Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 26, 2015 5:42 PM

Mar 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This was great!
This might be my favorite out of any City Hunter story yet. Each scene flowed nicely into the next and the action was presented in such great detail.
There's some really memorable scenes, and it even tends to hold up on it's own as a standalone OVA.

Despite being well-made, It's pretty basic, though... so I give it an 8 out of 10.
::End of Transmission::

Jul 5, 2016 5:18 AM

Apr 2011
Best ova out of the bunch, really loved the action, excellent jokes, everyone was perfectly in character for a pre-'91 series. [loved to see Umibozu get in on the action for a majority of the running time.]

Kaori was cute and weird [as usual], Miki was badass, Ryo was badass [and in the end, cared about Kaori more then mokkori, as he should.]

The animation was great, the ost was up to snuff. Really really enjoyed this one.

9/10
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.
Apr 30, 2017 2:05 PM
Aug 2014
Felt like I missed the firs 15-30 minutes or so with how fast the action got underway.
Overall I thought there was way too much action which meant a lot less time to develop the villains as well as not enough Kaori and Saeba being Saeba.
Jan 4, 2018 2:21 AM

Jul 2010
Man this OVA was awesome, perfect mix of 90s action and comedy in it and my favorite stand-alone story so far. Good to see Umibozu kicking ass too.
Feb 7, 2019 12:43 PM

Sep 2011
This one was entertaining from the beginning to the end, and I'm surprised. Sure, Ryou was obnoxious at first, but I guess that I can't wait much more from him. But Umibozu had a lot of screen time, the action scenes were good, and though Miki didn't do much, she at least wasn't completely passive like poor Kaori. Oh, and I was sad that Saeko was only watching and believing in Umibozu and Ryou, but well, she pulled the strings from the shadows as usual. lol Ryou's help was a happy accident this time though.
May 3, 2019 5:11 AM

Oct 2012
Much more interesting than the previous 1 million dollar
But there's nothing at all, really
The main guy died without any clear background story at all
The Luna girl don't have any either, she doesn't look evil but looks conflicted
Like she doesn't even wanna be there if not for her father

Also, Saeko is sly woman as always :P
Isn't that much more easier tactic for Ryou instead of Umibozu?
"Signature removed"
Jun 15, 2019 10:05 AM

Aug 2012
I liked this quite abit. It was certainly action focused with much of the normal City Hunter story buildup thrown out in favour of that non stop action. This weirdly reminded me of the Lupin TV Specials in a way.
Feb 20, 2020 3:43 PM

Nov 2016
Wow, the first time I saw someone giving Umibozu a run for his money.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 23, 2021 5:00 AM
Mar 2021
"LUNCH CODE" - Missile System Computer

God I love Umibozu.

Now what an OVA! Really fast paced, action-filled, rather funny. The plot was the usual late cold war era panic plot, with the villains pretty much corresponding to the western perception of (most likely) Noriega's Panama, a stereotypical soviet officer and a standard world-ending plot. Nothing special there. However, it was indeed rather exciting and the side plot of hungry Ryo was silly yet amusing.

The soundtrack introduced a bunch of tracks I haven't heard before in City Hunter 1 or 2, but were just as good as the amazing yet slightly repetitive soundtracks of these two shows. The art-style was just as good as the rest of City Hunter.

Overall, a very silly City Hunter story heavily inspired by 1980s Hollywood action movies, yet very enjoyable to watch.

9/10
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.