Forum Settings
Forums
#1
Mar 4, 2015 3:32 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 1394
Seriously, what is it?
 
#2
Mar 4, 2015 3:33 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 7147
some stupid plot mechanism that changes the way the show goes
greatest example : ending of oreimo
 
#3
Mar 4, 2015 3:33 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 1394
KLKfanboy said:
some stupid plot mechanism that changes the way the show goes
greatest example : ending of oreimo


You'll have to be more specific or go with a more accessible example.
 
#4
Mar 4, 2015 3:34 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 13777
When I shove my fist up my ass and pull out a turd.

This is a metaphor.
 
#5
Mar 4, 2015 3:34 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 24367
An important event that seemed like it came out of nowhere, that changes the plot without foreshadowing.


An Ass Pull is a moment when the writers pull something out of thin air in a less-than-graceful narrative development, violating the Law of Conservation of Detail by dropping a plot-critical detail in the middle, or near the end of their narrative without Foreshadowing
 
#6
Mar 4, 2015 3:35 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 744
It's a plot twist that is not rationally expainable, and it feels like the creators pulled it straight out of their asses.
 
#7
Mar 4, 2015 3:37 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 24367
aloricg said:
KLKfanboy said:
some stupid plot mechanism that changes the way the show goes
greatest example : ending of oreimo


You'll have to be more specific or go with a more accessible example.

Those moments where Ryuoko, keeps changing her powers, on a whim
though the show much like TTGL, does it on purpose, and are not really logical or have established rules for that to matter.

A serious example is in Fairy Tail, where Natsu defeats the big bad of the arc, through the power of friendship, and nothing else, even though up until his win, he is clearly losing the fight and can't keep up.

Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titans Spoiler!
Modified by Zelot, Mar 6, 2015 5:38 AM
 
#8
Mar 4, 2015 3:39 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 479
Deus ex Machina/Diabolus ex Machina, depending on who benefits (heroes/villains)
Bittenfeld said:
To tell you my honest feelings, Admiral Müller, as the groom at a wedding ceremony, the Kaiser is simply just a handsome man, I'm afraid to say. But as the supreme fleet admiral who leads entire fleets, he's really a godly person. Don't you think so, too?
Müller said:
I think he's quite godly as a groom, too.
 
#9
Mar 4, 2015 3:39 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 1200
quentariel said:
It's a plot twist that is not rationally expainable, and it feels like the creators pulled it straight out of their asses.

Sounds reasonable, i'll go with this explanation.
 
Mar 4, 2015 3:42 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 24367
He did see KLK ''dude'', and I like how you repeated literally what I said, in order to defend KLK

''though the show much like TTGL, does it on purpose, and are not really logical or have established rules for that to matter''

How lazy. Seriously...
 
Mar 4, 2015 3:46 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 24367
NERigby96 said:
Deus ex Machina/Diabolus ex Machina, depending on who benefits (heroes/villains)

Only if they are cornered
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_ex_machina

KLKfanboy said:
[img]http://puu.sh/glVRE/474c98f753.png[/ig]

but i admit sorry, i misread it somehow

http://i.imgur.com/lrdUxTC.png
Now go back to your forum games.
 
Mar 4, 2015 3:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 7147
I don't quite understand your aggressive posts, but whatever, I'm going back in there indeed.
 
Mar 4, 2015 3:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 1394
I dropped both of them..
 
Mar 4, 2015 3:49 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 15453
Asspull in Bleach, Ichigo's mysterious power when:

Ichigo vs Kenpachi
Ichigo vs Ulquiorra final round

Asspull in SAO, Kirito's mysterious power when:
Kirito vs "SAO's final boss"
 
Mar 4, 2015 3:50 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 1394
Does it apply exclusively to boss battles..?
 
Mar 4, 2015 3:52 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 7147
aloricg said:
Does it apply exclusively to boss battles..?


No, not necessarily, it doesn't have to be anything about power at all. Basically something that changes the expected outcome of a situation/fight or whatever explained very poorly and that feels forced.
 
Mar 4, 2015 3:53 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 4861
A Deus Ex Machina without foreshadowing or plot coherence.

Yugioh Season 1 episode 49.

Playing a brand new game that he's only starting to learn the rules for, yugi looks like he has no way of winning until with one (or two) turn(s) left he summons a monster that happens to have a completely broken special ability allowing it to teleport across the playing field and instagib the opponents 'heart points', winning what would have otherwise been an unwinnable game.

