Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Apr 19, 2015 8:15 PM

Mar 2015
Ok, so the mecha genre is basically a sub genre of science fiction, and any good work of science fiction explores the human condition while providing a unique backdrop through it's setting. Non-anime examples of this include books like 1984, Brave New World, and even Frankenstein; and movies such as Blade Runner and The Matrix.

I enjoy the mecha genre because I find the technology present in such shows to be really awe inspiring and they lend to very inventive worlds for characters to struggle with their humanity in. For example, Code Geass and Gundam Wing are both shows which tackle philosophical and political issues, but mask it behind giant mech battles.
Apr 19, 2015 8:17 PM

Mar 2012
retrogamer32x said:
There are a lot of exceptions to this, but those shows are almost all older or not as popular. Gasaraki is nothing like what you described, but how many people know Gasaraki vs. how many know Evangelion (which is from the same year), you know?

EDIT: Actually Gasaraki came out one year after Eva, my bad on that.
You're right. Even if my theory is accurate (and I'm not sure that it is), there are bound to be plenty of exceptions, since there are a lot of other reasons that people like mecha.

My (limited) experiences with mecha series seem to fit the bill pretty well (Eva, Giant Robo, Gunbuster, TTGL, FLCL, Code Geass). Giant Robo is perhaps the best example. The main character just so happens to "own the wristwatch that controls the world's most powerful robot!" What a coincidence! Haha.

Never heard of Gasaraki. Maybe I'll check it out..
JoshApr 19, 2015 8:21 PM
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Apr 19, 2015 8:22 PM

Mar 2013
josh_ said:
retrogamer32x said:
There are a lot of exceptions to this, but those shows are almost all older or not as popular. Gasaraki is nothing like what you described, but how many people know Gasaraki vs. how many know Evangelion (which is from the same year), you know?

EDIT: Actually Gasaraki came out one year after Eva, my bad on that.
You're right. Even if my theory is accurate (and I'm not sure that it is), there are bound to be plenty of exceptions, since there are a lot of other reasons that people like mecha.

My (limited) experiences with mecha series seem to fit the bill pretty well (Eva, Giant Robo, Gunbuster, TTGL, FLCL, Code Geass). Giant Robo is perhaps the best example. The main character just so happens to "own the wristwatch that controls the world's most powerful robot!" What a coincidence! Haha.

You need to watch more mecha.
Apr 20, 2015 1:42 AM

Apr 2015
Because they are awesome!
#CHEXIT
Apr 20, 2015 6:53 AM

Nov 2013
I don't see the elitist thing you're talking about. If anything I see mecha hated on more.
As for the appeal, it's just entertaining and enjoyable like any other genre can be. Is this really that hard to comprehend?
Apr 20, 2015 7:01 AM

Nov 2012
This thread is just stupid. Elitists that say mecha are the best? Someone's just trying to get attention.
Apr 20, 2015 7:09 AM

Apr 2014
I don't like mecha because I think fighting with giant robots isn't really personal skill but more power of the robot, whihc means that even the weakest person can be the "Strongest" character of the show, which is something I dislike a lot.
Apr 20, 2015 9:03 AM

Aug 2013
robots are cool
huh
Apr 21, 2015 9:22 AM

Apr 2014
Tomoki_Sakurai said:
This thread is just stupid. Elitists that say mecha are the best? Someone's just trying to get attention.

Everyone can like anything imo. Say, how many mecha anime have you watched besides Code Geass to judge people man?

Apr 21, 2015 5:48 PM

Jun 2012
fst said:
josh_ said:

You need to watch more mecha.
No he doesn't, he's seen enough to know the broad appeal of the genre is weak.
Listing the appeal of specific mecha shows like Gasaraki or Ideon is irrelevant considering there are near thousands of other mecha shows that do not have that appeal, thus it is not the appeal of mecha but the appeal of a show you like.
Apr 21, 2015 7:57 PM

Jun 2014
What appeal? Heuheuheu.
Apr 21, 2015 8:01 PM

Feb 2015
Mecha could be in everything.

mecha master genre
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - 2 hours ago

11 by Rhaelynne »»
29 seconds ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - 6 hours ago

15 by BitChilly »»
5 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - 2 hours ago

17 by Kenzolo-folk »»
6 minutes ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 5 hours ago

22 by logopolis »»
19 minutes ago

Poll: » Interest and hobbies change with time

nishant0 - 3 hours ago

18 by LightWorker »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.