Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Did Mayu make the right choice?
Mar 21, 2015 11:02 AM
Jan 2015
I have seen a lot of people commenting on Mayu's choice to sacrifice a stranger to save Harada's soul. Honestly I commend her for her choice. ANYBODY would choose the life of a loved one over a complete stranger.
Still I don't really think Ginti is an awful person for testing Mayu this way. If you really think about it, Ginti essentially asked whether Mayu wanted to join Harada in the void or if Mayu wanted to move on and be reincarnated by herself. Mayu simply choose to be with the one she loved forever even if it meant spending eternity in the void. I mean it's not like her life had any meaning without Harada.
Mar 21, 2015 8:40 PM

Nov 2014
1. Harada was also a complete stranger. Just because some fool girl is obsessed with Justin Bieber doesn't mean she knows him.

2. Once a person is reincarnated they lose the memories of their previous incarnations. It would not have mattered what happened to anyone from her previous life. This is a completely flawed argument.
Quality Queen.
Mar 21, 2015 9:52 PM

Jul 2013
RAWRfizzz said:
1. Harada was also a complete stranger.

By the time she was faced with the decision she had already gone through a traumatic experience with him and was the only other human she could talk to. He also tried to save her life and had established a connection with her by the end of episode 6.

Harada totally deserved the void. No matter how likeable he was in the end, he did try to kill Mayu to save himself and also manipulated people throughout his entire life.

Mayu is morally ambiguous at best - there's no cookie cutter "right" or "wrong" for her. As far as she knew, Harada was the guy she idolized and the guy who tried to save her life. Like I said before, anyone would have picked that over a stranger (and yes, she couldn't even abstain because in the situation Ginti gave her it was either save Harada or let Harada get sent to the void). Casting someone into the void is still a bad decision but either way Mayu is not clearly in the right or clearly in the wrong.

Like I said in the other thread, Ginti shuns human emotions. His decisions contrast with Decim's, who is realizing that understanding them is a vital part of passing judgment. Back in the episode with the two murderers, Decim cast them both into the void even though the one protecting his sister was shown to be an overall good person who had been pushed to the breaking point. The whole point of Chiyuki's lecture is to remind him that humans are more simple and make rash decisions for the ones they love. Mayu was also a good, well-intentioned person who made a rash decision to protect Harada. They may not have been as close as brother and sister but they were all each other had and in the end they did care for one another. If you agree with Decim's judgment there then I can understand people's reasoning and agree to disagree. I personally think Mayu and Shimada deserved reincarnation.
Mar 21, 2015 10:34 PM

Oct 2011
Chanaynay said:
RAWRfizzz said:
1. Harada was also a complete stranger.

By the time she was faced with the decision she had already gone through a traumatic experience with him and was the only other human she could talk to. He also tried to save her life and had established a connection with her by the end of episode 6.

Harada totally deserved the void. No matter how likeable he was in the end, he did try to kill Mayu to save himself and also manipulated people throughout his entire life.

Mayu is morally ambiguous at best - there's no cookie cutter "right" or "wrong" for her. As far as she knew, Harada was the guy she idolized and the guy who tried to save her life. Like I said before, anyone would have picked that over a stranger (and yes, she couldn't even abstain because in the situation Ginti gave her it was either save Harada or let Harada get sent to the void). Casting someone into the void is still a bad decision but either way Mayu is not clearly in the right or clearly in the wrong.

Like I said in the other thread, Ginti shuns human emotions. His decisions contrast with Decim's, who is realizing that understanding them is a vital part of passing judgment. Back in the episode with the two murderers, Decim cast them both into the void even though the one protecting his sister was shown to be an overall good person who had been pushed to the breaking point. The whole point of Chiyuki's lecture is to remind him that humans are more simple and make rash decisions for the ones they love. Mayu was also a good, well-intentioned person who made a rash decision to protect Harada. They may not have been as close as brother and sister but they were all each other had and in the end they did care for one another. If you agree with Decim's judgment there then I can understand people's reasoning and agree to disagree. I personally think Mayu and Shimada deserved reincarnation.

Traumatic experience? What? She pissed on herself, cried in embarrassment and then had Harada hit on her. She didn't seem traumatized when she was arguing with Ginti and he threw her in that room. You are overhyping her emotions.

Mayu sacrificed a person who she didn't bother to get the information background from. As I said for the millionth and tenth time, she could have pushed Ginti for more information but didn't. Ginti even said "push this button, when you are ready." There was no gun to her head and no time limit, so there was no excuse.

What do you mean she wasn't in the right or the wrong? Ginti told her to make a decision and she made a decision for the wrong reason. If she really asked Ginti who that person was and found out it was Light Yagami and Ginti gave a vast listing of all the crimes Light Yagami did, then she is reincarnated. There is no if and or buts about this. Ginti was testing her because he was neutral about her and she failed the test in spectacular fashion.