Now that's an asspull.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
 
Mar 4, 2015 3:54 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 1394
Come to think of it.. do the yugioh "games" have any real rules...?

I feel like that shit is entirely made up.
 
Mar 4, 2015 3:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 7147
I don't know much the anime follows but the actual TCG game does have its rules and a lot of fans, I think it's the second most popular TCG after Magic the Gathering.
 
Mar 4, 2015 3:57 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 1394
KLKfanboy said:
I don't know much the anime follows but the actual TCG game does have its rules and a lot of fans, I think it's the second most popular TCG after Magic the Gathering.


So i guess the show is following the rules of the real game..?

I know in Wixoss it seems entirely arbitrary.
 
Mar 4, 2015 3:58 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 24367
icirate said:
A Deus Ex Machina without foreshadowing or plot coherence.

All DEM are asspulls, but not all asspulls are DEM.
 
Mar 4, 2015 4:02 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 1246
Heart of the cards bitch.

 
Mar 4, 2015 4:03 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 24367
aloricg said:
KLKfanboy said:
I don't know much the anime follows but the actual TCG game does have its rules and a lot of fans, I think it's the second most popular TCG after Magic the Gathering.


So i guess the show is following the rules of the real game..?

Very loosely.
 
Mar 4, 2015 4:03 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 1394
About DEM.. people tend to think of them as "pulled out of ass to give good ending" but they (and the term) originate from the storytelling/theater going back to the overall power of the gods or God.

"Your petty human BS?!? God(s) say F that! Blam! Solved!"

Which was the intended moral of the story all along.
 
Mar 4, 2015 4:03 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 4861
aloricg said:
Come to think of it.. do the yugioh "games" have any real rules...?

I feel like that shit is entirely made up.

Yeah. Certainly wasn't the only example I could have picked. Ep 49's asspull is next level though.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
 
Mar 4, 2015 4:05 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 1394
I maded a thread to discuss the reality/nonreality of "games" in animes.
Just so you all know.
 
Mar 4, 2015 4:06 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 479
tsudecimo said:
NERigby96 said:
Deus ex Machina/Diabolus ex Machina, depending on who benefits (heroes/villains)

Only if they are cornered
Well, yeah. Why else would there be an asspull? :P
aloricg said:
Does it apply exclusively to boss battles..?
Not at all. A good example is in Bunny Drop (manga only):
Bittenfeld said:
To tell you my honest feelings, Admiral Müller, as the groom at a wedding ceremony, the Kaiser is simply just a handsome man, I'm afraid to say. But as the supreme fleet admiral who leads entire fleets, he's really a godly person. Don't you think so, too?
Müller said:
I think he's quite godly as a groom, too.
 
Mar 4, 2015 4:14 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 479
aloricg said:
About DEM.. people tend to think of them as "pulled out of ass to give good ending" but they (and the term) originate from the storytelling/theater going back to the overall power of the gods or God.

"Your petty human BS?!? God(s) say F that! Blam! Solved!"

Which was the intended moral of the story all along.
Lazy writing, though :P
Bittenfeld said:
To tell you my honest feelings, Admiral Müller, as the groom at a wedding ceremony, the Kaiser is simply just a handsome man, I'm afraid to say. But as the supreme fleet admiral who leads entire fleets, he's really a godly person. Don't you think so, too?
Müller said:
I think he's quite godly as a groom, too.
 
Mar 4, 2015 4:17 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 2383
Probably that moment when Jaden got so tired of pulling never before seen fusions out of his ass that he decided to fuse Neos with other people's monsters.

Cmon, Tsuji. Even I have limits. Shit was ridiculous.
 
Mar 4, 2015 4:19 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 1394
NERigby96 said:
aloricg said:
About DEM.. people tend to think of them as "pulled out of ass to give good ending" but they (and the term) originate from the storytelling/theater going back to the overall power of the gods or God.

"Your petty human BS?!? God(s) say F that! Blam! Solved!"

Which was the intended moral of the story all along.
Lazy writing, though :P


But originally it was intended to show the vast superiority of the power of the gods over people's lives. Now please deposit your offering at the alter...
 
Mar 4, 2015 4:21 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 1872

Sword Art Online
added the fifth most popular anime onto this site
 
Mar 4, 2015 4:23 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 1394
Sometimes I feel like i'm the only person who watched all of SAO but didnt commit much of any of it to memory.. what exactly happened again?
 
Mar 4, 2015 4:24 AM
Hug Addict <3

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 29328
you grab someone's asshair with a pair of pliers and pull hard

A cuddle a day keeps the pouting away~
"Holding hands is just the first step to getting pregnant"
 
Mar 4, 2015 4:26 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 479
HaXXspetten said:
you grab someone's asshair with a pair of pliers and pull hard
You saw that video too?!?!
Bittenfeld said:
To tell you my honest feelings, Admiral Müller, as the groom at a wedding ceremony, the Kaiser is simply just a handsome man, I'm afraid to say. But as the supreme fleet admiral who leads entire fleets, he's really a godly person. Don't you think so, too?
Müller said:
I think he's quite godly as a groom, too.
 
Mar 4, 2015 4:26 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 7317
aloricg said:
Sometimes I feel like i'm the only person who watched all of SAO but didnt commit much of any of it to memory.. what exactly happened again?


Iirc he lost all his health and then revived somehow, he then killed the guy with the invincible stat.

For reasons.

The book might have explained it better, I've never read it.
 
Mar 4, 2015 4:28 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 13295
aloricg said:
NERigby96 said:
Lazy writing, though :P


But originally it was intended to show the vast superiority of the power of the gods over people's lives. Now please deposit your offering at the alter...


They happen even if Gods aren't said to be anywhere tho.


 
Mar 4, 2015 4:30 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 114
Fairy Tail is the most guilty here. You can actually see Erza's pic in the definition of Asspull. She had no business beating Ikaruga, Azuma and Minerva and after a sprinkle of B.S. here and there, she stands victorious as shit.
 
Mar 4, 2015 4:34 AM
Hug Addict <3

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 29328
NERigby96 said:
HaXXspetten said:
you grab someone's asshair with a pair of pliers and pull hard
You saw that video too?!?!
uhm...

A cuddle a day keeps the pouting away~
"Holding hands is just the first step to getting pregnant"
 
Mar 4, 2015 4:37 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 496
The end of every arc of Fairy Tail
 
Mar 4, 2015 4:43 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 15453
Kenshiro's techniques could be considered as asspulls too, the reasonable ones they are.

Or.....a freaking cute lolis
 
Mar 4, 2015 4:44 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 24367
Jojo makes asspulls funny and entertaining.
 
Mar 4, 2015 4:45 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 5246
A plot twist/mechanism that makes no sense and only there thanks to the author's incompetence as a writer.
Modified by Zees, Mar 4, 2015 5:55 AM
 
Mar 4, 2015 4:46 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 24367
It has nothing to do with being a plot twist.
 
Mar 4, 2015 4:46 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 11303
KLKfanboy said:
some stupid plot mechanism that changes the way the show goes
so is it like a deux ex machina?
 
Mar 4, 2015 4:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 1394
AzureDaora said:
aloricg said:


But originally it was intended to show the vast superiority of the power of the gods over people's lives. Now please deposit your offering at the alter...


They happen even if Gods aren't said to be anywhere tho.


But the idea was introduced when people were god(s) fearing. Not everything was written last thursday.
 
Mar 4, 2015 5:00 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 3644
"An Ass Pull is a moment when the writers pull something out of thin air in a less-than-graceful narrative development, violating the Law of Conservation of Detail by dropping a plot-critical detail in the middle, or near the end of their narrative without Foreshadowing or dropping a Chekhov's Gun earlier on."

It applies to every single genre out there. But since it seems to be more common with battles you can also use the battle-specific defintion:

"This can also be used to describe when, in a TV show or movie, a character comes up with a never-before-seen power just in the nick of time, therefore winning the fight. An ass pull either has a completely unbelievable explanation or the writer conveniently forgets to add one in."
 
Mar 4, 2015 5:03 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 11091
Asspull example (Naruto):

 
Mar 4, 2015 5:52 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 2035
Its yaoi manga,duhh...
 
Mar 4, 2015 5:53 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 11091
amateur said:
Its yaoi manga,duhh...
Lulz....
 
Mar 4, 2015 6:08 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 17183
KLKfanboy said:
I don't quite understand your aggressive posts, but whatever, I'm going back in there indeed.


He hates KLK. Also has double standards for what an asspull is. If he'd paid attention, he'd have discovered that life fibers have the ability to transform....from episode 1. Go figure.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
I conclude that this theme is in fact good!
 
Top
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »