Hamon >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ripple
Mar 19, 2015 2:01 PM

Jul 2010
celeschere said:

Ripple >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> (Nen) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hamon
Mar 19, 2015 4:56 PM

Jun 2010
...And the award for most pointless thread goes to Dragonage2ftw, for "Stupid Click-Bait Thread 22987".

You get some points back for this post however.
Mar 19, 2015 8:14 PM

May 2014
Mar 20, 2015 6:20 AM

May 2014
Who would want ripple , ripple is shit , I would rather have za warudo.
Given the right situation , the right story , anyone can be shaped into Snake.
-Revolver Ocelot , MGS2
Mar 20, 2015 8:50 AM
Mar 2015
Akabawi said:
Who would want ripple , ripple is shit , I would rather have za warudo.
You got that right mate. Stands >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hamon
Mar 20, 2015 6:58 PM

Apr 2014
WandererRedux said:
...And the award for most pointless thread goes to Dragonage2ftw, for "Stupid Click-Bait Thread 22987".

You get some points back for this post however.

Actually, I was hoping that someone else would explain what I meant inside of spoilers.

I kinda don't remember how to do spoiler tags on MAL.

Mar 20, 2015 7:05 PM

Apr 2014
Akanezora said:
celeschere said:

Ripple >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> (Nen) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hamon

HAHA!
You're still as witty as ever.

Mar 20, 2015 8:07 PM

Dec 2009
I'm just hoping the anime does Part 4
Mar 20, 2015 8:55 PM

Jun 2014
If they do part 4
Mar 20, 2015 10:39 PM

Jul 2013
They'd better do Part 4. I want to see my damn Rohan.
And I mean that in the most sexually painful way possible.
Mar 21, 2015 6:27 AM
Apr 2014
I`m assuming you are talking about the way they treated Joseph? Yeah…I gotta mixed feeling about that…
Mar 21, 2015 6:29 AM

Jan 2013
When did this become F/SN forum?
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Mar 21, 2015 4:29 PM

Oct 2012
DawnJ said:
When did this become F/SN forum?
Just wait till the priests with their Pucci avatars show up.
Mar 22, 2015 2:18 AM

Feb 2011
close this thread
thx
Mar 22, 2015 10:14 AM

Mar 2012
I agree, lack of ripple was a big factor in eliminating my interest in the execution of the show.

I think Ripples are like the stuff they introduce after stands so I might pick up p.7-8.
End Zionazism
Mar 22, 2015 10:56 AM
Sep 2014
Mikasa said:
I agree, lack of ripple was a big factor in eliminating my interest in the execution of the show.

I think Ripples are like the stuff they introduce after stands so I might pick up p.7-8.

Actually, "the Spin" (the concept that was introduced in part 7) didnt replace stands, in fact only 3 characters in part 7 used it (one of wich combined it with his stand techinique), all other allies/enemies used stands.
Currently, all characters in part 8 are stand users
Mar 22, 2015 2:42 PM

Apr 2014
Mikasa said:

Part 4 is much better than Part 3.
Just saying.

Mar 22, 2015 2:44 PM

Apr 2014
gyro785 said:
I`m assuming you are talking about the way they treated Joseph? Yeah…I gotta mixed feeling about that…

Actually, I was referring to the fact that the ripple doesn't even get mentioned in Part 4, but yes, I have mixed feelings about that as well.

Mar 22, 2015 3:19 PM

Jun 2009
ak184 said:
Mikasa said:

Actually, "the Spin" (the concept that was introduced in part 7) didnt replace stands, in fact only 3 characters in part 7 used it (one of wich combined it with his stand techinique), all other allies/enemies used stands.
Currently, all characters in part 8 are stand users

This is stuff you don't learn by reading about a series on wikipedia, I guess.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 22, 2015 7:47 PM
May 2014
Seems like there is a misconception among a few people: Hamon and the Ripple are the exact same thing; Hamon is just the romanized name for the Ripple.

But yeah, Part 4 is great (my favorite of the parts I've read (3,4, and 6 (currently reading 5 and 7 (parentheses are great)))).
Mar 23, 2015 2:52 AM

Jun 2010
Mikasa said:

From what I've seen of your complaints, what you actually have a problem with is how the show's fights felt less "creative" with the introduction of Stands (which I do agree with; the Stand's in this part are rather bland and thus make a lot of the fights feel less memorable).

However I can assure you that this is remedied in later parts where Stands are far more creative both in concept and in application. If you don't believe me and don't mind mildly spoiling yourself on Parts 3-4, look up what the next JoJo protagonist's Stand can can do. It's pretty insane.
Mar 23, 2015 7:07 PM

Jan 2015
Stardust Crusaders was made to ease readers into the idea of Stands. If Araki just went straight into

everyone would be so confused and jarred by such a drastic change from the Ripple. Araki saved the better for later, and I guarantee you that people will feel differently once part 4 hits.
Mar 24, 2015 9:13 AM

Apr 2014
GoyitoSatan said:
Stardust Crusaders was made to ease readers into the idea of Stands. If Araki just went straight into

everyone would be so confused and jarred by such a drastic change from the Ripple. Araki saved the better for later, and I guarantee you that people will feel differently once part 4 hits.

This is a really smart post.

Kudos.

May 20, 2015 7:23 AM

Apr 2014
Misoru-kun said:
Seems like there is a misconception among a few people: Hamon and the Ripple are the exact same thing; Hamon is just the romanized name for the Ripple.

But yeah, Part 4 is great (my favorite of the parts I've read (3,4, and 6 (currently reading 5 and 7 (parentheses are great)))).

Um, that's kind of the joke.

May 21, 2015 4:17 AM

May 2015
[quote=ak184]
Mikasa said:

oh lol

he takes what he's lost and discards what he's won, he's every bit as alive as you and I
May 21, 2015 11:49 AM

Apr 2014
[quote=LeturLefr]
ak184 said:
Mikasa said:

oh lol

You summed it up.

May 21, 2015 5:19 PM

Mar 2015
Mikasa said:

Only three characters use Spin in part 7, with two of them having Stands and the third one using a special ability of Spin that is very reminiscent of later parts Stands. And part 8 leaves the concept behind as far as we can tell. So, if you don't enjoy Stands, just drop the series. It'll be way better for you and for us, fans of JoJo that have to listen to your complaints.

EDIT: and I just noticed someone replied to him before. Well, whatever, I'll leave my reply
May 21, 2015 9:13 PM

Jul 2014
Not to be offensive, but I really don't get this preoccupation with the Ripple. What's so great about it? It just seems like a generic "This power does whatever it needs to" ability.

It kills vampires, heals, can magnetize living objects, turn hair into a bulletproof shield, etc. It's just way too... all-consuming.

Narrowing down abilities with Stands seems much more effective, and even then we still see that Araki is able to make a simple power have just as many applications as the Ripple did without needing to invent new usages for it out of thin air.
May 21, 2015 11:16 PM

Nov 2011
Hobgoblin2099 said:
Not to be offensive, but I really don't get this preoccupation with the Ripple. What's so great about it? It just seems like a generic "This power does whatever it needs to" ability.

It kills vampires, heals, can magnetize living objects, turn hair into a bulletproof shield, etc. It's just way too... all-consuming.

Narrowing down abilities with Stands seems much more effective, and even then we still see that Araki is able to make a simple power have just as many applications as the Ripple did without needing to invent new usages for it out of thin air.

I agree with this 100%
May 22, 2015 2:54 AM

Jan 2015
Fadeout4 said:
Hobgoblin2099 said:

I agree with this 100%

Ditto. People are just trying to be hipsters. Even Araki said he didn't feel like the Ripple was going anywhere after Part 2.
May 22, 2015 4:31 AM

Feb 2015
Don't get me wrong, I think stands are much better than Hamon, it's just weird that they don't use it anymore all of sudden. I think Joesepf should Jotaro teach Hamon and then he should use it al least a few time before it got completely irrelevant (maybe even combine Stands and Hamon at one point? Something like that would be cool).
May 22, 2015 1:17 PM

Jun 2013
Jonas_The_Jay said:
Don't get me wrong, I think stands are much better than Hamon, it's just weird that they don't use it anymore all of sudden. I think Joesepf should Jotaro teach Hamon and then he should use it al least a few time before it got completely irrelevant (maybe even combine Stands and Hamon at one point? Something like that would be cool).

There's no point in Hamon being around after Part 2. It's only useful against vampires. Would it have been interesting to see it used against DIO or Vanilla Ice? Perhaps, but past them, it has no use seeing as there are no other vampires. And in the first place, to fight a Stand, one needs to have a Stand.
May 22, 2015 3:23 PM

May 2015
Hobgoblin2099 said:

Because they haven't read part 4 :(

he takes what he's lost and discards what he's won, he's every bit as alive as you and I
May 23, 2015 1:25 PM

Feb 2015
Jazzy_Maz said:
Jonas_The_Jay said:

There's no point in Hamon being around after Part 2. It's only useful against vampires.

This is not true at all, Hamon can do all kinds of crazy shit, for example reducing pain and healing. How is this not helpful? Also Hamon makes you age slightly slower, so there is acually no reason NOT to train and use it. But like I said, I like Stands and I think they're a great addition the show, but I just think the transition from Hamon to Stands is way too abrupt.
May 23, 2015 4:37 PM

May 2014
Jonas_The_Jay said:
Jazzy_Maz said:

There's no point in Hamon being around after Part 2. It's only useful against vampires.

This is not true at all, Hamon can do all kinds of crazy shit, for example reducing pain and healing. How is this not helpful? Also Hamon makes you age slightly slower, so there is acually no reason NOT to train and use it. But like I said, I like Stands and I think they're a great addition the show, but I just think the transition from Hamon to Stands is way too abrupt.

They already fought DIO with hamon, why would they need to do it again? The introduction of stands gave people their own unique powers and stopped grouping them together into one type of power that they could do anything with. Like yeah, it's useful, but really, how many times did we see hamon get used in part 3? Not very many it was just "oh it's Joseph's other power, since Hermit Purple is so weak, at least he has this still."

May 23, 2015 4:54 PM

Jun 2013
Jonas_The_Jay said:

While its effects are helpful, to fight a Stand, one needs a Stand. The existence of Hamon wouldn't really lend itself to creating complex battles that can be orchestrated with Stands. Hamon served its purpose but couldn't really go anywhere past where it had. Battle Tendency showed us that Araki wanted to make fights that were more based on strategy than the actual exchange of blows. Hamon doesn't lend itself to that nearly as much as Stands do. While the change is indeed somewhat abrupt, Araki took time to introduce Stands of higher complexities to ease into the system.
Jun 5, 2015 11:41 AM

Feb 2015
ok I take it back. Since Hamon was used at least once against Part 3 DIO, I'm somewhat satisfied now. I actually thought Joeseph would NEVER use it again after The Empress.
Jun 5, 2015 12:02 PM

May 2014
Jonas_The_Jay said:
ok I take it back. Since Hamon was used at least once against Part 3 DIO, I'm somewhat satisfied now. I actually thought Joeseph would NEVER use it again after The Empress.
He used it against Mariah btw. and it gave him a win
Given the right situation , the right story , anyone can be shaped into Snake.
-Revolver Ocelot , MGS2
Jun 5, 2015 2:42 PM

Nov 2011
Jonas_The_Jay said:

He used it to win against Mariah.
Jun 6, 2015 5:49 AM

Feb 2015
Fadeout4 said:
Jonas_The_Jay said:

He used it to win against Mariah.

Oh it seems I forgot that :x
Jun 12, 2015 7:44 PM

Apr 2014
Jonas_The_Jay said:
Jazzy_Maz said:

"Slightly slower?"

Don't you mean "incredibly slowly?"

Jul 1, 2015 3:47 AM

Mar 2012
WandererRedux said:
Mikasa said:

From what I've seen of your complaints, what you actually have a problem with is how the show's fights felt less "creative" with the introduction of Stands (which I do agree with; the Stand's in this part are rather bland and thus make a lot of the fights feel less memorable).

However I can assure you that this is remedied in later parts where Stands are far more creative both in concept and in application. If you don't believe me and don't mind mildly spoiling yourself on Parts 3-4, look up what the next JoJo protagonist's Stand can can do. It's pretty insane.

Is it Part 5?
I think I'll check that out.

I was hoping P3 would only be 25 episodes or something so we can move on to see the rest.
End Zionazism
Jul 1, 2015 4:02 AM

Jun 2015
Mikasa said:
WandererRedux said:

I was hoping P3 would only be 25 episodes or something so we can move on to see the rest.

Jul 2, 2015 3:44 PM

Jun 2010
Mikasa said:

Is it Part 5?

Part 5 has some pretty good powers that's for sure (and arguably the best fights), but I was actually referring to Josuke's Stand Crazy Diamond and its ability to "restore" whatever it touches/destroys. It's pretty much the swiss army knife of Stands. In terms of Stands basically P4 is good for unique (and not always combat focused) powers being used in fights, P5 is good for seeing the application of superficially basic powers and what happens when multiple Stand powers are combined, P6 for OP and strange stand powers and P7-8 for a slighlty different spin on Stands. The powers Stands use also get increasingly abstract both in form and application.

I'd still encourage you to check out the other parts, just keep in mind that each subsequent part is comparable in length to SC (Part 4 has more chapters, while Part 7 is more dense as the series became a monthly seinin instead of a weekly shonen). It helps that fights do tend to be longer, that enemies tend to be more fleshed out and that there are more objectives than just "Defeat main badguy+minions!" going on between fights however.
WandererReduxJul 2, 2015 3:51 PM
Jul 2, 2015 4:22 PM

Feb 2013
WandererRedux said:
Mikasa said:

Is it Part 5?

Part 5 has some pretty good powers that's for sure (and arguably the best fights), but I was actually referring to Josuke's Stand Crazy Diamond and its ability to "restore" whatever it touches/destroys.

It's pretty amusing to see how much uses can be squeezed out of the ability to fix stuff that goes beyond fixing up friends after battle. Giorno's stand capabilities are pretty random tbh, with one of them being forgotten after it's introduction. Still pretty cool though.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 2nd Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2015

132 by fgowy »»
Apr 17, 4:02 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 2nd Season Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2015

137 by vizthex »»
Apr 1, 10:43 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 2nd Season Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Akanezora - Feb 20, 2015

187 by MISTERINVINCIBLE »»
Mar 16, 11:01 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 2nd Season Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2015

161 by Blitrapika »»
Feb 27, 8:33 AM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Akanezora - Jan 23, 2015

261 by Yvel_33 »»
Feb 1, 6:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.