Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 7, 2015 12:58 PM

Mar 2013
So far the most interesting anime of this season (but i highly look forward to Ninja Slayer) The artstyle looks nice and I enjoy music anime with orchestras like this and most important: the characters seem ok, nothing too special but not completly annoying. From the cover i expected it too be a bit more jazzy.

To the episode itself: Nice setup. The ending was a bit weird. I liked the idea of the MC not being really interested into joining the band, but it felt kinda rushed that she suddenly said "yes" to joining the band. I thought they maybe focus this at the start a bit more. Well anyways, like i said before, interesting start, definitly gonna watch more.
Apr 7, 2015 1:10 PM

Feb 2012
Ahegyao said:

Why should you even care about chromosome demographics being a judge of quality? Are you perhaps insecure? Oh man, the ridiculousness self-styled "elitists" would reach to come off as superior...

I wouldn't mind if they were the girls from Black Lagoon or something. But in anime-land, "all-female" tends to equal "little girls" and I very rarely find them to be interesting to watch.
I Write About Anime (and other stuff) At Standing On My Neck
Apr 7, 2015 1:14 PM

Mar 2013
I didn't like the MC Kumiko, she sounds way too annoying and arrogant for my tastes... I hope she changes her attitude soon enough. Sapphire is so cute though. I liked the environment, so I might keep watching.
Apr 7, 2015 1:14 PM

Jun 2011
Flawfinder said:
Ahegyao said:

Why should you even care about chromosome demographics being a judge of quality? Are you perhaps insecure? Oh man, the ridiculousness self-styled "elitists" would reach to come off as superior...

I wouldn't mind if they were the girls from Black Lagoon or something. But in anime-land, "all-female" tends to equal "little girls" and I very rarely find them to be interesting to watch.

So you prefer them psychotic and "badass?" Well, aren't we in double standard country now.
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
Apr 7, 2015 1:16 PM

Feb 2012
Ahegyao said:
Flawfinder said:

So you prefer them psychotic and "badass?" Well, aren't we in double standard country now.

Maybe, but we all have our preferences.
I Write About Anime (and other stuff) At Standing On My Neck
Apr 7, 2015 1:18 PM

Jul 2014
Ehh, don't really know how to feel about it. MC kinda feels like Nonoka from Sora no Method when she's all melodramatic and stuff. Also, Reina reminds me of Shione. Surprised there are guy characters in this.
Apr 7, 2015 1:18 PM

Jun 2014
Of the stuff I've started watching this season, and also in general, this has a strong opening.

Nice visuals. Side characters are pretty average.
I like the morose, laid back type like the MC Kumiko.

billybob300c said:

3. Man, no1 here noticed the red string of fate that connected kumiko x reina at the very end of the ED song?? that was so hawt.

The interaction between those two is prob going to be the foundation of this show. It'd better be interesting.
Apr 7, 2015 1:20 PM

Jul 2014
Good start, the main character is a bit personality-less, rude and cynical. Boring by real-life standards but I guess in anime terms it can be counted as a refreshing change of pace.

Sapphire is funny.

I had the impression before the show that they would end up in a smaller jazz band quartet and not in the school band. I hope that's still what's going to happen because I am terribly bored by the big band format, and it'd probably make me drop the show. Needs to be more intimate.

But I can also already see the character development: "You suck!" "but it's about having fun" "oh my god you're right, let's just enjoy ourselves" the end.
Apr 7, 2015 1:22 PM

Jun 2011
Flawfinder said:
Ahegyao said:

Maybe, but we all have our preferences.

Yes, but be be prepared to get called out on your flawed bias, Mr. Flawfinder.
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
Apr 7, 2015 1:30 PM

Oct 2012
Well, it was okay as far as first episodes go. Standard KyoAni is what I'd describe this episode as, but at least it was informative. It's not exactly unwatchable (not yet anyway) and I was hoping it would be a bit more engaging compared to the past couple of KyoAni works. The cast is fine, though the MC doesn't do anything for me and I'm not really sure at this stage if it's going to be a drama/slice of life with musical elements or an anime focused on the band aspect. Personally, I'd be happier to see the latter.
Apr 7, 2015 1:32 PM
Pokémon Master

Apr 2014
I think I'm going to like this anime.
Apr 7, 2015 1:34 PM

Aug 2014
First off, dude that was complaining about breasts being a BS trope.......
Teenage girl, that is all.

Thank You based KyoAni for this wonderful art and fun atmosphere.

And Kumiko, please put your hair back into a ponytail, it's way cuter than that curly mess you got goin on.
Honoka is my Hero! Click Me!
Apr 7, 2015 1:36 PM

Nov 2014
cute girls and hot boys
I am totally pleased
Apr 7, 2015 1:42 PM

Feb 2014
A very good start. Lovely art and animation paired with an interesting main cast. Kumiko should keep the ponytail look. It suits her better to be honest. ^_^

This does feel like K-ON!, minus the tea & cakes.
Apr 7, 2015 1:43 PM

Oct 2007
StevenHu said:
I find it slightly amusing how so many people are immediately loving something this bland.

Anyways, I better see more tromboners trombonists soon.

You should have seen the reaction to Lucky Star when it aired then

Nov 2013
They did a very good job mixing in just enough moe/cuteness to make it charming without going too over-the-top. It feels more like Hyouka than K-on.
I'm seeing hints of romance and I like it, it's a nice change from the usual all-girls setup.

43211 said:
Kyoani only knows how to do innocent romance, so the romance is gonna stink. You know, the one you experience at around 12, when youre like, "huh, what is this feeling in my heart? why does my heart beat when im around this person?"

Yeah, that one.

Except its Key adaptions

Are you actually serious? The Key adaptations perfectly match your definition of "innocent romance".
*hug noises*

May 2013
well it's not K-On but it was quite entertaining either way
Apr 7, 2015 1:48 PM

Feb 2009
Quite good, I guess. That ED though, just scream K-ON!
Apr 7, 2015 1:50 PM

Mar 2014
K-On! - Concert Band Edition

But seriously, it wasn't that bad
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Apr 7, 2015 1:53 PM
Nov 2010
This makes me miss when I used to play in an orchestra even went on to do it in college but just didn't find it fun anymore so switched to a new major.

too much nostalgia >.<
Apr 7, 2015 1:55 PM
Jun 2010
Kyoani fans really have low standards, If an anime has cute girls in it it's good for them...
wow just wow.
Apr 7, 2015 1:59 PM

Apr 2014
*awkwardly looks at Sapphire* can't handle all the moe
Apr 7, 2015 1:59 PM

May 2009
Zoddd said:
Kyoani fans really have low standards, If an anime has cute girls in it it's good for them...
wow just wow.

Why do you even bother if you only like manry anime?
Apr 7, 2015 2:03 PM

Nov 2013
Zoddd said:
wow just wow.

Wow, just wow.
Apr 7, 2015 2:05 PM

Aug 2014
You gotta look at the bigger picture, it's not like this episode was exciting, but the characters are likable and you gotta look for the possible foreshadowing that was all over the place. It's being directed by Tatsuya Ishihara, (The Haruhi series, Clannad, Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!, K-On!, Nichijou) so people are gonna expect something good. He did a great job of setting up the conflict between the two girls and leaving us in suspense at the end. It's also being composed by Jukki Hanada (Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!, some Fate/stay night, Love Live, K-On!, Steins Gate). And it shows, everything is subtle but nicely set up with a fun atmosphere but at the same time delivering a bit of a deeper thought. It's not gonna be everybody's thing. But it's no surprised people are excited for what may come.
Honoka is my Hero! Click Me!
Apr 7, 2015 2:10 PM

May 2012
Enjoyed it.

Liking Kumiko already, but that's because I'm sorta like her when it comes to bluntness

Liked the ending more than the opening.

Anyway, I'm definitely sticking with this.

Apr 7, 2015 2:10 PM

Nov 2013
BlurredVision18 said:
You gotta look at the bigger picture, it's not like this episode was exciting, but the characters are likable and you gotta look for the possible foreshadowing that was all over the place. It's being directed by Tatsuya Ishihara, (The Haruhi series, Clannad, Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!, K-On!, Nichijou) so people are gonna expect something good. He did a great job of setting up the conflict between the two girls and leaving us in suspense at the end. It's also being composed by Jukki Hanada (Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!, some Fate/stay night, Love Live, K-On!, Steins Gate). And it shows, everything is subtle but nicely set up with a fun atmosphere but at the same time delivering a bit of a deeper thought. It's not gonna be everybody's thing. But it's no surprised people are excited for what may come.

Looking at the bigger picture requires thinking, why should someone think when he can just make baseless generalizations like "Kyoani fans only care about cute girls", so that he can feel better about his taste?
Apr 7, 2015 2:17 PM

Jul 2012
Not bad! Went in not really expecting much... I actually liked Kumiko. The visuals are no joke, as usual~ We'll see how it goes on the next few weeks! Brings back some nostalgia because I used to be in band too~ But in elementary school lolol. Also, Shuichi looks a little bit like Makoto, haha.

I'm happy to hear that Hayami Saori is in here, even if she's just a supporting role. And of course, it's nice to hear Sakurai, as always, haha.
Apr 7, 2015 2:20 PM

Dec 2012
The new music anime started ! Beautiful beginning, the art and the girls are pretty.
Apr 7, 2015 2:24 PM

May 2010
Flawfinder said:
Ahegyao said:

the black lagoon girls part is maybe not the best example and it was obvious people would put it against your argument but i wont watch this show for the same reason. Its always cute little girls..bores me out of mind most of the time.
Apr 7, 2015 2:34 PM

Aug 2008
yukishiromei said:
I didn't like the MC Kumiko, she sounds way too annoying and arrogant for my tastes... I hope she changes her attitude soon enough. Sapphire is so cute though. I liked the environment, so I might keep watching.
It's funny cos Kumiko sounds like the most real and natural high school teen there is. None of that genki IKIMASU shit we usually hear.

She seems pretty normal, chill, and down-to-earth with potential to develop.
Apr 7, 2015 2:35 PM

Nov 2011
A really relaxing anime, I will really enjoy this one.
Got a Rin shibuya vibe from Kumiko.
Hate Keeps me warm
Apr 7, 2015 2:47 PM

Mar 2009
As a trumpet player all through middle school and high school, this show is hitting all the right notes for me. And obviously, trumpet girl is best girl(even though we've seen so little of her).

Can't help but make comparisons to K-On, but unlike K-On, this show is taking greater care and dedication to the music and the band. It's more serious. And I'm happy about that, even if I liked K-On, too. For example the sound of the band when they arrive at the school is perfect, as they sound not terrible, but certainly not good. Kind of what you'd expect to hear, honestly. Also loved the scene with using the mouthpiece.

So, yeah, as a band geek(once upon a time), this is right up my alley. It's nostalgic.

When it comes to everything else, it looks good(obviously, it's KyoAni), guys exist which is shocking, and there's a lot of introspection on the main character's part. For a first episode, the pacing was fine. Relaxed, unlike most KyoAni shows. So far, so good.
Apr 7, 2015 2:54 PM

Dec 2012
Ah, I need to watch this asap! :D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 7, 2015 2:57 PM

Apr 2013
It was OK. Just OK.
Apr 7, 2015 2:58 PM

May 2011
Character models don't look that interesting, and the seiyuu aside from Toyota Moe are meh. I'll give it another episode, but I think I'm gonna drop.

(Such a shame. I like symphonic band too).
Apr 7, 2015 3:06 PM
Oct 2013
kingsheep812 said:
wow. This new music anime, don't think it'll live up to the status of Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso~

But its a pretty fun start, great art xD

Hmmm hope that they actually get into the musical part of it.

Euphonium eh? I played it for 3 years in my middle school band xD

Pretty decent start, lots of girls though.

That's what I was thinking when I was watching it too. Lol its unfair to compare the two so I will give it a chance....it seems interesting so far. So far I'm not a big fan of the main female character but like the supporting characters
Apr 7, 2015 3:10 PM

May 2012
I legit like Kumiko. She looks more down to earth and chill than what you usually get. Good performance from her VA as well.

Has potential. Hope it doesn't get as boring as K-ON.
Apr 7, 2015 3:29 PM

Aug 2014
Dorudo-kun said:
I legit like Kumiko. She looks more down to earth and chill than what you usually get. Good performance from her VA as well.

Has potential. Hope it doesn't get as boring as K-ON.

What. The.fuck.
Apr 7, 2015 3:33 PM

Apr 2013
Potential best KyoAni show since Hyouka, in for a treat
Music was wonderful, there is depth to the story, the characters were quite likeable so far
Apr 7, 2015 3:36 PM

Dec 2014
As a euphonium player, I laughed when she said that the euphonium is like a tuba, but smaller. Just can't explain it any other way. I have never been more giddy like a school girl ever but so far this anime has been everything I wanted.
Apr 7, 2015 3:40 PM

Dec 2014
Probably the best first episode of this season not only the visual but also the script. Kyoani. sure knows how to get a show starts but can they maintain the momentum?

I love when they use 3D models as backgrounds they try to integral with the surrounding so that they are not too intrusive for you to notice at the first instant. The opening scene where the people walking and later in school when some students walking in the background they blur out them using depth of field. Something I have to give Kyoani. credit for when it comes to details and care for their products, and not many studios are willing to do this kind of thing, not even P.A. Works.

I hope this show delivers what it promised, not turning into another K-ON! or female version of Free!.
raveninthemuddleApr 7, 2015 4:08 PM
Apr 7, 2015 3:42 PM

Jul 2013
The idea of a orchestral band in an anime is intriguing enough for me to stick with this. It brings back fond memories of high school, where I had a lot of friends in the marching band.
Apr 7, 2015 4:08 PM

May 2012
lol, i love it, takes me back to my band days xD love the weirdness asuka portrayed :P band kids are weird xD
Apr 7, 2015 4:09 PM

Jul 2014
Majuicezumi said:
*awkwardly looks at Sapphire* can't handle all the moe
Sapphire's seiyuu's first name is Moe!!!
Apr 7, 2015 4:10 PM

May 2014
The art...gorgeous! The animation is also really good!
I like how Kumiko blurts things out without realizing it. Wonder how that's going to affect and the people around her in the future. I really like her in a ponytail :P
Her reaction to the other girl that she knew that walked in the band room was hilarious. One of my favorite reactions that I've seen so far.

Looking forward to all the music that they'll be playing in the future. Unless it turns into Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso and hits us with major feels xD
Apr 7, 2015 4:13 PM

Aug 2013
In true Kyoto Animation fashion, even though the whole school is mixed-gender, our first scene with male dialogue comes 15 minutes in... And 19:15, Kyoani, what the heck? No respectable trumpet player plays while blowing cheeks like that, and apparently the black-haired girl is very good. Highly inaccurate animation.

This first episode irritated my OCD to the max... but looks like Hibike! Euphonium is an anime about turning nothing into something great (the current band), and I'm always into those kinds of plots.
Apr 7, 2015 4:16 PM

Jan 2013
rsc-pl said:
kingsheep812 said:
wow. This new music anime, don't think it'll live up to the status of Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso~

Lol, which status? Shigatsu was just an (very) average show (in any aspect, especially music part.
And I don't know why you are comparing comedy and drama shows.
If you want compare this show with something, it should be K-On

I've already had this argument, but regardless of what you think of Shigatsu, your comment about the music aspect is completely incorrect. It had a wealth of beautiful classical pieces. It would be idiotic to call pieces by Chopin or Debussy 'average'. You clearly have absolutely no idea about music at all.

Anyway. Seems like a nice relaxing anime. Not really looking for much more. I don't mind comfy anime.
AlcaknightApr 7, 2015 4:21 PM
Apr 7, 2015 4:22 PM

Oct 2011
I watched this because of the setting and surprisingly it's not bad. I thought this would be another k-on but the characters make much more sense, feel more human, especially the main character.

This might be the kyoani show I was waiting for.
Apr 7, 2015 4:47 PM

Apr 2011
kinda reminds me of K-ON, especially because the main girl is just like "Ui" (Yui's sister)
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 26, 2015

452 by Pandazzle »»
Apr 7, 8:44 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2015

286 by luisfunes99 »»
Apr 2, 9:04 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 5, 2015

242 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Mar 28, 3:47 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 14, 2015

192 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Mar 28, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2015

393 by CorayyAnime »»
Mar 25, 2:03 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.