Forum Settings
Forums
Mar 24, 2015 1:41 PM

In case you've been sleeping under a rock for the past week or dis rap music simply because it is rap, you'd be aware that Kendrick Lamar has released his new album "To Pimp a Butterfly" to a godly level of(well deserved) acclaim.

On Metacritic, an average of well known critics, the album currently has a score of a 97 and according to Wikipedia:

"... the album has surpassed OutKast's Stankonia (95/100) as the highest-rated rap album on the entire website and is tied for 2nd all-time amongst all albums (tied-1st amongst all studio albums on the site)."

Not that the opinions of critics mean anything but that is a pretty insane achievement and is truly deserved.

Have you heard this album? Thoughts?

To those who haven't heard the album:

Why not? Even for those who aren't fans of rap I suggest listening to this masterpiece. From a production standpoint, the album is closer to funk/soul/jazz and the album is conceptually and lyrically one of the finest you'll ever hear with Kendrick speaking on a range of issues both societal and personal. It's not an album for rap fans, but for music fans and truly makes you think and feel.

Modified by TheArchangels, Mar 24, 2015 1:45 PM
Immahnoob said:
They say Jesus walked on water.
People are made out of 79% water.
I can walk on people.
So I am 79% Jesus.
Sourire said:
I once fucked an apple pie.

Mar 24, 2015 2:51 PM
My brother exhorted me to listen to the album and to put it mildly, it's a classic. I'm not gassing it, but I haven't loved a rap album this much since Charles Hamilton's Pink Lavalamp

Mar 24, 2015 2:53 PM

I find it hard to motivate myself to listen to an album called To pimp a butterfly lol.

Mar 24, 2015 2:54 PM

TheArchangels said:
Have you heard this album?
No, not interested at all and hadn't really heard of it until now.

Mar 24, 2015 2:54 PM

its an overrated album

its good for the first 5 tracks then loses its novelty for being to repetitive. im mad this isnt as good as section 80 but def better than gkmc

Mar 24, 2015 3:07 PM

didnt find it special or good after 1 hearing and not really motivated to go at it again but who knows
lots of music -

Mar 24, 2015 3:21 PM

great album but the hype and fanboys (also on mal) kill the joy of it

Mar 24, 2015 3:33 PM

It's a masterpiece, I didn't think that Kendrick would be able to top GKMC, but he did, The concept, the rapping and the production are on point. I haven't given a rap album a 10/10 since 2010 and MBDTF.

Mar 24, 2015 5:20 PM

I swear I'm going to go apeshit if he loses best rap album again just because some dude makes a song about gay people.

Mar 24, 2015 6:21 PM

I haven't listened to it enough, but it's better than GKMC and I loved GKMC.

Mar 25, 2015 6:43 AM

F0XFIRE said:
I swear I'm going to go apeshit if he loses best rap album again just because some dude makes a song about gay people.

just wait for Drake to walk away with it, Grammy Awards are just one big fraud

Mar 25, 2015 7:01 AM

Promethazine said:
F0XFIRE said:

just wait for Drake to walk away with it, Grammy Awards are just one big fraud

lmao who even watches the grammy's nowadays? Straight up trash

Mar 25, 2015 7:23 AM

Pretty damn tight to say the least,The Blacker The Berry is obviously the best track hands down.

I do feel like the overall production (beats,hooks...) on most of the album aren't really on par with his lyrical ability and sometimes drag the songs down a bit.

Mar 25, 2015 8:57 AM

Section.80 > Mad City > To Pimp a Butterfly.

Don't get me wrong, they're all good albums but Section.80 just takes the cake for me

Mar 25, 2015 1:54 PM

incisorr said:
didnt find it special or good after 1 hearing and not really motivated to go at it again but who knows

This album requires multiple hearings and rewards those who re-listen to it. It's lyrically and conceptually dense so you won't understand everything on your first run through.

Waifu_Strangler said:
I find it hard to motivate myself to listen to an album called To pimp a butterfly lol.

I highly suggest you broaden your horizon. The title is play on "To Kill a Mockingbird" and is explained through the album. Give it a listen, you may be surprised.
Immahnoob said:
They say Jesus walked on water.
People are made out of 79% water.
I can walk on people.
So I am 79% Jesus.
Sourire said:
I once fucked an apple pie.

Mar 25, 2015 3:19 PM

TheArchangels said:
incisorr said:

This album requires multiple hearings and rewards those who re-listen to it. It's lyrically and conceptually dense so you won't understand everything on your first run through.

Waifu_Strangler said:

I highly suggest you broaden your horizon. The title is play on "To Kill a Mockingbird" and is explained through the album. Give it a listen, you may be surprised.

Even as a play on words of a classic book title it still sounds silly maybe I'll give it a listen but I don't really expect too much maturity and deep lyrics from a modern day rap album, but I know I have to listen before I can form a real opinion.

