Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 7, 2015 8:55 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well that was sort of interesting. They didn't waste time getting to the music time. OP song is colorful..

They introduced most of the main characters and I kinda like Asuka so far. Not sure about how I feel about Kousaka's introduction though. She just gives off a very cool like aura around her.

Not too shabby though. I can see a lot of ways they can take the story with this and the bands stuff since they already got started a bit on the music. The ED song is alright I suppose.
Stark700Apr 7, 2015 10:37 AM
Apr 7, 2015 9:01 AM

Dec 2013
Oh shit, this is interesting. KyoAni please don't fuck up.
Apr 7, 2015 10:23 AM

Aug 2013
Visuals are incredible (even more than I thought), as expected by KyoAni (but camera movement is a bit strange).
Everything else is OK, I'm looking forward for next week.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Apr 7, 2015 10:28 AM
Feb 2015
This is gonna be an interesting anime. The op is really nice but the Ed is okay. Well I guess I have this to watch on Tuesdays now. It's on crunchyroll if you guys are interested.
[center] *>.>[Spoiler][/spoiler]<.<*
[center]
Apr 7, 2015 10:38 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
The female MC is really annoying to me, i hope, she gets better soon.

An okay start...
Apr 7, 2015 10:38 AM

Dec 2013
wow. This new music anime, don't think it'll live up to the status of Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso~

But its a pretty fun start, great art xD

Hmmm hope that they actually get into the musical part of it.

Euphonium eh? I played it for 3 years in my middle school band xD

Pretty decent start, lots of girls though.
"No one knows what the future holds. That's why its potential is infinite.” - Okabe Rintarou

"El Psy Congroo."

Kirino Kyousake Picture
Apr 7, 2015 10:40 AM

Nov 2012
a pretty nice start to the series. i love the art, it looks gorgeous :>
Apr 7, 2015 10:46 AM

Aug 2013
kingsheep812 said:
wow. This new music anime, don't think it'll live up to the status of Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso~

Lol, which status? Shigatsu was just an (very) average show (in any aspect, especially music part.
And I don't know why you are comparing comedy and drama shows.
If you want compare this show with something, it should be K-On
rsc-plApr 7, 2015 10:50 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Apr 7, 2015 10:47 AM

Feb 2014
Kyoani found a way once again. Both the OP and ED are really good, just like this first episode overall. I loved this too much, definitely one of my favorites this season.
Apr 7, 2015 10:52 AM

Feb 2014
Well the animation is the clear cut best of the season. A good but slow start. I am not sure about the characters, some of the voices were kind of annoying, but they will probably grow on me! I hope this is not unfairly compared to to Shigatsu, also hopefully this one will be a little more upbeat and a little less on the drama side. Like so many other shows that have aired this season this is another one that has a lot of potential
eXtacy67Apr 7, 2015 10:59 AM
Apr 7, 2015 10:53 AM

Mar 2015
Meh besides the visulas it was okay-ish at best.But it's KyoAni so no reason to be surprised.I don't like the female mc.
Hopefully we'll get some cool (jazz)music out of this.
Boring and the usual KyoAni...stuff.
_HeroKenzan_Apr 7, 2015 12:14 PM
Apr 7, 2015 10:59 AM

Jul 2014
I LOVE ASUKA. Just had to get that out of my system.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 7, 2015 11:00 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Kumiko is very indecisive, and that's not a very good sign for a MC. She decides not to join the band on whim while thinking about Kousaka, but ended up joining anyways after looking at her friends' hopeful faces.
Hazuki and Midori are pretty nice going and more likable than Kumiko. Not sure how to feel about Kousaka yet. She might become the source of all kinds of drama.

Shuichi thought he could get all chummy with Kumiko on the premise that he's her osananajimi. Quite funny how Kumiko didn't pay him much attention.
Comparatively, that megane guy seems more interesting. I think he's a "sensei"-type character, since he was driving an (old model) car.

Decent start. I like the ED more than the OP. Has bits of Chuunibyou vibes. Hopefully, this'll bring us more music and less melodrama, unlike a certain series..
Midway card confirms harem themed show! :O

Apr 7, 2015 11:01 AM
Mar 2014
Ridiculously underwhelming. Don't care for the glossiness of the art, but it's technically pretty nice. The prominence of male supporting characters is also quite worrying, especially since the development of a romantic subplot was hinted at. It's all very ham-handed, but enjoyably mediocre.

Why not make a third season of K-On instead of this?
vegetablespiritApr 7, 2015 11:04 AM
Apr 7, 2015 11:02 AM

Jul 2013
Why would anyone want to join a band that sounds like crap? Hope they can turn it around and actually make it good though.

This is just another K-on
lol
Apr 7, 2015 11:05 AM

May 2009
vodall said:
The prominence of male supporting characters is also quite worrying, especially since the development of a romantic subplot was hinted at

Cry me a river, /u/

vodall said:
Why not make a third season of K-On instead of this?

BECAUSE IT'S NOT THEIR IP
Apr 7, 2015 11:07 AM

May 2013
I am liking this so far. Can't wait for the next episode.
Apr 7, 2015 11:12 AM

Jul 2010
A good start with them joining the band.

Kumiko's word is pretty cheap when she constantly says things without actually confirming it with herself. She did sort of find herself a little after seeing people so interested in music. I don't really care about the reason though, just looking forward to seeing Kumiko showing her passion for music.

The teacher(?) enjoying music to that extent. The other club members seemed fun too.
Apr 7, 2015 11:16 AM

Jun 2014
I hate that feeling, when my phone is hanging by the earphones, and then it just drops to the ground when I try to grab it.
This series looks good, I wasn't expecting too much from the cover or the synoposis, but just from the first episode, it looks like it will develop into something good.

Apr 7, 2015 11:17 AM

Jun 2013
I'd watch almost anything from KyoAni. Its a unhealthy relationship yes but I don't mind.
Apr 7, 2015 11:17 AM
Aug 2011
Sapphire/Bass is all I need!

epicm14 said:
Why would anyone want to join a band that sounds like crap?

You act like you've never seen anything before.
People join shitty sports teams, bands, (insert whatever else you can imagine here), all the time and thus hope to improve themselves through sheer determination and teamwork. It's not a new concept.

Didn't know Sakurai Takahiro was in this, never checked the cast before.
Apr 7, 2015 11:21 AM

May 2010
Asuka is such a cutie.

1st half was pretty slow, but the 2nd half was nice. The protagonist seems nice and realistic, blunt and a bit unhonest - I like that. Not sure about the rest of cast, they seem average so far but I guess things can turn out okay as long as they develop? I do like the idea of Kumiko and her childhood friend together, hope there's some ship tease.

The ED is nice. The animation is beautiful as expected of KyoAni. Hmmm good episode I guess. I think it has as much potential as Shirobako... as long as KyoAni keeps a balance b/w story progression and comedy and SOL bits.
Mar 2014
Loved it! Great episode, very nicely directed. I loved how they set up the story and at the same time already managed to establish interesting character backgrounds and relationships. I'm really curious to learn more about the past Kumiko and Reina shared in a band, it seems like they've gone through quite a bit together, and some of it has apparently been not so pleasant.

Nov 2012
Why does Japasn keep trying to force this bullshit trope so much??

Fuck you really, Japan is so pathetic.

Still, the episode was pretty nice. This show would be better overall without the terrible graphics they are trying, exaggerated lights, camera shaking, blur, etc
MomonoApr 7, 2015 1:20 PM
Apr 7, 2015 11:27 AM

Feb 2012
Not my thing. Aside from Haibane Renmei, I don't like shows with all-girl casts. Especially not one whose tone is too broad for any grit to get through.
I Write About Anime (and other stuff) At Standing On My Neck
Apr 7, 2015 11:29 AM

May 2009
Flawfinder said:
I don't like shows with all-girl casts. Especially not one whose tone is too broad for any grit to get through.

>all girls cast
>Kumiko's childhood friend
>Sakurai's teacher
>tall tuba guy
Apr 7, 2015 11:29 AM
Jun 2007
Good start. I am sure I am going to like it...
It's well directed, the animation is great and the characters seem lovable and interesting. Liked some of the dialogues as well (for example, the one of the girl and the guy).

I thought it was great from the first three minutes... Hope my thoughts won't be in vain.
Apr 7, 2015 11:32 AM

Aug 2010
I guess it was an okay start.

Actually liking Kumiko. From the visuals I thought she would be a genki type but was pleasantly surprised that she isn't. I like her laid back personality.

If this has romance then that guy totally has chances near zero with how little she reacted to him being in the same school as her XD

Honestly preferred her in a ponytail tbh :/
Apr 7, 2015 11:34 AM
Jun 2007
Barion-Zara said:
Honestly preferred her in a ponytail tbh :/

I liked the fact that she changed hairstyle... Hope she'll keep on doing it.
Apr 7, 2015 11:49 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
I personally really liked this premise, it was pretty cool.....The MC looks really cute btw (Especially with that ponytail)

I don't get why some people would hate the MC but regardless I liked her more than I thought I would because she's blunt and pretty realistic about things, plus her indecisive habits just means that she has room to grow and that's a plus in my books. I'm hoping that she has some for of romance with her childhood friend too - Her flashback with her sister was really kawaii too

Her friends were pretty likable too and I find it to be cool how the cute short one's name is Sapphire. However, best girl is easily Asuka, she is perfection >//< The male music teacher is pretty likable too and I like the childhood friend dude

The visuals were amazing as usual for KyoAni and the music that we did hear during the episode was pretty good....I like how this is going to be a competition style of series so I'm looking forward to seeing everyone grow and compete together

OP and ED were nice but I liked the ED more....So far this is looking like a pretty decent series and I can't wait to see more of it....In regards to the other black haired girl that the MC knows, I have a feeling that I'm going to end up liking her a lot
TokoyaApr 7, 2015 11:53 AM
Apr 7, 2015 11:50 AM

Jul 2014
ThreePointer said:
I'd watch almost anything from KyoAni. Its a unhealthy relationship yes but I don't mind.

You can never have enough of that KyoAni moe :)
Apr 7, 2015 11:54 AM

Jan 2009
1. Seeing those instruments really brought back my high school band days. Back in middle school, I ended up choosing band as my elective not because I loved it from the start, because I was bad at the other electives. But I eventually grew to love the B-Flat Clarinet I chose because of the way it sounds.

2. I really like kumiko oumae. She seems down to earth. The voice actress of kumiko, kurosawa tomoyo who usually plays characters with high pitch voices… for kurosawa to play one w/ a calm voice is quite an interesting change.

3. Man, no1 here noticed the red string of fate that connected kumiko x reina at the very end of the ED song?? that was so hawt.

9/10
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
Apr 7, 2015 11:56 AM

Jun 2009
I liked it. It was funny and interesting. Graphics are pretty and the ost is nice. Instruments look amazing.
Sapphire and that magic tricks girl from the club are my favourite characters for now. I didn't quite like Kumiko, but I think it will change later.
Can't wait for the next episode.
4/5
I like pancakes.
Apr 7, 2015 11:57 AM

Mar 2014
This was okay bu it wast kind of boring.
Hopefully this show gets better since it does look visually amazing.
Apr 7, 2015 11:58 AM
Mar 2013
Cute girls, cute guys, possibly romance(?) and wonderful visuals. Music's nice too. Nice Kyoani.

Kinda really happy for this show now.
Apr 7, 2015 11:58 AM

Aug 2013
I find it slightly amusing how so many people are immediately loving something this bland.

Anyways, I better see more tromboners trombonists soon.
Apr 7, 2015 11:59 AM
Jul 2018
It was a good start for the series. I really like the art.

Kumiko is so much cuter in a ponytail.
Apr 7, 2015 12:02 PM

Jul 2013
parfaited said:
epicm14 said:
Why would anyone want to join a band that sounds like crap?

You act like you've never seen anything before.
People join shitty sports teams, bands, (insert whatever else you can imagine here), all the time and thus hope to improve themselves through sheer determination and teamwork. It's not a new concept.
before.[/size]

I mean, in high school the band is usually looked down upon, especially if it's not that great. Just like in my high school, our band isn't that great. And because of that, a lot of people are dropping out of it each year.
lol
Apr 7, 2015 12:08 PM

Feb 2012
bastek66 said:
Flawfinder said:
I don't like shows with all-girl casts. Especially not one whose tone is too broad for any grit to get through.

