Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 35 Discussion


Dec 8, 2009 8:13 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 248
talkngseverdhead said:
i don't remember that episode from edward's flashback. who was that dude standing in the blue/red glow? when did that happen? did i accidentally skip an ep?


First episode with the ice alchemist.
Modified by Omegaoveride, Dec 8, 2009 8:19 PM
 
Dec 8, 2009 9:48 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 46
gaaaahh i cant wait for the next episode!!
now everything comes to light *o*
i kinda feel sorry for sloth ^^
 
Dec 9, 2009 12:05 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 59
Poor Sloth...
 
Dec 9, 2009 12:54 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 492
Great episode!!!
Sloth is freeze....for now. Well he can rest for a moment after digging around the country for long time XD
The revelation of the country shape is also well explained,the homuculus didn't use the country,instead created it from scratch to carry their plan out. The bloody incident around country are part of the plans to create transmutation circle.
Also...

OMG Olivier looks so badass at the elevator scene before firing shells to Sloth!!
 
Dec 9, 2009 1:07 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 7062
I'd be chasing after Armstrong. <3
 
Dec 9, 2009 1:08 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 8429
HawthorneKitty said:
I'd be chasing after Armstrong. <3


get in line buddy!
 
Dec 9, 2009 1:47 AM
THEBEAST!

Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 639
dam, i was like holding my breath the whole episode :P
 
Dec 9, 2009 3:32 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 6963
Holy crap, the whole country?
 
Dec 9, 2009 4:17 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 401
Epic! Too Awesome for words to describe!

Keep it up, FMA.B!! You're the only shounen anime I can proudly give a 5/5 for making me on the edge of my chair! and I think I'm starting to like Olivier now <3!

5/5!!


Can't wait for next ep~~!
ho---------ge---------~~~
Peace, peace!! xPP
"Ore wa Kaizoku Ou ni narunda!!" -Luffy
"If you don't risk your life, you can't make a future." -Luffy
#1: "Who is this brute?" #2: "A monster!" -said about Luffy (by Bayan & Zap)
"It was nothing. We just beat him up because he pissed us off!" -Straw Hats Pirates >> Beware of their anger!
"Yo. Omae wo .. BO TSUBUSU!" -Luffy
"Man, That was fun!" -Luffy xDDD
"If that katana's the strongest, then I must be... the very, very, very, very, very, very, very ... STRONGEST OF ALL! THE PIRATE KING!" -Luffy
"Gomu Gomu no Home Run!" -Luffy xDDD
 
Dec 9, 2009 6:18 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 4367
sbyrstall said:
You're confusing two different concepts. Think of Sloth and the tanks as linemen in a football game. They were pushing each other. Hard to move to two bodies when they opposing each other. Now Sloth was flipped because his weight was used against him and the flipper used his body as a fulcrum. It's not hard if you have any level of hand-to-hand/martial arts training.


The problem here is you're comparing a human to tanks. What you're saying is that he has the force of one tank. Also, because he wasn't in motion (therefore unable to use inertia against him) the whole idea is still crazy. Tank shells being launched at a high velocity didn't knock him back. That's the kind of density we're talking about. A regular human shouldn't have been able to toss him so easily. It's on the same scale as Envy.
 
Dec 9, 2009 6:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 987
noteDhero said:
sbyrstall said:
You're confusing two different concepts. Think of Sloth and the tanks as linemen in a football game. They were pushing each other. Hard to move to two bodies when they opposing each other. Now Sloth was flipped because his weight was used against him and the flipper used his body as a fulcrum. It's not hard if you have any level of hand-to-hand/martial arts training.


The problem here is you're comparing a human to tanks. What you're saying is that he has the force of one tank. Also, because he wasn't in motion (therefore unable to use inertia against him) the whole idea is still crazy. Tank shells being launched at a high velocity didn't knock him back. That's the kind of density we're talking about. A regular human shouldn't have been able to toss him so easily. It's on the same scale as Envy.


I beg to differ.
In fact tank engines (especially the early ones it's 1918 after all) are very weak. They cannot accelerate the tank to even a moderate speed, let alone if additional weight in form of Sloth is added.
While Tank shells have a high velocity their mass is low, therefore their momentum is low as well (the same with the recoil). If the tank is not pushed back heavily by the recoil, Sloth as well shouldn't be by the impact. (Provided they possess similar mass)

Using gravitation to let somebody fall is easier if the mass is great, because its force is proportional to the mass.
 
