Forum Settings
Forums
Must be a Club Member to Reply 
Mar 2, 2015 10:08 AM

So the other day someone asked for a file with all the anime info and whatnot in it, problem is that's impossible/not a good idea to do via the app, but you don't necessarily need the app for that.

Below is a zip file with my image folder, around 2600 images, which is about 26% of the database.
Download
All you have to do is head to "C:/Users/your_name/AppData/Roaming/Taiga/data/db/image" and dump them there, doesn't matter if you overwrite or not, you'll probably have a good chunk of them already.
The file is also around 100mb so it might take a while to download.

Next is my anime.xml file, this contains all the info for an entry, like the name, synonyms, type, episodes, score, popularity, etc, should have around 3750 entries, which is about 37% of the database.
Taiga adds some of these (the main ones like name, season, type, episodes that show up in the UI) but you've to update the entry manually for the rest to show up and get saved. Every time you exit Taiga it also fixes its database, removing duplicates, reordering everything, etc, so it doesn't really matter in which order things are at the start, which allows for you to add more entries and not have to worry about the order or if you already have that entry or not.
Note that if something overwrites an already existing entry what will remain is the new one and I can't guarantee that mine are completely up to date, but the only thing that might suffer from that is the score as synopsis, types, airing dates, genres, etc, aren't changed that often so there's no big deal here (I made sure all my entries have all the info already so entries that you already have won't be replaced with nothing).

This isn't as easy as the above but it's nothing hard either.
Just in case, make a backup of your anime.xml file before proceeding.
Download
Make sure you've Taiga closed for this, first open your anime.xml file located in "C:/Users/your_name/AppData/Roaming/Taiga/data/db", scroll down to the bottom of it and copy-paste the content of my file (I removed the starting part and the "﹤/database>" at the end, so you just have to select everything and copy) between the last "﹤/anime>" and "﹤/database>" of yours, open Taiga, synchronize your list and then close Taiga, now all the new entries will be sorted and ready for use next time you open Taiga.

Alternatively (doing both is pointless) you can simply replace your anime.xml file with mine, don't forget to backup your anime.xml file before replacing in case something goes wrong (note that this one can be used right away by just replacing your existing one while the one above is just for copy-pasting) but this will leave you only with my entries which means whatever entries you have that I don't will dissapear from the database. Should be noted that my file comes from the latest release (version 1.1.11) and replacing older anime.xml files with new ones and vice-versa isn't advised.

Note that Taiga gives you all the info and images if you use the Season tab, it goes back to Winter 2011 so if you want quick access to all the information to anime that aired between Winter 2011 and today you can simply select a season and press "Refresh data" (Taiga should ask if you want to download the info, if you haven't already). Both my images and my anime.xml contain all of these already.

The idea behind this is that people post their images/anime.xml files here and I'll update mine along with this post and we try to fill the database.
If you post images it doesn't really matter if you do it after downloading mine or before, only difference is that if you decide to share them after you'll have a bigger file to upload.
For the anime.xml file it doesn't really matter either, even if you share it before copy-pasting mine in I'll just copy-paste mine again to fix any empty entries your file might have introduced.

This doesn't change your anime list, or the app, in any way.

If this happens to be something not allowed or otherwise a bad idea, do tell.
Also, spare me if this burns your house down.
Modified by Paulo27, Mar 3, 2015 5:03 AM

Mar 2, 2015 11:28 PM

Adding images to data/db/image does no harm whatsoever, you can do that even while Taiga is running. Copy-pasting entries to data/db/anime.xml should work; just do it with a proper text editor and at your own risk. That said, I really don't recommend directly replacing the database with someone else's. This may result in a crash, database corruption, and/or the kitten apocalypse.

Although it doesn't include some data such as synopses, there's another way to expand your local anime database, which is both easier and safer:

1. Find a user who has a lot of anime in their list. MAL used to list them, but it's no longer the case.
2. Enter their username to Settings → Services → MyAnimeList, leave the password field blank.
3. Hit the Synchronize button in order to download their list and automatically merge up-to-date information with the local database.
4. You can now re-enter your own username and password and continue using Taiga as usual.

Mar 3, 2015 4:31 AM

erengy said:
Adding images to data/db/image does no harm whatsoever, you can do that even while Taiga is running. Copy-pasting entries to data/db/anime.xml should work; just do it with a proper text editor and at your own risk. That said, I really don't recommend directly replacing the database with someone else's. This may result in a crash, database corruption, and/or the kitten apocalypse.

Although it doesn't include some data such as synopses, there's another way to expand your local anime database, which is both easier and safer:

1. Find a user who has a lot of anime in their list. MAL used to list them, but it's no longer the case.
2. Enter their username to Settings → Services → MyAnimeList, leave the password field blank.
3. Hit the Synchronize button in order to download their list and automatically merge up-to-date information with the local database.
4. You can now re-enter your own username and password and continue using Taiga as usual.
I tried to test it as much as I could, only "problem" I encountered was that titles will dissapear from your list if you replace it with an anime.xml file with less entries, that will be fixed upon synchronization though, I didn't really test stuff like older versions but I imagine that might be a problem if people aren't running the latest version as I am, I'll add a note for that.
Modified by Paulo27, Mar 3, 2015 4:39 AM

Dec 23, 2017 6:39 AM
I know this is an old post but i wanted to share my images folder and the anime.xml file that i have since i think they are pretty large.

Images folder: Click here

Anime.xml file: Click here

Dec 23, 2017 7:25 PM

It's overall pretty easy to extract all the info by opening an account like spacecowboy's and setting up an auto clicker or something to scroll through and update all the entries, does take a good number of hours to do though, last time I did it it was like 10 hours but might be 11~12 now (basically do what erengy suggests above but take it a step further and update each entry individually so you get the full info for that entry).
Just haven't updated this because I never thought there was much interest.
My anime.xml file actually comes out at 10,7 MB right now, images is about the same size as yours.
Modified by Paulo27, Dec 23, 2017 7:33 PM