Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 2, 2015 8:44 PM
Apr 2015
Hey everyone, I'm up to date on the latest chapters of the Manga but there's always been one thing I'm confused about. When Nanami travels back in time to try to save Tomoe and meets Yukiji -- I don't understand how the plot is supposed to show that Nanami was the one Tomoe fell in love with all this time.

So in present time, is it safe to think that even before Nanami had time traveled, it is believed that Tomoe already "fell in love" with Yukiji. That whatever happened between them led him to almost die and that's how he was saved by Mikage. Then after meeting Nanami and her learning about the pact that he made with a fallen God, she travels back in time... I understand that all the interactions between past Tomoe and time-traveling Nanami are supposed to show that he is actually interested in her. but i don't see how that correlates with how he ended up with a curse

I guess the part that I don't understand is how the story unfolds to the point where Nanami turns out to be the one he was in love with this entire time, and not Yukiji at first and then Nanami later. If someone who understands the plot could kindly explain this part to me, it would be great!! it's been killing me. i mean its great that they're together now, but i want to understand how it came to be :P
lawnkneeApr 2, 2015 10:18 PM
Apr 30, 2015 11:04 AM
Apr 2015
My english is not that good i apologize ... I been thinking the same about te time traveling of nanami and how it all su To me it doesnt make sense , ill explain why , suppose you are watching the story since the beginning , when tomoe was evil , he fall in love with nanami disguised as yukiji , but why nanami was there the very first time : and yeah people will say to save him but its a time travel loop that doesnt makes sence , maybe the Writter didnt thinking it through ..... Some one explainnn T.T so if nanami wouldnt have time traveled , the tomoe from the past would have died because the real yukiji Hated démons and she didnt had plans on saying any .so she would continúe her normal life and Marry maybe have the ill esa as in the story but not the posibility to eat the medicine with the eye that tomoe gave her , so their descendants wouldnt had the ability to prevail , so maybe nanami would not have the posibility to exist .. I hope that anyone who reads this can understand what un trying to say
Apr 30, 2015 11:28 AM

Jun 2014
From the beginning, Tomoe had fallen in love with Nanami. It's a time travel paradox. There wasn't ever a situation where Tomoe fell in love with the real Yukiji and Tomoe couldn't have ever died because Nanami had time traveled. Nanami didn't rewrite history or anything, she was originally part of it.
Apr 30, 2015 4:28 PM
Apr 2015
But the very first time tomoe met nanami , why does she was traveling to the past ,.. Thats what i dont get ... And yeah its a paradox .... But o just loved that nanami was Really jealous of herself ......i wiill never ever understand this paradox T.T
Apr 30, 2015 5:35 PM

Jun 2014
The first time Tomoe met Nanami, I believe that was when she was in Yukiji's body. I forgot exactly what arc that was, but we're shown all the times that she time traveled.
Feb 13, 2019 3:13 AM
Jan 2019
Snatsuyibuyi said:
But the very first time tomoe met nanami , why does she was traveling to the past ,.. Thats what i dont get ... And yeah its a paradox .... But o just loved that nanami was Really jealous of herself ......i wiill never ever understand this paradox T.T

In my understanding, the very first time she travel in the past was when Mizuki want to show the real Tomoe. She has no mission during that time because its only her soul was traveling. Mizuki would like to discourage Nanami for liking Tomoe and allowed her to time travel.
Feb 13, 2019 4:17 AM
Jan 2019
lawnknee said:
Hey everyone, I'm up to date on the latest chapters of the Manga but there's always been one thing I'm confused about. When Nanami travels back in time to try to save Tomoe and meets Yukiji -- I don't understand how the plot is supposed to show that Nanami was the one Tomoe fell in love with all this time.

So in present time, is it safe to think that even before Nanami had time traveled, it is believed that Tomoe already "fell in love" with Yukiji. That whatever happened between them led him to almost die and that's how he was saved by Mikage. Then after meeting Nanami and her learning about the pact that he made with a fallen God, she travels back in time... I understand that all the interactions between past Tomoe and time-traveling Nanami are supposed to show that he is actually interested in her. but i don't see how that correlates with how he ended up with a curse

I guess the part that I don't understand is how the story unfolds to the point where Nanami turns out to be the one he was in love with this entire time, and not Yukiji at first and then Nanami later. If someone who understands the plot could kindly explain this part to me, it would be great!! it's been killing me. i mean its great that they're together now, but i want to understand how it came to be :P

Hi there! I think its very late to reply but i just want to share my understanding with regards to your question above.

Tomoe really fell in love with Nanami, there were no circumstances that Yukiji showed affection towards Tomoe before he fell in love with Nanami.

When Tomoe almost died because he was attacked by War Kami, Nanami took him and nursed until he recovered. Every night she visit the tiny Tomoe and left him his favorite rice cake. Tomoe liked it and always anticipates Nanami coming to his room. One night came Nanami didnt visit him because he almost recovered. Tomoe asked Futa where is the girl taking care of him. Futa remembered what Nanami told him : never tell her name to Tomoe when he ask. Then Futa just replied "Yukiji" instead of Nanami's name. Since then Tomoe remembered that name.

Next encounter, when Nanami got stabbed and poisoned. She cant barely move because of the poisoned that Tomoe almost raped her but he end up taking care of her. He was really fell for her but Nanami needs to leave and go back to the present. Tomoe asked for her hairpin as the symbol of their promised that Nanami will come back for him and be his wife. During that time, the real Yukiji was there. She witness how Tomoe and Nanami made a promise and how Nanami vanished.

Yukiji became someones bride and got pregnant but Akura keeps on looking for her to kill. Yukiji was sick, very helpless and afraid that her child will be killed so she looked for Tomoe and told him that she came back to fulfill the promised she made with him (she used the scene where she saw Tomoe and Nanami making promised to each other) just to protect her child. She cant even show her face to Tomoe because she looks different from Nanami. Thats why she has blindfold. Even Tomoe told her she looks different but she insist that it was very long time ago since the last time they met and many changes happened to a woman's body. A point came when Yukiji was dying what Tomoe did was he went to the sea to get Dragon King Eyes. That scene the manga showed, it was the real Yukiji she was pregnant that time so after she gave birth she passed the Dragon Eye to her child, till it reached Nanami.

Tomoe fell for Yukiji but he is aware that she is not the person he made the promised with. Thats why when he asked from Kuromaru to make him a human, he traded the hairpin because he treasures it so much as he said it was from the very first girl he fell in love with. Yukiji is second only.

Inuyasha is my number one, but the story of Kamisama Kiss reading only in manga makes it my new number one. The story is very extraordinary! I enjoyed reading it so much, thats why I took time to share what I undertand. Thank you! :)
Mar 14, 2020 3:49 PM
Feb 2020
shaimanuel said:
lawnknee said:

Hi there! I think its very late to reply but i just want to share my understanding with regards to your question above.

Tomoe really fell in love with Nanami, there were no circumstances that Yukiji showed affection towards Tomoe before he fell in love with Nanami.

When Tomoe almost died because he was attacked by War Kami, Nanami took him and nursed until he recovered. Every night she visit the tiny Tomoe and left him his favorite rice cake. Tomoe liked it and always anticipates Nanami coming to his room. One night came Nanami didnt visit him because he almost recovered. Tomoe asked Futa where is the girl taking care of him. Futa remembered what Nanami told him : never tell her name to Tomoe when he ask. Then Futa just replied "Yukiji" instead of Nanami's name. Since then Tomoe remembered that name.

Next encounter, when Nanami got stabbed and poisoned. She cant barely move because of the poisoned that Tomoe almost raped her but he end up taking care of her. He was really fell for her but Nanami needs to leave and go back to the present. Tomoe asked for her hairpin as the symbol of their promised that Nanami will come back for him and be his wife. During that time, the real Yukiji was there. She witness how Tomoe and Nanami made a promise and how Nanami vanished.

Yukiji became someones bride and got pregnant but Akura keeps on looking for her to kill. Yukiji was sick, very helpless and afraid that her child will be killed so she looked for Tomoe and told him that she came back to fulfill the promised she made with him (she used the scene where she saw Tomoe and Nanami making promised to each other) just to protect her child. She cant even show her face to Tomoe because she looks different from Nanami. Thats why she has blindfold. Even Tomoe told her she looks different but she insist that it was very long time ago since the last time they met and many changes happened to a woman's body. A point came when Yukiji was dying what Tomoe did was he went to the sea to get Dragon King Eyes. That scene the manga showed, it was the real Yukiji she was pregnant that time so after she gave birth she passed the Dragon Eye to her child, till it reached Nanami.

Tomoe fell for Yukiji but he is aware that she is not the person he made the promised with. Thats why when he asked from Kuromaru to make him a human, he traded the hairpin because he treasures it so much as he said it was from the very first girl he fell in love with. Yukiji is second only.

Inuyasha is my number one, but the story of Kamisama Kiss reading only in manga makes it my new number one. The story is very extraordinary! I enjoyed reading it so much, thats why I took time to share what I undertand. Thank you! :)

Tomoe never fell in love with the real yukiji, he did feel love toward her, but only because he thought she was the "yukiji"(nanami) he fell in love with.
Tomoe fell in love with nanami when she was pretending to be "yukiji", that's why he saved the real yukiji when she was pregnant, because he thought that she was the same woman..so the love he felt toward the real yukiji was all directed to "yukiji"(nanami). Now, when nanami returned from the time travel, tomoe is aware that he fell in love with her when she was pretending to be "yukiji" and not with the real yukiji. You could say tomoe fell in love with 2 versions of nanami, with the regular nanami, and with nanami when she was portending to be "yukiji".
And also..tomoe curse, when he needed to seal the deal he used nanami's hair pin because he said that she's the one he loves, but he also used the name yukiji, because nanami was pretending to be her.
so when the deal was done because he said the name yukiji, the deal ended up being with the real yukiji, that's why he got the curse when the real yukiji died.
Jun 13, 2020 4:46 AM
Jun 2020
So it was not only me whose confused all along and stressed in the story..
And didn't have the energy to watch but I still continued even my heart aches so much.

Yeah my questions are the same with u guys also I want to meet the author to tell that the paradox is so messy.
zoezabrine2813Jun 13, 2020 5:01 AM
Sep 7, 2021 5:32 PM
Sep 2021
Sorry I'm soo late I wanted to share my 2 cents...I'm confused at how if tomoe used the hair pin for the contract how he managed to buy it from the festival. With it he shouldn't even have the curse. I can buy the fact that since he doesnt remember his past the hairpin wouldn't break the contract. But if that's was what he used it should have been buried until nanami found it back so he could have never have given it to her unless someone found it and sold it in the festival and we pretend it all makes sense. Like his future self couldn't give her the hair pin for her to give his past self and because of that she wouldn't have travelled and he would have died by the river. So something had to have been altered when she went back.
Sep 7, 2021 6:03 PM
Sep 2021
zoezabrine2813 said:
So it was not only me whose confused all along and stressed in the story..
And didn't have the energy to watch but I still continued even my heart aches so much.

Yeah my questions are the same with u guys also I want to meet the author to tell that the paradox is so messy.

I suppose that's how those time travel plots work it's always a bit off? I mean when he gave nanami the hairpin he was already cursed I just feel the hairpin is so instrumental why couldn't he remember it before he gave it away. I mean when she returns back to the future to bring back the hairpin she had to go to where the God went to sleep so essentially if that time loop were to occur tomoe couldn't have given her the hair pin because it was buried? I feel like it could work but I'm missing something maybe?
Sep 7, 2021 7:35 PM
Sep 2021
ErgaDiRaskreia said:
lawnknee said:

Thank you for explaining the blindfold thing you're right I wouldn't have caught that nanami eyes were full of hope and yukijis full of hatred so tomoe would have caught on.
Dec 12, 2021 4:18 AM
Jun 2021
ErgaDiRaskreia said:
Snatsuyibuyi said:

In my understanding, the very first time she travel in the past was when Mizuki want to show the real Tomoe. She has no mission during that time because its only her soul was traveling. Mizuki would like to discourage Nanami for liking Tomoe and allowed her to time travel.

When Mizuki made Nanami time travel for the first time, that's where Nanami and Tomoe met for the first time. However Nanami was actually in Yukiji's body, and this event was one you hear about where a yokai (Akura-oh) burnt down Yukiji's entire village leaving her as a lone survivor.

I suppose what happened in the original timeline (before Nanami time travel) was that Tomoe saved Yukiji from the Yokai (Akura-oh) that burnt her village down, and that's how they met and eventually fell in love, leading to Tomoe making the contract with Kuromaro to become human. But due to Yukiji's (unexplained unless it's in the manga somewhere) sickness, she dies and thus Tomoe is cursed. He wanders around, eventually finding Mikage, who makes him become his familiar and forget Yukiji.

In the current timeline (where Nanami time travelled), when she time travelled for the first time to the past into Yukiji's body, instead of staying with Tomoe like the original Yukiji did, she ran away from him. I believe this changed the future events, and this is why Tomoe "became infatuated" with "Yukiji" (Which was really Nanami in Yukiji's body) but Yukiji didn't fall in love with Tomoe and instead despised yokais - The original Yukiji didn't actually experience meeting Tomoe, it was Nanami who met Tomoe in this timeline, basically changing both Tomoe and Yukiji's memories of that event. It's almost like Nanami created a whole different timeline.

My question is how tf do the original and current timelines connect?? Why did Nanami time travel into Yukiji's body in the first place? Why and how did Nanami end up at the Mikage Shrine after making that promise with Tomoe? If when Nanami was at the Mikage Shrine, told Mikage she needed to save Tomoe, Mikage told her how to save Tomoe, and them two meeting was the reason that Mikage left for 20 years and chose Nanami specifically to be the land god, wouldn't that mean the events in our current timeline had to have happened first? But our current timeline couldn't exist without the original timeline where Tomoe and Yukiji fell in love, so wtf?

I'm not sure how people are saying Tomoe never fell in love with Yukiji; he did in the original timeline, but it seems like Nanami rewrote the past to make Tomoe fall in love with herself instead. It is a little weird to think about how Tomoe fell in love with Yukiji's relative, when he was in love with Yukiji first.

It does bother me how convoluted the time-travel plot is, I wished the author wrote it in a way that was easier to understand, or put out some explanation. In saying that, I am an anime-only fan of Kamisama Kiss, but I'll check out the manga for more context. It's entirely possible the anime was not adapted well and had plot holes, but I still very much loved Season 1-2 very very much and cried many times despite being confused. Tomoe and Nanami hold a special place in my heart now. This concludes my unhinged rant about this series, if anyone can explain things to me better it would be much appreciated<333
Dec 12, 2021 5:51 AM

Feb 2020
miyatobio said:

My question is how tf do the original and current timelines connect?? Why did Nanami time travel into Yukiji's body in the first place? Why and how did Nanami end up at the Mikage Shrine after making that promise with Tomoe? If when Nanami was at the Mikage Shrine, told Mikage she needed to save Tomoe, Mikage told her how to save Tomoe, and them two meeting was the reason that Mikage left for 20 years and chose Nanami specifically to be the land god, wouldn't that mean the events in our current timeline had to have happened first? But our current timeline couldn't exist without the original timeline where Tomoe and Yukiji fell in love, so wtf?

I'm not sure how people are saying Tomoe never fell in love with Yukiji; he did in the original timeline, but it seems like Nanami rewrote the past to make Tomoe fall in love with herself instead. It is a little weird to think about how Tomoe fell in love with Yukiji's relative, when he was in love with Yukiji first.

It does bother me how convoluted the time-travel plot is, I wished the author wrote it in a way that was easier to understand, or put out some explanation. In saying that, I am an anime-only fan of Kamisama Kiss, but I'll check out the manga for more context. It's entirely possible the anime was not adapted well and had plot holes, but I still very much loved Season 1-2 very very much and cried many times despite being confused. Tomoe and Nanami hold a special place in my heart now. This concludes my unhinged rant about this series, if anyone can explain things to me better it would be much appreciated<333

There are no 2 timeline ever. Past happened because Nanami timetravelled. If Nanami hadn't time travelled, Tomoe would not have fallen for Yukiji and everything that followed would not have happened. (Its like first terminator movie if Kyle Reese have had not timetravelled John Connor would never have been born, kyle reese was sent to the past to preserve timelime not to change it).
If nanami had not timetravelled, she wouldnot have been born in the first place. Yukiji never loved Tomoe (and has only really met him like 2 times, she clearly hates yokai and love, her husband). Tomoe was always mistaking nanami's action for yukiji

Check out this for more details
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1549795

AdampkDec 12, 2021 5:58 AM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Feb 12, 2022 9:42 AM
Feb 2022
Hello guys! I just finished the anime and read all of these but I still cant get it because it doesnt make sense to me at all..is it that the past and the future are both connected or different time lines or Nanami just changed the past but i dont think so or idk..because I cant get the part where Nanami is the one who Tomoe loves like how did that happen in the past when Nanami wasnt even alive.. It shouldve happened in the past but how? And the hairpin thing confused me because how did Nanami from the future can find it ..How is Nanami the girl Tomoe loves when she wasnt alive 500 years ago and in the future when she is alive she travelled back in time only then all of that happened..how did her future self created the past that shouldve existed when she travelled back and met Mikage and said she can save Tomoe..how can the pasy never existed if she didnt tell Mikage that like...its crazy i cant get it..idk how to explain what im thinking i hope i explained it well and my english is well so u can understand me..i will be very grateful if u can explain it to me
YowaiMon123Feb 12, 2022 9:53 AM
Jun 23, 2022 6:31 PM
Jul 2020
So, I know a lot of people are asking about the hair pin, but from my understanding, didn’t Nanami bring the hair pin (that Tomoe bought for her) back into the past? Or did Tomoe buy the hair pin for Nanami specifically IN the past? Because if any of that is the case, the hair pin is the reason why the original curse never established. It was never Yukiji’s hair pin and it was not connected to her. The curse was prevented this way and Tomoe was able to live in his new timeline.

(Please correct me if I’m wrong about the hair pin theory lmao I’m hoping I didn’t overlook certain details throughout this arc since it’s a lottttttt of information to keep up with šŸ˜…)
azenobioJun 24, 2022 3:49 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kamisama Hajimemashita Chapter 113 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2014

9 by DebiPS »»
Feb 3, 2023 1:34 PM

» Last Chapter

BlueSquaddy - Oct 16, 2022

1 by BlueSquaddy »»
Oct 16, 2022 9:16 PM

Poll: » Kamisama Hajimemashita Chapter 12 Discussion

FireHeart - Jan 16, 2016

3 by omgduckymomo »»
Sep 14, 2022 5:28 PM

Poll: » Kamisama Hajimemashita Chapter 149 Discussion

Senpaiisanidjit - May 20, 2016

34 by _Shara_ »»
Sep 8, 2022 8:34 AM

Poll: » Kamisama Hajimemashita Chapter 148 Discussion

_Shara_ - Sep 8, 2022

0 by _Shara_ »»
Sep 8, 2022 8:08 AM
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.