Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 4, 2015 9:06 AM

Apr 2012
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
What was the point of this story?
May 21, 2015 8:01 PM

Sep 2013
That was out of nowhere and unresolved :'(
Feb 27, 2016 9:58 AM

Sep 2015
Cody said:
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
What was the point of this story?

i dunno but still i enjoyed evrey bit of it
Apr 20, 2017 9:51 AM

Jan 2016
That fanclub leader is still alive for me
Aug 15, 2017 10:57 AM

Sep 2011
So many things left unsolved. They are basically dead. There's no way for them to survive much time there.
Aug 20, 2017 6:53 AM
Mar 2014
I don't understand people reaction to this... Remina is literally my favorite work from itou!!! Its more science fiction (with more fiction than science) than horror... But the psychological horror is one of the most realistic and possible ever... He took the "mob psychology" to the extreme( and completely insane) level... I think the hate remina get is because people expect classical junji horror... Which this one is not!!! It's way more original than that!!! I just loved it!!
Jan 3, 2019 5:17 AM

May 2016
Nearly all of humanity piled down on Remina and Daisuke and another miracle out of a series of miracles made them survive all that and more. They even managed to save some other people who are the luckiest people in the universe by going into the Mineishi family's indestructable bomb shelter. Those dumbasses flew into the monster they were running from to get eaten by planetary tentacle creatures without realizing that the only thing that'd actually save them was in their house all along.

That hoodhead piece of shit was her biggest fan all along, that crazy deprived son of a gun. The hobo being Daisuke explained why he knew a lot about what was happening to the planet's gravity and it made a lot of sense that someone who ran away from the richest family around wouldn't end up being successful in any way when you think about it.

I'm glad that the story didn't end with a crappy twist like the other people they rescued being crazy like everyone else because the ending we have now was even bleaker than what could've been. They were spared from the horrible fate of being devoured and assimilated into the hellish landscape of Hellstar Remina but they only have a year left to live, floating aimlessly in space for the rest pf their lives. But who knows? Daisuke might be right and the wormhole that introduced the monster planet might appear and swallow them into a new universe, be it good or bad. We'll never know.

Sep 20, 2019 1:53 AM
Aug 2019
Gosseyn said:
I don't understand people reaction to this... Remina is literally my favorite work from itou!!! Its more science fiction (with more fiction than science) than horror... But the psychological horror is one of the most realistic and possible ever... He took the "mob psychology" to the extreme( and completely insane) level... I think the hate remina get is because people expect classical junji horror... Which this one is not!!! It's way more original than that!!! I just loved it!!
It's the ending, dude
Sep 26, 2019 9:01 AM

Jul 2019
Alright, the end means they all dead!
But all story for me is no sense at all! Or means this Remina planet is more like a Black Hole it absorve everything.
Oct 6, 2019 7:13 PM

Oct 2016
Damn it, this was such an amazing concept! A lot of the horror was so amazing. The reactions of fear towards Remina, the pure shock, the melting scene, all of it. But there was so much bad to it as well.
As amazing as some of the elements were, some of it was just kindergarten-scary-story-tier. Obviously I'm not referring to the Hellish aspects. Like the mustache guy who got cucked being the hooded man all along. That was just silly to me. It made me laugh.
The flying through the skies shit was just so unnecessary. Don't tell me they survived that fall, come on.
And while I agree with the anti-mob mentality message, it just felt like it tried way too hard. Everyone turning into viscous murdering animals just because they believed there was a link between the two Reminas. It was crazy. Why did everyone buy into having to torture her to death? If they truly believed killing her would get rid of the Hellstar, then just kill her!
These stupid bits can't be ignored.
As far as the ending goes, ambiguity in endings doesn't bother me as much as it bothers most. I kind of like them.
Now, as far as concept goes, this is one of the best when it comes to cosmic horror. It was just executed like crap.
Very unfortunate.
The highest I can give it is a 6. At the same time, 6 is the lowest I can give it. This seems to be the case with a lot of my 6's.

Aug 26, 2022 3:31 PM

Dec 2020
That was probably the best ending for this story. They have a year left to live now. I hope they spend it happily. Unless, a miracle somehow saves them.

The homeless guy being Daisuke makes sense. He knew quite a bit about what was happening.

And yeah, forget what I said earlier. That fanclub president is fucking evil too. Piece of trash.

This story really shows how terrifying mob mentality can be.
Sep 17, 2022 1:31 AM

Dec 2009
Aside from Tomie, Intersection's Pretty Boy, and Souichi and a few other reccuring characters, along with almost all of Junji Itou's collections, this is one of the first manga I've just now read.

I haven't read Uzumaki or Gyo, etc. just yet, but as as long story from Junji Itou, this was great.
I agree with the critiscm that this manga seems to have a lacking sense of reason, like seemingly every if not almost all of Junji Itou's horror is left mysterious as far as I can tell from reading over thirty of his manga now, but in this case, regardless of logic to why this is happening, which is indeed disappointing for not comprehending the why, the experience as a whole was fucking awesome.

The characters loving Remina is kinda tasteless, including the (official fan club president) secret villain,
but to see Junji Itou's great horrific drama involved with the destruction of earth against a bizarre star turned planet of absorbing planets is fucking incredible.
From the choas of citizens acting out in terror, mobs attempting to kill Remina, planets being destroyed one after the other before planet Remina enters the solar system of Earth, and the grief from Remina losing her father and Yasumi being killed in front of her was all amazing.

Some things are probably inplausible, and the ending itself where earth falls, and Remina with her savior and a few others survive in a bomb shelter isn't a great finale, but whatever.

I don't understand space in a scientific level, so I can't confirm how accurate or realistic this all is,
but nonetheless, the destruction of earth, planet Remina's odd eye and tongue, people dying after landing in it, the earth spinning at a speed and force causing the gravity to change where Remina and her savior are escaping by floating through the air. Amazing. 7/10.

I always wonder what hidden lore exist in Junji Itou's works from mythology, etc. that I unfortunately am unaware of. I wonder if this one has a hidden lore that we're unaware of from the name Remina.
Nov 4, 2022 3:28 PM

Sep 2019
A perfect ending to the strangest story imaginable!
Jul 16, 2023 8:32 PM

May 2015
Fanboy was the masked man? That is such a disappointing plot twist lol.

But yeah, when homeless dude hit the button, knowing how to enter the house, I had a feeling he was Daisuke.

And so many questions that will never be answered.

This was a fun little read. A nice, silly story, even if that’s not what was intended. I feel like it should’ve been longer if it was gonna see its full potential. But I had fun, so I’m gonna give it a 6/10. Nice read and just in time for bed lol
"It's a tragic misunderstanding that could have been easily avoided if he just finished his sentence in time!"

— Richard Watterson (The Amazing World of Gumball)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hellstar Remina Chapter 7 Discussion

magelet - Jul 14, 2010

40 by Kitsu-nee »»
Jul 30, 2023 12:36 PM

Poll: » Jigokusei Remina Chapter 5 Discussion

SwimminglyDone - Apr 4, 2015

12 by Surana »»
Jul 16, 2023 8:21 PM

Poll: » Jigokusei Remina Chapter 4 Discussion

6 by Surana »»
Jul 16, 2023 8:11 PM

Poll: » Jigokusei Remina Chapter 3 Discussion

7 by Surana »»
Jul 16, 2023 8:03 PM

Poll: » Jigokusei Remina Chapter 2 Discussion

7 by Surana »»
Jul 16, 2023 7:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.