Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (14) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Mar 27, 2015 2:34 PM

Jun 2014
;-; where is the secret 11/10 button. pls
Mar 27, 2015 2:53 PM

Jun 2014
When Decim started to have his orgasming epiphany, I was laughing, it was hilarious, my room was flooded with laughing gas.

Hmm this show had some good episodes, but all in all it was just a good average show, so 6/10

Mar 2015
Well, honestly speaking, I think the chances for a second season are quite low. It seems while DP is quite popular in the rest of the world, in Japan they don't hype it that much.

And what should a second season be about?

Well, I could think of a second season called 'Death Parade: Reborn' or 'Death Parade: Second Chance'. The cast stays the same but the story is set 30 years after 'Death Parade': Decim meets the reincarnated soul of Chiyuki again. Will he loose her again this time?

Or something like this ;D Maybe a fujoshi producer buys the rights of the anime and decides that Chiyuki should return in a male body this time. Hello, New Shounen-Ai show!

Not that this'll ever happen, ya know :D

Jan 2013
Quite a touching story writing in this last episode. This actually made me think how bland this show would be without Chiyuki. Still so many things left hanged, such as the flower guy's inentions.

I'll rate this 8.
Mar 27, 2015 2:59 PM

Apr 2013
This episode's beautiful--everything has come around at this point. All of these emotions were building up, knowing the ending was nigh.

I knew she wasn't going to press it (especially since I knew there was a catch, reminds me of Ginti's judgement for Mayu so much), but her begging Decim to press it... oh God... he finally broke down and it just hurt. But then Chiyuki got in the elevator, and after a giggle over Decim's odd smile (like oh my gosh, that's such a great shot), when the doors were closing and he finally gave a wonderful smile to share with her, I cried. And then a couple of minutes later the OP played right as we see he salvaged her mannequin, dressed it up as her, and sat her in place. And it feels so good to cry.

Yuzuru Tachikawa, Madhouse, I thank you so much for this beautiful series. I love everything about it, and I'm going to miss my first experience with it dearly. I definitely am looking forward to when FUNimation releases this on DVD, it deserves its rightful place in my collection.

silverwalls said:
5Wishes said:

I DIDN'T EVEN NOTICE HOOOOOOOOOOOOLY S HI T MY HEART
He's just like decim after all, except instead of dolls they're those things. what a big tsundere ; ^ ;

HOLY SHIT

brb bawling
Mar 27, 2015 2:59 PM

Jul 2013
I cried, Laughed and I simply loved it.

That's right, My best for this season. :))
Mar 27, 2015 3:00 PM

Jun 2012
Best show of the season imo, but there are things that could have been done better.
Was interesting though, every episode had something to it.

7/10

edit: ED was neat
samesddayMar 27, 2015 3:04 PM
Mar 27, 2015 3:02 PM
Sep 2013
Nice ending, I hope they would make a season 2 expanding more into the world of arbiters instead of just focusing on the judgements like they did this season. We got to learn a bit more this ep but I do want to know more about Nona...or why Ginti did what he did....I just feel like there are unanswered questions.

Aww..decim crying :')

rate= 8.5 or 9/10???
Mar 27, 2015 3:02 PM

Feb 2015
I had such high expectations for this episode... While it did deliver on the emotions (Yep, I cried), I really wish Chiyuki had gotten a different ending.... I was really hoping that something would happen that would mean she could stay in Quindecim.... I suppose that was probably too much to hope for though...
Mar 27, 2015 3:03 PM

Jun 2012
I was fortunate enough to have watched the ova before this series was announced. It did not even come close to disappointing me. 10/10 start to finish.

They left it in a way that will probably get a second season if it gets enough sales.
so heres hoping. Would ;-; every time I see Onna's doll.

Warblegarggarblewargharble
edit:image
ShepardSR2Mar 27, 2015 3:27 PM
Mar 27, 2015 3:10 PM

Jun 2012
Sarcastasaurus said:
I had such high expectations for this episode... While it did deliver on the emotions (Yep, I cried), I really wish Chiyuki had gotten a different ending.... I was really hoping that something would happen that would mean she could stay in Quindecim.... I suppose that was probably too much to hope for though...

Same, but they did say many times throughout the series that a human couldn't stay.
Not sure if they would do this....

but he could "(impossible odds)" see her again the next time around.
Mar 27, 2015 3:10 PM

Mar 2015
Decim's still have memories of Chiyuki right, since they spent time together outside the judgement?
Asking since one time Decim mentioned that he didn't actually remember the story of the mannequins ('cuz temporary storage).

I guess same question goes to Ginti.
Mar 27, 2015 3:12 PM
Jul 2013
For all of its flaws I greatly enjoyed Death Parade. I shed a few tears during the first half and wish that there was more but given the episodic nature of the show and of arbiter's lives in general this was a wonderful ending.

