Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 13, 2015 8:21 AM

Jun 2014
I pronounce which ever name is more convenient. Attack on Titan over Shingeki no Kyojin, for example.
Mar 13, 2015 8:24 AM

Jul 2012
From what I can tell it mostly depends on the anime. Like Welcome to the NHK! and The Tatami Galaxy are usually referred to in english.
xEmptiness said:
"if we follow what SW is suggesting, nihilism is the conclusion"
Mar 13, 2015 9:43 AM

Apr 2011
hakuyu said:
EuroAsia said:
Why do anime-watchers pronounce anime titles in Japanese instead of English etc etc?

No. Plenty of people use their English names in Western countries.

Blue Exorcist, Attack on Titan, Fullmetal Alchemist, Terror in Resonance, Ace of the Diamond, Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE!, Your lie in April, Parasyte, just to name a few.

Wut?
Mar 13, 2015 9:56 AM

Nov 2014
yhunata said:
hakuyu said:

No. Plenty of people use their English names in Western countries.

Blue Exorcist, Attack on Titan, Fullmetal Alchemist, Terror in Resonance, Ace of the Diamond, Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE!, Your lie in April, Parasyte, just to name a few.

Wut?

An anime about magic homos.
Mar 13, 2015 10:01 AM

Oct 2014
Japanese titles are kewler :3

Like Shingeki no Kyojin is cooler than attack on titan period.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 13, 2015 10:23 AM

Jan 2014
Motherurck said:
I usually say which ever one I can remember or say easily.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Mar 13, 2015 10:28 AM

Jul 2014
For me it depends on what the English title is and if it makes sense. Things like Kuroko's Basketball, The Knight in the Area, Nanana's Buried Treasure vs Kuroko no Basket, Area no Kishi, Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin...The English titles makes sense for an English speaker.
Mar 13, 2015 10:32 AM

Mar 2013
Because sometimes people don't agree on an english translation and it's just easier this way.
Mar 13, 2015 10:38 AM

Nov 2012
Because it fits the anime.
Mar 13, 2015 10:56 AM

Mar 2014
ibearclaw said:
For me it depends on what the English title is and if it makes sense. Things like Kuroko's Basketball, The Knight in the Area, Nanana's Buried Treasure vs Kuroko no Basket, Area no Kishi, Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin...The English titles makes sense for an English speaker.
People use ''Kuroko's Basketball''?
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Mar 13, 2015 11:08 AM

Apr 2014
Comic_Sans said:
ibearclaw said:
They actually use "The basketball that Kuroko plays"
Mar 13, 2015 11:09 AM

Nov 2012
Milk_is_Special said:
Comic_Sans said:

Oh my God there are people who say that?
Mar 13, 2015 11:14 AM

Apr 2014
Shirayukishi said:
Milk_is_Special said:

Yup, makes me cringe so fucking hard...
Mar 13, 2015 11:18 AM

Oct 2012
I use whichever is more known, whatever is more convenient, and then whichever is more fun to say/type, in that order.
Mar 13, 2015 12:49 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Milk_is_Special said:
Shirayukishi said:

Yup, makes me cringe so fucking hard...
that's actually absolutely horrible...

anyways yes I just use whichever is easier to remember
Mar 13, 2015 12:51 PM

Nov 2014
Who the fuck says "The basketball that Kuroko plays"? link or didn't happen m8, that's just too retarded.
Mar 13, 2015 12:52 PM

May 2014
why??!!!

/thread
Mar 13, 2015 1:33 PM

Dec 2013
I go based on what title i heard first or which title is easier to say. (example: Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai is how i first heard the show...which is its name, but i refer to it by the english title Haganai as it's jsut easier to say. On the flip side Higurashi no naku koro ni in English is called When they Cry....which sounds kind fo dumb so i just use the japenese.)
Mar 13, 2015 2:22 PM

Mar 2014
Hulohot said:
Who the fuck says "The basketball that Kuroko plays"? link or didn't happen m8, that's just too retarded.
A lot of people, apparently
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Mar 13, 2015 2:25 PM
Jul 2018
I just go with whatever the hell everyone is calling it.
Mar 13, 2015 2:59 PM

Jun 2014
EuroAsia said:
Why do anime-watchers pronounce anime titles in Japanese instead of English etc etc?
It makes it seem like English is some kind of taboo HAHAHA. Is this some sort of Otaku-behaviour?

Cause you be a cool mamajama if you be doin it dat way.
Mar 13, 2015 3:10 PM

Apr 2014
Syndiciate said:
EuroAsia said:
It makes it seem like English is some kind of taboo HAHAHA. Is this some sort of Otaku-behaviour?

Cause you be a cool mamajama if you be doin it dat way.
#ThugLife
Mar 13, 2015 3:13 PM

Sep 2014
1) The English translations are weird
2) You get used to saying it in Japanese - especially when the site you watch/download it from has the original Japanese title.
The sun is a deadly laser
Mar 13, 2015 3:35 PM

Apr 2014
ReaperCreeper said:
I just use whatever rolls off the tongue.

Basically, although I have a slight preference for the original tittles since, well, that's how it's called where they were produced.
Same thing with films actually, I always try to use the original title, whether it's a French, Italian or whatever if possible, even if the way I pronounce it sounds weird. :)
Mar 13, 2015 3:52 PM

Aug 2014
It's pretty stupid when I want to use the name LotGH and they force me to "Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu" instead. It especially annoys me when Attack on Titan plebs try to force everyone to call it "Shinjeki no Kyojin".
Mar 13, 2015 3:57 PM

Jan 2013
EuroAsia said:
I use English titles because im not Asian, it's as simple like that.

I was born and raised in Western culture. End of story
Dam son ur so cool

So what's the point of your thread again?
Mar 13, 2015 4:28 PM

Jun 2008
EuroAsia said:

For the same reason we pronounce English titles Hollywood movies with their English name also.

EuroAsia said:

Your profile says you are bloody Norwegian. So English titles don't have any more relevance than Japanese titles to you. You are just being picky because you happened to know English and not Japanese.
Just because that is the language you learned it doesn't mean something shouldn't have a title from the country it came from.
Mar 13, 2015 5:00 PM

Nov 2014
My rule is to use whatever I see first.
Take me down and I swear that I'll come and haunt you from the afterlife!
Same thing goes if you take food from me!
Mar 13, 2015 5:01 PM

Nov 2012
It isn't, but it should be as any other disgusting language with completely arbitrary "pronunciation"
MomonoMar 13, 2015 5:04 PM
Mar 13, 2015 6:29 PM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
moeanao said:
I just happen to like the japanese name better most of the time..

^ This.

I just prefer the original source name. If it's too long I'll shorten it, but usually still in the same language as the original. Like I'll always like the sound of Kangoku Gakuen > Prison School.
"There is nothing outside of yourself that enables you to get better. Everything is within. Seek nothing outside of yourself." ⛩️

Mar 13, 2015 6:42 PM

Jan 2015
EuroAsia said:
Is this some sort of Otaku-behaviour?
lol yes, it is an otaku behaviour
i prefer pronouncing english titles in jap shows more than its native counterpart
why, coz i am not a jap and i cnt understand their language
There are exceptions though like Mushishi coz in english it means Bugmaster
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Mar 13, 2015 6:44 PM

Feb 2015
Pipersong said:
My rule is to use whatever I see first.
Mar 13, 2015 7:49 PM

Sep 2014
Monad said:
EuroAsia said:

For the same reason we pronounce English titles Hollywood movies with their English name also.

EuroAsia said:

Your profile says you are bloody Norwegian. So English titles don't have any more relevance than Japanese titles to you. You are just being picky because you happened to know English and not Japanese.
Just because that is the language you learned it doesn't mean something shouldn't have a title from the country it came from.

Norway has alot of western culture, as many of the other European countries closest to the UK. Im talking about Westernization. English is a universal language, Japanese is not. It is not normal to spit out Japanese titles in Western societies, unless you are talking with someone who understands you such as the anime-society or otakus etc. It would have caused an overload of confusion.
Picky or not, culture or not, i use English. I am western and Norway is wonderful ;)

Next time you write to me, calm down your hormones and be less a querulant
Mar 13, 2015 7:52 PM

Jan 2015
Monad said:
EuroAsia said:

EuroAsia said:

>Norway
>Not western

dude ur referring to Sweden m8
Mar 14, 2015 8:22 AM

Jun 2007
Shiratori-san said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Why don't you use the german names?

