Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 14, 2015 11:26 PM

Feb 2015
My Plan to Watch List is getting a little low for my liking and so I need some new recs. Looking for a couple different types of anime but I'm open to any series with a generally good story.

Here's what I'm looking for:

1. Looking for a straight sob-story of any genre (romance, drama, comedy, etc.). Only thing I've ever cried to while watching up until this point was the episode Pikachu leaves Ash xD I want to find any animes I can add to this list. Closest thing I've had to this recently was the ef series (Looked at the recs based on the two series and found one good anime off of the list but the others don't seem appealing from just reading the synopsis).

2. NEED MORE PLOT TWISTS. Always been more into animes with hella plot twists and so I need more to watch. Basically looking for any psychological animes that'll make me think. Favorite example of this type of anime is Ergo Proxy (Yes, I have looked through the recs based on this anime. Have added/watched all that seem appealing to me). If I've missed some psych animes that are good, let me know!

3. Basically any fighting anime that's good. Already plan on watching Akame ga Kill sooner or later but I need more fighting series. Interested in any type of fighting (whether it be martial arts, gunfights, etc.), the story just needs to revolve around the need to fight.

I tend to stay away from the big names (despite already having some on both my Completed and Plan to Watch lists) for whatever reason. I might overlook recs like Psycho-Pass and Sword Art Online just because I've already heard so much about them, whether it be good things or bad (after hearing so much, tehy just don't seem interesting anymore). I'm willing to give any series a look though so let me know
Apr 14, 2015 11:58 PM

Feb 2015
Clannad might make you cry (made me cry o.o) it's a romance/comedy but mostly romance.

Mirai Nikki for plot twists

Ooooh umm.... watch btooom! for an action
Made by Magiclighter.
Apr 14, 2015 11:59 PM

Jan 2015
Plot Twists? Penguindrum will do the trick
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Apr 15, 2015 12:00 AM

May 2014
hadewwken said:
1. Looking for a straight sob-story of any genre (romance, drama, comedy, etc.). Only thing I've ever cried to while watching up until this point was the episode Pikachu leaves Ash xD I want to find any animes I can add to this list. Closest thing I've had to this recently was the ef series (Looked at the recs based on the two series and found one good anime off of the list but the others don't seem appealing from just reading the synopsis).

Kotonoha no Niwa

hadewwken said:
2. NEED MORE PLOT TWISTS. Always been more into animes with hella plot twists and so I need more to watch. Basically looking for any psychological animes that'll make me think. Favorite example of this type of anime is Ergo Proxy (Yes, I have looked through the recs based on this anime. Have added/watched all that seem appealing to me). If I've missed some psych animes that are good, let me know!

Mousou Dairirin
Mawaru Penguindrum

hadewwken said:
3. Basically any fighting anime that's good. Already plan on watching Akame ga Kill sooner or later but I need more fighting series. Interested in any type of fighting (whether it be martial arts, gunfights, etc.), the story just needs to revolve around the need to fight.

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012)
Katanagatari

Apr 15, 2015 12:02 AM

Jun 2013
>> but I need more fighting series, the story just needs to revolve around the need to fight
Kill la Kill & Break Blade if you want

>> Plot twist
Aldnoah Zero & Madlax
SSSS_ShunariaApr 15, 2015 12:06 AM
Apr 15, 2015 12:16 AM
May 2014
Well First let me start by saying mad respect for openly admitting you cried during that scene with Pikachu and Ash those who say they didn't cry just don't want to admit it. Now let's get down to actually answering your question.

1) Straight sob story I've only got two for you: Toyko Ghoul, Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso

2) Three good plot twist/mystery/thriller: Higuarashi no Naku Koro ni (thriller, horror, kind of a mindfuck); Hyouka, a very well done mystery/slice of life that takes a very analytical approach to solving mysteries from a ridiculously lethargic dude, and just cause its not on your list but you've probably heard before Death Note.

3)A couple very solid fighting shows are Blood+ a vampire show its kind of a slow beginning but picks up quickly and Code Geass becaus its a mecha battle type show with a lot of plot twists and made me cry tears of fury at times but tried to avoid big name shows.

Hope I could be of service.

PS: Totally forgot Stein's Gate. Not gonna ruin it, great opening to show.
msrcaliApr 15, 2015 1:01 AM
How fitting (or depressing I haven't decided) for my 100th post to be about me complaining about dicks who review shows without finishing them.
Apr 15, 2015 12:19 AM
May 2014
magiclighter said:
Clannad might make you cry (made me cry o.o) it's a romance/comedy but mostly romance.

Mirai Nikki for plot twists

Ooooh umm.... watch btooom! for an action

Dude you need to actually read someone list before you post, especially when they specifically mention their list in the OP, they've already seen Mirai Nikki.
+1 to Clannad though
How fitting (or depressing I haven't decided) for my 100th post to be about me complaining about dicks who review shows without finishing them.
Apr 15, 2015 8:20 AM

Jan 2015
hadewwken said:
I tend to stay away from the big names (despite already having some on both my Completed and Plan to Watch lists) for whatever reason. I might overlook recs like Psycho-Pass and Sword Art Online just because I've already heard so much about them, whether it be good things or bad (after hearing so much, tehy just don't seem interesting anymore). I'm willing to give any series a look though so let me know
I used to do this and let me tell you, there is a reason they are popular. You should really watch Psycho-Pass is amazing (and the dub is excellent).

Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade (Budget) Works - The best animation in anime ever. Just watch this is you want a feast for the eyes with badass fights.

Code Geass - Plot twists left, right and center. Just amazing.

Phantom Requiem for the Phantom - (Gun's n Badassery) Something of a tragic story, at one point I literally sobbed, even though I usually on get teary eyed.

Blue Exorcist/Ao no Excorist - an awesome anime with pretty cool fight scenes and an awesome soundtrack with a good dub.

Nanatsu no Taizai - Some really awesome fight scenes.

Hellsing Ultimate
Apr 15, 2015 9:16 AM

Feb 2015
Appreciate the responses :D most of the recs I already have on my PTW list tho :/ atleast I know which ones I need to watch first lol added most of the new ones I haven't seen but still in need of more c:
Apr 15, 2015 9:34 AM

Feb 2015
2.Code geas

3.FMA:B, Berserk,
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 15, 2015 10:07 AM

Mar 2014
For plot twists (I guess) I reccomend:
Shoujo kakumei utena - Same director as mawaru penguindrum (Ikuhara) so you can expect similarities in some way, shape or form also

pretty rad ost
bishoujokaitouApr 15, 2015 10:13 AM
Apr 15, 2015 10:44 AM

Jul 2010
Bokurano is depressing as heck
Ano Hana
5 Centimeters per Second

Stein's Gate
Himitsu: The Revelation
Samurai Flamenco (not psych, hella slow beginning, but plot twists galore)

+1 Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Dogs: Bullets & Carnage
Sengoku Basara
Tokyo Majin

Apr 15, 2015 7:37 PM

Feb 2015
dodoo said:
Bokurano is depressing as heck
Ano Hana
5 Centimeters per Second

Stein's Gate
Himitsu: The Revelation
Samurai Flamenco (not psych, hella slow beginning, but plot twists galore)

+1 Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Dogs: Bullets & Carnage
Sengoku Basara
Tokyo Majin

Checked'em all out thanks
Apr 15, 2015 7:40 PM
Jan 2013
I would've recommended Code Geass. Plot twists and always a cliffhanger at the end of every episode but it looks like a lot of people already recommended you that.

Death Note
Fate/Zero
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Hunter x Hunter (2011)
Psycho-Pass
Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan
Steins;Gate
"How am I supposed to face the problem when the problem is my face?" - W.Lui

"A real man forgives a woman for her lies." - Sanji

"First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes adults flying through a portal in the sky." - NettoSaito

"I'm not a newbie it's just that I only registered a few days ago." - A newbie
Apr 15, 2015 7:49 PM

Feb 2015
Lelouch_Darsi said:
I would've recommended Code Geass. Plot twists and always a cliffhanger at the end of every episode but it looks like a lot of people already recommended you that.

