Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 3, 2015 2:36 PM
Oct 2014
Inspired by another thread, I noticed that many people thought that honesty and telling the truth was always the best or at least right thing to do.
But is honesty really more valuable than anything else? Even over loyalty, or any other virtue?

Let's say a friend did tell me something in trust. He or she says that I can't let anyone else to know what he or she said, nor that I actually know about what he or she has told me.
Later, a third person asks me if I know about what my friend earlier told me. Should I lie, or be honest? (Even saying that "you do know something - but can't tell", is a betrayal).

Discuss, and bring up other examples.

Mar 3, 2015 2:38 PM

Dec 2013
It's circumstantial, just like everything else in life, there really isn't anything to discuss.
I am on the edge ! The edge of the edgiest edge ever edged by edgekind !
я умерте ужасну депрессии...

Mar 3, 2015 2:38 PM

Oct 2010
friendship built on lies is pathetic

honesty is more important than anything ,even loyalty, that way when you're loyal to someone or when you love someone you know its pure and honest and sincere and thats the most important thing
lots of music -
Mar 3, 2015 2:41 PM

Jul 2014
Not always.

Mar 3, 2015 2:42 PM

Feb 2015
There are always exceptions.
Mar 3, 2015 2:43 PM

Mar 2014
Friendship and honesty is magic
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Mar 3, 2015 2:43 PM

Jan 2013
Sometimes telling a lie is the right thing to do.
Mar 3, 2015 2:45 PM

Sep 2014
MorsPulchra said:
It's circumstantial, just like everything else in life, there really isn't anything to discuss.
Mar 3, 2015 2:45 PM

Jan 2015
If breaking a promise to someone else or could potentially really harm the other person, lying might be the the better choice.

In situations where you can avoid lying, you should tell the truth but gently/politely

It really all depends on the situation
Mar 3, 2015 2:47 PM
Jan 2014
Lying helps you, being honest not so much.
Mar 3, 2015 2:47 PM

Apr 2012
Touzel said:
MorsPulchra said:

Mar 3, 2015 2:50 PM

Dec 2013
Lying is always wrong.
So says Kant.
I don't agree with him though. Honesty isn't always a good thing. & How necessary a lie is depends on how bad the consequences of honesty are, in a dire situation.
Mar 3, 2015 2:53 PM
Oct 2014
incisorr said:
honesty is more important than anything ,even loyalty

So it's more important to be honest with a stranger or even an enemy, than to be loyal to your friend?

Mar 3, 2015 2:57 PM

Oct 2010
ofcourse lying helps you because its cheating and abusing others , rofl

if this were wild nature, as it could and should be, you could get killed for this. If all people had biological pistol embedded inside their wrists, do you think lying would be so common? Yeah i didn't think so, therefore its logical to deduct that honesty is good and lying is bad, end of the story

all the people that say that honesty is not good are scumbags and someone should take a list and write their name down to avoid them in the future.

Do you even know what it is like to deal with someone who lies and cheats for his own benefit? Maybe you are that someone but why dont' you try to swap positions and put yourself in other people's shoes? I've been decepted and lied in my life so many times, and im sure there are many people with even worse scenarios than mine, and all this because other people want to have a better life and end up screwing mine. If i had nuclear bombs i would've launched them because people like this made me hate humanity as a whole so there you have it how bad honesty is.

If you're gonna break a promise dont lie about it because it would be fucking pathetic, tell the truth.

If the truth hurts then don't lie about it either, sugarcoat it but don't lie about it just so it can catch up to the person you're lying and catch him offguard at a later point in life, which will hurt him much more.

Rarusu_ said:
incisorr said:
honesty is more important than anything ,even loyalty

So it's more important to be honest with a stranger or even an enemy, than to be loyal to your friend?

those are not mutually exclusive ? I can be loyal to my friend and be honest to an enemy at the same time
lots of music -
Mar 3, 2015 3:19 PM
Oct 2014
I think that there are many lies in true nature. Fact is, we are trying to manipulate each others in every social situation, but that doesn't mean we do it in a bad or egoistic way to hurt others.
When someone says "please, it would be so kind of you if you did that for me", that person is trying to make you do something.

The point is, honesty isn't valuable alone, not through my perspective. I agree to what Sacreds said, if you can avoid lying, you shouldn't lie. If honesty means breaking promises, that isn't right either. Also, as a pragmatic, if the consequences costs more than it tastes, it's not worth it. Most important is to be honest to yourself, then you can decide how to use your honesty best.
Of course people have been lying to me which has caused me trouble, but I have also been betrayed. Best is, when loyalty and honesty goes hand in hand.

Mar 3, 2015 3:23 PM

Jan 2009
white lies are good, especially helps with socializing
Mar 3, 2015 3:24 PM

May 2014
It might not be right but it can be neccessery to lie.
I've been here way too long...
Mar 3, 2015 3:33 PM

Feb 2012
Sacreds said:
If breaking a promise to someone else or could potentially really harm the other person, lying might be the the better choice.

In this case, you should shut up or tell them to ask the person themselves instead of spreading rumors while justifying yourself by being an honest saint.
Mar 3, 2015 3:45 PM

Dec 2012
Bla bla It depends on circumstances, obviously bla.

That being said, though, more often than not honesty is a pretty solid policy amongst friends and loved ones (no shit, right...?) White lies are good and all, especially when used in the right places, but sometimes just coming in completely clean and sharing your exact, unfiltered thoughts with someone can have a far better result in a lot of social situations, especially when you're trying to find a solution to a problem.

Bottom line, losing a friend because you're being honest about yourself is a lot less significant than losing a friend due to a misunderstanding or lack of communication. Needless to say, though, that tact and learning when to keep your precious little mouth shut at the right moment have saved more social lives than one can count, so it's probably best to find a happy medium between the two...
PantsManMar 3, 2015 3:53 PM
Mar 3, 2015 4:13 PM

Oct 2014
I relatively agree with this.
MorsPulchra said:

Though, that being said, I feel honestly is valuable and is definitely a virtue. It is in most situations essential. I, a majority of the time rather people be blunt with me than tell me white lies or bend the truth. I want people to tell it to me how it is and not how I want it to be. I'm not a fan of when people sugar coat things with me. Screw that! I can be harsh and blunt sometimes, however, I feel it's often enough a good thing in most instances. Though, not always.
Mar 3, 2015 4:22 PM
Oct 2014
crestofhonesty said:
I relatively agree with this.
MorsPulchra said:

Though, that being said, I feel honestly is valuable and is definitely a virtue. It is in most situations essential. I, a majority of the time rather people be blunt with me than tell me white lies or bend the truth. I want people to tell it to me how it is and not how I want it to be. I'm not a fan of when people sugar coat things with me. Screw that! I can be harsh and blunt sometimes, however, I feel it's often enough a good thing in most instances. Though, not always.

You could say, that when you have asked something, you have asked for honesty, and lying in such situation is wrong. That's also betrayal in a way.
"You shouldn't always be honest, but mostly"

Mar 3, 2015 4:25 PM

Oct 2010
yeah but "mostly"

you can lie when it suits you or when you want to play god and whithold information that other people are entitled to yet you refuse to give it to them and lie instead and over-complicate the situation more and create a web of lies and bullshit.

this thread just reminded me that the people on mal are retarded and humans in general are retarded and i've been posting a bit too much in this forum , hopefully for my future waifu to notice me but its fucking futile and frustrating as hell. Reading people's "opinions" in different threads , i dont even know why am i surprised

bunch of fucking toddlers with opinion, theres nothing worse than this.
lots of music -
Mar 3, 2015 4:28 PM

Dec 2012
incisorr said:
yeah but "mostly"

you can lie when it suits you or when you want to play god and whithold information that other people are entitled to yet you refuse to give it to them and lie instead and over-complicate the situation more and create a web of lies and bullshit.

this thread just reminded me that the people on mal are retarded and humans in general are retarded and i've been posting a bit too much in this forum , hopefully for my future waifu to notice me but its fucking futile and frustrating as hell. Reading people's "opinions" in different threads , i dont even know why am i surprised

bunch of fucking toddlers with opinion, theres nothing worse than this.

Huh. That escalated faster than serving ham sandwiches at an Israeli-Palestinian peace talk...
Mar 3, 2015 6:49 PM

Sep 2013
lol nope. But I do it anyway because its too much hassle to remember lies to keep one's story straight. Though, half-truths are the best form of honesty.
Mar 3, 2015 6:51 PM

Jul 2014
Zeally said:
Touzel said:
Mar 3, 2015 6:58 PM
Sep 2014
No but i am
Mar 3, 2015 8:09 PM

Nov 2012
That's very...

I don't know.

Sucks to be you.
Tch!
Mar 3, 2015 8:18 PM

May 2010
I think the question should be "is lying always bad?"

It'd be much easier to list the reasons why you should lie, than reasons why you should tell the truth. That is, the list for truth telling is just so big.

But in situations where someone is out to kill another, should you lie about their whereabouts? My answer is that you should either lie or not say anything (barring the circumstance that the victim is also a killer).

However, if it's to get out of trouble or not hurt someone, then you should tell the truth anyways. The truth hurts, but do you know why it hurts? The truth hurts because it matters. I'd rather have my heart torn out than sheltered by lies, if it meant I would be living with the truth.

Of course, if you just committed a crime and you're trying to not be imprisoned, then is it then morally wrong to lie? That's a gray area, and is why you can refuse to testify against yourself in court, and why we have the Miranda Rights (in the U.S.)
Mar 3, 2015 10:51 PM

Jun 2014
Let's be simple.

Honesty is usually the best choice.

However, sometimes sensitivity may come into the equation, or times where you cannot divulge the truth due to compromising others.
A great protagonist once said, "It's only overpowered if you can't return the favor!"

More topics from this board

Poll: » the future of AI girlfriend technology

deg - 11 hours ago

19 by Kamikaze_404 »»
3 minutes ago

» For everyone who has signed up to this site using Protonmail, and doesn't use that address for anything else

vasipi4946 - 9 hours ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - 7 hours ago

11 by vasipi4946 »»
37 minutes ago

» I'm a coomer, but the important question is...

LenRea - 5 hours ago

3 by Zarutaku »»
41 minutes ago

» Plushies

_Nette_ - 3 hours ago

0 by _Nette_ »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.