Forum Settings
Forums

Male Protagonist Struggles to Fit In w/ Super Powers (Romance/Gohan x Videl)

New
Mar 22, 2015 3:16 PM

Dec 2009
I don't know about you guys but I really love the arc of Gohan going to high school in DBZ, and how he tries to fit in.
The greater details though are the great characters, especially Gohan and Videl, Videl being an amazing girl for being strong and saving people while having her interesting unique personality. While Gohan is an awesome clumsy very kind hearted person who can be badass when he wants to.

And if you don't know any, at the very least. A male protagonist trying to fit in with super powers in a normal universe. Not a super powers universe, is what I mean. Basically without romance if you can't find one that's main course is romance.
waalex11Mar 22, 2015 3:34 PM
Mar 22, 2015 4:13 PM

Jun 2014
Ao no Exorcist
Busou REnkin
Mar 22, 2015 4:24 PM

Dec 2009
tankker5 said:
Ao no Exorcist
Busou REnkin
Great recs, thanks. Completed Ao No Exorcist. Busou Renkin could be good.
Mar 22, 2015 5:20 PM

Dec 2014
Bleach?
Mar 22, 2015 5:22 PM

Dec 2009
JustAnEmoBoi said:
Bleach?
Lol, there's like little to no romance on Bleach, and its shounen takes over the seinen/slice of life that I want as a rec right now. If you want, I could be more specific of what I don't want and what exactly I'm looking for in detail.
Mar 22, 2015 7:28 PM

Dec 2009
Anyone else?
Mar 22, 2015 7:42 PM
Feb 2014
waalex11 said:
Anyone else?

Maybe, would you be able to say some more detail
Mar 22, 2015 8:07 PM

Dec 2009
Grimsonar said:
waalex11 said:
Anyone else?

Maybe, would you be able to say some more detail
With pleasure!
I don't know if all of you are familiar with Dragon Ball Z or its character Gohan and Videl. Which would make my explanation much clearer to what I like of them as characters, because they do have a great bond for a romance which I kind of want, because thats what motivated me to want such a recommendation in the first place.

Genre: Romance. When I say romance, I really mean, romance. I want the main story and genre to be ...ROMANCE. "I want the story to be focused on romance." No quests, no shounen, no adventures. Because I really want ... a ... sort of casual realistic story. Meaning, I don't want the story to get out of a normal life. (I.e. setting out to an adventure or entering a new world, or meeting new monsters or hidden monsters they didn't know existed, etc.) You see the pattern right?One example could be "The Incredibles" that superhero american 3d cgi animation movie. Or the manga, Wolf Guy.

Characters: I don't want to limit my choices by being too specific for character, but I can at least tell you what I don't want. And thats a lot of the classic cliche characters/anime. I don't want something kiddish, I don't mind comedy if it isn't too immature like the old classics, I don't want your typical perverted/misunderstood teenage boy male protagonist, or hard-to-love violent classic tsundere. Or love triangles, so no shoujo. Some are great but they all have your cliches that got old and annoying for me.

Story: [size=88]If I could describe what I would LOVE in the story for genres, besides obviously wanting romance. I would SHOUNEN. Or psychological. Basically a mature story if you get what I mean. Those in depth unique mangas with great stories and their mature feeling.
... What I love about shounen and the psychological genre, is how they really get focused, and inside the main character. Giving you his feelings, his thoughts, his fears, etc. And the narration really shows you a human-being, someone with struggle in life. --And as a main character with super powers. I want that.

I want him to have some sort of struggle if not extreme struggle of fitting in, either it be as an adult, or probably in high school. With the heroine, whatever interesting way they meet up. But she comes to learn about him and understand him, you know.

... For character. Like I said, no typical teenage perverted guy or classic violent tsundere. But they could have their own quirks, I'm not saying I decline that because characters are unique anyways, and if they're lovable thats always better. Even better is if you can relate to them or if they resemble you, yourself.
So ... surprise me. Realistic human-beings and/or anime characters, but ... nothing generally childish.
Guess thats it.
Mar 22, 2015 8:36 PM

Feb 2015
Have you thought about watching gundam seed? Yes its a mecha anime but there is a TON of romance, hell he even has sex with one of the girls.
Best Couple of All Time

Kamille x Four (Zeta Gundam)
Mar 22, 2015 9:41 PM

Dec 2014
waalex11 said:
JustAnEmoBoi said:
Bleach?
Lol, there's like little to no romance on Bleach, and its shounen takes over the seinen/slice of life that I want as a rec right now. If you want, I could be more specific of what I don't want and what exactly I'm looking for in detail.

Ah yep yep yep. Exactly what you need: Shakugan No Shana.
Mar 22, 2015 10:21 PM

Dec 2009
JustAnEmoBoi said:
waalex11 said:

I've put it on hold a while ago. Its rather slow paced to my liking but I don't hate it. Don't remember much about it though, it's ok for now in the point I'm in.
Mar 23, 2015 12:16 AM

Dec 2014
waalex11 said:
JustAnEmoBoi said:

I've put it on hold a while ago. Its rather slow paced to my liking but I don't hate it. Don't remember much about it though, it's ok for now in the point I'm in.

Agreed. It was slow but had me hooked! I actually marathon'd it.

I got some more actually.

Code Geass - both seasons
Maybe Tokyo Ravens?
If you can tell me ALL that you want I could help you allot better.
Mar 24, 2015 9:22 AM

Dec 2009
JustAnEmoBoi said:
waalex11 said:

Agreed. It was slow but had me hooked! I actually marathon'd it.

I got some more actually.

Code Geass - both seasons
Maybe Tokyo Ravens?
If you can tell me ALL that you want I could help you allot better.
Code Geass, completed. Wouldn't exactly consider it as what I'd want but I get where your coming from.
Tokyo Ravens looks to have the quest/adventure/harem/etc. vibe that I don't want.

And for what I want, pretty much what I posed on post #8
Mar 26, 2015 3:38 PM

Dec 2009
... Any better recs that fit my wants?
Mar 26, 2015 3:47 PM

Dec 2014
waalex11 said:
... Any better recs that fit my wants?

Hard to put it tbh :/ I am searching for the same thing as you.
But still can't find anything. :/
So ill tell you if I find anything! :)
Mar 26, 2015 4:17 PM

Jul 2013
Chrome Shelled Regios I think fits what you're looking for a little bit, but it ends on a cliffhanger.

Unfortunately, what you want isn't exactly made a lot. It's usually a guy that has a past that tries to fit in and falls in love with a girl, or something to that effect. If you want something like that, I can try and see if I remember any.
Eminem meets Clannad
Just when you thought Clannad's OST was as sad as it could get ;_;

If you seen School Days, rewatch the ending while listening to A Little of Piece of Heaven by A7X. I guarantee laughs.
Mar 26, 2015 4:20 PM

Mar 2012
Maybe you could try with Chrno Crusade
Mar 27, 2015 12:48 AM
Jun 2014
First anime that comes to mind is kotoura-san
Not sure if this is what you are searching for
Apr 4, 2015 10:44 PM

Dec 2009
Hm..
Apr 5, 2015 12:51 AM

Dec 2014
The Familiar Of Zero or Clannad? O.O
Apr 5, 2015 7:15 AM
Mar 2015
this a very rare genre, I +1 shakugan no shana
Apr 5, 2015 7:43 AM
Mar 2013
How about katekyo hitman reborn?
Apr 5, 2015 7:52 AM

Feb 2015
xxATxx said:
How about katekyo hitman reborn?

Good Series, but the romance falls way short.
Apr 5, 2015 9:07 AM

Aug 2014
inferno cop

More topics from this board

» Non-hentai anime with traumatizing rape?

stanklem28 - Feb 7, 2014

40 by Omega90 »»
2 hours ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone sci-fi + fantasy?

Donkunsan - Yesterday

26 by PostMahouShoujo »»
2 hours ago

» new season, need recommendations

silversaint - Yesterday

6 by DMind »»
Today, 2:05 AM

» Looking for any recommendations really

TabonyBoy - Apr 16

12 by PostMahouShoujo »»
Today, 1:02 AM

» Grim series for tonight

LoveYourEyes - Apr 1

15 by r3v3l3v3l »»
Yesterday, 10:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.