Mar 27, 2015 3:12 PM

Apr 2013
that was overall a great show!!!

although in this ep from the 6th min and onwards you could pretty much see where it was going, I mean, Decim had said over and over that with this "magic stick" he would test the dead and pass judgement. How could she forget it when she opposed it so strongly?

anyways!! great opening and ending too!!!! as someone else stated above it stirred quite the feelings. Awesome animation too.
KoSparrowsMar 27, 2015 4:19 PM
Mar 27, 2015 3:14 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
It was a very awesome touch to see Ginti with his Mayu doll. That was wonderful.
Mar 27, 2015 3:14 PM

Oct 2014
Wavering on above average to good series... so 6-7/10

I really liked the focus on human empathy and compassion, but so many questions left open, which really left me hanging.
Mar 27, 2015 3:15 PM

Nov 2014
Decim's smile killed me
Mar 27, 2015 3:18 PM

Mar 2015
Giving it 7/10, it's good but nothing too special. As someone said before the writing was the biggest issue...Also I think it's a really bad decision not explaining why Nona has feelings since it's pretty much a key to the plot, after all her feelings led her to giving Decim feelings. Also no one ever bothered explaining what the Oculus guy does right? Like, he's close to God, alright, what more?

I keep my opinion that this show would've been a lot better if Madhouse didn't waste that many episodes with just Decim judging random people. I can think of better ways to show his character development. I disliked this finale.
Mar 27, 2015 3:20 PM

Apr 2014
6/10
Will miss the opening.
A stupid thread deserves a stupid answer!
Mar 27, 2015 3:27 PM

Apr 2007
Decim's smile is just as beautiful as Chiyuki's. Decent ending, but
LucasRTS said:
I'm kinda disappointed about Death Parade. The designs are great with very good art, good premise and ideas and a fairly high budget, but it was poorly written and I was kinda overhyping it once it aired.

The episodic characters have a well thought out and a effective and cool back story with details that makes them interesting, but the main ones are 1 dimensional.
I agree with this. It was hard to care about the main character's story at times, especially Ginti's side, with how little there was to the characters themselves, again: especially Ginti. Not to mention they couldn't properly shift the focus between the different sides to the story without tossing all except one to the side for a long period of time where I at least lost interest. The stuff with Nona was probably the most consistent, with Chiyuki's stuff handled decently towards the end.

Oh welp it was still fun at some parts.
Mar 27, 2015 3:30 PM

Jun 2014
AOTS for sure. 9/10.
Mar 27, 2015 3:45 PM
Jul 2018
I really loved the scene where Chiyuki want to talk with her mom and need to press the button to sacrifice someone' life in order to live.
Mar 27, 2015 3:49 PM

Jun 2014
I think the ending was absolutely BRILLIANT! I cried so much in this episode and felt all the emotions of the past episodes when they showed the flashbacks.

Since this is an original anime, who knows if will get another season or if we will ever see these characters again, but I for one would love to see more of Death Parade in the future!

Overall score 10/10!
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Mar 27, 2015 4:04 PM

Oct 2014
Surprisingly great ending for a good show. 9/10.
Mar 27, 2015 4:16 PM

Dec 2014
You know what, I won't be surprised if the series is actually written by Nona given how much it relied on contrived, awkward dramas just to make you feel something for some of the generic characters with generic background and motivation. It's not to say it can't be something decent, after all a good writer can tell a good story even with the most simplistic elements, but when you spend only two episodes dealing with Nona's arc that seems like so important but ended up with nothing and Onna gone through a forceful transformation (in the last episode she just said "it is wrong for people trying to understand each other", and now just one episode later she's like "Oh my god turns out people may understand each other", mouthpiece much?), compare to the episodic nature of the first half, it's hard not to feel you are just adding that to a story that wasn't planned out that way only because you have to lengthen it to meet the 12 episodes requirement. And all the poor exposition and jumping all over the place with the story just reinforce the idea that the creator may still not have a consolidated idea of what kind of story he wants to tell, thus exposing his immaturity in every aspects.

"While you do not know life, how can you know about death?" It is what I'm gonna say if the show ends on a random philosophical debate. But seems like the creator just wants to tell a simple story so it ceases to be naive but underwhelming, well then it is, Hell girl, you've got a new partner. Shigofumi, you'll have to wait. Unquestionable 5/10.
Mar 27, 2015 4:16 PM
Oct 2014
And there was Decim's character development, nice!
Mar 27, 2015 4:17 PM
Jan 2015
7/10
good anime/
Mar 27, 2015 4:22 PM

Jun 2012
Death Parade is definitely the best anime this season. Great story, characters... MUSIC! Very nice ending too. A lot of anime recently haven't had endings that have satisfied me enough.

