Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 9, 2015 3:45 PM

Jun 2014
sammario said:
lnfo said:
are there even legal streaming sites these days other than crunchyroll?

Netflix and Funimation.

I have netflix and crunchy roll, but I still watch anime on kiss anime because its a lot better. I dont know what that says about legal streaming
Apr 9, 2015 4:00 PM

Apr 2015
For the majority of my anime watched it has been illegal but I have recently subscribed to Crunchyroll. I want to support the industry in which ever way I can but I can't afford to buy the DVDs and so on.

Plus it's HD and saves a little bit of time downloading or trying to find a good quality video online.
Apr 9, 2015 4:22 PM

Mar 2015
Jessicakes said:
sammario said:

Netflix and Funimation.

I have netflix and crunchy roll, but I still watch anime on kiss anime because its a lot better. I dont know what that says about legal streaming

Exactly. Illegal sites seem to do it ten times better even without official support. That says something about the official areas and how outdated and behind the times they are.
Apr 9, 2015 4:26 PM

Dec 2013
mirai-magica said:
j0x said:
download master race
Apr 9, 2015 4:37 PM

Mar 2015
retrogamer32x said:

This is provably false if you are talking about video quality. Yes, you can get everything in one place on the pirate streaming sites, that is never going to happen with legal sites - be it for Hollywood or anime - but the trade off in knowing you aren't using a vulnerability ridden plugin with sketchy sites while supporting the industry and getting higher quality video is worth it to many people.

Being able to find anything you want in 720p is a must for a lot of people. I can open my Taiga client right now and find a download torrent or open Kissanime right now and stream a show that was made for high quality, in high quality. Whether it be 720p or 1080p.

You underestimate how far illegal sites have gone in comparison to legal ones. Not to mention some times the illegal sites have the shows subbed and uploaded before the legal ones. How exactly does that work?

No one is asking for a place to house all anime. That would be the dream, but a far off dream at that. But maybe a more condensed way to find these products without having to go through many barriers of difficulty. I can easily find nearly any movie I want without pirating. Or find any song I want to listen to without pirating. Why can't the same be said about anime?
Apr 9, 2015 4:51 PM

Mar 2015
retrogamer32x said:
cause said:
I can easily find nearly any movie I want without pirating. Why can't the same be said about anime?

You have to be watching mainstream Hollywood movies for the most part, because this is just not true. The movie selection on Netflix and Hulu is just dreadful, try searching for a lot of classic horror and sci-fi movies and see how many you find on there (there aren't many).

Classic shows such as? Scream? Friday the 13th? Star Trek? Twilight Zone? It still remains that I can find these without browsing through 20 different sites to eventually maybe find a streaming/download service, or a store nearby that sells them. Sure I could also just load up a torrent, but using a legal method is just as useful.

And try not to tell me that obscure movies that never had an official release/TV air time are like a non obscure movie. Not exactly considering this plays more of the fact the publishers could not spread the product, versus more so on the fact of not spreading the product. Of course finding those types of shows is always going to be difficult even with an illegal service. That's because those are rarities, and are tied to a completely separate issue. We're talking about things that have official releases, and airtime, as most current animation shows do in Japan.

If I go and try to search Bakemonogatori right now. I can find Crunchroll. They stream it free. Cool! But it's in 480p. If I go to kissanime, they have it in 720p and in 1080p. What is the excuse here? Kinda defeats the whole "better quality" scenario yeah?
Apr 9, 2015 5:23 PM

Dec 2012
Legal always, if it's licensed, illegal streams for the rest that isn't. Most of the shows I want to watch get licensed though, so I usually don't have to resort to flying the pirate flag.
KruszerApr 9, 2015 5:27 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Apr 9, 2015 5:39 PM

Mar 2015
Legal, however if some anime aren't licensed I would have to use illegal for those.
Apr 9, 2015 9:03 PM

Mar 2015
retrogamer32x said:

You get the better quality if you pay, CR actually have to license the content on top of paying for bandwith, unlike pirate sites that get it for free.

