Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 21, 2015 4:48 AM

Nov 2013
Does anyone knows what's going on with the Manhwa 'The Gamer', as I've seen on here then it's been deleted, Is there a reason why it doesn't qualify for the site?
May 14, 2015 8:20 AM

Jan 2010
mugi said:
It's an unpublished webtoon hosted on Naver, that doesn't meet the DB guidelines for manhwa. If you find it on MAL then it's because it's submitted and still in queue, which Google sometimes indexes I believe.
You can read more about that here.

Maybe you should do a little research before you respond? Or maybe you're just straight out lying but the truth is I am here to educate you today. The Gamer is being published as a light novel and their are already 4 volumes available. This alone makes The Gamer worthy of being added to the Manga database.

http://www.mangamint.com/gamer-865?page=1 Here are some notes from the author of The Gamer. Now that we have proven that it is in print as a light Novel. @MUGI how do we get it into the data base?? There is no way Admin can say it is not legitimate anymore.
Proud Administrator of the D Gray Man FC and OnePunch-Man FC

May 14, 2015 9:12 AM
Feb 2013
logic340 said:
mugi said:
It's an unpublished webtoon hosted on Naver, that doesn't meet the DB guidelines for manhwa. If you find it on MAL then it's because it's submitted and still in queue, which Google sometimes indexes I believe.
You can read more about that here.

Maybe you should do a little research before you respond? Or maybe you're just straight out lying but the truth is I am here to educate you today. The Gamer is being published as a light novel and their are already 4 volumes available. This alone makes The Gamer worthy of being added to the Manga database.

http://www.mangamint.com/gamer-865?page=1 Here are some notes from the author of The Gamer. Now that we have proven that it is in print as a light Novel. @MUGI how do we get it into the data base?? There is no way Admin can say it is not legitimate anymore.

Published as a light novel? You mean "The Gamer" webtoon is being published as a light novel? What.
May 15, 2015 10:42 AM

Jan 2010
mugi said:
logic340 said:

Thanks but these notes are not enough as information. There are no printed volumes of The Gamer webtoon. The Korean novel (The Gamer Fantasia) is irrelevant.

Unos said:

Published as a light novel? You mean "The Gamer" webtoon is being published as a light novel? What.

The webtoon is based on the webnovel by the same author with some slight differences (and terrible writing).

You admit the author is reputable which is why you claim that The Gamer is not part of the database. So what is keeping it off the database if the is author is reputable? I have read you guidelines well and it doesn't have to be in print to meet MAL guideline, but the author needs to be reputable and published which he is. Same goes for Ability which is written by the same guy that wrote Noblesse which is part of MAL database.

May 15, 2015 11:07 AM
Manga Moderator
Sleepy

Jul 2009
@logic340: If you want a webtoon added to the database, all you need to do is provide a source showing it's producing physical copies.

Example: All six volumes of "Can't See Can't Hear But Love" has produced physical copies which can be bought here.

If you can provide a source like that, it can be added to the database. Hopefully I don't need say more on this. Been kicking this dead horse of a topic for three years now.
May 15, 2015 11:16 AM

Jan 2010
KuroDubZero said:
@logic340: If you want a webtoon added to the database, all you need to do is provide a source showing it's producing physical copies.

Example: All six volumes of "Can't See Can't Hear But Love" has produced physical copies which can be bought here.

If you can provide a source like that, it can be added to the database. Hopefully I don't need say more on this. Been kicking this dead horse of a topic for three years now.

It's obviously not a dead horse if you been having to deal with it for three years now and counting.

May 15, 2015 11:27 AM
Manga Moderator
Sleepy

Jul 2009
logic340 said:
KuroDubZero said:

It's obviously not a dead horse if you been having to deal with it for three years now and counting.

In my eyes the horse died a long time ago, and people are just trying to resurrect it. Good luck on finding those sources.
May 16, 2015 3:33 PM

Oct 2009
logic340 said:
I have read you guidelines well and it doesn't have to be in print to meet MAL guideline, but the author needs to be reputable and published which he is.

Where did you get that from? Do you consider "The Gamer" webtoon as a doujinshi or a light novel?
SerhiykoMay 16, 2015 3:40 PM
May 18, 2015 12:25 PM

Jan 2010
Serhiyko said:
logic340 said:
I have read you guidelines well and it doesn't have to be in print to meet MAL guideline, but the author needs to be reputable and published which he is.

Where did you get that from? Do you consider "The Gamer" webtoon as a doujinshi or a light novel?

I got that from the guidelines and messages they the Manga Moderators have sent to other users. I think "The Gamer" is a Manhwa nothing more nothing less.

May 18, 2015 4:12 PM

Oct 2009
logic340 said:
I got that from the guidelines and messages they the Manga Moderators have sent to other users. I think "The Gamer" is a Manhwa nothing more nothing less.

Then what you wrote is plain wrong. You say
logic340 said:

while the guidelines you refer to state outright opposite:
Only manga published by reputable publishing companies will be admitted to the manga database, with the following exceptions:

Manhwa is in the exceptions, but it has to be published, too:
c. Manhwa, Manhua:
professionally published comics made in Korea or China for their respective markets.

Are we reading the same guidelines? Because I don't see where you got that stuff about the author and the work not needing to be published etc. If you got that from Manga Moderators posts, link to them please
SerhiykoMay 19, 2015 7:51 AM
May 19, 2015 7:11 AM

Jan 2010
Serhiyko said:
logic340 said:

Then what you wrote is plain wrong. You say
logic340 said:

while the guidelines you refer to state outright opposite:
Only manga published by reputable publishing companies will be admitted to the manga database, with the following exceptions:

Manhwa is in the exceptions, but it has top be published, too:
c. Manhwa, Manhua:
professionally published comics made in Korea or China for their respective markets.

Are we reading the same guidelines? Because I don't see where you got that stuff about the author and the work not needing to be published etc. If you got that from Manga Moderators posts, link to them please

I'm not trying to come across as an ass whole but, what I said was not wrong. There is not one instance in the guidelines where it says the work has to be in physical print. Many Korean works are done digitally as they are the leader in such types of media.

I will provide you with the dictionary definition of publisher.

Publisher - "a person or company that prepares and issues books, journals, music, or other works for sale." By the dictionary definition of the word publisher which you continually highlighted, Soul Cartel Tower of God, The Gamer, DICE, and may more should be allowed into the database. Naver Comics is a publisher and that is their trade name. They publish digital media and are the world leader in said area. Does this make the media any less real? No it surely doesn't. Does it mean they are not professionally published? No it certainly doesn't again. Who is determining whether these companies are reputable or not around here? Maybe it should be put to a vote via pole here on the site, rather than a small fews personal biased.

"Naver Comics (Hangul:네이버 만화,also called "webtoon"웹툰) is an area that provides Naver users with manhwa comics (webtoon) and original comic pieces. Naver started to provide people with web comics named "Navertoon" in June 2006. Most significantly, it offers comic book, genre fiction, and free webtoons. Users must pay publishers to view their comic book and genre fiction contents. On the other hand, free manhwa, webtoon, is provided by professional artists weekly for free." If they are going to say published in their respective market, which is what is happening with Korea, being the largest DIGITAL media market in the world. It fits their criteria whether they want to accept it or not. Just by the way it is written in the guidelines here.

May 19, 2015 7:32 AM

Jan 2010
Also this is just a discussion to help me understand why these types of works aren't allowed here. I don't understand it based on the guidelines I have read. This is not an attack on anyone I have just noticed that every time someone comes with a good argument Admin dodges or has a rude response that doesn't address the information being presented. It's a common defense mechanism only we humans use when faced with information we don't like or take offense to. Just like OFL, especially Dreamland) which fits every description they have for acceptance into the Database. Set up like most manga, reputable publisher in their market, etc. I guess my issue is they are using their own definition for the word punished instead of actually describing what fits their database. Professionally published means you are getting paid for your work and it is being distributed. That is happening for all the Manhwa I listed earlier so by the very definition of the word publish they meet the criteria.

May 19, 2015 7:43 AM

Oct 2009
"Published" in the guidelines is used in the sense "(physically) in print"
May 19, 2015 7:48 AM

Jan 2010
Serhiyko said:
"Published" in the guidelines is used in the sense "(physically) in print"

Yes I get that now I didn't get it in the beginning. I have been on the site for a long time but never tried to add anything until recently. Rather than explain why it wasn't added I was told I should have just understood it couldn't be done. But when I read the guidelines, as they are written, what I wanted to add met the criteria. In my opinion they need to change the word published, or give a description of what "reputable publisher" means to MAL. Because based on the dictionary definitions of the terms in use they don't follow their own guidelines. It leads to confusion. I understand now why the admin are so adamant about the Webtoons people try to get them in the database everyday. But the way the database works isn't very clear as it took me 5 years to even realize how to start working it. I didn't even know they had moderators, I never went into a forum until this year.

Jun 7, 2015 1:24 PM
May 2015
Really why you admins didnt add this cool manhwa it doesnt matter really for me if its printed or not.Admins please change this rules and allow webtoons to be in the list.This site is for peopole that want to share what did they red/watched not for viewing only manga/anime that are printed!
Jun 7, 2015 4:11 PM

Jan 2012
DKKirito said:
This site is for peopole

* people

Jul 25, 2015 2:44 AM

Oct 2014
I just find it annoying how I cannot say that I have read this manga just because it is not printed !
Jul 25, 2015 6:07 AM

Jul 2013
Jaribo said:
I just find it annoying how I cannot say that I have read this manga just because it is not printed !

Then start using another website if you don't like MAL's guidelines. Mangaupdates, Anime-Planet, AniList and Hummingbird all have it in their database.

https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=103618
http://www.anime-planet.com/manga/the-gamer
http://anilist.co/manga/55155/TheGamer
https://hummingbird.me/manga/the-gamer
Aug 13, 2015 6:21 AM
Jul 2015
perhaps MAL needs to update their guidelines to specify that the manhwa should be physically printed, because other webcomics like Nobleese and Girls of the Wilds are in the DB and have physical prints in circulation.

The absence of specifying that it should be in physical format confuses a lot of people here, like me who wants The Gamer to be in the DB
May 29, 2016 7:34 AM

Jan 2012
I'm not big on manga personally and always prefer anime for a quick joyride, especially while having supper or the like. The Gamer was the first thing I've read and it's what started me on manga in the first place. I would definitely love to see it on my manga list with a nice 10/10 rating ;)
Its not the case of "its not published manga" or other technicality - its an enjoyable read that people love and follow, its a shame its not here) Changing for a different service after being invested into myanimelist for years is out of the question, but its an annoyance not to have a favorite manga on the list)
May 29, 2016 2:29 PM
Mar 2015
Dark_Sapphiron said:
I'm not big on manga personally and always prefer anime for a quick joyride, especially while having supper or the like. The Gamer was the first thing I've read and it's what started me on manga in the first place. I would definitely love to see it on my manga list with a nice 10/10 rating ;)
Its not the case of "its not published manga" or other technicality - its an enjoyable read that people love and follow, its a shame its not here) Changing for a different service after being invested into myanimelist for years is out of the question, but its an annoyance not to have a favorite manga on the list)

Well put! It really is unfortunate that we cannot add The Gamer to our list since it's one of my favorite reads.
Jul 8, 2016 6:21 PM

Feb 2015
Kruzy said:
Jaribo said:

Then start using another website if you don't like MAL's guidelines. Mangaupdates, Anime-Planet, AniList and Hummingbird all have it in their database.

https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=103618
http://www.anime-planet.com/manga/the-gamer
http://anilist.co/manga/55155/TheGamer
https://hummingbird.me/manga/the-gamer

that's not the problem here. they want MAL to have it. all those sites? they're sane enough to see that published means published.
Aug 25, 2016 12:07 PM

Oct 2014
I guess now it's up to whoever's in charge of the rules to alter them, if we're going to have The Gamer added to the database.
(*゚∀゚)ノ
Nov 20, 2016 3:14 PM
May 2016
IceBreakerZ said:
I guess now it's up to whoever's in charge of the rules to alter them, if we're going to have The Gamer added to the database.

Actually the gamer is published by the webtoon http://m.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/the-gamer/list?title_no=88 for almost 1 year now

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Manga DB - Post Genre/Theme Requests Here ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Mar 28, 2022

131 by nerfsunny »»
7 hours ago

Sticky: » Manga DB - Post Modifications/Duplicates Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Aarana - Jan 4, 2009

7686 by Barbaduk »»
Apr 23, 11:45 PM

» Surprising Manga Still Needs Approval

Uutama - Apr 19

0 by Uutama »»
Apr 19, 1:01 AM

» TO THE ADMINISTRATORS OF MAL! BIBLIOMANIA!

carhs14 - Aug 12, 2023

11 by jere344 »»
Apr 18, 7:52 PM

» Pending approval items

Marrzo - Apr 17

0 by Marrzo »»
Apr 17, 12:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.