Best answer.
Or it would be, if we were on a German-speaking site.

I don't see the problem with English titles either, especially since people seem to just memorize Japanese titles without actually understanding them.
Mar 14, 2015 8:36 AM

Jan 2013
Zalis said:
Shiratori-san said:

Best answer.

I don't see the problem with English titles either, especially since people seem to just memorize Japanese titles without actually understanding them.

is it wrong to pick up girls in a dungeon?
Mar 14, 2015 2:42 PM

Sep 2014
About German.......

Elfen Lied is the first anime i freely choosed to watch in German ;)
Mar 14, 2015 3:00 PM

Dec 2013
This has been answered before.

Depending on your personal tongue:
Some titles sound better in English, some in Romaji, some are fairly equal, and some are fine just as they are or popularly intended.

Examples:
Spirited Away > Sen to Chihiro
Shingeki no Kyojin = Attack on Titan
Shinsekai yori > From the New World
Mushishi/Gintama/Cowboy Bebop/Fooly Cooly
Step Into My Mind - ##&&##&&##&&
Mar 14, 2015 3:02 PM

Aug 2014
Yeah, it really depends. It annoys me when I know the english name but I can't find it on MAL XD

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Mar 14, 2015 4:55 PM

Mar 2012
Sometimes it's easier to say it that way. 'Noucome' rolls off the tongue but 'My mental choices are interfering with my high school romantic comedy' just sounds awkward as fuck. Then you've got stuff like 'Good luck Girl' and 'Cat Planet Cuties' which is neither an accurate translation nor a good sounding name.

Most of the time though I just got by English titles because I'm not a weeaboo.
Mar 14, 2015 4:56 PM
Jan 2015
because their real title is in japanese.
Mar 14, 2015 5:00 PM

Mar 2014
SeibaaHomu said:
So all people who want to use the Spanish titles of all Spanish movies instead of the English ones are Hispanophiles?
Nico- said:
Mar 14, 2015 5:09 PM

Feb 2015
jal90 said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Why don't you use the german names?

Spanish is the way to go. Vaquero Bebop.

d
e
ad
Mar 14, 2015 5:36 PM

Dec 2013
Comic_Sans said:
SeibaaHomu said:
So all people who want to use the Spanish titles of all Spanish movies instead of the English ones are Hispanophiles?

They're Mexican'ts.
Step Into My Mind - ##&&##&&##&&
Mar 14, 2015 6:01 PM

Jan 2015
Cakedog said:
Comic_Sans said:

They're Mexican'ts.
lol
Mar 14, 2015 6:22 PM
Mar 2011
Zalis said:
Shiratori-san said:

Best answer.

i have my isuues with a alot of english titles alot are mistranslation thus fragmenting the fan base
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Mar 14, 2015 6:27 PM

Feb 2015
well, why would u use an english name for something thats rightfully known as its japan name?? its more of a tradition to call an anime by its original japanese name
Mar 14, 2015 6:30 PM
Apr 2014
NHRoccodog said:
well, why would u use an english name for something thats rightfully known as its japan name?? its more of a tradition to call an anime by its original japanese name

Because sometimes the English version is easier to say and memorize. For example, I've never heard someone say "Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei", it's almost always "Tatami Galaxy"
Mar 14, 2015 6:56 PM

Mar 2014
Cakedog said:
Comic_Sans said:

They're Mexican'ts.

lol
Nico- said:
Mar 14, 2015 7:05 PM

Jan 2008
I tend to use English titles more than Japanese titles...

...with the exception of Higurashi. Geneon fucked up the title by calling it "When they cry: Higurashi" instead of "When the Cicadas cry", which sounds much better as a title.

It's not like westerners don't know what a Cicada is.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» angry sub only users

Yorda_trico - 3 hours ago

30 by Yorda_trico »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime show good at portraying female drama/toxicity?

passtur - Today

33 by LoveLikeBlood »»
9 minutes ago

» List of characters you want to shoot

dumbandinsane - Today

22 by BetaMaleUltra »»
10 minutes ago

» Overall, do you rate anime generously or harshly? Why? ( 1 2 3 )

Rinrinka - Apr 8

108 by Lhundrup »»
28 minutes ago

» Is an anime good if...

ZeroMajor12 - 5 hours ago

16 by TRC_Randy »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.