Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Post New Reply
Poll: Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 12 Discussion

Apr 1, 2015 8:53 AM
surfboard_ said:
reeeb said:
Well, it started great, but I think the anime lost itself in the middle episodes. I found it a bit forced sometimes, maybe trying to be a "new Penguindrum". But the final episodes closed it well.
The first 3 episodes are certainly a lot more abstract and fast paced than the rest. They probably felt that they were "overdoing it", or just did that in order to impress the viewers (I think the first court session caught everyone by surprise once we saw what came after YURI APPROVED). Fact is, from episode 4 and on we see more acessible material and the death of the somewhat subtle images we treat as "symbolism" material. Its indeed a decline but it doesn't compromise the substantial material.

Honestly, I've been keeping up with the dub* so I've recently rewatched the first three episodes again in both languages and they really don't hold up as well as I expected they would my first time through (when I assumed that we would get more insight to the events once later revelations happened). Yes they are intense, but the motivations of the bears doesn't explain their aggression towards Kureha in the beginning which is there solely to mislead you about what their dynamic is. The transformation scenes never were given any sort of explanation. The best I can come up with is she's falling down the stairs because the Judgemens are using their powers to protect her from bears who did not go to court to get Yuri approval for their kills and a side effect is a sexy dream while there magic is working, and we were just seeing Lulu and Ginko's motion for noms on the Invisible Storm interspliced; it's really weak, but better than nothing. It isn't satisfying when you recognize these "symbolic" events have no payoff in the narrative.

I find the slow episodes like 4 and 8 to be among the best; Ikuhara shows always seem most compelling to me when they are character studies (I think the Black Rose Arc is the most interesting thing Ikuhara has ever done), and I think I would enjoy this more on a rewatch if we had gotten less misdirection about what Ginko and Lulu's motivations are and what they are doing relative to Kureha. They could have used that time to develop one or two of the Invisible Storm girls. Kaoru gets all of one line of character development (that her harassment is primarily driven by insecurity she will be the next target if she isn't the leader of the Invisible Storm) five seconds before she gets eaten. Exploring different reasons people join into herd mentalities could add another layer of depth.

*Which has only gotten better over time; I genuinely think Tipton gives a more passionate performance as Kureha than Yamane, Caitlin Glass was never going to exceed Aoi Yuki's performance as Mitsuko but she definitely approaches it in the rooftop scene in episode 3, and the adaptive script makes some really good choices in my opinion to make it convincing with only a couple lines delivered or phrased poorly. Still not feeling the voices chosen for the bears though; they are giving good performances, but just rubs me the wrong way
Modified by Grungehamster, Apr 1, 2015 9:03 AM

Apr 1, 2015 5:34 PM

well this is the first show in a long time (or ever) to mess with my head and make me go "wtf is even going on?"

so they both die and live on in kumaria's heavenly whateverplace as yuri approved. they didn't back down on their love to the end.

ofc the whole show is a big fat metaphor, so you could say they only died in the eyes of society if you count the guns as finger points of exclusion.

those excluders, especially the leader, shoulda died tho. i wanted them to die. agreeing with yuri or not, even if it's just excluding, it's still twisted and deranged to witch hunt for them. though then again, another one woulda just popped up after doing the same thing :<

shabadadu.
Modified by GenesisAria, Apr 1, 2015 5:38 PM

❀桜舞う空~      PM me with your scientific questions and ideas.        my Last.FM

Apr 1, 2015 7:48 PM
Asagami said:
jimjameswhatever said:
The two MCs "died" in the same way that Utena "died." They moved on from the restraints of social norms.

Actually I find the ending is very Utena-esque but with a happier -and some way with a less ambiguous- tone. I like it, but it is not so powerful like the endings of Utena and Penguindrum, where I found me crying and feel me weird about the fates of the characters. Here... not, only Lulu caught my attention since the first episodes :(

Good series, anyway. But I actively recommend watch the previous work of Ikuhara to see his better stories.

