Forum Settings
Forums

Do you consider the term 'f**' offensive still in this era?

New
Mar 6, 2015 8:37 AM

Mar 2012
The word 'Fag' or 'Faggot' has been used more often as a generic derogatory term to someone you dislike rather against homosexual, and usually doesn't have anything to do with Homophobia. Mostly now it's used in place of "stupid" or other general curse words.

What's your stance on this?
End Zionazism
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 6, 2015 8:38 AM

Aug 2014
not in my town
Mar 6, 2015 8:38 AM

Aug 2013
I'm not a faggot with fragile emotion bones, so no.
Mar 6, 2015 8:39 AM

Oct 2012
profanities are for cunts

~ join the MAL suicide pact! ~ ~ ★☭★ ~ ~ embrace nuclear annihilation! ~
Mar 6, 2015 8:39 AM

Feb 2012
Used to use it on certain occasions.
Mar 6, 2015 8:40 AM

Mar 2014
Well, it's hard to tell.
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]
Mar 6, 2015 8:40 AM

Mar 2014
i only call people I like fags
Mar 6, 2015 8:41 AM
Jul 2018

Words without context aren't offensive. Unless you're an over-sensitive faggot. Like the celebrities who wanted to ban the word 'bossy'.
Mar 6, 2015 8:41 AM
Jul 2018
Mikasa said:
What's your stance on this?

Jodan-gamae.
Mar 6, 2015 8:44 AM

Jul 2014
It tells more about the person using such words than it does about the person those words are directed to.

Personally I don't give a fuck, I don't get all uppity over a word, be it faggot or any other word.
Mar 6, 2015 8:45 AM

Jan 2015
Well obviously if you say it to a homosexual person it is offensive, but otherwise I don't think "fag" is any different from other regular swearwords.
Mar 6, 2015 8:52 AM
Jul 2018
Sakuyae said:
Well obviously if you say it to a homosexual person it is offensive, but otherwise I don't think "fag" is any different from other regular swearwords.

No, it's not obvious.
I know a couple of homosexual people, and they aren't offended by 'fag'. In fact, when they address one another, they use that very same word.
Just because some weak-minded people who belong to a specific group of people are offended by a single solitary word without any context, doesn't mean that the rest of that group are.

Same goes for any group really.
Mar 6, 2015 8:53 AM
Mar 6, 2015 8:55 AM

Jan 2014
I try not to use words like that, it's unprofessional and I think it's bad to get in the habit of using certain words, you might let it slip out when you really shouldn't.
Mar 6, 2015 8:56 AM

Jan 2015
GreenSoap said:
Sakuyae said:

No, it's not obvious.
I know a couple of homosexual people, and they aren't offended by 'fag'. In fact, when they address one another, they use that very same word.
Just because some weak-minded people who belong to a specific group of people are offended by a single solitary word without any context, doesn't mean that the rest of that group are.

Same goes for any group really.

What? So if someone says fag to homosexuals with bad intention but the gay person doesn't consider it offensive, then it isn't?
okay
Mar 6, 2015 8:57 AM

Nov 2009
Mar 6, 2015 9:00 AM

Nov 2013
lol dem poll results, good job MAL
Mar 6, 2015 9:03 AM

Jul 2012
I'm half fag, and if black people can use the N-word I can use the fag word.

I only use it to refer to myself being bi though, or sometimes I'll call a homosexual or bisexual friend a faggot jestingly. I don't want to make someone I don't know feel disrespected.
xEmptiness said:
"if we follow what SW is suggesting, nihilism is the conclusion"
Mar 6, 2015 9:04 AM

Oct 2012
Space-Wizard said:

I only use it to refer to myself being bi though, or sometimes I'll call a homosexual or bisexual friend a faggot jestingly. I don't want to make someone I don't know feel disrespected.

are black homosexuals niggots or faggers?

Mar 6, 2015 9:05 AM
Jul 2018
Sakuyae said:

What? So if someone says fag to homosexuals with bad intention but the gay person doesn't consider it offensive, then it isn't?
okay

'
If the gay person doesn't consider it offensive, it isn't. Words are subjective. They are used in different ways everywhere.

Me, I'm a nerd. Do I find it offensive? No. Is it considered offensive by the status quo? Yes.
If someone calls me a nerd, I simply don't care. Because it has no context what-so-ever. It's like if I call you an old anime shitfucker now, are you offended? You do have Yu Yu Hakusho as a fav. Do you see where I'm coming from? It has no context! It's just words.

Watch the video I linked in a previous post, and you'll hopefully understand :/

RyanEnsign said:
lol dem poll results, good job MAL

It is the only good option
Mar 6, 2015 9:10 AM

Jul 2012
Lost_Future said:
Space-Wizard said:

You're implying that you have to be black to say "nigger"?

No, but I'm implying you might get your ass kicked if you aren't black and say it in front of the wrong people.

Same with the word fag. If I saw some redneck legitimately try to shame a gay person by calling them a faggot I'd start a fight.
xEmptiness said:
Mar 6, 2015 9:12 AM

Feb 2014
I use it freely but only in jest. Not gonna be a bully

Mar 6, 2015 9:15 AM
Jul 2018
Space-Wizard said:

Why refer to it as "The N-word" when it has the same fucking meaning? Not only does it allude to 'nigger', it is 'nigger'! It's just an abbreviation! They are the same.

I find it childish. What's the point of having words we can't use anyways? Is society that easily offended?
Mar 6, 2015 9:16 AM

Mar 2012
GreenSoap said:
Space-Wizard said:

Why refer to it as "The N-word" when it has the same fucking meaning? Not only does it allude to 'nigger', it is 'nigger'. It's just an abbreviation.

I find it childish. What's the point of having words we can't use anyways? Is society that easily offended?

He's being niggardly when it comes to letters I guess.

I think anyone can use that word imo. People should stop getting offended easily.
End Zionazism
Mar 6, 2015 9:18 AM

Jan 2015
GreenSoap said:
Sakuyae said:

okay

'
If the gay person doesn't consider it offensive, it isn't. Words are subjective. They are used in different ways everywhere.

That's just dumb. If someone clearly means it in a racist/offensive way then it is. Just because the insulted one didn't consider it as an insult, that will not change the fact that it was meant to be offensive.
Mar 6, 2015 9:22 AM

Jul 2012
GreenSoap said:

Why refer to it as "The N-word" when it has the same fucking meaning? Not only does it allude to 'nigger', it is 'nigger'! It's just an abbreviation! They are the same.

Mikasa said:

He's being niggardly when it comes to letters I guess.

I think anyone can use that word imo. People should stop getting offended easily.

I'm being respectful, sorry of that's an issue. I agree that people shouldn't be offended by language, but we live in an age where bigotry is a real thing and it's sad. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings on here, but I'm also okay with saying the word "nigger" out of context, I just happened to use "n-word" in that example for no particular reason.

You guys are funny. You attacked somebody for not saying the word nigger.

Lost_Future said:

Unfortunately, kicking my ass might turn out to be harder than it may look judging by the internet.
People choose to get offended. Words only have power if you give it to them.

are you implying you have a problem with gay people and enjoy bashing them publicly? that seems to be what you're implying. I'm not denying that words only have power when it's given to them, that's irrelevant, I'm just wondering if you're a bigot.
xEmptiness said:
Mar 6, 2015 9:24 AM

Mar 2012
I was not attacking you, just pointing out your tendency to write shorter words.

That said, I don't see how using the terms f** and n*** are such a big issue despite the whole 'freedom of speech' stuff that spawned from the Charlie Hebdo incident just weeks ago.
End Zionazism
Mar 6, 2015 9:34 AM

Nov 2008
Fag, no unless you are attacking them based on their sexuality.

Mar 6, 2015 9:36 AM
Jul 2018
Sakuyae said:

That's just dumb. If someone clearly means it in a racist/offensive way then it is. Just because the insulted one didn't consider it as an insult, that will not change the fact that it was meant to be offensive.

Just because it's meant to be insulting, doesn't mean that it is. Is nerd insulting to you? Well, it was meant to be so therefor it is!
'Fag' might be considered an insult by a lot of the aforementioned easily offended fucks, but that doesn't mean that everyone is offended by it.

I find people who are offended by words like 'fag' just "meh". They're not the kind of people I would want to be friends with, that's for sure.

You remind me of the incident where two male african americans came to a bar, and the bartender asked them "So, what would you like to drink, boys?"
The word 'boy' was used to refer to african slaves back in the day. These two gentlemen felt offended by this so they sued, not only the bartender, but the company too. Do you think the bartender meant that as an insult?

Space-Wizard said:

I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings on here, but I'm also okay with saying the word "nigger" out of context, I just happened to use "n-word" in that example for no particular reason.

I get you. But I think it's bullshit that we live in a world where words are like the deadliest fucking weapon to some. Holy fuck.

Lost_Future said:

No, I'm implying that if you're easily offended - stay at home.

Words of wisdom.
Mar 6, 2015 9:37 AM

Jan 2013
Fuck the fucking fuckers. Oh wrong F word.
Mar 6, 2015 9:39 AM

Jul 2014
I call ppl fegget all the time
Mar 6, 2015 9:42 AM

Oct 2012
Mikasa said:
I was not attacking you, just pointing out your tendency to write shorter words.

That said, I don't see how using the terms f** and n*** are such a big issue despite the whole 'freedom of speech' stuff that spawned from the Charlie Hebdo incident just weeks ago.

you're right that they both fall under freedom of speech
i think total freedom of speech must include speech for or against any group, and words like faggot and nigger

faggot and nigger are so-called "hate speech" though, and against things people can't change (supposedly)
charlie hebdo was offensive but not hateful, from what i read, and pushing for social changes

Mar 6, 2015 9:53 AM
Jul 2018
Involtus said:

charlie hebdo was offensive but not hateful, from what i read, and pushing for social changes

True, Charlie Hebdo was not hateful. Their publication was meant to be offensive though. I do not agree with their methodology to criticise Islam, but nontheless, it was effectful. The terrorists were to cowardice to be able to take someone bashing their religion without any sort of substructure. If they actually believed dead heartedly on their prophet, they shouldn't even care that someone made a picture of him.
"You can believe what you believe, but I'll believe what I'll believe."
Mar 6, 2015 9:56 AM

Jan 2015
GreenSoap said:
Involtus said:

True, Charlie Hebdo was not hateful. Their publication was meant to be offensive though. I do not agree with their methodology to criticise Islam, but nontheless, it was effectful. The terrorists were to cowardice to be able to take someone bashing their religion without any sort of substructure. If they actually believed dead heartedly on their prophet, they shouldn't even care that someone made a picture of him.
"You can believe what you believe, but I'll believe what I'll believe."

Tbh Charlie Hebdo had to be offensive, that was why it was selling a little bit before the horrible incident. But honestly I know there is free speech and all, but why insult a whole group with lots of oversensitive people if we all know the outcome will be terrible?
Mar 6, 2015 10:06 AM
Jul 2018
Sakuyae said:

Tbh Charlie Hebdo had to be offensive, that was why it was selling a little bit before the horrible incident. But honestly I know there is free speech and all, but why insult a whole group with lots of oversensitive people if we all know the outcome will be terrible?

True. And they sold a hell of a lot more after the incident. But I mean, it's the muslims' fault. If they can't be criticized, it shows that their faith isn't concrete. It shows that they're afraid of people questioning it. They basically wanna live in their own dream world.

As I said before, I do not agree with Charlie Hebdo's methodology of criticizing Islam.
Mar 6, 2015 10:06 AM

May 2009
I don't use it and don't like it. It has less to do with its meaning and more to do with the word itself, i.e. the way it sounds, the way it looks. It's just ugly. I also generally avoid profanities except "fuck" and its derivatives.

I believe the only time I've ever used "faggot" was when I linked someone to this.
Mar 6, 2015 10:07 AM

Nov 2013
no. I'm gay and I use the word all the time. And it doesn't make any difference if anyone else uses it either. It's just a word after all

Lost_Future said:
Space-Wizard said:

You're implying that you have to be black to say "nigger"?

that's what black people imply when it comes to who uses and who doesn't use the word nigger
Mar 6, 2015 10:10 AM
Jul 2018
monarchyanarchy said:
no. I'm gay and I use the word all the time. And it doesn't make any difference if anyone else uses it either. It's just a word after all

Thank you.
Mar 6, 2015 10:10 AM

Oct 2012
if you don't want to be offended by charlie hebdo then don't read it.. people who get offended by it are people who want to be offended by something, because they've bought into the modern nonsense that being offended constitutes a valid point in an argument, and use it to justify their beliefs

imagine going on the internet, clicking an advertisement for 'get cyberbullied today! forums', and then complaining they offended you

Sakuyae said:
but why insult a whole group with lots of oversensitive people if we all know the outcome will be terrible?

so that future generations will remain free to do so, and so that a culture of oversensitivity isn't encouraged by the readers
it's not just cartoonists going up to muslims and waving 'offensive' pictures in their faces, it's a publication

no idea can be sacred, and religions are just ideas
everybody is free to have ideas, but this has to mean ideas which go against other ideas too -- even if they're religions
otherwise dangerous ideas can flourish and new interpretations of schools of thought will suffer

but the people that shot them were dumb.. maybe hebdo gave them too much credit
all they did by shooting up the building was teach foreigners what charlie hebdo was, and promote free speech activism and slacktivism

Mar 6, 2015 10:46 AM

Aug 2013
Faggot is far too fun a sounding word not to say.
Mar 6, 2015 11:13 AM

Aug 2014
I live in the south... so no
Mar 6, 2015 11:14 AM
Mar 2013
faggot is a type of food. faggots taste awful though. The homosexual connotation was added later.
Mar 6, 2015 11:16 AM

Dec 2013
Moog- said:
I'm not a faggot with fragile emotion bones, so no.

Mar 2008
I wonder how faggot tastes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_(food)

Jan 2014
Yes. profanity is damn profanity!
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Mar 6, 2015 11:20 AM
Feb 2014
Why should it be offensive?
Mar 6, 2015 12:06 PM

Feb 2015
Fuck no.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Mar 6, 2015 12:12 PM

Apr 2013
Anything that comes out the mouth of a stranger with the intent to insult is offensive.
Mar 6, 2015 12:21 PM

Jul 2012
I see it used often to replace the word "pussy" like "oh stop acting like a girl, you fag!" which is kind of offensive even if I'm not a guy or gay.
Mar 6, 2015 12:37 PM

Mar 2012
mayukachan said:
I see it used often to replace the word "pussy" like "oh stop acting like a girl, you fag!" which is kind of offensive even if I'm not a guy or gay.

Wrong.

It's not used like that anymore.
End Zionazism
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What's the best way to translate Yu-Yu-Hakusho's title

AlphaMaleScotty - 11 hours ago

7 by tsukareru »»
23 minutes ago

» What if Burger is on a stick?

Dragevard - Feb 10, 2022

12 by tsukareru »»
26 minutes ago

Poll: » thoughts on social experiments?

deg - 5 hours ago

6 by deg »»
29 minutes ago

» The level of NoLifer / NEET / Hiki you are?

IpreferEcchi - 9 hours ago

13 by tsukareru »»
30 minutes ago

» do you like the fandom of your fave musical artists ??

ame - Apr 17

19 by tsukareru »»
36 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.