(Decim's smile :3)

I know some people at the start thought Death Parade was just going to be an episodic series and would quickly become boring but it turned out not to be! I actually enjoyed the early episodes quite a lot though, but these last episodes have been my favourites.

9/10 I'll probably add it to my recommendation list.
dkjijiMar 27, 2015 4:26 PM
N☆ 

Mar 27, 2015 4:23 PM

Apr 2013
Loved this show! I think they wrapped it up in the best way possible too, given its twelve episode length.

Bravo, Madhouse.
Powerful eyebrows.
Mar 27, 2015 4:32 PM

Mar 2014
Gr8 smile Decim

Definitely one of my favourite anime this season. Despite having some annoying flaws and MUH MUCH DRAMA moments the plot remained consisted through the whole show and it was nicely tied together. Strong 7/10
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Mar 27, 2015 4:35 PM

Jun 2008
I loved it <3 Chiyuki would have chose to click the button if she didnt attend all those judgements , nothing is wasted you get one chance one life and nothing else , their smiles and goodbye was nice in the end and him having a doll of her besides him made me smile , great anime indeed.
Mar 27, 2015 4:39 PM

Apr 2013
Touching ending. More episodes would have been better to give a deeper look into the series' main characters.
Mar 27, 2015 4:40 PM

Jul 2012
Really cool opening song. The show was... not that good. The ova had great atmosphere and this series lost it when they tried to explain all of it. And as usuall it don't make sense and is really stupid. Sending people to void after judging them by having them play a game....
Mar 27, 2015 4:44 PM

Jun 2014
Damn it, I cried ;-;

Excellent finish to the series. Chiyuki's good-bye was sad, but I did love to see Decim cry and smile.

9/10, I loved this series.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 27, 2015 4:48 PM

Dec 2010
I prefer Death Billiards. This show was great in the beginning because it stuck to that.Then, Chiyuki began to corrupt Decim and show begen to taper off as a result.

This is a signature, You are a reader of this signature reading that the signature is telling you that you are a person reading the signature telling you that the person who made this signature wanted you to know that you read that this signature is being read by the person who is reading the signature telling them all about the signature being read by you
Mar 27, 2015 4:50 PM
Jun 2014
Terrible pacing, management of time, edge pandering, lack of direction, management of plot points, and forgettable characters. 4/10 is a generous score.
Ep 3 was nice.
Mar 27, 2015 4:52 PM

Jul 2014
That was good but it felt like it was lacking something but I can't quite put my finger on it. Regardless, it was still a nice watch 8/10
Mar 27, 2015 4:58 PM

Apr 2008
I didn't expect to get emotional watching this anime, but wow. I'd say this series finished pretty strongly.

Mar 27, 2015 5:04 PM

Feb 2014
Hmmm. Definitely one of the strongest episodes in the series but nevertheless suffered the same problems as the preceding episodes. I guess it's not helped by the fact I was one of those people hyping this since I loved Death Billiard so much... Anyway, my summary for Death Parade:

Good:

- OST: absolutely amazing. It's perfect.
- Art: I fell in love with the style. Lovely faces. I really liked the long philtrums and the clean shading. The backgrounds are stunning too.
- Animation: Smooth and fluid and was more than sufficient to convey a full range of emotions at all magnitudes. Very nicely done. Wasted on what they chose to animate though...
- Premise: The premise itself is very interesting, and the themes explored are very good choices. It's just they did a bad job of it.
- VA: Great! Especially the one off characters. Tone was consistent and added substance, though not quite enough to make up for the bad characterisation and writing in regards to the regular cast.

Bad:

- Characters: I look around and all I see is wasted potential. So much wasted potential. The regular characters are either poorly explored or otherwise stretched far too thin. The visitors on the other hand are handled brilliantly.
- Plot: Utter mess. What is this shit? No. Actual trainwreck from the second episode out.
- Mythology: I guess this ties in with the plot and execution... it's something that didn't need to be explored. It was utterly unnecessary and took away from the emotional impact. One dimensional and not at all interesting.
- Execution: Piss poor. Killed the theme. It came off hugely patronising. The repeating, the unnecessary explanations, the over-stretched characters, and the incongruous mix of taking itself too seriously as something to prompt viewers to think and force feeding the viewers like we're not capable of lateral thinking just don't go very well together.

Overall:

It's ironic how in the end the show ended up being rather hollow like the mannequins. They would have done much better with a episodic show with just Decim, Chiyuki, Nona, and maybe odd appearances from the other workers, and focused on the human stories. The whole Chiyuki arc is a nice touch but the obvious hinting and foreshadowing ruined it for me. It had the potential to be the next Mushishi but I guess in an attempt to pull in a wider audience they opted for... whatever this is...