I agree with this. The ending was VERY similar to the ending of Utena, but not nearly as powerful or subtle. The show in general just wasn't subtle or elegant especially at the end, when the characters are just sort of raptured up to heaven.

The show has some interesting stuff, and I'm always glad to see Ikuhara make more anime, but compared to Penguindrum or Utena I thought it was rather over the top and at several points a bit of a train wreck.
Modified by millguy, Apr 1, 2015 7:58 PM

Apr 1, 2015 9:33 PM

From the moment I heard about this anime being directed by Ikuhara. I'm not so sure because the title for this anime is ''Yuri Kuma'' or Lesbian Bears fuck yeah I can understand JAPANESE language! Fuck you weeaboofaggots!

After penguins we got bears, and lesbian bears at that.

The OP is wow!

The character designs... my god! Here's a problem:

UTENA

Penguindrum

Yuri Kuma

Look at dat smile!

Catch phrases are annoying! DO YOU THINK THIS IS A MOTHERFUCKING POKEMON?!!

4/10 Ikuhara, I'm disappointed.

Wait! dat BIG sis x lil brother<3 scene!

5/10

Apr 1, 2015 9:55 PM
I get not being a fan of the character design (Morishima definitely is a love or hate artist) but are you seriously going to complain about the animation being off on a smile while praising Utena? I love Utena, definitely beats both Ikuhara's other shows as far as the story goes, but it's PLAUGED with animation errors (see: half the shots of Touga). It's not Musashi Gundog bad, but calling Utena visually stunning is... it has moments of brilliance for sure, but it doesn't have the tools or budget of modern shows and it is obvious just by watching most episodes.

Apr 1, 2015 10:45 PM

final verdict from me is 8/10 :3 that kiss scene got me so fangirly >.<

The show is definitely a masterpiece, the symbolism is really interesting as well.
Though shows with alot of those symbolism arent really my type to focus on.

This one is still great because it has that kuma shock and OP which smells like yuri everywhere xD

Apr 1, 2015 10:49 PM

Hito420 said:
one thins i wont say annoyed me by found myself talking to my monitor doing was

in this kind of weird and fantasy yuri show that is not set on a normal world, u have to get your logic out of the way.

Apr 2, 2015 1:15 AM

mm Kureha is actually hot as a semi-bear. I don't do very good with a lot of symbolism, but it was entertaining most of the time.. 7/10
Now I want a show about lesbian seagulls.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Apr 2, 2015 2:03 AM
Lily Gardener

Beautiful ending to a fantastic series!! 10/10

Apr 2, 2015 10:18 AM

What a sweet ending, just thinking about it gives me happy feelings inside.
Powered by yuri.
Needless to say, I finish all anime I start, no matter my initial opinion, no matter how bad it gets, I WILL FINISH IT!
http://www.anime-planet.com/users/zunderdog24

Apr 2, 2015 1:45 PM

Now that I think about it there wasn't one male human in this anime.
7/10

Apr 2, 2015 4:27 PM

RediceRyan said:
Now that I think about it there wasn't one male human in this anime.
7/10
that's what happens in girls' schools. (where yuri is most likely to happen, and where it would be a prominent issue)
Modified by GenesisAria, Apr 2, 2015 4:31 PM

❀桜舞う空~      PM me with your scientific questions and ideas.        my Last.FM

Apr 2, 2015 7:24 PM

YURI APPROVED This show was absolutely amazing and beautiful
DAm what a powerful episode that was LULU at the end maybe ?????
9/10 for me didn't change my score till the last 3 episodes usally I dopped them down this just had such an amazing ending
[/quote]

Apr 3, 2015 1:12 AM
I love it. I love the ending. But ... what happened at the end?? lol

Apr 3, 2015 5:21 AM

10/10 because of reasons
Yuri approved.
Couldn't stop crying. From when they kissed to the ending. Damn even after the ending, tearing up rn.
Lots of ikuhara things.
Very importante message for pur society, i understand the low rating: it's cause people are dumb
I can't believe an anime dared to go that deep into homosexuality, instead of making it all fanservice like sakura trick.
Coming from an all girl school i can relate to this and it's nice that somebody talks about it
Modified by danielamaghini, Apr 3, 2015 5:25 AM

