Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 13, 2015 5:40 PM

Jan 2015
Working_Designs said:
Cakedog said:

I'm an offensive and I find this girl.

If you really think about it though, the majority of the video gaming community is male.
And 90% of gamers have bad taste.

Therefore, most guys have pretty bledgh taste.
I mean look at OP, he thinks FF13 is good.

Everyone with good taste(including myself,) know that FF6 is the best(with FF4 at a close second.)

Almost all of the "Gamer Girls" I have ever met all had the following in common:

- Loves everything Mario
- Loves everything Sonic
- Loves everything Legend of Zelda
- Only seems to care about FF10 and newer

I'm not saying that all female gamers are like this, but the ones that are make the other girls look bad.

FF9 and FF7 are both better than FF6.

The only people adamantly calling FF6 the best are hipsters who know the only thing more old school and hip than FF7 is FF6.
Mar 13, 2015 5:43 PM

Sep 2011
ChairForceOne said:
WolfChaos said:

But from what I've played of like 2 other final fantasy games, that's what it was too?

If you can thoughtlessly beat Seraph Sephiroth by pressing A you are a god.
are you joking>? FF7 is one of the easiest games in the entire franchise more so in that one that youd just button mash X to attack, sephiroth could be beaten the same way just every minute or 2 you do a half ass item or spell to heal then repeat till its over. At leats with 13 you had to change you fucking paradigm and time it right to to stagger them

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 13, 2015 5:57 PM

Dec 2013
ChairForceOne said:

^^^
Yep.
Sorry FF6 fans, but tbh there's no need to be scared of liking FF7 just because FF10 kiddies call it "overrated".

FF7, FF9 and FF12 are my favorites.
Step Into My Mind - ##&&##&&##&&
Mar 13, 2015 6:19 PM

Jun 2014
Cakedog said:
ChairForceOne said:

^^^
Yep.
Sorry FF6 fans, but tbh there's no need to be scared of liking FF7 just because FF10 kiddies call it "overrated".

FF7, FF9 and FF12 are my favorites.

FF7 IS overrated. FF6 is regarded as having the best story out of all the Final Fantasy games. Final Fantasy games were best when they were 2D. FF8 was even worse, but FF9 was okay.

Mar 13, 2015 6:27 PM

Oct 2012
The battle system is boring as hell, Hope is one of the worst characters I've ever seen in my whole life, all you're always doing is keep moving forward without any freedom at all (at the very least FFXII was very good in that aspect), the story is just about "Oh Serah, why I didn't listen to you?!" "Oh Serah, forgive me for being such a bad sister... *sniff" again and again, and even the growth system was like that, not like in FFX where you could at least chose between other paths in order to increase the character stats and such.
CursedFeinMar 13, 2015 6:30 PM
Mar 13, 2015 6:29 PM

May 2013
I tried FF13, but I was bored out of my mind with it, so I never bothered finishing it. Same happened with FF7 as well. My favourites are 9 and 10 by far.
Mar 13, 2015 6:39 PM

Jul 2013
Cakedog said:
Working_Designs said:

Everyone with good taste(including myself,) know that FF6 is the best(with FF4 at a close second.)

Almost all of the "Gamer Girls" I have ever met all had the following in common:

- Loves everything Mario
- Loves everything Sonic
- Loves everything Legend of Zelda
- Only seems to care about FF10 and newer

I'm not saying that all female gamers are like this, but the ones that are make the other girls look bad.

Not going to debate that.
I would however argue that when it comes to your claim of gals only caring about "FF10 or newer", it's not really gender-related, but age-related.

I don't know a single person 19-20 or older who would genuinely say FF10, FF10-2 FF-X2 or whatever the **(*, had any merits as an FF game, unless their taste in JRPG games are questionable to begin with.

I am 21 and I genuinely prefer FFX to FFVI, FVII, FFIX and every other one basically.
I do agree that FF-X2 is shit though.
Mar 13, 2015 6:49 PM

Aug 2012
Bought the game last year in PC. I was very excited because I can finally play it.
Spent a whole day playing the game.
2 hours in, the battle system bored me so I used auto-battle.
Another few minutes after, I didn't find the story to be really engaging.
Anoooother few minutes after, I hated the characters.. like almost all of them.

The next day, I sold it to my cousin. :3
Mar 13, 2015 6:55 PM

Dec 2013
julyan said:

The only likable character is the baby chocobo in Sazh's afro.
Step Into My Mind - ##&&##&&##&&
Mar 13, 2015 7:30 PM

Aug 2012
Cakedog said:
julyan said:

The only likable character is the baby chocobo in Sazh's afro.

Obviously I don't know what might have happened to that loli chocobo as the story goes along, but I have the impression it'll never die no matter what.
Mar 13, 2015 8:54 PM

Feb 2015
WolfChaos said:
So I bought FFXIII when it was on sale this past xmas. I finally got around to playing some of it, and I put about 3-4 hours into it so far. It has a really good story from what I've played of it, and the combat isn't that bad either. So my question is, why does everybody hate this game?

I liked it at first, but it's mind-numbingly repetitive and the story never really goes anywhere. I'm all for stories that leave questions unanswered, but FFXIII never really hooked me in in the first place.

Once I made it to the 'open world' segment only to find that it was more or less just a giant room with a pretty skybox and a bunch of quest markers laid out with no rhyme or reason . . I just couldn't care anymore. Why couldn't they have towns where you interacted with characters? There was no real purpose to the side quests.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Mar 14, 2015 6:00 AM

Dec 2014
I kinda enjoyed the story. The fact it was so linear is a dilemma for me.

I usually hate open world games with sidequests and all that because they're too long and I can't keep up with any of it. I also have the attention span of a dead cat so I always find myself getting lost and can never decide on what I want to do. Don't get me started on stat levelling.

This is why for me, personally, linear games are better because I can actually get through them without wanting to kill myself so I think it's very good from my own perspective. The trouble I have with this is that I do think the open world games are "better" despite the fact I'm awful at them.

I'd love to complete something like FFXII some day and I want FFX/X-2. I'm a scrub who's never played FF7 or anything like that so I can't really compare the stories like that. I got offered it once but I'm one of those annoying people who can't play games with shit graphics.

Don't take my opinion for anything though, I'm not an avid fan of the genre <.<

Wow I typed more than I thought I would
Mar 14, 2015 7:18 AM

Mar 2015
ChairForceOne said:
FF13 is a solid 6/10. Thats just not good enough for Final Fantasy.

I concur. I quit FF13 faster than any FF game. (Second worst I've played in my opinion would be FF12. Having the game play itself wasn't so fun, and during tougher battles controls didn't feel right for me. Then comes the MMOs...FF11 was way too difficult. 14 started off bad but was okay later.)

The last FF game I enjoyed was FF10, and mainly because of Auron and Rikku..^^
Raven_WingzMar 14, 2015 7:58 AM
Mar 14, 2015 7:22 AM

Feb 2013
Been following this thread for a few days now, but I must be one of the few people on earth who doesn't think a game is bad just because I don't connect with it.
Mar 14, 2015 7:23 AM

Mar 2015
I play and have enjoyed many games I don't "connect" with, if "emotionally" is what you meant, anyway. Otherwise I'm not sure what you meant.
Mar 14, 2015 7:31 AM
Jul 2018
So FF XIII is worse than I and II?

Sorry,but I have a hard time believing that.

Though it is downloading now,so maybe I will give my impressions,if my machine will be able to run it.
Mar 14, 2015 7:35 AM

Mar 2015
I can't even begin to imagine how to compare a game from 1987 on a machine with limited tech to the games of now, but..fair point.
Mar 14, 2015 7:40 AM

Feb 2013
Most of what I'm reading here is along the lines of:

"Oh, it's not what Final Fantasy should be." Like, what exactly SHOULD it be? The Final Fantasy games I've always played were far-fetched fairy tales set in worlds that seem to be generally plagued by the Four Horsemen.

"Oh, it's so linear that I can't stand it." Funny. Until later in the game, FFX is corridor crawling too but lots of people consistently praise it as a favorite, yet still bash FFXIII as a Corridor-fest.

"Oh, I hate that they changed the battle system" Heaven forbid if they try something different. Can you guys imagine the complaints we'd be getting today if the games stayed exactly the same as they had since the 8, or 16, or 32 bit era? I grew up playing those games. I liked them, too. But holy hell would I have dropped them faster if they didn't change anything.

Even the gripes about the story are all opinionated, but that's to be expected. It IS a story, after all. Not everyone is going to like it.

As a veteran Final Fantasy player and someone who at one time almost exclusively played RPGs, I feel I can safely say that most of the people who have the biggest "problem" with FFXIII are people like me who grew up playing the older games. Complaints about silly things like the game's design that people just don't "like." It's not that they didn't work or were broken, they just didn't like them. There's plenty about the game I didn't like too, but I still don't think it was bad.
Mar 14, 2015 7:44 AM
Jul 2018
Raven_Wingz said:
I can't even begin to imagine how to compare a game from 1987 on a machine with limited tech to the games of now, but..fair point.

I. There were remakes,PSP would be good example and that was the version I played.
II. Is it part of FF series?Yes it is,so why it should not be compared? I and II may be older,but that does not make them better,thus making claim that FF XIII is the worst kind of ridiculuous.
III. Being game mainly for PS3 and X360,FF XIII was limited by hardware as well.
Your point?
Mar 14, 2015 7:56 AM

Mar 2015
Personally I haven't played 1 and 2 (also don't plan to), so 13 remains my least favorite. You seem to have misunderstood me though. It was the worst that I personally have played. :) (Edited for clarity)
Mar 14, 2015 8:42 AM
Jul 2018
Raven_Wingz said:
Personally I haven't played 1 and 2 (also don't plan to), so 13 remains my least favorite. You seem to have misunderstood me though. It was the worst that I personally have played. :) (Edited for clarity)

Well,then then that is fine by me.
Mar 14, 2015 8:55 AM

Aug 2013
For me, XIII was a step down from XII because no free roaming and having to go into other "dimensions" as someone else said for fights.

The story wasn't great either, so the game felt like a chore more than anything until I ended up dropping it when I got stuck in Dahaka.
Mar 14, 2015 6:30 PM

Feb 2005
DejWo said:
I'd definitely say so yea. Both I and II were great for their time. I was enjoyable enough to warrant several playthroughs with different classes, and while II had a seriously fucked up levelling system, everything else was fine.
Meanwhile, the only thing XIII scores on is graphics, the character writing and world building is shallow compared to earlier FF games, the gameplay is extremely streamlined and dumbed down, and the story takes a clear backseat in favour of the characters, which doesn't leave much to praise.

From what I see, the majority of people that actually like it are pretty new to FF and RPGs in general, and so don't have a lot of experiences to compare it to. Meanwhile, we who have played a ton of this shit can easily spot the weak writing for what it is; extreme casualisation and a botched attempt at a emotionally pandering story.
Mar 14, 2015 6:37 PM
Mar 2011
Baman said:
DejWo said:
I'd definitely say so yea. Both I and II were great for their time. I was enjoyable enough to warrant several playthroughs with different classes, and while II had a seriously fucked up levelling system, everything else was fine.
Meanwhile, the only thing XIII scores on is graphics, the character writing and world building is shallow compared to earlier FF games, the gameplay is extremely streamlined and dumbed down, and the story takes a clear backseat in favour of the characters, which doesn't leave much to praise.

From what I see, the majority of people that actually like it are pretty new to FF and RPGs in general, and so don't have a lot of experiences to compare it to. Meanwhile, we who have played a ton of this shit can easily spot the weak writing for what it is; extreme casualisation and a botched attempt at a emotionally pandering story.

II is one 2nd fave FF beihnd V
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Mar 14, 2015 6:45 PM

Aug 2012
NTAD said:
Been following this thread for a few days now, but I must be one of the few people on earth who doesn't think a game is bad just because I don't connect with it.

I rarely get "connected" with video games, so that's not the reason why I hated FF13. The story is bad (this is obviously a matter of preference; explaining why I hate the story in details would take too long - and I'm too tired to explain those things again), and the reason why I play FF games is because of the story and not the combat or OST... or graphics if I may add.

The combat, whether people see it as old or new mechanic doesn't matter; it isn't really fun. You can literally just watch them fight each other - it didn't pose any challenge (for me at least). And I don't mind if it's a turn base or real time combat, I enjoy both. But as I said, FF13's combat just didn't entertain me.

OST.. I don't even remember how the game sounds like. Perhaps because I only played it for a day, so I won't comment much about it.
Mar 14, 2015 6:52 PM

Nov 2011
DejWo said:

Though it is downloading now,so maybe I will give my impressions,if my machine will be able to run it.

Raven_Wingz said:
FF 2 sucked but FF 1 was quite good for its time though it pailed in comparison to DQ 3.
Mar 14, 2015 6:55 PM
Mar 2011
Waifu_Strangler said:
DejWo said:

Raven_Wingz said:
FF 2 sucked but FF 1 was quite good for its time though it pailed in comparison to DQ 3.

i love II
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Mar 14, 2015 6:56 PM

Nov 2011
DejWo said:
Raven_Wingz said:

I. There were remakes,PSP would be good example and that was the version I played.
II. Is it part of FF series?Yes it is,so why it should not be compared? I and II may be older,but that does not make them better,thus making claim that FF XIII is the worst kind of ridiculuous.
III. Being game mainly for PS3 and X360,FF XIII was limited by hardware as well.
Your point?

FF 1 on the NES > FF 13
Mar 14, 2015 7:35 PM

Jul 2012
There are no bad mainline Final Fantasy games, and XIII is one of the better ones.
The characters feel a lot more real in this than most FF games I've come across.
ChairForceOne said:
The combat for 3/4 of the game is press A and walk down corridor.
I highly recomend turning off Auto-Battle as the default.
Aug 25, 2016 6:15 PM

Aug 2013
NTAD said:
Most of what I'm reading here is along the lines of:

"Oh, it's not what Final Fantasy should be." Like, what exactly SHOULD it be? The Final Fantasy games I've always played were far-fetched fairy tales set in worlds that seem to be generally plagued by the Four Horsemen.

"Oh, it's so linear that I can't stand it." Funny. Until later in the game, FFX is corridor crawling too but lots of people consistently praise it as a favorite, yet still bash FFXIII as a Corridor-fest.

"Oh, I hate that they changed the battle system" Heaven forbid if they try something different. Can you guys imagine the complaints we'd be getting today if the games stayed exactly the same as they had since the 8, or 16, or 32 bit era? I grew up playing those games. I liked them, too. But holy hell would I have dropped them faster if they didn't change anything.

Even the gripes about the story are all opinionated, but that's to be expected. It IS a story, after all. Not everyone is going to like it.

As a veteran Final Fantasy player and someone who at one time almost exclusively played RPGs, I feel I can safely say that most of the people who have the biggest "problem" with FFXIII are people like me who grew up playing the older games. Complaints about silly things like the game's design that people just don't "like." It's not that they didn't work or were broken, they just didn't like them. There's plenty about the game I didn't like too, but I still don't think it was bad.
100% this. Good post.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Favorite gaming cover art?

_Nette_ - 3 hours ago

0 by _Nette_ »»
3 hours ago

» What is your favorite Elder Scrolls game?

Ex-Aid - Yesterday

4 by _Nette_ »»
3 hours ago

» Is MAL ever going to update it's UI?

Pineapplepirate - Dec 19, 2020

31 by Timeline_man »»
7 hours ago

» Rate The Last Game You Finished. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Crzy_Minus - Apr 23, 2015

3719 by creepylurker »»
Yesterday, 2:02 PM

» total games on your steam library

deg - Feb 22

49 by SwordBreaker36 »»
Yesterday, 1:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.