>all girls cast
>Sakurai's teacher
>tall tuba guy

They don't have enough presence in the show to not make me clarify this as monogender.
Apr 7, 2015 12:11 PM

Jun 2012
I want to dislike this but fuck I love Kyoani. Everything was so damn comfy.
Apr 7, 2015 12:13 PM
May 2014
rsc-pl said:
kingsheep812 said:

Lol, which status? Shigatsu was just an (very) average show (in any aspect, especially music part.
And I don't know why you are comparing comedy and drama shows.
If you want compare this show with something, it should be K-On

Shigatsu was bad, but if you really think it was bad in the music department, you're a massive pleb.
The anime industry is dead, the otaku fanbase killed it.
Apr 7, 2015 12:19 PM

Apr 2013
this was great. really enjoyed it
Apr 7, 2015 12:23 PM

May 2009
Flawfinder said:
bastek66 said:

>all girls cast
>Sakurai's teacher
>tall tuba guy

They don't have enough presence in the show to not make me clarify this as monogender.

It's just one episode. If this was monogender they would write them out.
Apr 7, 2015 12:26 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
Came for the cute girls. I got cute girls.

Oddly enough, this is going to be tough for me to watch. I had a terribly awkward and painful time in high school band. No friends, and surprisingly, everyone in the band was a complete douchey dweeb. This sort of brought back some painful memories. But I'll try to enjoy regardless.
Apr 7, 2015 12:28 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
eh...
its pretty much the first time i try an anime SoL/Music in a school and ...

i'm gonna give it a shot for a couple of episodes i guess, but beside the art/animation it's pretty meh so far.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Apr 7, 2015 12:42 PM

Apr 2011
Damn you KyoAni for making kawaii girls especially Asuka <3
Apr 7, 2015 12:48 PM

Apr 2014
im here for the funny delusional kyoani hate lmfao

good episode please continue to be ignorant so i can laugh
Apr 7, 2015 12:49 PM

Feb 2012
bastek66 said:
Flawfinder said:

Eh, this forum ain't a good platform to argue semantics. So I'll just say that aside from Haibane Renmei, I've never really liked an anime where cute girls made up the majority of the cast (I'm not big on Azumanga Daioh or Girls Und Panzer either). If I'm going to watch a KyoAni show, it's going to be one where their casts are a bit more gender-diverse like Amagi or Fumoffu.
Apr 7, 2015 12:49 PM

Oct 2012
Long live the blur and chromatic aberration! But other than it is pretty promising title and what's more - the genre that KyoAni can do well (even though it's K-On all over again).

Many levels above other moe shows, especially if you compare this with recent new horrendous "Haruhi" from Satelight.

This certainly won't be on par with Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso but it would be good in its own way.
Where Kimi Uso was depressing and serious Hibike Euphonium would lighthearted and relaxing.

I really enjoyed the first episode, it seems KyoAni could have made new first step to its former glory.
Apr 7, 2015 12:56 PM

Jun 2011
Flawfinder said:
bastek66 said:

Eh, this forum ain't a good platform to argue semantics. So I'll just say that aside from Haibane Renmei, I've never really liked an anime where cute girls made up the majority of the cast (I'm not big on Azumanga Daioh or Girls Und Panzer either). If I'm going to watch a KyoAni show, it's going to be one where their casts are a bit more gender-diverse like Amagi or Fumoffu.

Why should you even care about chromosome demographics being a judge of quality? Are you perhaps insecure? Oh man, the ridiculousness self-styled "elitists" would reach to come off as superior...

And Comparing this to Shigatsu? The hell? Come on, people.

Anyways, about what I expected from Kyoani. Gorgeous animation, SOL goodness and quirky OP/ED but in BAND form. As a trumpet player, I have mixed feelings being associated with the aloof girl, but we'll see how she mellows out with them.
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 14, 2015

193 by BritishBlitz87 »»
Yesterday, 5:39 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 26, 2015

452 by Pandazzle »»
Apr 7, 8:44 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2015

286 by luisfunes99 »»
Apr 2, 9:04 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 5, 2015

242 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Mar 28, 3:47 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2015

393 by CorayyAnime »»
Mar 25, 2:03 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.