Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 18, 2015 1:42 PM

Jul 2014
As the title says :-) Is there an anime, which you thought was just a cartoon?

Recently (well, two months ago) I learned that The Mysterious Cities of Gold is an anime.
It was shock to me. I watched it as kid and till that day I thought it was just a cartoon.
In Poland French dub version with Polish voice-over was broadcast. Maybe because of that I was fooled for so long :-)

Now I wonder, how many cartoons, I watched as kid, are in fact anime?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Mar 18, 2015 2:33 PM

Mar 2015
Couple of things, and lets remember at the time I was a kid who probably didn't even know Japan existed, there was Voltron and Robotech, which are sliced up and dubbed versions of multiple anime sold to a western market. I know MAL does not consider them anime, but I think they fit what you are talking about. I had no idea they were Japanese created till 10 years after I saw them. I am sure there are other examples of this practice but I can't think of um.
Also in the 80s and 90s, anime studios would partner or be contracted to do western cartoons, so not true anime but definitely anime influenced. Ducktales, Animaniacs, and the old Dungeon & Dragons series all fall into this, along with countless others.
The one show I watched and had no idea was a "real" anime was Ronin Warriors. http://myanimelist.net/anime/1264/Yoroiden_Samurai_Troopers
Bunch1335Mar 18, 2015 2:38 PM
Mar 18, 2015 2:34 PM

Mar 2015
Anyways thats all I can think of off the top of my head, has to be others but I don't remember them :)
Mar 18, 2015 2:50 PM

Jul 2014
I also watched bunch of anime as kid (some of them are in my profile), without knowing that Japan exists, but later I learned that they are anime. The Mysterious Cities of Gold took me by surprise :-)
Mar 18, 2015 3:10 PM

Mar 2015
Lol I checked your link and saw it was produced by DiC out of France. Sad but true for a while DiC went by the name "The Incredible World of DiC" which brought my younger self more amusement then most of their cartoons. That said DiC did own an anime studio so they are a very likely company to have tricked our younger selves. You could say DiC slipped one by you :p
Mar 18, 2015 6:49 PM

Jun 2008
For me it was originally Speed Racer and Kimba the White Lion. Then it was Voltron and Battle of the Planets. It wasn't until the late 80s when I in college and had cable and caught more dubbed series that I found out then. At that time it wasn't call anime but Japanimation.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Mar 18, 2015 7:03 PM

Sep 2008
Battle of the Planets is the only one that really fits for me because I knew Voltron, Robotech etc. were Japanese, though I called it Japanimation back then.

Mar 18, 2015 9:01 PM

Aug 2006
Hmm... as far as anime I watched, it was Speed Racer.

Watching with my kids, there are many more. I watched Sailor Moon, Card Captor Sakura, Pokemon, and Naruto w/ my kids before I discovered anime, and what anime was (yes, I found anime late in life).

It was after I watched a few episodes of Naruto w/ one of my children, that my oldest child introduced me to "anime" and what it was.
Mar 19, 2015 12:58 AM

Dec 2008
Well, way back in the early 1970's, I had no idea that shows I was watching like Speed Racer, Astro Boy and Marine Boy was anime. I wasn't aware of what anime was until early 1980 when I discovered Star Blazers, and the rest was history!

May the DESU be with you! Always!
Mar 20, 2015 5:13 PM

Dec 2008
It used to be listed here, but someone got in a snit and whined that since Avatar didn't qualify, then neither did ThunderCats, so it got removed from the system. Although I rarely watched it when it was on and never watched the updated version from the last year or so. But from reading the Wiki entry, if Afro Samurai meets the criteria, seems to me so does ThunderCats. Barely, but it meets it.
Mar 20, 2015 7:12 PM

Oct 2012
Well, Afro Samurai was done by Gonzo, a legitimate anime production company. While it may not have been for a Japanese audience, it was still produced in Japan and is therefore considered an anime by MAL's rules.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jun 17, 2015 12:45 AM

Jul 2014
I think I just found (by accident) the first anime I watched as a kid.

I was looking at anime related to our club and found Uchuu Densetsu Ulysses 31 on the list. I remembered a cartoon about Ulysses I watched as a kid and was wondering if this is another version of Ulysses legend.

When the page opened I was shocked. The poster from the anime looked exactly as the cartoon in my memories. I did a youtube search for short clip from it and it turned out to be true. I watched this anime as a kid.

I did a google search and learned that I watched it in 1991, well before Sailor Moon, Captain Tsubasa or Yattaman.

For a few seconds I was literally speechless.

And when I was thinking that nothing can surprise me, I found that Tanoshii Muumin Ikka is an anime.

Now I feel like Jon Snow. I know nothing.
mozgowJun 18, 2015 3:23 AM
Jun 17, 2015 6:53 PM

Mar 2015
I had no idea mozgow, nice catch!
Jun 18, 2015 5:30 AM

Jun 2008
OrlahEhontas said:
It used to be listed here, but someone got in a snit and whined that since Avatar didn't qualify, then neither did ThunderCats, so it got removed from the system. Although I rarely watched it when it was on and never watched the updated version from the last year or so. But from reading the Wiki entry, if Afro Samurai meets the criteria, seems to me so does ThunderCats. Barely, but it meets it.
Avatar isn't an anime. The producers stated that it was influenced by anime. It was made in the US. Now the new Thundercats was produced in the US but was animated by Studio 4°, a Japanese animation company.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Jun 18, 2015 8:55 AM

Mar 2014
sbyrstall said:
OrlahEhontas said:
Avatar isn't an anime. The producers stated that it was influenced by anime. It was made in the US. Now the new Thundercats was produced in the US but was animated by Studio 4°, a Japanese animation company.

But did ThunderCats 2011 ever air on Japanese TV? It seems like that's frequently the tiebreaker in deciding whether to list these US/Japanese co-productions. Or at least it's the simplest explanation for why Mighty Orbots (a TMS/Intermedia/MCA collaboration directed by Osamu Dezaki) and Mega Man (an Ashi/Ruby Spears co-production) are listed on MAL, while Bionic Six (a TMS/MCA collaboration directed by Osamu Dezaki) and Skysurfer Strike Force (an Ashi/Ruby Spears co-production) are not. While all of them were made for the American market, the former two also eventually aired on Japanese TV, the latter two never did.

Afro Samurai shouldn't even be a discussion. The anime was produced in Japan by Japanese companies, and it was adapted from an original Japanese doujinshi. The ONLY argument that can be made against it was that it aired on US TV first, but it was also broadcast on Fuji Television in Japan just a few months after its US premiere, so by any reasonable standard it ought to qualify.
WingKingJun 18, 2015 9:00 AM
Jun 27, 2020 9:09 AM
Nov 2010
I guess this depends a lot on the region and time frame in which you grew up. I grew up in the early 80's in Canada and there was a lot of anime dubbed in french on national TV (radio-Canada / Tele-Québec). I would say that at least 50% of the cartoon I watched as a kid were anime. The rest is a mix of american ( G.I.Joe, Transformer, bugs bunny, etc.) and french ( asterix, Tintin, Lucky Luke) cartoons. Here is a list of the ones I saw, that I rember:

Don Chuck Monogatari
UFO Robo Grendizer
Uchuu Kaizoku Captain Herlock
Captain Future
Kerokko Demetan
Yama Nezumi Rocky Chuck
Ie Naki Ko
Meiken Jolie
Tetsuwan Atom
Little El Cid no Bouken
Calimero
Maeterlinck no Aoi Tori Tyltyl Mytyl no Bouken Ryokou
Taiyou no Ko
Tom Sawyer no Bouken
Uchuu Densetsu Ulysses 31
Chiisana Viking Vickie
Candy Candy

Aug 11, 2020 3:50 PM

Jan 2015
While i could mention several because as a kid i didn't know what anime was but as i got older none of them shocked me when i found out they were anime. However 1 movie that i semi recently found out was actually an anime still has me shook (not in a bad way just can't believe i never knew lol) is Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland, i loved it as a kid and have watched it off and on for the nostalgia over the years but even in my adult life had no idea it was an anime until i randomly searched for it and saw a MAL link lol
Nov 17, 2021 12:51 PM

Aug 2014
For me, the biggest surprise (apart from the Mysterious Cities of gold) was finding out that Samurai Pizza Cats was actually an Anime.

Granted I should have figured it out since it was the only "cartoon" set in Japan at the time but I still wouldn't have guessed it really was an Anime even then.

Nov 17, 2021 1:05 PM

Apr 2019
Almost all my 70s German public broadcast animated shows were anime, Heidi, Maya and the usual suspects. The biggest surprise however was this: https://myanimelist.net/anime/2813/Chiisana_Ahiru_no_Ooki_na_Ai_no_Monogatari__Ahiru_no_Kwak

Nov 17, 2021 2:35 PM
Jul 2020
As I get more and more nostalgic in my youtube viewing I always find that something I watched as a kid was an adaptation or original anime. While I tend to believe I've been an anime fan since I was a teenager something pops up and I think, "huh, maybe it goes back even further." Hopefully I can track down some while they're still available or remember them when Discotek remasters a box set and get them for my kids to watch too.
Feb 24, 2022 1:02 PM

Nov 2007
Anything pre-Power Rangers but had Power Rangers-like assembling of big robots, like Voltron and Battle of the Planets. They were very standalone episodic so I didn't think of it as anime, and they were competing with Transformers and He-Man. I didn't see serial anime stuff until Star Blazers made its run on syndication, and then it's like whoa, I have to actually pay attention to where I am in the series?
Feb 24, 2022 5:49 PM

Sep 2008
Far as what I seen growing up:

Robotech: Perhaps the more memorable example for 80s anime fans as I wouldn't know until years later of it mashing up three different anime titles, most famous of which being Macross.

Scamper the Penguin and New Adventures of Tom Sawyer: Seen these on VHS as a kid in the early 90s from Celebrity Home Entertainment, who had taken a number of anime titles that they edited or changed things with its story to try making the titles appropriate for younger audiences. Would later learn that Scamper was actually a Japanese/ Soviet anime film project from the early 80s called Adventures of Lolo the Penguin.

Tom Sawyer took a few episodes from the TV anime adaptation of Mark Twain's book (part of the World Masterpiece Theater series) and made them into a 2 hour film. I understand the TV anime had an English dubbed version that aired in the U.S. in the 1980s on HBO, which it appears the movie took its footage from.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Discuss the Series You Just Finished ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Chelle - Jul 27, 2009

2876 by 23feanor »»
1 hour ago

» Kobato (2009) - April 2024 Group Watch

23feanor - Apr 2

46 by 23feanor »»
4 hours ago

Sticky: » Interest Thread for a Group Watch ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

23feanor - Oct 26, 2020

290 by OrlahEhontas »»
Yesterday, 4:05 PM

» Anime with adult main characters

zubby - Nov 30, 2023

5 by Angus »»
Apr 14, 2:05 PM

Sticky: » New Member Introductions ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Chelle - Oct 3, 2009

832 by Anim3Punk »»
Apr 10, 6:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.