I can click on anything free on the front page and get 720 or 1080

Clearly it's not a "paying for bandwidth". It's the irrelevance of uploading a higher quality of a show that they support that I may want to look for. And now where do I turn? Just another bump in the road.

And there are too many bumps. There is a point where you need to put some blame on the people providing the content, and not all the blame on the people looking for the content. I am not condoning pirating. In fact I try to find legitimate sources myself first before turning to torrents or streaming illegally. But I can see why the normal person turns to the kissanime sites in the millions like you said. I'm okay with ads. I'm okay with paid services. I even remove adblock on sites that I want to support. But there is only so much "trying to support" you can give as a consumer before it becomes more like "working to support". I hope you can understand that sentiment. Like the articles you linked suggest. Sure you could probably find most things legally. But it becomes time consuming to do so.
deadaccount33Apr 9, 2015 9:55 PM
Apr 10, 2015 12:11 AM

Jun 2007
retrogamer32x said:
When you say "torrent in better quality", you really mean better compared to the pirate sites or the free versions of many of the premium ones. Unless you are torrenting Blu-ray .iso rips, you're not getting better quality with torrents the majority of the time.
I would say that you don't need huge BDMV downloads to beat streaming quality; streams of the legal and bootleg variety are encoded at lower bitrates to save bandwidth and reduce lag for users, whereas downloaded encodes are only limited by the source quality and how much filesize bloat (and encoding time / distro bandwidth) encoders are willing to tolerate. Even TV encodes from HD transport streams will be better than web-optimized streaming video most of the time, though I would give legal streams the edge over bootleg streams, since bootleg streams introduce an extra lossy encode (denoted below by ->) into the process:

Legal stream = [some source] -> stream
Bootleg stream = TV transport stream -> some subber encode -> stream (or [some source] -> HorribleSubs -> stream)

sammario said:
What annoys me when I see a popular airing anime get hundreds of thousands upon thousands (sometimes even millions!) of views on a shady illegal streaming site, when they easily get a much better experience on a website that actually supports the creators.
It could be argued that bootleg streams provide a better viewing experience as far as subbing is concerned, since if bootleg streams use "fansub" releases and don't simply grab HorribleSubs 'cause it's first, they could have translated songs, better typesetting, better timing, etc. But torrents used to get hundreds of thousands or millions of downloads as well, and I'd rather see people downloading in those kinds of numbers instead of giving money to pirates.

cause said:
No one is asking for a place to house all anime. That would be the dream, but a far off dream at that.
I don't know, I'd say some come close to asking for that.

cause said:
But maybe a more condensed way to find these products without having to go through many barriers of difficulty. I can easily find nearly any movie I want without pirating. Or find any song I want to listen to without pirating. Why can't the same be said about anime?
It still remains that I can find these without browsing through 20 different sites to eventually maybe find a streaming/download service, or a store nearby that sells them.
Having 20-30 sources is a huge repellent to people. Remember. Time is money.
There's some truth to that, but it kind of rings hollow to me when every "were do u guys watch ur animus?" thread has answers naming half a dozen to a dozen bootleg streaming sites, and an equivalent number of torrent/DDL sites. People are apparently okay with browsing tons of different bootleg streaming and other pirate sites (not to mention all the torrent clients, IRC clients, download managers, and specialized playback software they install to obtain and view downloaded anime), but suddenly they turn around and say "What, I have to check CrunchyRoll, Hulu, AND Funimation? Too much work, it's a pirate's life for me!"

Indeed, time is money, and many have found that a small investment of time spent learning and using pirate software pays a huge return in terms of money that doesn't need to be spent on discs/subscriptions, with minimal risk.

cause said:

It's hardly a niche medium. Anime conventions are huge and it only gets bigger every year as a medium across the world. Sure it's not as big as hollywood, but it really not an excuse to be behind the curve.
Anime conventions may be huge, but they're becoming less about anime and more about cosplay, raves, booze-fueled parties, and general nerd/pop-culture. And more non-paying viewers being into a medium doesn't help the financial success of that medium.

