Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 1, 2015 11:05 PM

Jan 2011

Somen are the type of noodles used for "Flowing noodles" where cooked noodles are slid down a bamboo shoot through the water running through it. People catch the noodles with their chopsticks and dip the noodles in a sauce before eating. I'm sure you've probably seen it somewhere else, but one example is briefly shown in the anime "Air" where Kano wanted to try it (although unfairly positioned at the top, while Yukito and Potato were farther down.) Anyway, Somen noodles cook very fast so the real task is making the dipping sauce.

In episode 5 of Gourmet Girl Graffiti, Shiina's caretaker, Tsuyuko, was helping Ryou and Kirin prepare Somen noodles. She first creates a sesame paste by grinding the seeds in a giant mortar and pestle, and then proceeds to chop green onions.

When you cook for fun, you can do whatever you want. My topic posting today is pretty much looking good while you cook in front of others. As much as this show is pretty outlandish with the methods, the food and process is pretty legit. It's really almost like a cooking show secretly posing as anime. Anyway, as Tsuyuko is chopping the green onions, she chops too fast and some of the onions aren't cut through all the way and looks like a bendy straw with a bunch of cuts in them.

It's not really that big of a deal, but presentation wise it's best to just take it normal speed as you go. From working in a teppen bar my best presentations have always been from not rushing. Pick the finest looking greens, place the best garnish and decorations, playing the expediter (the guy that makes sure your order is right and cleans up any imperfections on your plate before you get it), etc. Look the best by not rushing.

Of course there's always Spike Spencer showing you how you can look cool while cooking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5drZtOeghGI
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» About 10 years ago....

RamenSoup43 - Mar 2, 2021

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Mar 2, 2021 7:49 PM

» RAMENSOUP RECIPE POST: Pancit Bihon

RamenSoup43 - Nov 24, 2016

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Nov 24, 2016 4:44 AM

» KITCHEN KNOWLEDGE: "Chopsticks Dos and Don'ts"

RamenSoup43 - Nov 21, 2015

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Nov 21, 2015 8:14 PM

» KITCHEN KNOWLEDGE: "There's a party in my mouth and everyone's invited!"

RamenSoup43 - Apr 4, 2015

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Apr 4, 2015 7:04 AM

» Gourmet Girl Graffiti - I've been waiting for a show like this!

RamenSoup43 - Feb 17, 2015

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Feb 17, 2015 10:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.