Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (35) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »
Apr 18, 2015 12:39 PM

Sep 2011
FlamepriesT said:
CloudStrifeFFVII said:
Hey VN players, except for CookingPriest what would you give this episode?!~

My vote was "it was ok". Thoughts:

• The Illya flashback started right when the fight was about to get serious, so those who were expectation action at that point probably thought "meh". I'm not sure if there was a better time to show it though, so I'll leave it at that.
  • There wasn't a clear explanation as to why those homunculi in the pool were all pierced by swords.
  • They didn't explain why Illya didn't deal with the wolves herself or why Berserker just used his body as a shield to protect Illya from them (instead of getting rid of them right away).
  • I honestly expected more action based on what those who watched the preview said. And better action. But then again, that's why you can't know for sure until you actually see the episode.
  • They showed a cut a little after the flashback finished and then suddenly we got to see Berserker pierced by several swords. Except we didn't see that take place at all, just like in the previous episode. I find it hard to believe there was any censorship issue, since Gil pierces Berserker's heart with a huge weapon later, so I don't know why they didn't show it. Maybe that's just me, but I find this sort of stuff pretty odd. I don't like it, but I'll overlooked that.
  • I liked how they did show Illya being blind by Gil. That's one of the things that saved this episode imo, but I'm sure other people enjoyed it more than me so I won't speak for them.
  • I won't go into detail, but there's still something missing at the end of this episode. The only logical conclusion is they'll show it at the beginning of ep 4, but I have no idea why they didn't do it now. It would've been a great way to wrap it up.

All in all, I expected more. So I give it a 2.5-3/5.

Probably to invalidate all the puns that were numerous in the previous thread, lol.
Apr 18, 2015 12:40 PM

Nov 2012
chat77 said:
Why are you watching then in the first place?Please go away and watch edgy grim dark stories where the MCs will not really have any morals and will be edgy because they allow an apparent child to die in front of their eyes because LEL war and Fuck you Morality...
For someone who has watched so many anime you really have a distorted view of what you have watched, or you have watched a very specific selection if you honestly believe every MC that isn't stupendously stubborn in his ideals is an edgy moral-less MC. There aren't only 2 options.
As for the question, I watch for the rest of the story, lore, and the relationship of the other characters because Shirou's relationships would be zoomed down to him killing himself because he just wants to be a super hero who saves everyone no matter what.
As for the child, Tohsaka behaved much more rationally instead of chimping out against a demigod who just killed a giant super ogre.
Apr 18, 2015 12:40 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
CloudStrifeFFVII said:
Hey VN players, except for CookingPriest what would you give this episode?!~
Well it was good, but not as good as I was hoping. The flashback felt needlessly drawn out and didn't give enough room for what actually happened in the present

3.5/5 maybe
Apr 18, 2015 12:41 PM

Oct 2013
xcllnt said:
emobuttercup said:
They really tried to make the viewer feel bad for Illya here by randomly throwing in her tragic backstory right before her death. It all seemed pretty rushed and forced to me. Throughout all this series they were building up something for her, but the payoff was pathetic. All it did was reveal who she was and what her backstory was. Yeah, there was that whole friendship with Berserker thing, but that was only for like a few minutes. And the only development was that you get to see that Berserker wanted to protect Illya (such shonen bullshit). Even if you watched F/Z, there's hardly any screentime for Illya to care much for her other than being the daughter of the main characters and having a slight foreshadowing that she'll be involved in the next hgw. And that pisses me off even more. They've been building up for Illya in both f/z and this sequel, and she dies before we can truly care for her. That 15 minute backstory can only do so much.
And Berserker breaking out of the chains and coming back to life all looked like the power of friendship bullshit to me. The VN might have explained more of that and Illya's backstory and character development, but this show failed at it.

You know F/SN has three routes, right?

I do. But I see the routes as completely different stories.
I'd go with emobubbles, but someone else already had it, damn bastard.

