Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 14, 2015 2:16 PM

Sep 2007
I'm not sure if it's just me but none of the characters sound like they do from the original series despite having the same actors. Haruhi sounds closest but even then not quite perfect. The passage of time, deliberate or just me?

Apr 15, 2015 12:16 AM

Feb 2008
In Yuki's case, this is the first time she doesn't talk like a robot, so it's natural for her to sound different. Not sure what the hell is wrong with Kyon. Does Sugita sound weird in the currently airing Gintama season as well? Did Sugita's voice mutate or is he just a lazy fuck trying to make a quick buck with this show?

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Apr 15, 2015 7:08 AM

Oct 2014
Theres nothing wrong
Apr 15, 2015 7:53 AM

Jan 2013
Well, Sugita doesn't really have much variance... I mean, he has none. He always sounds the same.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Apr 15, 2015 12:06 PM

Mar 2014
Maybe the voice actors dislike the series as well? I dunno
DawnJ said:
Well, Sugita doesn't really have much variance... I mean, he has none. He always sounds the same.
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Apr 15, 2015 2:42 PM

Dec 2013
To me, they seem the same.
What do you think about the planetarium? That beautiful twinkling of eternity that will never fade, no matter when....
Apr 15, 2015 3:58 PM

Mar 2013
Kyon sounds the same but I had to look up the voice characters because Yuki sounds totally different.
Apr 19, 2015 2:25 PM
Jul 2008
I have no idea why you'd expect characters from a different universe to have the same voices.

Kyon's change in voice is probably so he sounds more relaxed, also setting him appart from the main character role (or I might be reading to much into it), Yuki doesn't really need to be explained, both yukis are pretty much different characters.

Haruhi as well is in a whole different place than where she was in the original show, during the original show she started getting lost and losing faith in what she believed which was reflected on the tone and rythm of her voice, when she was then saved by kyon she started acting more cheerful, but her character gets tainted with this tsundere-ish love for kyon so it does affect the voice acting too. It does sound like Ayano is having some trouble pinning her old voice down though, can't blame her.

Koizumi went from being a spy watchiung over haruhi and disregarding any kind of interest for anyone else besides her, to just being a shy guy who likes haruhi, and his voice reflects it IMO.

And well, you can do the rest... At any rate, they are the same characters but voice acting isn't just about reading the lines in the script while feigning a tone of voice.
Apr 19, 2015 3:50 PM

Feb 2014
I don't think Kyon is all that different (I just can't get used with the characters design) But I think it has to do with the different direction
Apr 19, 2015 10:12 PM
Jul 2018
Gazz said:
Theres nothing wrong
Apr 20, 2015 4:31 PM

Sep 2007
ares5566 said:
People are really banking on this alternate dimension excuse. They're the exact same characters with the exact same personality. The only change is the events occurring to them. Yuki is an obvious exception to this since she's not a computer anymore. But everyone else' personality is the SAME.

This. Also, having read the original manga and currently reading this one, there is little difference in the characters in that medium but cannot understand why they are so different in the anime. Yuki is perhaps an exception.

Apr 21, 2015 4:55 AM

Jun 2008
Gazz said:
Theres nothing wrong
Agreed. I don't see a problem.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Apr 21, 2015 7:12 AM

Aug 2009
It's a bit due to the fact a lot of characters are not as well written as Tanigawa did.

Thus their behavior and talks are a bit more flat and less fitting the original character, the voice actors were used to them, so of course it can sound a bit strange.
Apr 21, 2015 7:25 AM
Jan 2012
I don't really see it as serious as a big "problem", but a few things might be noted:

1) Nagato is an exception (although honestly speaking I would have liked her as in the Disappearance movie). Haruhi is quite good at being Haruhi, though. Kyon seems to be more Kyon-like when he is with Haruhi, which might be a bit disturbing.
2) The script and lines are slightly but distinctly different from the Haruhi series.
3) Age and forgetting. But I'm convinced that noone can play Haruhi better than Hirano and Kyon better than Sugita. As for Nagato, ... well, Chihara Minori was an excellent Nagato in the original orthodox series and movie, and she's also great in Hibike! Euphonum.
4) Same sound director, but different director, and more importantly, different animation studio (with completely different talents [sorry, but you'd have to admit it], budget and time to spare/prepare).
5) It's better to enjoy this as a spin-off rather than comparing it with the orthodox Haruhi.
GohanwaOkazuApr 21, 2015 7:30 AM
Jun 5, 2015 9:32 PM

Sep 2007
I think the dub cast are doing a better job at reprising their roles ..

Jun 6, 2015 12:22 AM

Apr 2015
They sound the same to me, save Yuki, which makes sense.

Ziassan said:
It's a bit due to the fact a lot of characters are not as well written as Tanigawa did.

Thus their behavior and talks are a bit more flat and less fitting the original character, the voice actors were used to them, so of course it can sound a bit strange.

But Tanigawa plays a major part in the writing of the manga along with Puyo.
Jun 6, 2015 3:41 AM

Aug 2009
SmashTheOni said:

But Tanigawa plays a major part in the writing of the manga along with Puyo.

Well MAL should maybe indicate this because their is no mention of Tanigawa, anywhere on the Yuki chan manga page.
Even if he helped, the characters do act different from their original behavior, would it be just the "forced" actions from Kyon toward Nagato made for the sake of the Story, the fact the voice acting can ineded sound strange here and there is partly bound to that.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2015

138 by Shaka-bun »»
Mar 7, 10:54 PM

Poll: » Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2015

181 by Pitt83 »»
Mar 4, 9:59 AM

Poll: » Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 22, 2015

82 by Pitt83 »»
Feb 17, 11:06 AM

Poll: » Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 1, 2015

90 by Pitt83 »»
Feb 15, 7:49 AM

Poll: » Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2015

357 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Jan 31, 8:49 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.