Death Note
Fate/Zero
Hunter x Hunter (2011)
Psycho-Pass
Steins;Gate

Yea lol never heard of the series till now

Is that Rurouni Kenshin good? Have always been wary of getting sucked into a series that's more than 30 episodes long lol the dude with the wraps on his face look familiar but is the series good enough to sit through the 100 episodes?
Apr 15, 2015 7:51 PM

Apr 2014
Fighting:
Cowboy Bebop
Bleach
Rurouni Kenshin
One Piece
Hunter x Hunter (2011)
Fate/Zero
Kingdom

Good shows in general:
Death Note
Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World
Log Horizon
Kaiji
Apr 16, 2015 2:41 AM
Jan 2013
hadewwken said:
Lelouch_Darsi said:

Death Note
Fate/Zero
Hunter x Hunter (2011)
Psycho-Pass
Steins;Gate

Is that Rurouni Kenshin good? Have always been wary of getting sucked into a series that's more than 30 episodes long lol the dude with the wraps on his face look familiar but is the series good enough to sit through the 100 episodes?

Rurouni Kenshin is a very good series, but if you don't wish to watch such a long series I suggest you to skip the fillers. Here's a list of episodes which you must watch in order to understand the story:

Episodes 1-12
Episodes 19-21
Episodes 28-62

You don't have to watch the ones that I did not list since they aren't part of the main plot. Episodes 28 is when the series actually starts getting good, but Episodes 1-12 and and Episodes 19-21 are necessary for setting the story and establishing the characters' background.

But before Rurouni Kenshin, you must watch Code Geass first!!!
"How am I supposed to face the problem when the problem is my face?" - W.Lui

"A real man forgives a woman for her lies." - Sanji

"First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes adults flying through a portal in the sky." - NettoSaito

"I'm not a newbie it's just that I only registered a few days ago." - A newbie
Apr 18, 2015 12:11 AM

Sep 2013
Tegami Bachi
Shinreigari: Ghost Hound
Busou Renkin
Apr 18, 2015 1:01 AM

Feb 2015
sleepfulfish said:
Tegami Bachi
Shinreigari: Ghost Hound
Busou Renkin

Ooooooh nice recs, me likey c: thanks
Apr 18, 2015 1:03 AM

Feb 2015
Lelouch_Darsi said:
hadewwken said:

Rurouni Kenshin is a very good series, but if you don't wish to watch such a long series I suggest you to skip the fillers. Here's a list of episodes which you must watch in order to understand the story:

Episodes 1-12
Episodes 19-21
Episodes 28-62

You don't have to watch the ones that I did not list since they aren't part of the main plot. Episodes 28 is when the series actually starts getting good, but Episodes 1-12 and and Episodes 19-21 are necessary for setting the story and establishing the characters' background.

But before Rurouni Kenshin, you must watch Code Geass first!!!

Just saw this lol I appreciate the headsup on the fillers :D the breakdown definitely makes the total number of episodes less daunting, thanks! And alright lol I'll start Code Geass (sooner or later) before I get to Rurouni Kenshin
Apr 18, 2015 7:19 AM
Mar 2014
Claymore
Usagi Drop
Apr 18, 2015 1:11 PM

Feb 2015
quirkista said:
Claymore
Usagi Drop

I think I added Usagi Drop already but Claymore looks interesting, thanks

More topics from this board

» Watched one episode but forgot the name

Snailsoup - 3 hours ago

2 by Snailsoup »»
2 hours ago

» Anime that have all female guilds/clubs/groups/living places, etc

GakutoDeathGlare - Today

4 by Ten »»
3 hours ago

» New(ish) Manga Reader in Need of Recommendations!

Wakarimas-en - Yesterday

8 by Wakarimas-en »»
5 hours ago

» Anime recommendations please

MeZaDefined - 6 hours ago

0 by MeZaDefined »»
6 hours ago

» Similar animes to Tengoku Daimakyou ( 1 2 )

Salvaged - Apr 21

70 by Meline0102 »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.