Shimada deserved void. He killed two people and then induced untold suffering to Tatsumi. Even if Tatsumi pushed him towards the action, he should have resisted. Hell he even had Chiyuki holding him back and giving him all the cards on the table about the situation......and he still went all the way. He deserved void, as much as Harada.
GovMar 21, 2015 10:38 PM
Mar 21, 2015 11:02 PM

Jul 2013
Gov said:
Shimada deserved void.

All I needed to hear.
Mar 22, 2015 1:02 AM

May 2014
OMG I WAS GONNA MAKE THE SAME EXACT THREAD ABOUT THIS!!! XD
in any case i liked how they didnt reveal her choice but instead they revealed her destination.
i think that it has more meaning that way .... almost as if it didnt matter wat she chose, the right choice was not choosing at all
i guess this tells us more about ginti then it does about mayu
Mar 22, 2015 3:21 AM

Nov 2012
To be honest, I've always been conflicted with Shimada from the very start, I mean it's not like he knew WHY that bystander just watched his sister get raped, yet he planned to kill him and assumed he was an accomplice of the rapist.What if that bystander was just too scared to do anything? Also, how would he even know that the next person to come into the house would be an accomplice, let alone that same one? As far as he knew, it could of just been a father or a brother visiting.
EpicenterMar 22, 2015 3:26 AM
Jaywalker.
Mar 24, 2015 8:34 PM
Jul 2018
I wonder if I'm the only one who saw Mayu's situation as analogous to Chiyuki's, with Harada being to her what ice skating was to Chiyuki. Chiyuki makes a statement that losing ice skating was not what upset her so much, a statement which I interpreted as meaning that what she really loved about her passion was the way it filled her life with people and meaning and that she felt lost without it. It was probably the same way with Mayu: I doubt she cared THAT much for the guy himself, but he became her passion and thus filled her life with meaning, fun, and potentially human connections (other fangirls?).
So I see nothing wrong with her choosing Harada. Even if she didn't know much about the man himself, he was important to her in that sense. She picked a man that gave something to her instead of an stranger.
Mar 25, 2015 3:20 PM

Jul 2013
DrCoppelius said:
I wonder if I'm the only one who saw Mayu's situation as analogous to Chiyuki's, with Harada being to her what ice skating was to Chiyuki. Chiyuki makes a statement that losing ice skating was not what upset her so much, a statement which I interpreted as meaning that what she really loved about her passion was the way it filled her life with people and meaning and that she felt lost without it. It was probably the same way with Mayu: I doubt she cared THAT much for the guy himself, but he became her passion and thus filled her life with meaning, fun, and potentially human connections (other fangirls?).
So I see nothing wrong with her choosing Harada. Even if she didn't know much about the man himself, he was important to her in that sense. She picked a man that gave something to her instead of an stranger.

Good point!
Mar 26, 2015 6:33 PM

Dec 2014
Epicenter said:
To be honest, I've always been conflicted with Shimada from the very start, I mean it's not like he knew WHY that bystander just watched his sister get raped, yet he planned to kill him and assumed he was an accomplice of the rapist.What if that bystander was just too scared to do anything? Also, how would he even know that the next person to come into the house would be an accomplice, let alone that same one? As far as he knew, it could of just been a father or a brother visiting.

His beloved sister that he always protected (made a promise to her too) was sexually assaulted by the guy who he reported to the police. Being broken from these events, both of the siblings.. If it were you, are you sure you will not do the same to the rapist? And the coincidence that he killed police dude... He was heavily bleeding from the wound, not everyone can think logically at that situation... (Also adding that the revenge he set to for the rapist and the "witness" was not over at that moment in his knowledge)
Jul 6, 2019 12:50 PM
Jul 2019
I honestly think Harada didn't deserve the void.

First. We are all human and we make mistakes. I believe forgiveness can bring about change to someone who feels remorse for their mistakes.

Second, despite being a womanizer who was only sleeping around for the sake of having sex with multiple hot women he had no malicious intents on harming them physically nor psychologically. He just manipulated their feelings to sleep with them. It's very low indeed. But it's nothing uncommon and not serious enough to throw someone into hell. As a matter of fact, Harada felt remorse when he realized Kana committed suicide. That is what makes him human and someone who is worthy of being reincarnated. Someone who knows what they did is fucked up and regrets it. Trying to change for the better. Because we honestly all make mistakes. It depends on how we're raised. We all know that high school bully who changed for the better and grew up to be a successful man in life and have a happy family.

