and what is not.

I do seem to remember that there was some debate with streaming video from illegal sites, because you have to load the video to your device's temporary memory in order to watch it (and therefore it would count as 'downloading' it), but even this can be considered a legal gray area.
Oct 9, 2018 10:46 AM

Feb 2018
NthDegree said:
xShinigami3125 said:

Is it? I don't actually think so though? I was under the impression that it was illegal to upload them, but not to read them. This is because images load automatically and this may lead to cases where the person commits a crime by clicking a link without knowing the contents. There is also the issue of the consumer being unable to tell the difference on what content is legal and what is not.

I do seem to remember that there was some debate with streaming video from illegal sites, because you have to load the video to your device's temporary memory in order to watch it (and therefore it would count as 'downloading' it), but even this can be considered a legal gray area.

The EuGH ruled that streaming is illegal now so I guessed that it would also count for this.
Oct 9, 2018 10:48 AM

Jan 2016
probably not, but you won't get in trouble for reading them. Also, I don't give a fuck about if it's illegal or not, if I'm gonna, I'm gonna read.
Oct 9, 2018 11:35 AM

Dec 2013
xShinigami3125 said:
NthDegree said:

The EuGH ruled that streaming is illegal now so I guessed that it would also count for this.

Hmm, even then I highly doubt the verdict is directly applicable to image format. If it was, this would make basically everyone a pirate - to my knowledge, the law doesn't make any distinction between seeing a series of images (eg. manga) vs. a singular image (eg. meme or screenshot). So by this logic, if you have seen a meme of a copyrighted property before, you are a criminal.
Oct 9, 2018 11:38 AM

Feb 2018
NthDegree said:
xShinigami3125 said:

Hmm, even then I highly doubt the verdict is directly applicable to image format. If it was, this would make basically everyone a pirate - to my knowledge, the law doesn't make any distinction between seeing a series of images (eg. manga) vs. a singular image (eg. meme or screenshot). So by this logic, if you have seen a meme of a copyrighted property before, you are a criminal.

well I guess I should probably look that all up some day but even if that were the case it's not like they are able/willing to enforce it (at least for now)

More topics from this board

» PINK BANANA is coming! The first English language book of its kind which collects some of the weirdest and most obscure manga of the 60s and 70s.

showashowcase - Apr 2

1 by St0rmblade »»
2 minutes ago

» Manga Wisdom for the Ages ( 1 2 )

Nekoburger - Aug 9, 2023

50 by Nekoburger »»
49 minutes ago

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

19 by LordZirkaZero »»
1 hour ago

» How long does it take you to read a LN volume?

Maou_heika - Feb 8

19 by Narushisto »»
1 hour ago

» I need help finding a manga that I have forgotten

codelyok13 - Yesterday

1 by codelyok13 »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.