Some of the slowness and conservatism of the industry can be chalked up to Japanese business practices, and how overseas publishers have to pull teeth to get the Japanese side (who've watched their business implode because of "the Internet," so they're understandably not exactly raring to embrace it) to approve new approaches and methods. Which again, is a difference that should be considered before blaming the niche anime industry for not being like mainstream US entertainment.
Apr 10, 2015 12:20 AM

Apr 2014
Illegal torrenting for dayzzzz son.
Apr 10, 2015 2:45 AM

Jul 2007
I try to find a legal stream, if I can't then illegal stream.
I'll then buy DVDs for the series I enjoyed.
Apr 10, 2015 2:47 AM

Jan 2015
Kasi said:
where do u buy them? online or in a shop?
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Apr 10, 2015 2:48 AM

Jul 2014
The absolute ideal content consumption route is legal downloads.

Which don't exist yet.
Apr 10, 2015 2:52 AM

Jul 2007
Remv_quevav said:
Kasi said:
where do u buy them? online or in a shop?

Online these days.
Apr 10, 2015 3:09 AM

Jul 2014
retrogamer32x said:
Red_Tuesday said:
The absolute ideal content consumption route is legal downloads.

Which don't exist yet.

This depends on if you're an archiver/collector, though. Optical media will always beat an SSD/HDD in terms of durability (one bad electron can cost you everything) and the ability to prevent flipped bits, not to mention outright disk failure. I think physical discs will continue to be a niche market, even if they aren't for everyone.

Doesn't matter, HDDs have become so low cost that keeping a RAID array running forever is cheap and easy, and with the new uber cheap 8TB drives from Seagate, and the cloud services, additional unplugged deep storage and offsite backup are also cheap.
Apr 10, 2015 5:21 AM
Jul 2018
For me, ILLEGAL.
I would LOVE to pay 6-7$/month for legal anime, but paying and not getting able to watch many titles that isnt included in Legal Streaming is like throwing away 7$ to them without me, myself getting anything back. why? i would love to donate to torrents, or bakaBT kind of sites rather than a legal site.

ahem, did you guys knew that Crunchyroll was illegal too? they got many viewers, however they got tons of problem with copyright issue later on, now they license all of them. to be honest, the money you give to crunchyroll is not doing any difference that much. maybe 1$ is being sent to Japan Animation Studios, 1$ being shared among 50 licensors, thats like 0.02$, Crunchyroll keeps rest for themselves, their staff, their hell-alot-unnecesary crunchyroll compatible devices (who the hell uses them nowadays?).

crunchyroll lacks alot of things, and maybe in 10 years or so they r worth to be paid.

their team is not stable, alot of staff comes in and quits.

Illegal is nice in many ways.

aaand guys, if you are legal-fan, go and spend from amazon.co.jp 100$ for a figure if you truly want to support it, else dont think you really support anime industry that much.

truth can be hard sometimes, im sorry.
Apr 10, 2015 11:41 AM

Jan 2015
I use Viz Media because they don't charge you to watch anime. Now Funimation charges for 'subscription only' episodes and that pisses me off. I am not going to pay money to watch an anime I can find online for free.

So to answer the question, sometimes illegal and sometimes legal. Mostly illegal though.I'm not ashamed to admit it too. Shit, I already pay an asscheek amount for internet. Might as well get my anime for free. I only stream though, never download.
Apr 10, 2015 11:44 AM

Nov 2014
legal if it is available otherwise illegal
Apr 10, 2015 12:05 PM

Nov 2012
like 99% legal. Certain Shows like Legend of the Galactic Heroes I literally have no other Options.

Except maybe buy the VHS of them and learn Japanese. Hold on I need to think this over....
Apr 10, 2015 2:50 PM
Jul 2018
Tomoki_Sakurai said:
like 99% legal. Certain Shows like Legend of the Galactic Heroes I literally have no other Options.

Except maybe buy the VHS of them and learn Japanese. Hold on I need to think this over....

Aren't they remaking LotGH though??