Third, Just because he driven her to the point where she was willing to give up her own life doesn't make Harada liable BY LAW for the suicide. Firstly, he had no malicious intents on psychologically/physically harming her. He just wanted to sleep around without her noticing it. Secondly, Anyone who has a braincell should be mentally prepared for the situation of their partner cheating on them. If they aren't mentally prepared and they commit suicide because of a heartbreaking breakup. The only one who should be held liable is the person who committed suicide. You can't commit suicide over a breakup and blame the person who broke up with you. Whether they were wrong or not. Everyone makes their own decisions and if one chooses to cheat on someone and that person can't take it after finding about it and being broken up with, that's his/her problem. Bare in mind, I still think that cheaters are scum and do regard as cheaters who made someone suicide over a breakup as fucks who assisted on their suicide. But in Harada's case he's just a ignorant fucking womanizer who wants to sleep around. He's not as low as serial killers. Not as low as rapists. Not fond of harming people physically or psychologically. Just your typical teenager who doesn't give a fuck about others feelings and wants to sleep around until a harsh reality hits him to make him regret. Even though he did keep her around for his own conveniences the last thing he wanted her to do was take her own life. You can see the remorse on the man. That's a man who's capable of changing for the better. He changed because of Mayu and remembering how he assisted in Kana's suicide. So all in all, All I see is Kana being a deluded teenager who was played around by Harada when not mentally prepared for a breakup, and Harada being a completely typical ignorant teenager who dont give a fuck about others feel and just want to sleep around until a rude awakening hits him to make him feel remorse and change for the better. He's not as bad as someone who enjoys murdering people, who enjoys cursing people and especially people who do others wrong and do not want to regret or change. Those are the people who truly deserve to go to hell.
Dec 7, 2019 3:16 AM

Mar 2016
wzres1t said:
I honestly think Harada didn't deserve the void.

First. We are all human and we make mistakes. I believe forgiveness can bring about change to someone who feels remorse for their mistakes.

Second, despite being a womanizer who was only sleeping around for the sake of having sex with multiple hot women he had no malicious intents on harming them physically nor psychologically. He just manipulated their feelings to sleep with them. It's very low indeed. But it's nothing uncommon and not serious enough to throw someone into hell. As a matter of fact, Harada felt remorse when he realized Kana committed suicide. That is what makes him human and someone who is worthy of being reincarnated. Someone who knows what they did is fucked up and regrets it. Trying to change for the better. Because we honestly all make mistakes. It depends on how we're raised. We all know that high school bully who changed for the better and grew up to be a successful man in life and have a happy family.

Third, Just because he driven her to the point where she was willing to give up her own life doesn't make Harada liable BY LAW for the suicide. Firstly, he had no malicious intents on psychologically/physically harming her. He just wanted to sleep around without her noticing it. Secondly, Anyone who has a braincell should be mentally prepared for the situation of their partner cheating on them. If they aren't mentally prepared and they commit suicide because of a heartbreaking breakup. The only one who should be held liable is the person who committed suicide. You can't commit suicide over a breakup and blame the person who broke up with you. Whether they were wrong or not. Everyone makes their own decisions and if one chooses to cheat on someone and that person can't take it after finding about it and being broken up with, that's his/her problem. Bare in mind, I still think that cheaters are scum and do regard as cheaters who made someone suicide over a breakup as fucks who assisted on their suicide. But in Harada's case he's just a ignorant fucking womanizer who wants to sleep around. He's not as low as serial killers. Not as low as rapists. Not fond of harming people physically or psychologically. Just your typical teenager who doesn't give a fuck about others feelings and wants to sleep around until a harsh reality hits him to make him regret. Even though he did keep her around for his own conveniences the last thing he wanted her to do was take her own life. You can see the remorse on the man. That's a man who's capable of changing for the better. He changed because of Mayu and remembering how he assisted in Kana's suicide. So all in all, All I see is Kana being a deluded teenager who was played around by Harada when not mentally prepared for a breakup, and Harada being a completely typical ignorant teenager who dont give a fuck about others feel and just want to sleep around until a rude awakening hits him to make him feel remorse and change for the better. He's not as bad as someone who enjoys murdering people, who enjoys cursing people and especially people who do others wrong and do not want to regret or change. Those are the people who truly deserve to go to hell.

I agree with your points to an extent. I believe Harada didn't deserve the void, but reincarnation wouldn't be anymore deserving by him.

Aug 16, 2020 7:06 AM

Sep 2016
Why does everyone assume she chose to sacrifice the stranger.

For what I got she decided to not do it and instead go to the same place of her idol, of her own volition.
bruh
Aug 26, 2020 11:46 AM
Aug 2019
FullyCharged said:
Why does everyone assume she chose to sacrifice the stranger.

For what I got she decided to not do it and instead go to the same place of her idol, of her own volition.

I totally agree with this. She chose the void and thought she would take his place and he would be reincarnated. But that didn't happen. They both ended up in the void.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2015

840 by sxrpente »»
Yesterday, 11:30 AM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2015

663 by ozrodger46 »»
Apr 11, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2015

672 by NikoFool »»
Apr 2, 10:50 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 23, 2015

521 by Seraschi »»
Apr 1, 2:56 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2015

596 by oDaw1 »»
Mar 25, 12:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.