Dec 9, 2009 7:02 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 4367
We can't say anything about the specific technology in the show since a big element of it is absolutely fictionalized. Again, with Sloth, you're not letting someone fall. You're taking a stationary object, lifting it, and then letting it fall. While displaying all the superhman strength and resistance Sloth has, it's utterly ridiculous to have him thrown (while not moving) by a mere human.
 
Dec 9, 2009 8:00 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 793
Proselyt said:
noteDhero said:
sbyrstall said:
You're confusing two different concepts. Think of Sloth and the tanks as linemen in a football game. They were pushing each other. Hard to move to two bodies when they opposing each other. Now Sloth was flipped because his weight was used against him and the flipper used his body as a fulcrum. It's not hard if you have any level of hand-to-hand/martial arts training.


The problem here is you're comparing a human to tanks. What you're saying is that he has the force of one tank. Also, because he wasn't in motion (therefore unable to use inertia against him) the whole idea is still crazy. Tank shells being launched at a high velocity didn't knock him back. That's the kind of density we're talking about. A regular human shouldn't have been able to toss him so easily. It's on the same scale as Envy.


I beg to differ.
In fact tank engines (especially the early ones it's 1918 after all) are very weak. They cannot accelerate the tank to even a moderate speed, let alone if additional weight in form of Sloth is added.
While Tank shells have a high velocity their mass is low, therefore their momentum is low as well (the same with the recoil). If the tank is not pushed back heavily by the recoil, Sloth as well shouldn't be by the impact. (Provided they possess similar mass)

Using gravitation to let somebody fall is easier if the mass is great, because its force is proportional to the mass.


i agree with noteDhero, the bit about the tank is useless cuz this a cartoon they dont have to use conventional wisdom from back then lol plus they use alchemy they could make better tank parts that way if they wanted

noteDhero said:
We can't say anything about the specific technology in the show since a big element of it is absolutely fictionalized. Again, with Sloth, you're not letting someone fall. You're taking a stationary object, lifting it, and then letting it fall. While displaying all the superhman strength and resistance Sloth has, it's utterly ridiculous to have him thrown (while not moving) by a mere human.
 
Dec 9, 2009 8:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 987
noteDhero said:
We can't say anything about the specific technology in the show since a big element of it is absolutely fictionalized. Again, with Sloth, you're not letting someone fall. You're taking a stationary object, lifting it, and then letting it fall. While displaying all the superhman strength and resistance Sloth has, it's utterly ridiculous to have him thrown (while not moving) by a mere human.

We know that they did not invent the internal combustion engine and therefore still have to use Steam engines. And those are totally unfit for acceleration.
First Sloth stood vertically and after the throw he lies flat, ergo he lost potential energy in the gravitational field. You don't need to use excessive Force to let that happen.
 
Dec 9, 2009 9:05 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 3916
noteDhero said:
sbyrstall said:
You're confusing two different concepts. Think of Sloth and the tanks as linemen in a football game. They were pushing each other. Hard to move to two bodies when they opposing each other. Now Sloth was flipped because his weight was used against him and the flipper used his body as a fulcrum. It's not hard if you have any level of hand-to-hand/martial arts training.


The problem here is you're comparing a human to tanks. What you're saying is that he has the force of one tank. Also, because he wasn't in motion (therefore unable to use inertia against him) the whole idea is still crazy. Tank shells being launched at a high velocity didn't knock him back. That's the kind of density we're talking about. A regular human shouldn't have been able to toss him so easily. It's on the same scale as Envy.
Did you forget to suspen the laws of physics when it comes to animation? lol

Ah, I didn't make any mention about force, I was talking about his mass. His mass was able to hold back a tank, and it took 3 to push him into the elevator.

Of course I made no mention of the shell, the previous posts are correct. The combination Sloth's mass and density is enough to overcome the momentum of the shell. The momentum of the shell is small compared Sloth, even with the high velocity.

As for throwing Sloth, Sloth wasn't thrown. Throwing consists of actually picking him and tossing him. Neither was done. Sloth's mass was used to move him through an arc that Falman created when he fell back. This isn't an impossibility. Happens all the time in wrestling (Greeko-Roman style). All Falman did was move Sloth's center of gravity, which caused an instability of Sloth's balance. Once unbalanced Sloth was easy to move. Sloth doesn't come across as Marvel Comic's Juggernut.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

 
Dec 9, 2009 9:07 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 4367
There are fully articulated mechanical arms. That's barely (if at all) possible now. We can't talk about technology. Besides, didn't they pour tank fuel on Sloth?
No. You don't need excessive force, compared to just pushing him down. Again, if it takes three tanks to slide him across the floor, It's absurd that it takes one human to lift and throw him.

throw -1 a : to propel through the air by a forward motion of the hand and arm <throw a baseball> b : to propel through the air in any manner <a rifle that can throw a bullet a mile> c : pitch 6b <threw a no-hitter>
2 a : to cause to fall <threw his opponent> b : to cause to fall off : unseat <the horse threw its rider> c : to get the better of : overcome <the problem didn't throw her>

I didn't think the definition of throw was necessary.

I'm not talking about suspending the laws of physics. I'm talking about a sensical comparison. You don't spend a whole episode displaying how hard it is to deal with him on a one on one, physical level, and then, when you don't need to anymore, let go of that rule. The point is sticking to the laws of the world you create. And for a show that has done this so well, it was jarring to see. Now if this were Fairy Tale or something, it wouldn't have even bothered me because that's the type of show it is.

It's too convenient.
Modified by noteDhero, Dec 9, 2009 9:14 AM
 
Dec 9, 2009 9:15 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 3916
noteDhero said:
There are fully articulated mechanical arms. That's barely (if at all) possible now. We can't talk about technology. Besides, didn't they pour tank fuel on Sloth?

Yeah, I've been noticing that also. It was just recently that an articular hand was build (and it's very basic).

No. You don't need excessive force, compared to just pushing him down. Again, if it takes three tanks to slide him across the floor, It's absurd that it takes one human to lift and throw him.
Also, that's correct, but Falman didn't lift and throw Sloth. He, in fact, did very little. He just used a fulcrum law and moved Sloth's center of gravity to make him unstable and, thus, used Sloth's own mass against him.

The Physics Of Forces In Judo: Making The Weak Equal To The Strong

Start in the 7th paragraph about the technique about using an opponent's mass against them.
Modified by Dodecahedron-O24, Dec 9, 2009 9:25 AM
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

 
Dec 9, 2009 10:08 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 793
sbyrstall said:
noteDhero said:
There are fully articulated mechanical arms. That's barely (if at all) possible now. We can't talk about technology. Besides, didn't they pour tank fuel on Sloth?

Yeah, I've been noticing that also. It was just recently that an articular hand was build (and it's very basic).

No. You don't need excessive force, compared to just pushing him down. Again, if it takes three tanks to slide him across the floor, It's absurd that it takes one human to lift and throw him.
Also, that's correct, but Falman didn't lift and throw Sloth. He, in fact, did very little. He just used a fulcrum law and moved Sloth's center of gravity to make him unstable and, thus, used Sloth's own mass against him.

The Physics Of Forces In Judo: Making The Weak Equal To The Strong

Start in the 7th paragraph about the technique about using an opponent's mass against them.


i just watched the episode again and Falman didnt do anything to Sloth lol it was Buccaneer
 
Dec 9, 2009 10:44 AM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 553
Wow, that was really interesting. Raven spilled it. Can't wait to see what happens next.
 
Dec 9, 2009 11:46 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 1620
Another nice episode. Sloth gets put on ice, while Raven and Kimblee make their appearance at the fort.

Also the confrontation between Kimblee and Miles was really intense:



I for one wouldn't want to piss Miles off... O_o Or Olivier:



I did like how Olivier flat out rejected Mustang thou ^_^ :



The scene between May and Marcoh where she was explaining Eastern Alchemy was hilarious, really liked the expressions on Marcoh and May here:



Also loved the last comment on Olivier's personality by Buccaneer ^_^:



Overall I like the pacing and the faithfulness to the manga in the last few episodes. They are right on track for a perfect 10/10 from me.