Mar 25, 2015 8:57 PM
I liked Earl's new album more.

Mar 26, 2015 2:16 AM

Hopefully Macklemore drops another classic so we can all get mad again.

OT: TPAB was good tbh.

Mar 29, 2015 12:02 AM

I don't know when was the last time any album floored me as much as this one

I wasn't even a fan of Gkmc and I thought Sec.80 was alright, and based on the singles I was pretty convinced this album wasn't going to be anything to my taste so I wasn't planning on getting it so I only did it do to curiosity

I have no idea how he managed to go from "he's good technically but doesn't appeal to me" to... my life, with one album

Mar 29, 2015 12:07 AM

I haven't given it a proper listen yet but I found m.A.A.d City and Section 80 to be quite inspirational for a good week or two.

Will listen to it tonight.
the progeny of a dropped colony

Mar 29, 2015 7:58 PM

Loved the album and I actually checked it out cause I heard people talking about how good it is.

The part that really made me like the album are people he collaborated with who are spectacular and well known in their own respective genres and they did a wonderful job with their contributions on the album along with Kendrick himself with his lyrics and the delivery of the lyrics he had on the album.

My personal favorite atm is "For Free?" Mostly cause of the arrangement done by the musicians on that track especially the piano player who I believe is Robert Glasper
Modified by penguindrum264, Mar 29, 2015 8:07 PM

Mar 29, 2015 10:09 PM

The only reason I can see for anybody not getting behind this album is because they don't mess with it sonically. Content-wise, I don't see how anyone can not support Kendrick and the message he's putting out on this album.

It's not just about race, it's about self-acceptance, loving yourself and everybody else. If you're not feeling the funk/jazz-influenced production that's fine but you can't say that this is not a very important album. No one else is going near the issues that Kendrick is addressing.

I'm still shocked by how many people are missing the point. Listen to what the man is saying, god damn.

Mar 30, 2015 1:01 AM

Wasn't something I find interesting/didn't like. I can hear the influences in the album, it sounds similar to things I listened to in the 90s but with this decade's style in its undertones.

Wouldn't say it is a classic but maybe others feel it is because of how alike most songs are now it does stand out. Not bad but something that I feel is overhyped.

Mar 30, 2015 7:07 AM

Illmatic is better
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

Apr 2, 2015 3:50 AM

It's on the way to be a classic album,he really out did himself with this one.

Apr 6, 2015 5:41 AM

It's a good album, one that requires multiple listenings, it gets better every time as you start to truly understand and appreciate the production, lyrics, flow and very mellow vocal delivery.

Kendrick is a genius.
Where the fuck did Monday go?

Apr 6, 2015 5:45 AM

TheAbstract said:

I agree with this, I'm not saying people aren't allowed to praise it, but all over YouTube and various forums there's people that will call others trash or say they have no taste, just because in their personal opinion it's not for them, as much as a brilliant artist Kendrick is, his fans have got a lot of growing up to do. I don't understand how immature they be, whilst appreciating such a mature album like this.

Apr 6, 2015 6:30 AM

DarkStarr96 said:
TheAbstract said:

I agree with this, I'm not saying people aren't allowed to praise it, but all over YouTube and various forums there's people that will call others trash or say they have no taste, just because in their personal opinion it's not for them, as much as a brilliant artist Kendrick is, his fans have got a lot of growing up to do. I don't understand how immature they be, whilst appreciating such a mature album like this.
There's no medium to be honest. There's gonna be a huge amount praise and fanboys will be all over the place,but there's always a counter measure that's to trash TPAB and Kendrick,because of all the attention he's getting.Plus I believe that he set the bar with GKMC high and the comparison between those tςo albums are frequently and when different opinions collide on the internet,oh well..

I agree with the last part,I'm pretty sure most of them are so hyped about this album that they miss what this album has to offer.

Apr 6, 2015 6:32 AM

The_ClownPrince said:
DarkStarr96 said:

There's no medium to be honest. There's gonna be a huge amount praise and fanboys will be all over the place,but there's always a counter measure that's to trash TPAB and Kendrick,because of all the attention he's getting.Plus I believe that he set the bar with GKMC high and the comparison between those tςo albums are frequently and when different opinions collide on the internet,oh well..

I agree with the last part,I'm pretty sure most of them are so hyped about this album that they miss what this album has to offer.

Good points.

3 amazing albums in a row! Now to see if Run The Jewels can also pull of 3 amazing albums in 3 years..

Apr 6, 2015 3:00 PM

DarkStarr96 said:
The_ClownPrince said:

Good points.

3 amazing albums in a row! Now to see if Run The Jewels can also pull of 3 amazing albums in 3 years..

easily, Meow the Jewels is still a thing

Apr 7, 2015 3:08 AM

I'm not too worried about RTJ,they will pull it off.