Apr 3, 2015 9:08 AM

100000000000000000000000000000/1000000000000000000000000

Apr 3, 2015 9:33 AM

this ending had me scratching my head a bit but over all i liked this anime. I had always said that Sumika wasnt dead, and I was sort of right, so that was good to know
Banner.jpg

Apr 3, 2015 11:18 AM

Denmark-Chan said:
this ending had me scratching my head a bit but over all i liked this anime. I had always said that Sumika wasnt dead, and I was sort of right, so that was good to know

Can we say that Sumika never existed? She was something abstract.

Apr 4, 2015 12:44 AM

Really nice ending. The girl and the discarded bear coming together at the end was great.
Also, Lulu and her little brother at the end. <3

Apr 4, 2015 3:30 AM

I can't believe I almost dropped this (the first two or three episodes weren't so promising), it was so much better than I first thought. Also LULU BEST GIRL

8/10 or 9/10 maybe overall

Apr 4, 2015 2:08 PM

Wow the ending was quite something I must admit.
So from what I understand one of the biggest messages at the end was that before you try to change someone else you should try to change yourself first, right?

And wow Sumika was Kumalia all along? Or was that just how Kureha imagined Kumalia in her mind?

Also Lulu being reunited with her brother was really nice and touching <3

smiles and tears are decorations for tomorrow

Apr 6, 2015 10:22 AM

Just finished watching ep 12.
Still don't understand.
what happen to kureha & ginko? and also to lulu?
i'll just read the comments to understand.

EDIT: OK i've read most of it especially from CookingPriest & Takuan_Soho thx and I understand most of it.

nothing much to say here. 8/10.
Modified by matias067, Apr 6, 2015 11:02 AM

Apr 6, 2015 11:32 AM

so in the end all 3 girls did not die and they found true love, looks like the black twin tail girl and that defected bear will continue the story of struggle...

i guess there is no definite answer, we see what we want to see, just like the characters in this show

a nice ending to an interesting series that has no male character at all :)

Apr 6, 2015 3:21 PM

klaymore said:
You literally see what you want to see

Apr 7, 2015 12:25 AM

surfboard_ said:
klaymore said:
You literally see what you want to see

He said this

Apr 8, 2015 7:07 AM

Never back down on love <3
This was really beautiful ^_^

Apr 8, 2015 12:00 PM

So Sumika was Kumaria, it was a surprise!
A really nice end, Kureha sure turned into a cute bear, it was cute...and Lulu <3 7/10

Apr 11, 2015 12:47 AM

I too liked the ending.....how could I not....it was very sweet and our MC finally accepts herself for what she is....A lesbian.

However, there was a lot that I didn't understand and I don't think I will fully grasp from this anime....I think that's Ok, because the main message was crystal clear.

The only thing is....if we REALLY wanted to get a better look on how society frowns upon gays....it would've been more effective to have done so in the perspective of two MALES....but who knows if it gets the amount of views compared to an anime filled with very cute girls.

In the end....Truly, Yuri is the PUREST form of love....7/10

Apr 20, 2015 5:41 AM
Gave me a bit more Kuma Shock than penguindrums did.
Sumika = Lady Kumaria greatest conspiracy.
Yuri lives on. It's a world within a world within a storybook told to the immortal little brother by Lulu in another world and everything's a metaphor.
The stylistic sequences (court, search evil etc, yuri approved etc) works to its advantage in anchoring the convoluted plot into key events, and delivers on the rules of this world.
Anime characters kiss, how rare is that? I thought the show started nonsensical, then plotlines diverged then converged, some symbols explained, and became the most cool, kirakira, and shabadaaduu show.

Apr 22, 2015 4:37 AM

uh ok

yeah i'm definitely not a fan of this lol
the OP song is fantastic
the style is quite nice, but overdone. i do love the watercolor/crayon style tho!
the plot is very jumbly and everywhere which was my concern :S
i really liked the premise too.
another thing i disliked was dialogue. they say the goddamn same things in each episode "how true is your love?" and "i won't back down on my love!" which got to my nerves.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

watch nodame cantabile

Apr 22, 2015 6:50 AM

mayukachan said:
they say the goddamn same things in each episode "how true is your love?" and "i won't back down on my love!" which got to my nerves.
i guess ikuhara is a man of repetition. Sometimes it looks like those bear people are in a reality show fighting for their love or lust but more important, the very repetition of it is a way to reafirm the main motif, not that its the best way for that but thats how this sad japanese fellow likes to operate.

Apr 23, 2015 11:01 PM

I'M STILL SO CONFUSED BUT I LOVED THIS ANIIME 8/10

May 5, 2015 12:02 AM

Cant say i understood it fully.
But i liked it.
The whole last episode kinda lost me though.
Whatever, slow start, but it picked up and i ended up enjoying it!
8/10
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.

May 16, 2015 1:43 PM

Meh, actually thought that the series was pretty boring overall. Definitely better than others from this season but a tad dull imo.
And it didn't even contain yuri till the end :c

6/10 overall
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

May 17, 2015 7:02 AM
Bizarre and confusing, so complex yet I could manage to understand the story. An experience like i had with Mawaru Penguindrum. Never thought I could experience something like this again. Definitely one of its kind.

9/10

May 31, 2015 6:08 PM

Godtier_Taste said:

Wait! dat BIG sis x lil brother<3 scene!

5/10

Why are you knocking Yuri Kuma points off because of catchphrases when catchphrases have been a staple in all of Ikuhara's anime? Do you KNOW how many times we had to hear about the Egg's Shell in Utena?

Or how many times she reminded herself to crush them soon in Penguindrum?

Jun 1, 2015 5:02 AM
sonofcasbah said:
Godtier_Taste said:

Wait! dat BIG sis x lil brother&lt;3 scene!

5/10

Why are you knocking Yuri Kuma points off because of catchphrases when catchphrases have been a staple in all of Ikuhara's anime? Do you KNOW how many times we had to hear about the Egg's Shell in Utena?

Or how many times she reminded herself to crush them soon in Penguindrum?

Apparently Ikuhara is on record that he loves repetition unlike virtually every other animation director out there. Repeated lines, repeated scenes: he compares them to religious ceremonies and mantras that gain strength and power through structured reuse. Establishing patterns only to either break them or change the context for the audience is something that he does frequently, and you either dig it or you don't.

...that said, anything actually said explicitly by Ikuhara should be assumed to be trolling until established otherwise.

Jun 26, 2015 11:30 AM

the ending was super predictable but well, I liked it

overall the first 5 episode were boring for me, then it became better and better

rating 7/10 for me

Jun 28, 2015 11:36 AM

The show was pretty meh. At first I thought it was just pure symbolism for something, but when the bears actually start murdering people I started to just take everything at face value. All the bears in the city are murderers, they deserve to be excluded. But I like yuri, the colors, love the opening, and I like the bear-human designs. 7/10.

Jul 3, 2015 2:39 PM

Ranked: #2222"

Jul 23, 2015 7:13 AM
1/5 because Monokuma didnt show up to reveal he was the mastermind behind the plan to make Kureha despair.

In all seriousness while watching this show i was like: so this is what you get when you cross Utena with Danganronpa.
And behold, when i looked up the show here i find out its directed by the same person who directed Utena. I wonder if he's a fan...

Liked the show though. I pretty much disregarded the symbolism as well and just viewed it as a love story with a bizarre twist. 4/5

Sep 6, 2015 5:23 PM

I cannot rate any anime with such beautiful animation lower than 8/10, so I'll rate this 8.

However, I'm sad but I felt nothing. I was just sitting there enjoying YKA visually, but when it comes to feelings, it fails so hard. The only idea behind the story was "Don't give up on love (even if it's a bear)", so it felt really shallow to me, I dunno.

But I admit it was sexy, shabadadadoo.

Nov 27, 2015 2:08 PM

''violence & profanity'' where exactly?

Dec 31, 2015 2:12 PM
Finally finished this show...I must say, I know exactly why I was reluctant to watch this after previously seeing Penguindrum. Ikuhara makes good shows, but it just takes so much effort for me to process through it...I've read like every single post in the episode discussions for YKA while watching this, so I'm def. going to need a less thinking-intensive anime after this.

Hm, since about like 4~5 eps ago I had a theory (I don't recall where it came from) but I'm surprised that I haven't someone post the same idea here...I think (or my memory is bad).
Well, I just happened to take an intro to psychology class the last semester, and tbh I think some of Freud's ideas are touched on by the show. Specifically the idea of id, ego and superego. I think the humans + Life Cool represent superego (societal expectations) which should be quite obvious with the "people who can't read the mood are evil!". Bears + Life Beauty are id (inner desires), like how the bears are eating others and there was the whole Yurizono is lust thing. And then continuing this logic Life Sexy is like the middle between the two.
Basically I think the point was that the two main characters had to get over their respective side and "shatter the mirror/themselves" (Ginko overcoming the Yurizono lust thing) (Kureha accepting Ginko / not being prideful) and then when they come together in balance,
  • they become these human/bear hybrid thingies
  • the Wall of Severance which separated the two sides seems to break or something. Like the pattern changed to that on the Door of Friendship
  • they have their "promised kiss" that's supposed to represent like true love. Or something like that.

So I don't think the show is necessarily about homosexuality specifically but kinda a commentary on societal standards / inner desires in general but homosexuality was used to convey it since it fits.

There is still probably a ton of stuff that I'm not completely sure about and symbolisms that I dunno if I would be able to explain, like why the fuck Kumaria was Sumika and what death is supposed to represent in this metaphor. But...the above is /major message/ I got out of the show.
If my theory doesn't hold up to the show because of something I didn't consider, please feel free to point out the flaws

I thought the show was pretty good. Like 8.5/10 but not sure if I should round up or down :|
I think for now I'll give it a final score of 8/10 and I'll change it later if I feel the need to

Jul 18, 2016 7:07 AM

Great show! It had a confusing start at the beginning but it was worth to watch it till the end to get all the meanings and symbolism. A very magical experience :)

Jul 31, 2016 5:40 PM
I just finished watching the anime and it was so confusing if someone could explain in a nutshell that would be great, also I've heard that they aren't actually girls that its more of a gay relationship... How?

Sep 1, 2016 9:29 AM
The beginning of the anime was boring, but things started to get better, and this end was pretty cool! My note is 8/10. Gao Gao :)

Sep 17, 2016 1:51 PM
GenesisAria said:

those excluders, especially the leader, shoulda died tho. i wanted them to die. agreeing with yuri or not, even if it's just excluding, it's still twisted and deranged to witch hunt for them. though then again, another one woulda just popped up after doing the same thing :<

Yeah, I think that was intentional. The evil main girl/woman at the top got killed like 4 or 5 times during the show and it didn't change anything. They just went on business as usual.

The bad girls didn't spend much time mourning their fallen or re-branding their mission as an effort to avenge their leader. They didn't spend much time celebrating their successes either, the invisible storm meetings just kept going at a steady pace. They didn't make it personal, because it isn't personal. The problem isn't a bad person or the bad personal relationship between two individuals, it's the whole system, invisibly surrounding them like the atmosphere.

If just killing the bad guys would lead to social progress then that kind of change would happen MUCH faster. Humans have been busy killing the bad guys for thousands of years now, exactly because it feels like the right thing to do. But what's going to bring change in the end is neither shooting lots of bears nor mauling vicious schoolgirls.

Nov 11, 2016 6:07 AM

A very bittersweet ending and a very good anime overral
8/10

Dec 15, 2016 10:37 AM

I never would have seen the Kumaria twist coming. Unlike a lot of people here :/

Also, I wonder if that scene in the end means that everything was a fairytale or that Lulu died and met her brother. Probably the latter. That's... kind of sad.

I could always change my mind, but it's 8/10 to me.

Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »