Forum Settings
Forums

Would you ever marry or go out with someone who smokes?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Mar 15, 2015 4:52 AM

Aug 2012
Aretch said:
that moment when you realize that most of us are single xD

And will remain single with so much intolerance ;)
Mar 15, 2015 5:00 AM
Jul 2018
I wouldn't pursue someone who smoked, and I'd hope they wouldn't hide it 'til marriage came into discussion.

I'm sure there're nice smokers, but it's such a turn-off.
Mar 15, 2015 1:57 PM

Jan 2014
Mashiro-Yuki said:

I'm sure there're nice smokers, but it's such a turn-off.

I actually think girls who smoke is a big turn on. I wouldn't mind at all if they smoke or not, it's their choice
Mar 15, 2015 2:00 PM

Aug 2014
Smokers are ugly. Lol
Mar 15, 2015 2:03 PM

Oct 2012
MechaKiryu said:
Smokers are ugly. Lol

this tends to become true

bad teeth, early aging, damaged hair, damaged skin

~ join the MAL suicide pact! ~ ~ ★☭★ ~ ~ embrace nuclear annihilation! ~
Mar 15, 2015 2:06 PM
Dec 2014
Being a non-smoker I used to think that I wouldn't like to date someone who smokes since I hate the smell of lit cigarettes. Until it happened, I was surprised myself as it wasn't as bad as I'd thought. Maybe it's just being exaggerated if you've never experienced it yourself.
But I agree, I'd try to convince them to quit too.
Mar 15, 2015 2:11 PM

Aug 2009
It's not only boys who smoke..

When men see a cigarette in my hand, they stare. I'll take it as a point of attraction.
k0k0Mar 15, 2015 2:17 PM
Mar 15, 2015 2:16 PM

Aug 2008
Definitely not.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.
Mar 15, 2015 2:30 PM

Feb 2015
Most of you would jump on the first good samaritan who shows a tiny bit of interest.That if you are not already completely asexual and prefer to live in fear and isolation for the rest of your lives. He/she could have aids, cancer, be a terrorist, whatever. When people fall in love they just don't care. I'm not saying this because of well, we being on mal and all, but yeah you get what I mean

When I wasn't a smoker I hated smokers, certainly I wouldn't have liked the idea of marrying one. But yeah for real? I think I would have not been so picky either ffs. And I am picky when it comes to my partner, nevertheless.

So the majority of you would reject a person just because of him/her being a smoker? It's shortsighted and it indicates you are not aware of shits, I don't believe you are so.. cut it and get real my dear virtual friends
RollTheJointMar 15, 2015 2:50 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 15, 2015 2:49 PM

Dec 2013
Never. Just read up what second hand smoke does to others. I rather not like someone who's bad habit is killing me as well.
Mar 15, 2015 2:57 PM

Aug 2014
I wouldn't mind too much. Would rather they didn't though.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Mar 15, 2015 3:06 PM

Dec 2012
RollTheJoint said:

So the majority of you would reject a person just because of him/her being a smoker? It's shortsighted and it indicates you are not aware of shits, I don't believe you are so.. cut it and get real my dear virtual friends
Pretending that you're chill about it doesn't make the health risks go away.
Mar 15, 2015 3:27 PM

May 2014
Only if they were extremely considerate and never lit up in front of me and went outside to smoke.
Kenjataimu mode status: 恒久
Mar 15, 2015 3:28 PM

Jun 2014
Eh it would make my willingness to go out with them go down by a lot but sure.
Mar 15, 2015 3:29 PM

Feb 2013
Couldn't care less to be honest. That won't stop me from liking someone.

Mar 15, 2015 3:30 PM

Jul 2012
I used to smoke and I've had girlfriends that smoke and even picked up smoking while together with me

Doesn't bother me
Mar 15, 2015 3:32 PM

May 2009
No. It was bad enough dealing with it my parents and going to school only to have teachers mention that I smell like smoke. I'm not going to date someone whose habit is going to prompt me to take extra steps to avoid smelling like something they're addicted to.
Mar 15, 2015 3:34 PM

Dec 2014
I don't mind it.

It's their choice, I'm not gonna force my own life choices upon them. As long as I like them as a person I couldn't give a fuck.
Mar 15, 2015 3:37 PM

Feb 2015
Ratohnhaketon said:
RollTheJoint said:

What I hate the most now is people who DON'T smoke getting paranoid about their health when they are around one single smoker in the open.
It's hypocritical, you should act accordingly and stop eating 90% of the shit you eat, flee the cities and crowded places.
Go live on a tree or even better in a sterilized white room with no conctact with the world.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 15, 2015 3:41 PM

Aug 2009
I dislike how people think smoking is the only visible cause of health defeat that plagues the society. It's not like all that fat and carb that you fill yourself with everyday playing any role in coronary heart diseases.
Mar 15, 2015 3:47 PM

Jul 2012
k0k0 said:
I dislike how people think smoking is the only visible cause of health defeat that plagues the society. It's not like all that fat and carb that you fill yourself with everyday playing any role in coronary heart diseases.

I'm sure the general consensus will be the same in a separate thread that concerns about eating unhealthy and heart diseases
Mar 15, 2015 3:50 PM

Aug 2009
wzrd said:
k0k0 said:

In a separate thread that concerns about eating unhealthy and heart diseases; I'm sure the genreal consensus will be the same

I know. My point was, they will judge you over a cigarette but not over an oil-laden, fat burger. The risks carried by the habitual use of both those substances are disastrous to health. Thus, to people who won't date someone because they think that that person has no concept of the health damage which smoking ensues.
Mar 15, 2015 3:51 PM
Dec 2010
It'd be a real shallow affection if smoking would stop me from liking my partner. Sure, I generally don't like chain-smokers because the smell gets rather pungent, but it wouldn't stop me from liking someone.
Mar 15, 2015 3:52 PM

Aug 2013
Have before and he hid it from me for a year -.- rip but i'd prefer if they didn't...
Mar 15, 2015 4:02 PM

Feb 2015
gissellebatista said:

k0k0 said:
I dislike how people think smoking is the only visible cause of health defeat that plagues the society. It's not like all that fat and carb that you fill yourself with everyday playing any role in coronary heart diseases. [...] they will judge you over a cigarette but not over an oil-laden, fat burger. The risks carried by the habitual use of both those substances are disastrous to health. Thus, to people who won't date someone because they think that that person has no concept of the health damage which smoking ensues.

Stalker-tan said:
It'd be a real shallow affection if smoking would stop me from liking my partner. Sure, I generally don't like chain-smokers because the smell gets rather pungent, but it wouldn't stop me from liking someone.

this, thanks guys. I would have liked to say all this stuff in a polite way but clearly I'm unable to.
Mar 15, 2015 4:20 PM

Aug 2008
RollTheJoint said:
gissellebatista said:

k0k0 said:
I dislike how people think smoking is the only visible cause of health defeat that plagues the society. It's not like all that fat and carb that you fill yourself with everyday playing any role in coronary heart diseases. [...] they will judge you over a cigarette but not over an oil-laden, fat burger. The risks carried by the habitual use of both those substances are disastrous to health. Thus, to people who won't date someone because they think that that person has no concept of the health damage which smoking ensues.

Stalker-tan said:

this, thanks guys. I would have liked to say all this stuff in a polite way but clearly I'm unable to.
Smoking is disgusting. Having worked electronics repair for over 5 years, seeing what it does to just the possessions of smokers is completely humbling. (Don't believe me? Look up "smoker pc" or the like.)

I don't need to surround myself with self-destructive addicts. That includes eating habits, social habits, or any other habits as well.

In the case that the person I'm in a relationship with and I have differences, we make compromises. There is no compromising with self-destruction, and it requires therapy which is outside of my capability.
Mar 15, 2015 5:10 PM

Dec 2012
RollTheJoint said:
Ratohnhaketon said:

What I hate the most now is people who DON'T smoke getting paranoid about their health when they are around one single smoker in the open.
It's hypocritical, you should act accordingly and stop eating 90% of the shit you eat, flee the cities and crowded places.
Go live on a tree or even better in a sterilized white room with no conctact with the world.
That's a completely irrelevant straw man. You don't need smoking to make a living. What I eat is actually, for the most part, healthy and good for me. But even if I wanted to chomp down greasy McDonalds all day, that's still miles better than lighting up a cigarette and poisoning everyone around me.
Mar 15, 2015 5:33 PM

Feb 2015

do you think these guys are eager to sell you healthy stuff by having huge losses? Mcdonald's it's not the point here; even the fruits and vegetables you might eat are noxious and covered with pesticides and gmo. Did you now corpses decompose at a much slower rate they normally would because of all the preservatives our food contains?
I think you are exaggerated and paranoid. If one smoker around you in the open bothers you that much you are a hypocrite. Again, escape civilisation because there so much noxious things your little paranoid heart would explode.
Come on, I bet you would jump at the first (smoker)girl who shows interest in your nerdy ass. It's k, who wouldn't?

Ofc there are health risks, this is why we banned smoking in closed places. But in the open, aren't you a bit paranoid for real? You don't need to falsely shun a person just for being a smoker.
RollTheJointMar 15, 2015 5:40 PM
Mar 15, 2015 5:39 PM

Dec 2012
RollTheJoint said:

Come on, I bet you would jump at the first (smoker)girl who shows interest in your nerdy ass.
Lol okay, this shitty pseudo-debate is over. Leave it to smokers to preach irrational nonsense to justify their self destructive habits. "Hurr I like to ruin my life so you should accept me if you don't you're not open minded."
Mar 15, 2015 5:42 PM

Feb 2015
I just love the dichotomy presented and how it reflects the typical MAL poster's perception of the world.

"Go out" or "marry" - fuck anything in between.
Mar 15, 2015 5:50 PM

Feb 2015
Ratohnhaketon said:
RollTheJoint said:

Come on, I bet you would jump at the first (smoker)girl who shows interest in your nerdy ass.
Lol okay, this shitty pseudo-debate is over. Leave it to smokers to preach irrational nonsense to justify their self destructive habits. "Hurr I like to ruin my life so you should accept me if you don't you're not open minded."

Did I hit nerve there? Sorry..

I'm not preaching anything, I think what is irrational is people getting paranoid for being close to a smoker in the freaking open. Well not irrational, hypocritical for you are living in a city, with cars and lots of co2, smokers (poor basterdz) and other emissions of crap. Does that bother you that much?

Sorry, I'm not able to politely exchange views, my bad. I will excuse myself donating you a fancy antismog mask! There, we can still hang out after all
Mar 15, 2015 5:53 PM

Dec 2012
No, empty ad hominem is just a red flag for a fruitless discussion. Keep try-harding at pretending to know who I am though, it's amusing. Here, let me laugh along.

Mar 15, 2015 5:55 PM

Aug 2008
aloricg said:
"Go out" or "marry" - fuck anything in between.
Pun intended, I assume.
Mar 15, 2015 6:13 PM

Feb 2015
Ratohnhaketon said:
No, empty ad hominem is just a red flag for a fruitless discussion. Keep try-harding at pretending to know who I am though, it's amusing. Here, let me laugh along.

dude, look at your eyes! they are all over the place...

Well, then I'm happy I could amuse you at least!
I wasn't attacking you, I was attacking the general attitude of the non-smokers who were saying stupid stuff. I was a non-smoker myself and I had exactely the same attitude. What you said seemed like a good quote to enter the discussion and make my point, which still stands: we are all hypocrites.
Mar 15, 2015 6:14 PM

Aug 2008
RollTheJoint said:
we are all hypocrites.
Speak for yourself, breddah. No dragging others down.
Mar 15, 2015 6:18 PM

Feb 2015
oh no! you are one them.

RollTheJointMar 15, 2015 6:22 PM
Mar 15, 2015 6:24 PM

Aug 2008
RollTheJoint said:
oh no! you are one them.

There is no escape, blondie
Trying to avoid the brand of hipocrisy is a bit like dodging rain, I find, although this is not a topic for which you should find me guilty of it.

I'd like to hear how you came to that conclusion.
Mar 15, 2015 6:27 PM

Oct 2010
im not even that turned off by the smoking itself

im turned off by the fact that its incredibly inefficient, expensive, pointless and at the same time unhealthy and it also makes you lose on your looks because of reasons stated by the others

being a smoker talks about the person's character and even if this is not always accurate (yeah yeah theres always exceptions , obviously), quite often the people that do it are pretty basic and stupid and weak-minded to get addicted to something like that
lots of music -
Mar 15, 2015 6:51 PM

Feb 2015
Deserada said:
RollTheJoint said:
oh no! you are one them.

There is no escape, blondie
Trying to avoid the brand of hipocrisy is a bit like dodging rain, I find, although this is not a topic for which you should find me guilty of it.

I'd like to hear how you came to that conclusion.

Those are wise words. Anyway, isn't what we are doing circlejerking? Sorry about that. Anyway, answering now might bring us back on topic. I will repeat myself and annoy you guys: don't you think that excluding people from your life because of the health risks is silly? You most certainly have a point if they chain smoke themselves to death in your bedroom or apartment but hey, if they mind you they won't be doing that anyway. I don't smoke in my house even if I don't have to care about any non-smokers living with me.
incisorr said:
im not even that turned off by the smoking itself

im turned off by the fact that its incredibly inefficient, expensive, pointless and at the same time unhealthy and it also makes you lose on your looks because of reasons stated by the others

being a smoker talks about the person's character and even if this is not always accurate (yeah yeah theres always exceptions , obviously), quite often the people that do it are pretty basic and stupid and weak-minded to get addicted to something like that

Sadly I have to partially agree with you. It's so stupid I can't understand why modern society can't defeat it for good (yeah I do know, but no need to start anti-capitalism rants here). I'm very weak-willed: completely enslaved by my vices. Smoking defining people's character is total bullshit though.
You know what? I think the step of becoming a smoker is very easy to make, even if you are the most strong-willed and health minded person ever. Once in it, defeating it is one of the most difficult things to do. It's one of the strongest addictions after all. Don't take for granted that you will be able to quit as easily as you imagine so stop feeling superior to smokers, you might be even worse if you were one.
RollTheJointMar 15, 2015 7:00 PM
Mar 16, 2015 3:01 AM

Jan 2014
It would bother me... I'd try everything I could to make them quit smoking
But I know for sure I wouldn't date/marry anyone who owns a dog. Those are lost cases.
The writer who penned Clashing Feelings. You can buy the light novel on Amazon.
Mar 16, 2015 10:03 AM

Oct 2013
Yh I would. As long as they don't smoke when they is pregnant or around the kids.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Mar 16, 2015 10:13 AM

Oct 2014
Nah, smoking is a complete and utter fucking turn off for me. I can barely be around people who smoke, much less date or marry someone who does. I have dated someone who was a smoker, in that past, though, that was a while ago, and I think it's fair to say I wouldn't do it again.

I rather not inhale all that second smoke, and I fucking hate the stench of most cigarettes and people who smoke. It makes me fucking nauseous. All that said, one never knows who they may fall for. So, if I happened to fall for someone who was a smoker, I'd more than likely urge them to quit.

I'm not so close-minded as to completely shut out the idea. In general though, I do not see it happening as I find smoking cigarettes an appalling and useless habit.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - 2 minutes ago

0 by PostMahouShoujo »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » the future of AI girlfriend technology

deg - 4 hours ago

14 by deg »»
57 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

673 by zzz »»
1 hour ago

» Are you e-famous? Are you an Internet celebrity?

DesuMaiden - Apr 18

46 by _Nette_ »»
1 hour ago

» For everyone who has signed up to this site using Protonmail, and doesn't use that address for anything else

vasipi4946 - 2 hours ago

1 by traed »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.