Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 10, 2015 12:18 AM

Oct 2012
Anyone do any gardening? I have a small collection of herbs. Not weed, haha, haven't grown that in years. But I mean rosemary, lavender, mint, lemon verbena, etc. I also have a small collection of orchids. I realize this is probably out of the blue, probably not the typical demographic for this. When you think of gardening, you think of old ladies with nothing better to do. I guess I have diverse hobbies though.

What have you grown?
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Apr 10, 2015 12:21 AM

Aug 2013
! I love it!

Aaah, my room's currently filled with little pots of cacti and succulents. I also have some flowers but I don't know the name of them, but they came from a mix seed pack(?). Really pretty to look at though, with all the colors.
Apr 10, 2015 12:21 AM

Jul 2014
I never had a garden I'd like one in the future though :o
Apr 10, 2015 12:22 AM
Nobody

Jul 2013
katsucats said:
Not weed, haha,

what a shitty garden

anyway I've grown some cucumbers but thats about it
Apr 10, 2015 12:24 AM

Oct 2012
No garden myself but I do enjoy planting and stuff. I'm currently growing some anemones. As a kid I grew some strawberries but the birds always ate it ;_;

Oh well, as long as they're happy.

Apr 10, 2015 12:24 AM

Jan 2009
we only have a mango tree and calamansi on our backyard
Apr 10, 2015 12:25 AM
Dec 2010
Used to help my mom out with gardening a whole lot, the backyard at home is pretty amazing in the summer. Tomatoes, lettuce, herbs, rhubarb, blueberries, potatoes, carrots... It's easier than expected to grow that kind of stuff. Oh and I also grew my own corn for a while, but just a single plant. When it comes to flowers, however, I'm clueless. I'd like to learn more about flowers, though.
Apr 10, 2015 12:26 AM

Mar 2008
I have not particularly grown anything myself but id probably like a flower and herbs garden.
Apr 10, 2015 12:28 AM

May 2012
cant do any gardening all year round due to changing of seasons, but i take care of my evergreen
my friend got it for me, i was really happy
save all the cute girls from ntr manga
Apr 10, 2015 12:29 AM

Apr 2014
I don't but my dad loves to grow fruit and vegetables. They always grow all disfigured for some reason, like grow in abnormal shapes, but they still taste fine I guess. Once my dad grew rocket, but when he picked them they just looked like weeds, and tasted like weeds. Why did my dad give it to us to eat. ;_;
Apr 10, 2015 12:30 AM

Jul 2014
Hmmm. My grandfather back in Asia used to do gardening and every now and then he'd use the vegetables to cook soup for all of us. I also remember growing mongo seeds and it was a nice pet project.

j0x said:
we only have a mango tree and calamansi on our backyard

^ reminds me of the malunggay trees as well >_>
Apr 10, 2015 12:34 AM

Oct 2012
I don't have a mango tree, but I have a guava, several pomegranates, bell apples, avocado, orange, dates. Most of these were planted by the previous owner, I'm more interested in herbs and shrubs.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Apr 10, 2015 12:44 AM

Dec 2012
I love orchids and own many of them. They're beautiful, long-living and need little care.
Apr 10, 2015 12:49 AM

Oct 2012
ViolettSky said:
I love orchids and own many of them. They're beautiful, long-living and need little care.
What kind of orchids do you have? I have a bunch of Catasetums including the black one I got from SVO. I have some Dendrobiums and bulbos. I tried growing neofinetias and vandas, but given California's dry atmosphere, I failed horribly.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Apr 10, 2015 12:49 AM

Apr 2012
Don't really have a backyard anymore. Parents kinda put cement over most of the backyard so we didn't have to maintain all the shrubbery and what not. We use to grow peppers and tomatoes out back. We still have a pear tree though

Apr 10, 2015 12:52 AM
Apr 2013
I have grown a few bean sprouts out of a bunch of green seeds for science class before if that counts. Other than that, i helped both my grandparents in tending their garden while they were still fit. Although mostly watering the plants.
Apr 10, 2015 12:53 AM

May 2012
worldeditor11 said:
I have grown a few bean sprouts out of a bunch of green seeds for science class before if that counts. Other than that, i helped both my grandparents in tending their garden while they were still fit. Although mostly watering the plants.

Damn you are ginko irl.
Apr 10, 2015 12:59 AM

Dec 2012
katsucats said:
ViolettSky said:
What kind of orchids do you have? I have a bunch of Catasetums including the black one I got from SVO. I have some Dendrobiums and bulbos. I tried growing neofinetias and vandas, but given California's dry atmosphere, I failed horribly.

I'm a Dendrobium addict, they're by far my favourites! Though I also own many Phalaenopsis hybrids because people tend to gift them to you when they hear you like orchids. Kinda scared to get the more difficult ones, so far they never survived. I once brought some rare ones home from Florida, I guess the Florida->Germany change didnt serve them well.
Apr 10, 2015 1:05 AM

Oct 2012
ViolettSky said:
katsucats said:
I'm a Dendrobium addict, they're by far my favourites! Though I also own many Phalaenopsis hybrids because people tend to gift them to you when they hear you like orchids. Kinda scared to get the more difficult ones, so far they never survived. I once brought some rare ones home from Florida, I guess the Florida->Germany change didnt serve them well.
I love Dendrobium as well, especially miniatures. They're interesting/diverse to look at, and relatively care free. Sure, there are different types, they say, but in my experience, consistent lighting and watering makes them happy, if not ideal. The only one I couldn't get to grow is Dendrobium victoria-reginae (sp?), which has striking blue flowers, but is apparently much more demanding on water (and probably water hardness and ph).
THE CHAT CLUB.
Apr 10, 2015 1:22 AM

Jul 2014
My grandpa and my dad have pretty big gardens. I had to water them with a bucket the other day. The field was about about 15 yards wide by 40 yards long.

Apr 10, 2015 4:59 PM

Jul 2014
My real thoughts:

It's a cute hobby, I guess. Cute enough to offset OP's conceit and bad temper. ^_^
Apr 10, 2015 5:08 PM

Dec 2014
Yea, here:

Today they say you're crazy, tomorrow they will say you're a genious.
Apr 10, 2015 5:09 PM

Dec 2014
I thought we were gonna talk about a different kind of garden.
Apr 10, 2015 5:21 PM

May 2014
If I were to start gardening, the type of plants I'd have are castor beans, hemlock, indian licorice, etc. and attempt to combine them a la the 40 fruit tree
Kenjataimu mode status: 恒久
Apr 10, 2015 5:22 PM

Sep 2009
cause said:
I used to grow tomatoes as a kid in my backyard. It's actually astounding to watch plants grow from a small seed. Almost magical when you're that small and new to the world.
I've been told that watching a kid grow up is even more magical. </Disney Moment>

No, I don't have much of a hand for gardening. So I save the plants the misery of being subjected to my frequent forgetfulness. :)
Apr 10, 2015 5:40 PM
Oct 2008
I have a small culinary herb garden (parsley, chives, basil, sage, thyme, oregano, rosemary etc) and a lemon tree. I also try lettuce, tomatoes and strawberries fairly regularly. Unfortunately it is so hot here that every time I go away, the garden almost immediately dies so I have to replant it all 3-4 times a year. I did try to grow a decent vege garden at one point but it was disheartening putting all that effort in only to have it die before most of it reached maturity. At least you get a decent payoff with the herbs as they grow so quickly. Flowers don't really interest me except for sunflowers. Not sure if that is because they are such a cheerful looking flower or my practical side is kicking in and their seeds are edible. The backyard isn't big enough for a lot of fruit trees or I would have more of those.

OnlyTemporary said:
If I were to start gardening, the type of plants I'd have are castor beans, hemlock, indian licorice, etc. and attempt to combine them a la the 40 fruit tree

That is very cool.
Apr 10, 2015 5:43 PM

Oct 2012
Cottonrabbit said:
I have a small culinary herb garden (parsley, chives, basil, sage, thyme, oregano, rosemary etc) and a lemon tree. I also try lettuce, tomatoes and strawberries fairly regularly.
Awesome. I've tried tomatoes too and find that I don't have the effort to nurture annuals. My potato run turned out some little pebbles. Won't do it again unless I have more space, and maybe an automatic watering system.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Apr 10, 2015 5:47 PM

Nov 2008
I used to have pitcher plants and sundew as a child to get rid of wasps and hornets (although they got a few spiders as well as I seen one of the pitcher plants having a dead black widow in it).

Apr 10, 2015 5:56 PM

May 2014
Cottonrabbit said:
OnlyTemporary said:

That is very cool.
Yeah, I'm not sure how well the splicing would go though. I'd need to find plants where the stem and branch portion don't have toxins for a start.
Kenjataimu mode status: 恒久
Apr 10, 2015 6:01 PM

Oct 2012
I move around too much and don't have a lot of time for gardening... I like plants, and gardens, of course. My grandparents have a massive garden, and grow many flowers and fruits and vegetables and herbs. From tomatoes to bananas to alpine white strawberries. Sometimes I've bought seeds and plants as gifts for them and my mother, although she doesn't grow so much.
It always looks satisfying, but I don't think I'd ever get too into it.

I grew sunflowers as a kid, a tree at school, and some mushrooms as a (younger) teenager (in a box in my closet though, lol).

~ join the MAL suicide pact! ~ ~ ★☭★ ~ ~ embrace nuclear annihilation! ~
Apr 10, 2015 6:44 PM
Oct 2008
katsucats said:
Cottonrabbit said:
I have a small culinary herb garden (parsley, chives, basil, sage, thyme, oregano, rosemary etc) and a lemon tree. I also try lettuce, tomatoes and strawberries fairly regularly.
Awesome. I've tried tomatoes too and find that I don't have the effort to nurture annuals. My potato run turned out some little pebbles. Won't do it again unless I have more space, and maybe an automatic watering system.

My potatoes were a failure that died with the vege garden. However I was reading that apparently you should grow them in a sack. Start with the soil level pretty low and then add soil as the plant grows, raising the soil level. When it is ready, you just cut the sack open and pull out all the potatoes. This is on my "gonna do" list (although things can sit on my gonna do list for months or even years :D).

OnlyTemporary said:
Cottonrabbit said:

That is very cool.
Yeah, I'm not sure how well the splicing would go though. I'd need to find plants where the stem and branch portion don't have toxins for a start.

True. That rules out hemlock which is kind of disappointing. If you are going for the poisonous 40, it does seem like it should be on there. Mind you, I can't help picturing it as some kind of assassins dream tree which is cool but I have no idea what you would do with it IRL.
CottonrabbitApr 10, 2015 6:50 PM
Apr 10, 2015 6:46 PM
Jul 2014
... This reminded me. I got to get a PH Kit and test the soil in my entire area. I had a Japanese Maple Tree growing ... or at least trying to grow, and an Elderberry Tree ... Not near each other for the record. Both trees died, but in other areas, flowers, fruits and vegetables survived ...

Either way I think the acid level is either out of whack, or there was a disease somewhere ... either in the trees, or the ground.

If things go well though, I'm planning on growing Roma Tomatoes, and maybe some kind of Melon to start. And some Roses. Lavender would be a nice addition to. If the Soil grows well ... If ... maybe plant a new tree or two?
Apr 10, 2015 7:00 PM

Jan 2013
Of course.

Peaches, limes, chili peppers, aloe vera, papaya, melons, and watermelons.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Apr 10, 2015 7:09 PM

Oct 2012
Cottonrabbit said:
However I was reading that apparently you should grow them in a sack. Start with the soil level pretty low and then add soil as the plant grows, raising the soil level. When it is ready, you just cut the sack open and pull out all the potatoes. This is on my "gonna do" list (although things can sit on my gonna do list for months or even years :D).
I tried that, but I guess my 5 gallon buckets weren't big enough. That, and they require a ton of nutrients to get to commercial size.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Apr 10, 2015 7:28 PM

Apr 2008
I help my mom plant a garden every year we grow things like tomatoes, corn, green beans, cucumbers, summer and winter squash, zucchini, watermelons, broccoli, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, tried carrots a couple of times they never came up, potatoes, chives, peppers, jalapenos, lettuce etc. We don't plant everything each year but these are just some of things we have grown throughout the years.

edit: Some things we grow from seeds others we buy from the market partially grown
SevenApr 10, 2015 7:34 PM
Apr 10, 2015 7:35 PM
Apr 2014
Yeah.
Lots of asian (yes, asian) vegetables, tomatoes, cucumbers, beans, strawberries, and blueberries. We grew whatever we could.

Natural and tasted great. :)
Apr 10, 2015 9:41 PM
Mar 2013
I want to learn but I don't know where to start.
[b]Join #myanimelist on RizonIRC![b]
(^∇^)

Apr 10, 2015 10:00 PM

Oct 2012
Dunois said:
I want to learn but I don't know where to start.
Just buy something from Home Depot and learn by experience. Usually, the mints and oreganos are pretty fool proof, but keep them in the container because they might be too foolproof and spread all over.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Apr 10, 2015 10:13 PM

Dec 2009
Anything I try to grow dies. With the exception of an apple tree, but someone else looked after it so it doesn't really count.

I mostly tried out flowers or herbs but it didn't really matter what I did for them. Even the plants they say require minimal care never work out.

More topics from this board

» Why should we have sympathy for drug addicts? ( 1 2 )

HarryRambod22 - Feb 10, 2022

67 by 88expert »»
10 minutes ago

» Is English your native language? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

67 by vasipi4946 »»
22 minutes ago

» I got spooked by a water bottle

tsukareru - Yesterday

21 by tsukareru »»
52 minutes ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - Apr 19

22 by JaniSIr »»
1 hour ago

» Fill this thread with the most questionable statement or two you can think of!

IAmOdie - Apr 20

34 by Zarutaku »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.