Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 14, 2015 8:13 AM

Feb 2013
Since its 103 episodes its kind of risky for me to start because I actually like to finish what I started
I am kind of in a need for something that will hook me up so I can look forward to watch after work
Thanks
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 14, 2015 8:15 AM

Oct 2014
belalinda said:
Since its 103 episodes its kind of risky for me to start because I actually like to finish what I started
I am kind of in a need for something that will hook me up so I can look forward to watch after work
Thanks

I heard that it doesn't have a concluding ending so I dropped it. There's no point in watching it
Mar 14, 2015 8:16 AM

Feb 2013
Cnon said:
belalinda said:
Thanks

I heard that it doesn't have a concluding ending so I dropped it. There's no point in watching it

Thanks for warning I really hate unfinished stories :/
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 14, 2015 8:21 AM

Nov 2012
I have seen 50 episodes and I've still got in on hold, but it's been over a year. It's ok. Nothing more. It's bearable, but I had to force myself to continue to watch the episodes. The main point is that the humor didn't appeal to me, it's kind of like the Fairy Tail humor. It's childish. But if it's your thing then you'll probably like it.
Mar 14, 2015 8:24 AM

Sep 2013
Its an amazing ride but youll never see an ending, as the cunt of an author/artist abandoned the manga without any reason whatsoever.
Mar 14, 2015 8:27 AM

Nov 2012
Old_Raven said:
Its an amazing ride but youll never see an ending, as the cunt of an author/artist abandoned the manga without any reason whatsoever.

I thought it was still regularly updated? Haven't read the manga in a long while, I didn't know that. That's a pity.
Mar 14, 2015 9:10 AM

May 2012
Shirayukishi said:
Old_Raven said:

I thought it was still regularly updated? Haven't read the manga in a long while, I didn't know that. That's a pity.

It hasn't been updated in 3 years or so now.

At first, there was rumors of her being seriously ill, which she has in the past. Then there were rumors of her having problems with publishers and what not.

Near the end of last year, there was a bit of a tease with her pretty much saying that manga would be continuing again. Well, at least I think that's what it pretty much said.

Buncha rumors that I don't even know which is true.

Eh. It used to be a favorite of mine too, but it's been so damn long that I've stopped caring.

Mar 14, 2015 9:51 AM

Mar 2012
If you want weak Protagonist and Overpowered Gary Sue villains then sure why not.
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Mar 14, 2015 10:33 AM

Aug 2013
Well, the first few episodes were great; the animation was actually really good at the time, too.

Then it got bogged down by a bunch of nonsense and monsters-of-the-week until about halfway through the series, and by then the animation was so inferior to anything else I was watching it wasn't really worth keeping up with, especially in comparison to the manga's wild style.

I finished the series for whatever reason, and I actually would've continued watching it because of the new things that sprouted up during the final arc, but at the same time I'm relieved to be done with it.
Mar 14, 2015 10:36 AM

Nov 2012
it's boring af, don't bother.
Mar 14, 2015 10:49 AM

Jan 2015
i watched it on tv and it is good but HIATUS!!!!!!
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Mar 14, 2015 10:51 AM

Jan 2011
i didnt like it
Mar 14, 2015 10:52 AM
Jul 2018
Nope,it is not worth watching 103 episodes at all.
Mar 14, 2015 11:06 AM

Jan 2015
The anime is painfully average, it has an unresolved ending and the manga is a million times better.
Mar 14, 2015 11:26 AM
Dec 2013
Nah, it's not that good. The fights are boring compared to other battle shounen. I think it focuses on plot more, and is more of a drama. I personally prefer the Big 3 over it.
Mar 14, 2015 12:18 PM

Dec 2012
I liked it, though the first half of it is kind of a slog. The second half was really good though, but as other have mentioned there isn't an ending.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Mar 14, 2015 12:22 PM
Apr 2014
Meh it is one of the better battle shounen out there. And that's about it.
"Chinese cartoons was a mistake"

Hayao Miyazaki
Mar 14, 2015 12:41 PM

Mar 2011
Unlike everyone else here I guess, I really enjoyed it. There is an open ending, but I'd say it's still worth watching anyways. The first half may be kind of slow for some, but the second half of the series is very intense and well thought out. That's my two cents.
Mar 14, 2015 2:27 PM

Sep 2011
I enjoyed it a lot more than Naruto and Bleach, that's for sure. It has an unresolved ending due to the manga not being over, and now the manga being on hold for 2 years or something. Don't watch it if you don't want unresolved endings.
Mar 14, 2015 4:27 PM

Jun 2014
For me it was 7-8. What kept it from being an 8 for me was how slow paced it was and its unsatisfying ending. Still a good anime in my opinion and definitely worth a watch.
SyndiciateMar 14, 2015 4:35 PM
Mar 14, 2015 4:30 PM

Jan 2012
the anime is really good with soundtrack /opening /ending/ art .I can say that you will not be disappointed with the ending.it wasn't really that much of a great ending but it wasn't bad either. be aware of some little fillers arc
but I find them funny .well just give this anime a try (its something different.i guarantee it)

need more info hit me up

Mar 14, 2015 4:36 PM

Jun 2014
AllenVonStein said:
the anime is really good with soundtrack /opening /ending/ art .I can say that you will not be disappointed with the ending.it wasn't really that much of a great ending but it wasn't bad either. be aware of some little fillers arc
but I find them funny .well just give this anime a try (its something different.i guarantee it)

need more info hit me up

Really good soundtrack? It was alright...
Mar 14, 2015 4:37 PM

Jan 2012
Syndiciate said:
AllenVonStein said:

need more info hit me up

IMO

Mar 14, 2015 4:45 PM

Jun 2014
AllenVonStein said:
Syndiciate said:

IMO

Decent-Good.
Mar 14, 2015 4:46 PM

Aug 2009
read the manga, anime is rally quite bad
Mar 14, 2015 4:47 PM

Jun 2014
MrKnD said:
read the manga, anime is rally quite bad

Now that's a bit harsh.
Mar 14, 2015 4:49 PM
Mar 2013
It is pretty good although it suffers from a slow start. The second half is good and the last 1/4 is very good. I would say it is worth the time.
Mar 14, 2015 4:50 PM

Jun 2014
JD2411 said:
It is pretty good although it suffers from a slow start. The second half is good and the last 1/4 is very good. I would say it is worth the time.

+1
Mar 14, 2015 4:50 PM

Jan 2012
Syndiciate said:
JD2411 said:

+1

+2

Mar 14, 2015 6:09 PM

Jan 2014
I personally loved it there is some filler in the first half but the rest is amazing I'd recommend it
ZA WARUDO WRYYYYYY
Mar 14, 2015 6:17 PM

Nov 2010
Worth watching but it does have a very unfinished ending. Especially the last 1/4 was very good, the rest wasn't bad though.
Mar 14, 2015 6:20 PM

Jan 2008
The anime has a bit of random fillers that somehow incorporated a character isn't suppose to even appear as early as shown into the anime if I remember correctly. Don't expect a proper ending or anything though, the manga has been dead for quite some time.
Feb 7, 2016 1:50 PM

Mar 2014
I have the same question as OP, I dropped it way back when FMA was the only thing I had ever seen. In hindsight is was only because I wanted more FMA and nothing else would satisfy me. I have a few specific questions as well.

Is the action any good? I love fight scenes, my favorites so far are the ones in HunterxHunter, OPM, KLK, Arise, and Champloo, if that helps at all.

How are the characters and character development? That might be the most important thing for me in most shows. Is it believable? What about the dialogue?

It sounds like it has the same type of annoying humor as FMA and Soul Eater, but I can tolerate that if it isn't too prevalent.
May 9, 2016 8:33 PM
Jun 2013
The second half of the show is definitely worth watching and i will give it a 9/10!

Eps 51 onwards was really a gem plotwise and action wise which would probably rival other top shounens out there. The plot suddenly picked up speed and I rmb enjoying the show so much during the last few arcs especially the Ark arc. Its a pity tho that many ppl get turned off by the 1st season which was too bogged down by fillers.

So my advice to just start watching from eps 51 onwards!
AllenWalker876May 9, 2016 8:39 PM
Don't give up. There is no shame in falling down! True shame is to not stand up again!

~Midorima Shintaro, Kuroko no Basket
Jul 18, 2016 6:50 AM
Mar 2015
It's average. I am around episode 90 and the anime is nothing more than average. I gave it a 6 because I liked the comedy but trust me: There are better long time shouning like Hunter x Hunter taht are worth to watch.
Aug 4, 2019 11:26 AM
Dec 2015
Loved bleach, naruto, hxh, and been longing for a good shounen to fill the void left behind. How does D.Gray Man compare to them?
Aug 4, 2019 11:44 AM

Oct 2018
S- naruto, bleach, hxh, one piece
A- black clover, fairy tail
B- dgray man?

this is my opinion btw

Aug 4, 2019 12:20 PM
Dec 2015
Stoorainclaire said:
B- dgray man?

this is my opinion btw

In black clover, when will asta stop doing his annoying loud scream? I’m on episode 1 and I can’t handle it
Aug 4, 2019 12:34 PM

Dec 2014
Yes... Is a masterpiece... It may seem a little slow or something in the first 10-20 episodes (it didn't look like that to me, but I heard this opinion from some peoples), but is a masterpiece.
Aug 4, 2019 2:12 PM

Aug 2018
Yeah, it's not bad at all.

But be prepared for a painful disappointment with the 2nd season, which is just straigh-up shit.
Aug 4, 2019 4:25 PM

Aug 2019
Yess watch it, I loved it. Totally shipped the hell out of Allen x Lavi haha
You think you’re special? You’re not. Everyone lies, everyone hides things… Nobody makes it through this life being completely honest.” – Izaya Orihara

Aug 4, 2019 4:52 PM

Jul 2007
Yes, D.Gray-man is one of the better battle shonen. Shame it's incomplete.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Aug 11, 2019 9:17 AM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Yes, but you should go read the manga.
Aug 12, 2019 2:30 AM

Jul 2013
In my opinion, it is one of the best shounens out there, and even though it has filler, it has much less than Naruto or Bleach, so if you are able to stand those two, you wouldn't have problems with D. Gray Man.

That being said, if you decide to read the manga after finishing the anime, prepare to wait for a lifetime for the series to end.
Aug 13, 2019 7:15 AM
Dec 2015
Illyricus said:
In my opinion, it is one of the best shounens out there, and even though it has filler, it has much less than Naruto or Bleach, so if you are able to stand those two, you wouldn't have problems with D. Gray Man.

That being said, if you decide to read the manga after finishing the anime, prepare to wait for a lifetime for the series to end.

Does it have insane fights like Bleach does? For example Ichigo vs Ulquiorra?
Aug 14, 2019 12:02 PM

Jul 2013
W123 said:
Illyricus said:

If you mean fights in the style of "hero is facing a very difficult situation and gains a new, awesome power" then yes, there are three or four fights with something like that. Not with something as hardcore as Hollow Ichigo of the Ulquiorra fight, however.
Aug 14, 2019 1:23 PM
Nov 2017
W123 said:
Stoorainclaire said:
B- dgray man?

this is my opinion btw

In black clover, when will asta stop doing his annoying loud scream? I’m on episode 1 and I can’t handle it

With Black Clover the 5-10 episodes are the most painfull (screaming wise), no idea if I ended up getting used to it or if it simply got less but I noticed it less and less along the episodes... I still recommend watching it as I really enjoyed it (as an cheap substitute to longer running series like HxH, Naruto and others that is).

Since in your anime list you've rated a literal shitton 9 or higher it's a bit hard to tell what you really enjoyed but I'd recommend a few other shonen such as Hajime no Ippo or Haikyuu! (both sports anime but I found them to be insanely entertaining).

In a completely different style, I also really liked Koutetsujou no Kabaneri which seems to fit into your anime list rather well.

(and the fact you haven't watched one piece is a bit confusing to me if big shonen are something you are looking for)
Aug 14, 2019 4:28 PM
Dec 2015
Illyricus said:
W123 said:

If you mean fights in the style of "hero is facing a very difficult situation and gains a new, awesome power" then yes, there are three or four fights with something like that. Not with something as hardcore as Hollow Ichigo of the Ulquiorra fight, however.

Ok so im guessing the power levels in d gray man are slightly lower then? I mean I really enjoy the explosive power in bleach like Aizen final fight , Zaraki Kenpachi vs nnoitra, etc
Aug 16, 2019 4:00 PM

Jul 2013
W123 said:
Illyricus said:

Ok so im guessing the power levels in d gray man are slightly lower then? I mean I really enjoy the explosive power in bleach like Aizen final fight , Zaraki Kenpachi vs nnoitra, etc
Powerscale wise, yeah, D. Gray Man is lower than Bleach (the strongest character of the series can destroy a city, but it is implies he's way stronger than that). But, don't worry, the series has indeed explosive battles like the Bleach ones, sometimes even gorier.
Aug 16, 2019 5:20 PM
Dec 2015
Illyricus said:
W123 said:

Powerscale wise, yeah, D. Gray Man is lower than Bleach (the strongest character of the series can destroy a city, but it is implies he's way stronger than that). But, don't worry, the series has indeed explosive battles like the Bleach ones, sometimes even gorier.

Ok I’m really tempted to start it now you got me hooked. However I’m in the middle of watching Black clover so unsure if I should drop it. How would you compare the both ?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » D.Gray-man Episode 51 Discussion

ashura - Oct 5, 2007

24 by Cammell »»
Mar 23, 6:49 AM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Episode 20 Discussion

kie_ - Sep 14, 2008

27 by Gouveiaa »»
Jan 10, 4:08 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Episode 3 Discussion

andrewsch5658 - Jan 30, 2009

27 by lovefromyani »»
Jan 10, 12:43 AM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Episode 2 Discussion

andrewsch5658 - Jan 30, 2009

41 by lovefromyani »»
Dec 26, 2023 1:40 AM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 16, 2008

83 by lovefromyani »»
Dec 25, 2023 12:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.