OT: Jesus, this poll man.. making me feel rlly depressed :(
Apr 10, 2015 2:54 PM

Jun 2014
deanzel said:
I like my anime just like I like my women...

You will use any means to get them, right?
All credit goes to Sacred.
Apr 10, 2015 3:02 PM
Jul 2018
FireEmblemIke24 said:
deanzel said:
I like my anime just like I like my women...

You will use any means to get them, right?

I think he meant he likes them [i]legal[i], right?
Apr 10, 2015 3:50 PM

Jul 2014
OP pls search next time. Illegal for me.
Apr 10, 2015 5:06 PM

Nov 2012
sammario said:
Tomoki_Sakurai said:

Aren't they remaking LotGH though??

OT: Jesus, this poll man.. making me feel rlly depressed :(

I heard they were but I've been wanting to see the original so now is the time. If for some godly reason this gets released in Region 1 I'll just buy it. As for now I've waited long enough to see it.
Apr 10, 2015 6:42 PM

Jan 2015
Illegal streaming on Anime Haven and Kissanime

Credits to MAND4Drawings
Apr 11, 2015 12:47 AM

Jun 2014
illegal because i'm a poor student who haven't stood up in front of her computer ever since she graduated from highschool
mongrel
Apr 11, 2015 5:33 AM

Mar 2015
If it's on Hulu or crunchyroll I'll watch it. If not I torrent.
Apr 11, 2015 5:58 AM

Aug 2014
Legal streaming does have half decent quality but I prefer torrents.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Apr 11, 2015 8:42 AM
Mar 2012
If I could get every anime on one service, I would use that - I am not going to subscribe to multiple services because of fucking licencing issues and crap like that. Every now and then I subscribe to Crunchyroll, only to unsubscribe when they inevitable don't have half of the series I want to watch.

Mostly I don't even mind watching low quality for the first airing either~ Most streaming sites offer 720 either way.
Apr 11, 2015 9:18 AM

Aug 2014
retrogamer32x said:
Excarius said:
For me, ILLEGAL.
I would LOVE to pay 6-7$/month for legal anime, but paying and not getting able to watch many titles that isnt included in Legal Streaming is like throwing away 7$ to them without me, myself getting anything back. why? i would love to donate to torrents, or bakaBT kind of sites rather than a legal site.

ahem, did you guys knew that Crunchyroll was illegal too? they got many viewers, however they got tons of problem with copyright issue later on, now they license all of them. to be honest, the money you give to crunchyroll is not doing any difference that much. maybe 1$ is being sent to Japan Animation Studios, 1$ being shared among 50 licensors, thats like 0.02$, Crunchyroll keeps rest for themselves, their staff, their hell-alot-unnecesary crunchyroll compatible devices (who the hell uses them nowadays?).

crunchyroll lacks alot of things, and maybe in 10 years or so they r worth to be paid.

aaand guys, if you are legal-fan, go and spend from amazon.co.jp 100$ for a figure if you truly want to support it, else dont think you really support anime industry that much.

1. You are getting back high quality streams, that is just silly, and you're saying you would rather people who create nothing and are leeches on other peoples work get money than the content creators only getting a small amount of money.
2. I don't use CR (edit - premium, that is) myself, there are other services that I think are a better value for money, or lack thereof in the case of free (Hulu, Netflix, Viki and Daisuki as well as Youtube).
3. I do buy a lot of BDs and DVDs (imports and domestic), who are you talking to here? The pirates who said they don't buy them? Also, anyone using amazon.co.jp over CD Japan is crazy, but that's neither here nor there.

Why is CD japan better?

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Apr 11, 2015 9:42 AM

Dec 2011
It depends what you're buying/how often you buy stuff as to whether CD Japan or Amazon.co.jp is better when it comes to anime.

Amazon is better for high price or infrequent purchases; CD Japan is better for lower priced items, with regular purchases working in its favour as well.

Yesasia sucks for everything and if you're buying from there you need to switch to something else.
kuuderes_shadowApr 11, 2015 9:46 AM
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Apr 11, 2015 1:54 PM

Jun 2014
sammario said:
So, after a little bit of a heated discussion with a friend, I'd like to ask the population of MAL a question

Legal or Illegal streaming sites, and why?

That's not even a question. #KissAnime4Life
Apr 18, 2015 1:51 PM

Aug 2007
What was the debate about? I rarely ever stream but if I do I'll probably go to an illegal site since I'm usually just there to watch a quick scene or two. There's really no reason at all to use an illegal stream site if you can watch it on Crunchyroll unless you know the groups doing it are actual fansubbers. Either way you'll get a subpar translation since the rippers don't translate.
Apr 18, 2015 2:40 PM
Jul 2018
Illegal m8. fuck da police.
Apr 18, 2015 3:24 PM
May 2013
I use legal if they have the anime I want to watch completed. So I never watch legal streaming with ongoing series (mostly because I don't have the money to pay every month and chruncy mostly don't have so much anime I want to watch that is aviable in my country).
Pandora hearts broke my heart
Apr 18, 2015 3:29 PM

Nov 2013
If its not blocked in my country I'd choose legal.
Apr 18, 2015 4:51 PM

Apr 2015
I download....
#CHEXIT
Apr 22, 2015 3:38 PM

Jan 2013
I pay for premium on crunchy to have my conscience clear, then download hq files to watch when i want.
harem and ecchi are a cancer to whole planet
bad english user
Apr 22, 2015 3:40 PM
Jul 2018
Sidholun said:
I pay for premium on crunchy to have my conscience clear, then download hq files to watch when i want.

Seems legit. Used to do the same, but my old laptop broke.
Apr 22, 2015 6:06 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
If they have the series... and I don't want to download it... so not much.
BatoKusanagiApr 22, 2015 6:17 PM
Apr 22, 2015 6:27 PM

Feb 2010
I don't watch as much as I used to.. so I just stream.

My bro downloads though, and sometimes I just watch from his Tera drive. Theyre all HD which is pretty nice. ^^
Apr 23, 2015 11:46 PM

Aug 2007
Sidholun said:

I pirate and my conscience is completely clear.
Apr 24, 2015 5:30 AM
May 2009
Download. = Portability, No problems when there is no internet, no need to suffer from ads and pop ups that manage to slip through adblock. No need to worry about browser eating up Memory and disk.
Apr 24, 2015 5:37 AM

Nov 2014
Illegal download for me.
Nov 1, 2015 9:40 PM
Sep 2015
Only if the show I want is available on a legal site in my country, otherwise I cannot watch it at all.
Nov 1, 2015 9:41 PM
Dec 2011
Legal. I'm not a poor fag.
Nov 1, 2015 9:51 PM
Aug 2012
Leondre said:
Download because I'm not a peasant.
Exactly
Nov 1, 2015 10:08 PM

Jan 2015
Eh, it depends how accessible the anime is to me. If it's something I can buy a copy of fairly easily then I'll just by the DVD/blu ray/whatever. However, for older series like Lodoss War and the like which have gone out of print, then I'll illegally stream. I know more older anime are starting to get picked up, sadly just not fast enough for me in terms of wanting to watch them.
Nov 1, 2015 10:51 PM

Mar 2012
Legal is of much better quality 99 times out of 100. Plus it helps the industry. People will try to tell you otherwise but I think the fact that more and more companies are starting to warm up to the idea of Crunchyroll, Funimation, Animelab or whoever streaming their shows to the point where basically everything gets subtitled and dubbed on a timely basis speaks volumes about how it helps the industry.

Of course a good portion of your money is going to Crunchyroll and Funimation but why do people make it out as if it's it a bad thing to expect compensation for hard work? Do you think they're just going to give all their earnings to Japan? That's a horrible way to run a company.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

64 by alshu »»
2 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Apr 23

61 by alshu »»
4 minutes ago

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - 10 hours ago

17 by alshu »»
9 minutes ago

» something you dislike about your favorite character

Kenzolo-folk - Apr 22

26 by LeonhartAugust »»
13 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 52 minutes ago

7 by FanofAction »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.