Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 29, 2015 10:02 PM

Oct 2009
Uninstall it, delete any remaining puush files and folders (appdata etc) and make sure puush.daemon.exe is gone.

Scan computer after and download newest version. - https://twitter.com/puushme

GogettersMar 29, 2015 10:16 PM
Mar 29, 2015 10:05 PM

Jun 2014
What exactly is this "Puush" thing?

Mar 29, 2015 10:10 PM

Oct 2009
A program that is very useful for taking screenshots, images, files and uploading them to share quickly.

Example would be Ctrl+Shift+2 to have puush take a screenshot of you current window, it will then upload it to your account and automatically copy the link to your clipboard.
GogettersMar 29, 2015 10:25 PM
Mar 29, 2015 10:46 PM
May 2014
I had push but I'm not at my pc atm. It get hacked or something?
Mar 29, 2015 10:50 PM

Oct 2009
It was infected with malware yesterday, latest version fixed that.
Mar 30, 2015 1:55 AM

Jan 2009
Gogetters said:
Was it from the Website http://puush.me/?

Was only one specific Version affected and did it get detected by the Anti-Virus Programs on VirusTotal? Also, was there a Possibility to disable Auto-Update Features or at least, decide to save the Setup first or where you screwed even on a previous Version, the Moment you had allowed Internet Access to that Tool?
Mar 30, 2015 11:03 AM

Oct 2009
Noboru said:
Gogetters said:
Was it from the Website http://puush.me/?

Was only one specific Version affected and did it get detected by the Anti-Virus Programs on VirusTotal? Also, was there a Possibility to disable Auto-Update Features or at least, decide to save the Setup first or where you screwed even on a previous Version, the Moment you had allowed Internet Access to that Tool?
The details they've given are on their twitter. https://twitter.com/puushme
Mar 30, 2015 12:26 PM

Jan 2009
Doesn't say much, except that a certain Update that was pushed out in a specific Time Frame was infected with Malware.

Neither the exact Type of Malware (Rootkit, Backdoor, Keylogger, Spyware, etc.), nor the exact Infection Vector was mentioned, whether the Updates and/or Installation are automatic and on which Point you got infected (right when connecting to the Update Server or only when you've run the Setup).
Mar 30, 2015 9:08 PM

Aug 2014
The malware was a keylogger + grabbed your locally stored passwords in firefox/chrome, and yes the program updates automatically. If your computer was on when the infected update was puushed (heh see what i did there) then you should consider any browser saved password compromised, or ones you typed in for the few hours the update was live.

It's not really a big deal unless you used a credit card or something during that timeframe, otherwise they handled it pretty well all things considered. Just change your passwords for anything you care about to be safe.

Mar 31, 2015 7:48 AM

Jan 2009
Ok thanks, that answers most of my Questions, except the one how the automatic Updates are handled (does it automatically install the new Version or only remind you of it or respectively: can you set it like that) and whether you got compromised right when connecting to the Update Server or only during/after Installation.

btw.: I'm not using puush, but I'm just curious about this Incident. New Details should come out soon after going through the "Tweets & replies" Section and reading the Replies.
Mar 31, 2015 12:10 PM

Aug 2014
Noboru said:
Ok thanks, that answers most of my Questions, except the one how the automatic Updates are handled (does it automatically install the new Version or only remind you of it or respectively: can you set it like that) and whether you got compromised right when connecting to the Update Server or only during/after Installation.

btw.: I'm not using puush, but I'm just curious about this Incident. New Details should come out soon after going through the "Tweets & replies" Section and reading the Replies.

Puush only has automatic updates and there's no way to turn it off, at least from my brief look in the setting. And I don't quite understand the second question but as far as I understand you only got infected if your PC was online and connected to the update server, like you only had the infection if your puush was running update r94 for any period of time.

If I had to guess they will probably make changes to the automatic updating after this incident lol.

Also personally I am still going to use puush, I think it's a good service and even with this hiccup like I said they did damage control very well, and I just changed my passwords so it's not really any harm done to me, I hardly had any saved. I was playing video games when it happened so if someone looked at my log from the keylogger I presume they would see "WASDASADADADAWDADAD". =]

Mar 31, 2015 12:44 PM

Jan 2009
-Haku said:
Puush only has automatic updates and there's no way to turn it off, at least from my brief look in the setting. And I don't quite understand the second question but as far as I understand you only got infected if your PC was online and connected to the update server, like you only had the infection if your puush was running update r94 for any period of time.
There are different Methods how Updates are handled. Some Programs inform you only about a new Version and link you to their Homepage or even to the direct Download URL, which usually downloads into the %temp% Folder, then. If it's the direct Download like with VLC-Mediaplayer, you can either decide to directly install the Setup or decline and move the Files to another Location first. In any Case, you normally need to have Admin Rights to have it installed and you have to explicitly allow the Installation (provided that the UAC is not disabled)
Browsers like Chrome and Firefox can update themselves completely automatically, so I guess it's something similar to that from your Description.

If I had to guess they will probably make changes to the automatic updating after this incident lol.
I hope so, too. It seems convenient, at least.

More topics from this board

» Is 8 gb vram enough these days?

Cnon - Mar 5

20 by loligoth666 »»
11 minutes ago

» Stellar Blade Preview: Sekiro Meets NieR: Automata?

deg - Feb 1

26 by loligoth666 »»
43 minutes ago

» Add "you little bitch" to a video game quote. ( 1 2 3 )

Kajiuran - Oct 20, 2023

140 by loligoth666 »»
45 minutes ago

» Do you guys enjoy fighting games?

Dumb - Feb 11

49 by loligoth666 »»
3 hours ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3508 by loligoth666 »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.