I gave this 7/10. At least 2 of those 7 points are for the great art and music. Death Billiard on the other hand deserves every point of the 10/10 I gave it.
Mar 27, 2015 5:05 PM

Feb 2014
LucasRTS said:
I'll just reiterate what I said before:

I'm kinda disappointed about Death Parade. The designs are great with very good art, good premise and ideas and a fairly high budget, but it was poorly written and I was kinda overhyping it once it aired.

The episodic characters have a well thought out and a effective and cool back story with details that makes them interesting, but the main ones are 1 dimensional. I will mention the poor writing again; the main characters that are supposed to be or at least try to be emotionless, show a good amount of emotion every time, while the principal character of the anime that is supposed to HAVE emotions is complete emotionless.

The art and the sound (especially the awesome opening) are very good overall, same with the backgrounds, the character faces are very well done (best of this season so far). Great effects, color and lightining, good voices (better than your average ones)

Veredict: 5.75/10 (again I will say: Poorly written)
I recommend the movie Death Billiards instead
It's almost a decent show but very overrated here, in absolutely no way this deserves more than a 7
One of the Madhouse weaker works

This. Literally everything in this post.
Mar 27, 2015 5:06 PM

Feb 2012
I wish the show just focused on the judgements.. the whole emotions with arbiters thing wasn't really that interesting.

Aug 2012
Unsatisfying final to be honest, left me with a lot of questions... Well, I expected the story Chavvot to have a deeper background in the first place, I mean, it was no more than a childhood favorite of the girl? I thought it was related to Decim or someone else from that world because Nona was reading it and it was the background picture of that game-selecting machine.

And what's so special about Onna? what made Decim burst into tears so much? I mean, yea, he has feelings of course, but Onna's story does not seem more dramatic than that of many other people judged by him previously. Why was he indifferent all this time? why couldn't he judge Onna at first?

I expected some action, that old guy vs. Decim and Nona maybe. Decim saves Onna and quits being an arbiter, gains a life maybe. I mean it can sound stupid but well I'm trying to give it a shot, it was like the final of Another which left us with questions then everything was explained with an OVA so it might get an OVA as well.

I gave it 9 overall but at this topic I gave the final episode 1 because it sucks as hell. Nice drama yea but didn't meet my expectations.
AlturiablueMar 27, 2015 6:02 PM

Dec 2012
Nice way to end the show.
Decim and Chiyuki spending their last moments together.
Decim experiencing more human emotions. He's crying.
Farewell Chiyuki.
Lol at Decim trying to smile.
Well its back to judgement of people again.
Great to have the OP song at the end.
Overall 9/10 for me.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Mar 27, 2015 5:09 PM
Mar 2014
This episode made me tear abit , awsome ep lovd it 10/10
Mar 27, 2015 5:10 PM

Sep 2012
Nice ending. It was funny/sad to see Decim handle emotions and sad to see Chiyuki go. AOTS
Mar 27, 2015 5:12 PM

Feb 2014
Those smiles.... this episode was amazing.

IMO the best show of the season 10/10.
Mar 27, 2015 5:14 PM

Mar 2015
And what's so special about Onna? what made Decim burst into tears so much? I mean, yea, he has feelings of course, but Onna's story does not seem more dramatic than that of many other people judged by him previously. Why was he indifferent all this time? why couldn't he judge Onna at first?

Isn't that because she's specially selfless? We didn't see a visitor that was nearly as selfless as she was, guess it made him respect her more. Maybe he thought that she really didn't deserve any of the suffering she had been through and all that. And he couldn't answer her first because she could remember that she was dead, so he couldn't make her play any games...
BMDMar 27, 2015 5:20 PM
Mar 27, 2015 5:20 PM

Aug 2012
BMD said:

Isn't that because she's specially selfless? We didn't see a visitor that was nearly as selfless as she was, guess it made him respect her more. Maybe he thought that she really didn't deserve any of the suffering she had been through and all that.

She was shouting for Decim to press the button, which means she gave in eventually. I believe there were equally, if not more, heroic and "selfless" people who were judged easily, like the woman who saved her husband lying about cheating.
Mar 27, 2015 5:20 PM

Jan 2013
I was first hesitant when I heard Death Billiards would be getting a TV series but that has been put away easily. The beginning of the show was strong and very similar to the themes in the OVA. The middle few episodes did lose a little luster but did end up giving Decim some different experiences (at least vicariously) regarding humans. Nice and touching finale. They kind of set it up to make a season 2 possible and I would be all for that. Can't wait for this OST to come out.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Mar 27, 2015 5:26 PM

Mar 2014
Bravo, that was great.
Pages (14) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2015

838 by sxrpente »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2015

672 by NikoFool »»
Apr 2, 10:50 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 23, 2015

521 by Seraschi »»
Apr 1, 2:56 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2015

596 by oDaw1 »»
Mar 25, 12:06 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2015

674 by Listone »»
Mar 24, 6:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.