May 2013
xcllnt said:
emobuttercup said:
They really tried to make the viewer feel bad for Illya here by randomly throwing in her tragic backstory right before her death. It all seemed pretty rushed and forced to me. Throughout all this series they were building up something for her, but the payoff was pathetic. All it did was reveal who she was and what her backstory was. Yeah, there was that whole friendship with Berserker thing, but that was only for like a few minutes. And the only development was that you get to see that Berserker wanted to protect Illya (such shonen bullshit). Even if you watched F/Z, there's hardly any screentime for Illya to care much for her other than being the daughter of the main characters and having a slight foreshadowing that she'll be involved in the next hgw. And that pisses me off even more. They've been building up for Illya in both f/z and this sequel, and she dies before we can truly care for her. That 15 minute backstory can only do so much.
And Berserker breaking out of the chains and coming back to life all looked like the power of friendship bullshit to me. The VN might have explained more of that and Illya's backstory and character development, but this show failed at it.

That's irrelevant, the show still failed at it.
Sep 2011
Gil was beautiful.
Apr 18, 2015 12:43 PM

Feb 2010
I am the only crazy one that noticed a sound from Dark Souls 2?

At 5:04 (depending on the sub) when the illya is looking outside and the door closes it sounds exactly like the ballista sound from DS2, it's also quite a weird sound for a door of that type closing.

You can hear it at 0:15

I might just be crazy tho.

Sep 2014
Vaiyoretto said:
Gil was beautiful.

Gil is and was always a Bishie.
The sun is a deadly laser

Sep 2013
The problem isn't that Illya was strong and died that way, I guess.

It would be okay and stuff, but in the case, I didn't like how they structured it.

They didn't manage to make me, a person who didn't read the VN, sympathize with her.
Apr 18, 2015 12:44 PM

Oct 2014
Vanisher said:

At 5:04 (depending on the sub) when the illya is looking outside and the door closes it sounds exactly like the ballista sound from DS2, it's also quite a weird sound for a door of that type closing.

[yt]Afm_jOSCTxg[/ yt]

Nasu is a HUGE Dark Souls fan, so it could be an easter egg.
Apr 18, 2015 12:45 PM

Jun 2009
Damn, Fai's still doing this? I haven't been on these for years but he's still at it?

Well to those who are not aware, Fai is an unfortunate soul who has reread Fate so much that he has effectively intertwined HeadCanon and actual Canon. Sadly he can no longer tell the difference despite his massive leaps in logic and contradictions present even in the text he preaches. It is effectively the reason why he preaches in place where people wouldn't be quite as knowledgeable about the VN. Because if he did preach to people who actually knew the VN they would laugh him out so fast it would be as if he was never there to begin with.
I ask that you disregard any "Knowledge" he has of the fate series and treat him with pity as he can no longer enjoy this series as a true fate fan would.

On the actual topic, I thought it was a well executed episode. I wish they could have added more to the fight but there is more here than the actual VN had.

"I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lemon, ...and a shot of tequila."

Apr 18, 2015 12:45 PM

Feb 2015
Sonotoki said:
chat77 said:
Why are you watching then in the first place?Please go away and watch edgy grim dark stories where the MCs will not really have any morals and will be edgy because they allow an apparent child to die in front of their eyes because LEL war and Fuck you Morality...
For someone who has watched so many anime you really have a distorted view of what you have watched, or you have watched a very specific selection if you honestly believe every MC that isn't stupendously stubborn in his ideals is an edgy moral-less MC. There aren't only 2 options.
As for the question, I watch for the rest of the story, lore, and the relationship of the other characters because Shirou's relationships would be zoomed down to him killing himself because he just wants to be a super hero who saves everyone no matter what.
As for the child, Tohsaka behaved much more rationally instead of chimping out against a demigod who just killed a giant super ogre.

First of all your entire criticism made me look at you as a guy who completely misinterprets what FSN based on the the growing trend nowadays,"more blood,more mature"
1)Was he able to do anything in the first place,so where does your entire point of plot armor comes into play?
2)As to the reason why he takes his ideals to such an extreme level,you are going to find out in the next couple of eps if I am not wrong..
>Stubborn: It doesn't matter if I am ridiculously outclassed by my opponent, if I chant my ideals not even gods could stop me, I just need to trust my plot armor that I'll live till the end! Believe it!

Shirou never once thinks that believing in his ideals will allow him to save everyone as far as I can remember. He actually thinks about his situation and what his ideals entail. The anime leaves it out because Miura's method of 'visual story telling'.The anime has not really portrayed him properly uptill now.He knows he can't achieve his ideals but he will try achieving it
laidellentApr 18, 2015 12:50 PM
Apr 18, 2015 12:46 PM

Feb 2010
nocorras said:
Vanisher said:

Nasu is a HUGE Dark Souls fan.

Also! when Berserker revives at 2:58 it sounds too much like Bloodborne stagger/parry sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRa2H390wDQ
at 0:03

Aug 2014
As a VN player I give it 10/10 discounting flashbacks (9/10 with flashbacks)

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.

Nov 2012
nocorras said:
This is what people think when they don't show that Shirou actually thinks about his actions and is self aware that his ideal is impossible and that he's selfless to a point of being suicidal. All of this could have easily been told in very small monologues in certain situations.

>Stubborn: It doesn't matter if I am ridiculously outclassed by my opponent, if I chant my ideals not even gods could stop me, I just need to trust my plot armor that I'll live till the end! Believe it!

Shirou never once thinks that believing in his ideals will allow him to save everyone as far as I can remember. He actually thinks about his situation and what his ideals entail. The anime leaves it out because 'visual story telling'

Shirou is a very broken person but he's aware of that fact.

This is what he thinks before he goes out to scream this episode: http://imgur.com/8tzE9Vw

This is what he thinks before he jumps down to save Rin: http://i.imgur.com/G5ZceLB.jpg

This is something cut from the 1st episode: http://imgur.com/a/bTzk6

This is a monologue they butchered in episode 9: http://i.imgur.com/XwgEtPO.png

Interesting, thanks for showing me this info. I had no interest in the VN before knowing Shirou isn't as bland as he is portrayed in the anime.
Apr 18, 2015 12:47 PM
Jun 2014
emobuttercup said:
xcllnt said:

I do. But I see the routes as completely different stories.

The stories are different, but each route gives the reader a few more details about certain characters. It is unfortunate that there is no Fate adaptation since anime only viewers would care more about Illya after that route. People who are disappointed should either read the VN or wait until HF comes out. UBW is not the whole story but only one third of F/SN.
Apr 18, 2015 12:48 PM
Oct 2007
Ending it with Dr Gil Time would have been stupid and would've ruined the mood they were going for. I don't know why people were arguing for it to be included at the end.
Normal well-adjusted human being
May 2012
nocorras said:
Sonotoki said:
How can anyone possibly like this shitty MC?
Shirou is easily the most bland, stubborn, illogical and annoying MC I've seen.
Bland: I want to become a super hero and save everyone, even if I recklessly die before even saving 1 person, that's it, that's my personality so far. I also cook
Stubborn: It doesn't matter if I am ridiculously outclassed by my opponent, if I chant my ideals not even gods could stop me, I just need to trust my plot armor that I'll live till the end! Believe it!
Illogical: I can't save anyone if I'm dead, but who cares, my ideals will protect me from bullets.
Annoying: *all the above*

Shirou is like a parentless child who really wants a toy, he goes in the store but he has no money because he is poor, so he just throws a tantrum and screams a lot because that toy he wants is really good for his friends and everyone, until he is about to be kicked out of the store but manages to beat the muscled security store owner and get what he wants because the toy is just that good.

-

On this ep: Please tell me why was Shirou chimping out at the end? Gilgamesh defeated berserker and the next step was killing his master. Is it because Illya is a cute little girl? No way, let the girl win, she's so cute and small, it's just a war, you monster.

This is what people think when they don't show that Shirou actually thinks about his actions and is self aware that his ideal is impossible and that he's selfless to a point of being suicidal. All of this could have easily been told in very small monologues in certain situations.

Shirou never once thinks that believing in his ideals will allow him to save everyone as far as I can remember. He actually thinks about his situation and what his ideals entail. The anime leaves it out because 'visual story telling'

I think he has a few monologues regarding that in the beginning of the anime, but... Well, there's still room for his character to be better explained. I don't think he's being so different from the VN, though. He actually feels pretty idiotic until like 3/4 of the route.

Sep 2014
Wintovisky said:

It would be okay and stuff, but in the case, I didn't like how they structured it.

They didn't manage to make me, a person who didn't read the VN, sympathize with her.

Yup. Unless you've read Fate route or FZ, you wouldn't really get the scene.

Especially the flashback, which you wouldn't get unless you'd read Fate and HF. :I
Apr 18, 2015 12:49 PM

May 2009
GrimaH said:
Ending it with Dr Gil Time would have been stupid and would've ruined the mood they were going for. I don't know why people were arguing for it to be included at the end.
Agreed.
Apr 18, 2015 12:50 PM

Sep 2014
AidanAK47 said:
Damn, Fai's still doing this? I haven't been on these for years but he's still at it?

Well to those who are not aware, Fai is an unfortunate soul who has reread Fate so much that he has effectively intertwined HeadCanon and actual Canon. Sadly he can no longer tell the difference despite his massive leaps in logic and contradictions present even in the text he preaches. It is effectively the reason why he preaches in place where people wouldn't be quite as knowledgeable about the VN. Because if he did preach to people who actually knew the VN they would laugh him out so fast it would be as if he was never there to begin with.
I ask that you disregard any "Knowledge" he has of the fate series and treat him with pity as he can no longer enjoy this series as a true fate fan would.

On the actual topic, I thought it was a well executed episode. I wish they could have added more to the fight but there is more here than the actual VN had.

You, sir, are my new sig.

Aug 2014
Wintovisky said:

Yeah lots of structural problems due to the fact that this is ilya's worst route (her character is established in fate then hugely expanded upon in the third route)

Oct 2012
FlamepriesT said:
I won't go into detail, but there's still something missing at the end of this episode. The only logical conclusion is they'll show it at the beginning of ep 4, but I have no idea why they didn't do it now. It would've been a great way to wrap it up.

You know, when I'm thinking about it, it's pretty possible they won't show the scene and leave it out for some flashback later. Which would be pretty lame if you ask me. Otherwise I really don't know why would they decide to put it to the beginning of the next episode, it would be really stupid pacing decision.
Apr 18, 2015 12:51 PM

Jul 2007
Tokoya said:

1. Okay? It stil showed a testament to Berserker's strength and willpower....Having Gil react like that gives more credit to Berserker which isn't a bad thing since he deserves it.....It really doesn't matter if Gil expected it or not because quite frankly he still got rekt

The testament of Willpower in VN was enough. This is just silly

2. Don't see how this matters since no matter which way you put it, that entire situation was really freaking sad.....Also him breaking out of the chains to stop Gil from doing whatever he was about to do (After seemingly dying) as well as the remark that Gil made at the end about him pretty much shows that protector/father-like instincts that Berserker had for Ilya

It changes the emotional level of the scene and makes scene more hollow just like all the changes.

3. How was this scene not emotional lol? This must be a joke xD His facial expressions and his screams conveyed the tension and emotions in the air...It reflected the watchers reaction to it (And I read your claim about how anime only's won't feel anything - Dude most of us have seen Fate/Zero already and Ilya left a great impression during the parts that she had in the first cour, she is a FAN FAVORITE and she is the epitome of kawaii so naturally a lot of people would like her....Some of the things that you're saying just to justify your salt is getting really tired and annoying and is just plain ridiculous. As you can see from this thread, apart from the butthurt VN readers such as yourself, we are all saddened by her death

Illya had literally 10 minutes in Zero and as much in UBW So far. Fan favorite for zerofags she is not. She is fanfavorite of legit VN readers for no reasons connected to adaptations.

4. I didn't notice this until a certain someone who is surely going to talk about this in his review (And possibly live reaction) but that scene was a throwback to KnK - Finding meaning in meaninglessness (Same universe, same world, same ideologies). It also did really well to further establish Ilya's character....I shouldn't need to explain how

That is not the message of KnK. GG on missing the point.

5. Now you're just nitpicking....This scene didn't last no longer than 4 seconds -_- But regardless of that, it had meaning.....
- Ilya thinking that servants are mindless tools
- She abandoned him in the Forrest thinking that he doesn't give a shit about her
- She gets attacked thinking that no (one especially Berserker) will come to save her s
- Berserker proved her wrong by coming out of his own free will to save her from dying
- Thus begins the start of the father figure/protector thing - Showing that he cares about her

Illya a super powered magus that can match up to RIN(who is close to top of food chain) gets chewed by wolves? How about no.
It was needless edge and it did not contain the main points of winter forest from VN.

There was also a throwback to Fate/ Kaleid - Illya's Mindset - We see the true reasons why the grail should have been removed. The markings explain a lot along with the Holy Grail talking with her. The torment she went through was something unexpected.

That's not a throwback as FKLP is part of actual canon and not ufoubw and was written before ufoubw.

The grail was not talking to her.
THe markings are command seals and no they are ont evil, you clearly have not read the VN.

Siegzilla said:
You're mocked relentlessly on Beast's Lair BTW.

^Has not read the VN beyond Fate route
^ Thinks reading the VN twice is a big "achievement"
^ THInks fate is Sexist.
^ Started with Zero
^ Thinks Zero helps in anyway to understand UBW in VN.

I am sorry mate but you are the kind of person most of actual VN fanbase would laugh at.
And I don't give a shit what BL thinks. Most of actual longtime fans there are too busy with shitposting to actually care to participate in discussions and the place has been quite filled with VN Skimmers like you as of late.
Apr 18, 2015 12:51 PM

Oct 2013
Kokko said:
xcllnt said:

I hate it when I criticize the show, people tell me I'm wrong because the VN did so and so. When I'm criticizing the show, I criticizing the f*cking show, not the original content. This show is failing as a standalone. As an adaptation, I can't say, I've never finished the VN.
Apr 18, 2015 12:52 PM

Dec 2014
Vanisher said:

[yt]Afm_jOSCTxg[ /yt]

I might just be crazy tho.

Aye. These are always fun things to notice. Now I just want the use of the parry sound from DS2. Would make my day.

Even if you go back to the first few episodes of season 1, the amount of sounds used from other products is great.
Apr 18, 2015 12:53 PM

Jul 2007
emobuttercup said:
Kokko said:

I hate it when I criticize the show, people tell me I'm wrong because the VN did so and so. When I'm criticizing the show, I criticizing the f*cking show, not the original content. This show is failing as a standalone. As an adaptation, I can't say, I've never finished the VN.

It fails as adaptation too even if we assume people have read fate route before this.

And yeah a lot of people here cant separate their feelings about quite brilliant and deep VN from this adaptation.
Apr 18, 2015 12:54 PM

Jun 2011
emobuttercup said:
Kokko said:

They will adapt the Heaven's Feel though. I see those two route as Ufo FSN as a whole

Aug 2014
emobuttercup said:

They clearly did expect people to read Fate though, since Ufotable distributed it for free (well, in Japan, since no one cares about gaijin's).
But even ignoring that, Heaven's Feel is yet to come out, which is being animated.

Oct 2014
emobuttercup said:
Kokko said:

[IMG]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c301/emoblossom123/BRkm0vw_700wa_0_zpsyk1a5ojp.gif[/I MG] I hate it when I criticize the show, people tell me I'm wrong because the VN did so and so. When I'm criticizing the show, I criticizing the f*cking show, not the original content. This show is failing as a standalone. As an adaptation, I can't say, I've never finished the VN.

Well this is the cause of a major rift on these forums. I think the anime should standalone and not have to fall back on the VN so heavily in order to get the point across. Some people don't agree/don't care since they have VN knowledge to fill in the gaps.

And imo HF falls flat without Fate (but Fate is given out for free in Japan).
Apr 18, 2015 12:55 PM

Dec 2007
In a way FSN UBW is trying to break new ground, and as expected of doing something new is slipping up a little at a time. This is the FIRST VN adaptation to my knowledge that isn't jut trying to be a copypaste (and in almost all other cases a REALLY SHITTY ONE). NO, FSN UBW is actually attempting to work as an extension of the original game by telling the story from different angles, filling in gaps we didn't even think about before. In a way it's starting to be more apt to think of this anime as an extension of the original work and not just a redo. If we were to talk about anime only watchers? It's hard to say, I can't speak as one and I've seen too much divide.

Now of course for the actual episode, the flashback was placed a little haphazardly but possibly do to the time constraint. With Nasu fitting in original content I would think that this episode was trimmed down a bit so I've been more excited for this BD than any other. BUt overall, very good episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 18, 2015 12:55 PM

Jul 2013
R.I.P Illya T.T

Berserker got annihilated, as to be expected of Gil.
Apr 18, 2015 12:57 PM

Aug 2014
BL is way better than MAL. One thing that even fai must give this adaptation is that it felt like goldie was actually throwing swords at people instead of gold bemus.

Oct 2013
Insertanamehere said:
emobuttercup said:

They clearly did expect people to read Fate though, since Ufotable distributed it for free (well, in Japan, since no one cares about gaijin's).
But even ignoring that, Heaven's Feel is yet to come out, which is being animated.
Yeah, but the each route should be able to stand on its own too and shouldn't have to heavily rely on the other routes to be a strong story.

Oct 2014
Ketuekigami said:
In a way FSN UBW is trying to break new ground, and as expected of doing something new is slipping up a little at a time. This is the FIRST VN adaptation to my knowledge that isn't jut trying to be a copypaste (and in almost all other cases a REALLY SHITTY ONE). NO, FSN UBW is actually attempting to work as an extension of the original game by telling the story from different angles, filling in gaps we didn't even think about before. In a way it's starting to be more apt to think of this anime as an extension of the original work and not just a redo.

Now of course for the actual episode, the flashback was placed a little haphazardly but possibly do to the time constraint. With Nasu fitting in original content I would think that this episode was trimmed down a bit so I've been more excited for this BD than any other. BUt overall, very good episode.

Fills in gaps about things that aren't all that important and then leaves things about Shirou out, which are very important.
Apr 18, 2015 12:59 PM

Aug 2014
Ketuekigami said:
In a way FSN UBW is trying to break new ground, and as expected of doing something new is slipping up a little at a time. This is the FIRST VN adaptation to my knowledge that isn't jut trying to be a copypaste (and in almost all other cases a REALLY SHITTY ONE). NO, FSN UBW is actually attempting to work as an extension of the original game by telling the story from different angles, filling in gaps we didn't even think about before. In a way it's starting to be more apt to think of this anime as an extension of the original work and not just a redo. If we were to talk about anime only watchers? It's hard to say, I can't speak as one and I've seen too much divide.

This sums up a lot of my thoughts. The people watching and buying this show in Japan will have read the VN already. Really this show is fanservice but really darn good fanservice.

Dec 2014
Ketuekigami said:
In a way FSN UBW is trying to break new ground, and as expected of doing something new is slipping up a little at a time. This is the FIRST VN adaptation to my knowledge that isn't jut trying to be a copypaste (and in almost all other cases a REALLY SHITTY ONE). NO, FSN UBW is actually attempting to work as an extension of the original game by telling the story from different angles, filling in gaps we didn't even think about before. In a way it's starting to be more apt to think of this anime as an extension of the original work and not just a redo.

But of course. Trying to extend is always nice. But from what I understand the main complaint of some is how the characters are not being portrayed as well as they could/should have been compared to VN.

Which I can agree with to an extent.

Oct 2013
Ketuekigami said:

I will give the show credit for trying out new things with the story (I hate it when an anime adaptation of a manga is just the manga panels put into color and the mouths are moving. And they don't make any changes to parts of the story that had flaws.)(I know fate is a vn, but you still get the point). However, they could still do a better job at it.
emobuttercupApr 18, 2015 1:02 PM

Jul 2007
Its so ironic that Kekkai Sensen's 20 Minutes of two people playing chess was more well directed and presented with more tension than entirety of ufoFSN so far.

nocorras said:
emobuttercup said:

[IMG]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c301/emoblossom123/BRkm0vw_700wa_0_zpsyk1a5ojp.gif[/I MG] I hate it when I criticize the show, people tell me I'm wrong because the VN did so and so. When I'm criticizing the show, I criticizing the f*cking show, not the original content. This show is failing as a standalone. As an adaptation, I can't say, I've never finished the VN.

Well this is the cause of a major rift on these forums. I think the anime should standalone and not have to fall back on the VN so heavily in order to get the point across. Some people don't agree/don't care since they have VN knowledge to fill in the gaps.

And imo HF falls flat without Fate (but Fate is given out for free in Japan).

I am in the position that UBW adaptaiton should be able to stand on its own WITHOUT UBW Route, but with obvious need of fate material that is intended to be read before it.

Sadly ufoUbw does not accomplish that.

- UfoFSN fails as complimentary material because while reading the VN adds some understanding, a lot of shit here directly contradicts the VN in worst ways possible and a lot feels like insult to VN.
- Ufo FSN fails as standalone adaptation because lack of fate route.
- UFO FSN fails as standalone anime too because al ot of shit is outright impossible to understand without VN knowledge and other stuff is very easy to misinterpret.

Ketuekigami said:

Except that most of characterization and what is shown directly contradicts the canon.
No wonder Nasu started calling ths an AU.

Also the "extensions"(that barring illya/rin fight and taiga visiting the grave were pointless) should not overshadow the source material or lead to fucking up the source material.
Apr 18, 2015 1:00 PM

Nov 2012
chat77 said:
First of all your entire criticism made me look at you as a guy who completely misinterprets what FSN based on the the growing trend nowadays,"more blood,more mature"
1)Was he able to do anything in the first place,so where does your entire point of plot armor comes into play?
2)As to the reason why he takes his ideals to such an extreme level,you are going to find out in the next couple of eps if I am not wrong..

Shirou never once thinks that believing in his ideals will allow him to save everyone as far as I can remember. He actually thinks about his situation and what his ideals entail. The anime leaves it out because Miura's method of 'visual story telling'.The anime has not really portrayed him properly uptill now.He knows he can't achieve his ideals but he will try achieving it
1)It is how I imagine he seems himself with. If you can't do something, you should try to find a rational way to circumvent it or just give up. If you know something is obviously impossible (defeating a servant) and still want to try then you are counting on plot armor or maybe the divines in other terms. I really dislike characters like that, there's a difference between determination and stubbornness.
I don't see a trait of mature character as a character who is badass grimdark and kills everyone, but someone who has a solid view on reality and can face it how it is.
2)Fair enough for the rest

Aug 2014
emobuttercup said:
Insertanamehere said:

Yeah, but the each route should be able to stand on its own too and shouldn't have to heavily rely on the other routes to be a strong story.

Well then all the routes in fate/stay night as pretty poor. Really the VN escalates as it goes on as if it is one story. The routes just give a little breathing room at the start of each then the "story" picks up where it left off.

Dec 2007
nocorras said:
Ketuekigami said:

Fills in gaps about things that aren't all that important and then leaves things about Shirou out, which are very important.
I have yet to feel things about Shirou left out to the extent that people are justified in their complaints so that is completely subjective. And level of importance is subjective in other cases. Illya's entire summoning didn't exist, filling in that gap may not have been required but it is certainly welcome be me.

I won't say there's nothing wrong, and I wont say no criticism is justified. But some people gotta tone it down to a realistic level. It's not realistic to have Shirou having internal conversations for 20 min straight each ep lol.
KetuekigamiApr 18, 2015 1:04 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 18, 2015 1:02 PM
Apr 2015
emobuttercup said:
Kokko said:

I'm with you man I have never read the VN and UBW has been very disappointing so far

Illya just being killed like this wtf?
And where the fuck is Kirei?
Apr 18, 2015 1:03 PM

Jul 2007
Ketuekigami said:
nocorras said:

I have yet to feel things about Shirou left out to the extent that people are justified in their complaints so that is completely subjective. And level of importance is subjective in other cases. Illya's entire summoning didn't exist, filling in that gap may not have been required but it is certainly welcome be me.

It is not subjective that his worldview and ideology thoughts are shallowed and significantly trimmed down(nocorras proved it multiple times already so wont bother to)

It is not subjective that most of Shirou's characterization that shows him as competent or smart is missing or is altered to make him look dumb.

It is not subjective that most of Shirou/rin interactions are altered to make him more passive making it entirelly wrong relationship compared to VN where it is equal and very dynamic.

^that's not an opinion and it is not subjective and all these three keypoints can easily be proven with VN comparisons.

And since Shirou is the main POINT of the show and the main focus, getting that wrong automatically makes most of everything else fall apart. And shirou's characterization, while its biggest problem is not ufoubw's ONLY problem.
Oct 2007
And Berserker breaking out of the chains and coming back to life all looked like the power of friendship bullshit to me.

It was in line with what Heracles had achieved in his legends though, as Gil himself said after he had almost shit his pants. Hardly an out-of-place Shounen Jump moment, especially as it came to nothing.
Normal well-adjusted human being

Nov 2013
emobuttercup said:
But that's missing the point of F/SN.

UBW relies on Fate route and HF relies on both Fate and UBW routes, that's why they are locked in that order.
Nov 2014
Damn you gil, damn you lool xD. That fight wasn't that impressive cause it was pretty one sided as hell. But animation is topkek. RIP loli grill.
Apr 18, 2015 1:04 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
WormPriest said:
Tokoya said:
It still got the point across.....That's like faulting someone for taking a shortcut to get somewhere instead of a standard path.....They're still arriving at the same destination

No. I'm faulting someone for adding an unneedlessly edgy and cringey moment to get a point across when it would have gotten across regardless if it was there or not by just having her almost get her throat bitten off by a wolf. It's saving you 10-20 seconds for something else that way.

This isn't even that much of a big problem for me unlike the fact that Shirou gets constantly made out to look incompetently dumb in some scenes which then brings a circle-jerk about how Shirou is a retarded protagonist.
Explain to me what about that scene made him look dumb....He tried to save Ilya and Rin stopped him while he struggled to break free because he wanted to save her that badly
Apr 18, 2015 1:06 PM
Apr 2015
GARBrotato said:
emobuttercup said:
But that's missing the point of F/SN.

UBW relies on Fate route and HF relies on both Fate and UBW routes, that's why they are locked in that order.

Well then they should have animated Fate first as it stands I didn't care about Illya and her death felt very anticlimatic after all the build up
Apr 18, 2015 1:06 PM
Apr 2014
FanEu said:
emobuttercup said:

I'm with you man I have never read the VN and UBW has been very disappointing so far

Illya just being killed like this wtf?
And where the fuck is Kirei?

Caster killed him, don't you pay attention?
Pages (35) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Apr 4, 2015

1557 by Swatheesh123 »»
Apr 9, 8:52 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Jun 13, 2015

1574 by ToG25thBaam »»
Mar 29, 12:29 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - May 17, 2015

1448 by ToG25thBaam »»
Mar 29, 9:40 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - May 9, 2015

1316 by ToG25thBaam »»
Mar 29, 9:35 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Apr 4, 2015

1282 by Alice_Huxley »»
Feb 16, 7:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.