"Thousands have lived without love, not one without water." -Wystan Hugh
 
Dec 9, 2009 12:24 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 3262
This is so awesome.
I laughed when Ed and Al find out how Izumi survived for a month at briggs :D

Can't wait for next week... Hopefully more Miles/Kimblee scenes :)
 
Dec 9, 2009 1:50 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 2687
Just, wow.
And lol who wouldn't fall for Olivier's trap? She's such a strong beautiful woman. <3


 
Dec 9, 2009 1:54 PM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 8
sbyrstall said:
Ah, I didn't make any mention about force, I was talking about his mass. His mass was able to hold back a tank, and it took 3 to push him into the elevator.


No, it's not his mass that hold back the tank, it's his strength. Watch that scene again, just Olivier's tank was able to push Sloth all the way to the elevator when he began to use his strength to lift the tank to stop it. If he just stood there and did nothing, they wouldn't have needed 3 tanks to push him.

Sloth's power is his steel skin and incredible brutal strength, but he's not that hard to push or throw really. His mass is no where near Envy's btw.
 
Dec 9, 2009 2:41 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 5120
Eastern alchemy is pretty neat. Being able to travel through the veins of the earth in order to it.



#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
 
Dec 9, 2009 3:24 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 3916
suigetsu00 said:
i just watched the episode again and Falman didnt do anything to Sloth lol it was Buccaneer
Thanks...I couldn't remember who did it.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

 
Dec 9, 2009 3:37 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 57
Great eps as always


yeah kiss me baby.
(>-.-)> d(>.<)b <(-.-<)
 
Dec 9, 2009 3:53 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 1620
Romeodeaths said:
Great eps as always


yeah kiss me baby.


I almost fell off my chair laughing ^_^

"Thousands have lived without love, not one without water." -Wystan Hugh
 
Dec 10, 2009 7:58 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 148
Eclipse takes forever. *sigh* But I get it for free sitting at home so I really shouldn't complain.

The episode was good. Just, I wanted more Sloth. That reminds me. I miss Lust :'(
Chang gives Marcoh a chiro session :lol:

Another weird alchemist doctor in. Good thing he fixed Kimbley. We can get back to the action now :D

When they finally revealed what Father & Co. want to do with the country, it wasn't like a big surprise. I was thinking bigger. The entire world @_@; I think I'd make a better Father. I guess years of watching violent stuff has desensitized me. Raven is always pitching his tent, isn't he? Next episode looks like he's already spieling :P Makes you wonder if he saw through Olivier's little emo act. But that would be stretching it too far. Or not :|

What else... oh Izumi hahaha!! That was a nice little touch.

a question to the people. Is it just me or does the message does get lost somewhere in translation? Talking about Eclipse here.... Sometimes, the things alchemists say, well, they don't make a lot of sense. It sounds pretty cool, deep and meaningful but... Is it just me?
 
Dec 10, 2009 8:50 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 807
Glad that they're really starting to slow things down in the last several episodes. At the rate they were going before, they would have caught up to the manga with a few chapters left. They only covered about six chapters in the last five episodes.

Having read the manga, none of this is a big surprise for me, of course, but it was still fun to see the true scale of Father's big plan start to become unveiled.

 
Dec 10, 2009 9:08 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 793
ArnoldK said:
Glad that they're really starting to slow things down in the last several episodes. At the rate they were going before, they would have caught up to the manga with a few chapters left. They only covered about six chapters in the last five episodes.

Having read the manga, none of this is a big surprise for me, of course, but it was still fun to see the true scale of Father's big plan start to become unveiled.


idk where you got 6 chapters lol.....the last 5 eps have covered 10 chapters

ep 31 started with chapter 58 and ep 35 ended with the beginning of chapter 68.....its a pet peeve of mine to see someone post incorrect info >< they usually do 1.5-2 chapters an ep
 
Dec 10, 2009 9:36 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 807
suigetsu00 said:
ArnoldK said:
Glad that they're really starting to slow things down in the last several episodes. At the rate they were going before, they would have caught up to the manga with a few chapters left. They only covered about six chapters in the last five episodes.

Having read the manga, none of this is a big surprise for me, of course, but it was still fun to see the true scale of Father's big plan start to become unveiled.


idk where you got 6 chapters lol.....the last 5 eps have covered 10 chapters

ep 31 started with chapter 58 and ep 35 ended with the beginning of chapter 68.....its a pet peeve of mine to see someone post incorrect info >< they usually do 1.5-2 chapters an ep


No,, episode 31 started with 62.

Episode 30, the Ishval flashback, covered 58-61 (well, the beginning of 62...).

There was nothing in 35 that covered 68 at all. I just double checked.

Episodes 31-35 basically covered chapters 62-67.

 
Dec 10, 2009 9:52 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 793
ArnoldK said:
suigetsu00 said:
ArnoldK said:
Glad that they're really starting to slow things down in the last several episodes. At the rate they were going before, they would have caught up to the manga with a few chapters left. They only covered about six chapters in the last five episodes.

Having read the manga, none of this is a big surprise for me, of course, but it was still fun to see the true scale of Father's big plan start to become unveiled.


idk where you got 6 chapters lol.....the last 5 eps have covered 10 chapters

ep 31 started with chapter 58 and ep 35 ended with the beginning of chapter 68.....its a pet peeve of mine to see someone post incorrect info >< they usually do 1.5-2 chapters an ep


No,, episode 31 started with 62.

Episode 30, the Ishval flashback, covered 58-61 (well, the beginning of 62...).

There was nothing in 35 that covered 68 at all. I just double checked.

Episodes 31-35 basically covered chapters 62-67.


ok i just checked again and you are probably right lol
 
Dec 10, 2009 1:23 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 33
Maaaaan, good episode! I can't wait to see how things turn out.

Also, laughing so hard at your physics discussion. I've long since given up on trying to explain the physics of anime; it's a lost cause.
 
Dec 10, 2009 2:54 PM
Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 1409
Good episode, and lmao @ trying to explain any piece of fictional entertainment laws of physics.
Dead Account
Please Delete
 
Dec 10, 2009 9:17 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 2086
damn this story is getting better and better...FMA FTW

http://gamesmind.wordpress.com/2009/12/11/fullmetal-alchemist-35-what-a-drag/

my entry on this
 
Dec 11, 2009 3:00 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 249
hands down, this was brilliant.

5/5
 
Dec 13, 2009 6:10 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 11
Awesome episode! Just love this series!!
 
Dec 25, 2009 5:53 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 1700
Another absolutely amazing episode. This line of great episodes makes me happy. :>

That doctor with the golden tooth... Creepy much? D:' And it's somehow hard to believe that that's the end of Sloth... I haven't read the manga so I don't know, but he was really a short-lived character if that was the last time we see him.

Raven fell for it, huh... Olivier's a good actor. :x
 
Jan 7, 2010 10:02 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 5115
wow that general fell for it quickly
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
 
Jan 11, 2010 12:18 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1178
Woah Sloth! :O
 
Jan 21, 2010 9:28 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 1087
All of the Sloth battle bit was immense. I love Olivier Armstrong. She's quite awesome.
 
May 20, 2010 5:39 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 2166
Now I know why Sloth was digging. I'm really excited to see how their plan against the military will unfold.
 
May 29, 2010 7:34 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 221
NeloDeath said:
Good episode, and lmao @ trying to explain any piece of fictional entertainment laws of physics.


Yup. Made me lol a bit
 
Jul 10, 2010 10:15 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1657
I see where this is going. So the country is made for the mastermind to create a large transmutation circle using its people as sacrifices to achieve something. Envy said it's not a philosopher stone so I'm guessing it's a circle to open the gate of truth?

So Briggs is the only area left for the transmutation circle to be complete huh? I think a war will pop up soon. I don't think lady Armstrong will accept that offer from Raven since she has her pride and dignity.

So everyone is working together to bring the Central army down huh? Too bad they killed that alchemist in the first episode. He would have been a great help.
 
Sep 10, 2010 1:27 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 4882
I actually liked Sloth! LOL!!
 
Mar 18, 2011 8:46 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 50528
alright the next episode is what i have been waiting for :D

Behold of my awesomeness~
 
Jul 14, 2011 7:29 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 4110
Immortal army... blah, Raven is such a fool. I hope he really fell for it. I'm just interested what will happen next.
 
Jul 17, 2011 10:18 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 629
Eclipse does the best job subbing though.
 
Aug 6, 2011 12:38 PM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 1453
Oh, so that was what Hughes realized back then... And now, the Briggs is the last place missing on their huge transmutation circle. I never expected that the CREATION of the country was a part of the plan.

Sent with Mal Updater
 
Jan 21, 2012 10:29 AM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 456
Nice battle
 
Top
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »