Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 1, 2015 10:30 PM

Nov 2010
This was supposed to be a thread in AD. Then I decided to write it here instead.

Who am I, to suggest an anime challenge, when I have practically stopped watching anime altogether?

Iono, because I'm a fucking god.

What the fuck is this?

This is an anime challenge almost completely cribbed from the 2015 Manga Reading Challenge, which has a lot of interesting challenges if you're an avid manga fan. It won't be as official, because I'm not only lazy and don't have the will to make graphics, but anime also takes considerable more time than manga, so people probably won't be able to complete any anime challenge as easily.

Okay, what do I do?

Simple. Below will be a list of "challenges," which will basically be asking you to perhaps watch an anime of a certain origin, genre, writer, etc. etc. Some will be more serious than others. Since, as I expressed above, anime is much more time consuming than reading manga, I'd probably suggest picking anywhere between 2-10 specific challenges depending on how much time you devote to anime.

Personally, I would choose one because I'm an elitist hipster pretentious douchebag, but it's all a matter of personal preference.

Is it compulsory?

When was the last time you actually did anything on the Internet because you've had to?

So who decides what's on the list?

Me.

So what you're saying is your list is shit?

Yes.

The challenges I pulled out of my ass wrote up are written with the intent of either actually being a challenge (as in the anime could be inaccessible or simply different), pulls people out of their comfort zone, or can just be for plain fun. It's also written with the intent of not pigeon holing you into picking anime that you will dislike. There will of course be anime master racers that have watched everything, and to that I say, congratulations...actually...not sure how proud you should be of yourself.

Anyway, my basic goal in coming up with these challenges is so that you would read at least some of them and say "Huh, okay, that's not completely generic. That might actually be interesting."

A quick disclaimer here that I am not an anime guru (nor do I want to be), and probably won't have the wide experience needed to make every single possible recommendation, so if people can come up with cool challenges, that would be much appreciated.

Do I win anything if I fulfill a challenge?

No. Nobody cares about you.

Actually. Mayuka seems to care. So she made graphics. Be happy.

Anyway, without further ado, here's a suggested challenge list.

List of Challenges:
➤Watch an anime with no voice actors
➤Watch a non-slice of life anime starring a child protagonist (pre-teens)*
➤Watch an anime starring non-human (or humanoid) characters
➤Watch an anime that features a non-Japanese title
➤Watch an anime where the director (or anyone else important on the staff) has only worked on that one anime
➤Watch a movie that is not a continuation of an established franchise, a multi-movie series and is not directed by the following names:
- Hayao Miyazaki
- Isao Takahata
- Satoshi Kon
- Mamoru Hosada
- Makoto Shinkai
- Yasuhiro Yoshiura
- Masaaki Yuasa
- Mamoru Oshii
➤Watch a sports anime where the sport in question has a real life Japanese athlete that has actually accomplished something notable internationally within the last five years
➤Watch an anime adaptation of a work of literary merit
➤Pick a (favorite) writer, director, animator, studio etc. and watch their least recognized work
➤Watch anything by Tezuka Osamu
➤Watch an anime within the top 500 you've never heard of
➤Watch a cyberpunk anime**
➤Watch a space opera
➤Watch one of the many "girls with guns" anime***
➤Watch an anime where the opening/ending does not feature a song sung in Japanese
➤Watch an anime movie that has been submitted for an Oscar
➤Watch Sazae-san
➤Watch a pre-1990s mecha anime that was made by someone not named Tomino
➤Watch an anime featured in the World Masterpiece Theatre
➤Watch an anime from the 20s, 30s, 40s, and 50s
➤Watch a debut work of an anime studio/director
➤Watch a full filmography of a favorite director (independent or otherwise)
➤Watch a magical girl show where the cover art distinctly does not feature the color pink
➤Watch an anime that is relevant to your major/career/studies
➤Watch a shounen anime where the main character does not possess spiky hair
➤Sort your anime list based on ratings, starting with the highest rated first. Move down the list, and rewatch the first three shows (or less?) where you cannot name at least three characters. Shows with less than three characters are obviously excluded.

Tentative/Unconfirmed
➤Watch an anime that has over 100 episodes
➤Pair up with someone (overlap is fine) and exchange new anime recommendations. HOWEVER, each recommendation MUST:
➤Watch a non-fantasy/sci-fi anime not based in Japan and does not feature Japanese characters

1. Be based on a genre that is featured in that person's favorite anime
2. Feature a voice actor that is on that person's favorites
3. Made by one of that person's favorite studios (based on their Malgraph. Anywhere in their top 15 is fine)

*There are actually a few pretty critically acclaimed anime that feature child protagonists, so it probably shouldn't be as awful as it seems.
**Please don't choose pleb cyberpunk like fucking Psycho Pass because that just makes you a pussy
***This includes Noir, Madlax, Canaan, El Cazador de la Bruja, Gunslinger Girls, etc. etc. Please no Madoka or god forbid Upotte you fucking plebs

420.moe
ZergneedsfoodMar 18, 2015 7:28 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 1, 2015 10:32 PM

Jul 2012
Oh, I'm in. I'll do graphic achievements too if anyone's interested.
Mar 1, 2015 10:32 PM

Sep 2013
Well, I'm watching Aldnoah so I think I'm going to snag that space opera challenge
Mar 1, 2015 10:36 PM

Feb 2014
I want to do this
Mar 1, 2015 10:37 PM

Jul 2012
➤Watch a sports anime where the sport in question has a real life Japanese athlete that has actually accomplished something notable internationally within the last five years

Examples?

Also, I want something like
"Watch an anime with a score in the 5.xxs"
"Watch an anime with a genre you hate"
"Watch an anime with 100+ episodes"
Mar 1, 2015 10:41 PM

Mar 2008
I'll only let this live if you add a mandatory mecha challenge.
Mar 1, 2015 10:43 PM

Jul 2012
Oh, we need an Ikuhara challenge added too!

As for the sports, maybe a sports anime with a sport we haven't seen before.
Maybe "demographic opposite to your gender" one too.
Mar 1, 2015 10:47 PM

Jul 2012
ooh my bad. i thought the directors you listed were part of the challenge but they were exclusions :o
Mar 1, 2015 11:04 PM

Nov 2011
Since it's for the whole year, does that mean anything I finished in January/February counts toward challenges? Also, can you watch a single title for multiple challenges, or does each challenge need a separate anime to complete it? (This makes a big difference because I'm a lot less likely to be watching space opera than I am pre-1990 shows, meaning I'd want to apply Gundam to the former if it only counts for one.)

Either way, I like this idea. I'll probably try to knock out as many as I can.
Mar 1, 2015 11:06 PM
Apr 2014
➤Watch an anime with no voice actors

Does this include those shitty claymations on the MAL database?
Mar 1, 2015 11:08 PM

Nov 2011
Zergneedsfood said:
TripleSRank said:
Since it's for the whole year, does that mean anything I finished in January/February counts toward challenges? Also, can you watch a single title for multiple challenges, or does each challenge need a separate anime to complete it? (This makes a big difference because I'm a lot less likely to be watching space opera than I am pre-1990 shows, meaning I'd want to apply Gundam to the former if it only counts for one.)

Either way, I like this idea. I'll probably try to knock out as many as I can.
I'm not big on stringent rules so:

- If you watched something in Jan/Feb it obviously counts since it's 2015
- A single title can probably satisfy multiple challenges, though I tried as hard as possible to avoid situations where it'd be easy to knock out like 5 challenges with just one anime

Time to find out how much I can break this.

Alright then. :3
Mar 1, 2015 11:18 PM

Nov 2012
sounds cool, i'm in. though i feel like this lacks a mahou shoujo challenge :C
Mar 1, 2015 11:23 PM

Jul 2012
What about an anime based on a novel (not including LNs)?
Or an anime related to your major/studies/career?
Mar 1, 2015 11:26 PM
Apr 2014
Zergneedsfood said:
**Please don't choose pleb cyberpunk like fucking Psycho Pass because that just makes you a pussy

+1
Mar 1, 2015 11:27 PM

Nov 2012
Zergneedsfood said:
silverwalls said:
I thought about it, but I couldn't come up with a unique enough challenge. I know I have space opera, cyberpunk, and "girls with guns" but at least "girls with guns" is kind of an interesting thing and the former two are more underwatched than most other genres.

I also have very little experience with magical girls so there's that.

In any case, I'll give it some thought.

you could maybe restrict it to "a magical girl show with less than 15000 users" or "with a score lower than 7.00" etc. ?
Mar 1, 2015 11:28 PM

Sep 2013
Come on now, give her a mahou shoujo challenge. Maybe it would encourage me go finish sailor moon too
Mar 1, 2015 11:29 PM

Jul 2012
cupc said:
Come on now, give her a mahou shoujo challenge. Maybe it would encourage me go finish sailor moon too
Mar 2, 2015 2:20 AM

Jul 2014
I'm in.
Mar 2, 2015 8:08 AM

Feb 2010
Looks fun, though a lot of the challenges sound inredibly vague and I wouldn't know how to accurately quantify them so let me nitpick a bit.

Does that include humanoid animals?

➤Pick a (favorite) writer, director, animator, studio etc. and watch their least recognized work
How do I quantify that? Mal popularity/score? Does, say, a Shin-chan movie count for Yuasa?

Might not exist since I'm a mighty big nerd.

I'm bad with genres like that and I've seen all the 'big' ones so not sure what falls into that category. Any recs?

➤Watch Sazae-san
yeah, right. Why not make it something more tangible like watching all the dragon ball or shin-chan movies? You know, stuff that has actually been subbed.

Zergneedsfood said:
mayukachan said:
Examples?
I only know one to be honest LOL

Kei Nishikori is a famous Japanese tennis player who has been the first Japanese male player ever to be ranked top 10 in the ATP Singles Ranking and the first Asian male to ever reach the finals of a Grand Slam.

There are tons of famous japanese baseball players playing in america. Mostly pitchers.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 2, 2015 8:11 AM

Oct 2012
Also on Sazae-san even if it was subbed, some episodes just literally don't exist anymore so its impossible to watch the whole thing.

But looks cool I'm definitely interested, I'm in the manga one as well but I suck and haven't worked on it yet.
Mar 2, 2015 8:14 AM

Feb 2010
Some challenges I think would be cool:

-Watch a WMT show
-Watch at least one anime from each the 1920's, 1930's, 1940's and 1950's.
-Watch a debut work of a director/studio
-Watch a moe show without cute girls (and not Kaiji)
-Watch the filmography (or anything that is available) of an independent japanese director of experimental shorts
Mar 2, 2015 8:14 AM

Nov 2013
silverwalls said:
Agreed. Give us a mahou shoujo challenge.
Mar 2, 2015 8:16 AM

Feb 2010
Just for the record I do not insist on having a mahou shoujo challenge :>.
Mar 2, 2015 8:21 AM

Sep 2013
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

What is wrong with you
Mar 2, 2015 8:25 AM

May 2013
Any good 1920's anime?
Mar 2, 2015 8:26 AM

Feb 2010
cupc said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

What is wrong with you

I haven't even reached level 1 of the mahou shoujo achievement on MALGraph despite maxing out every other achievement for no reason. I've pretty much seen all the ~3 mahou shoujo titles I'm interested in. For me it is the least interesting genre :/
And most of the shows being 3 or 4-cour (or longer) doesn't really help either.
Mar 2, 2015 8:28 AM

Dec 2012
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

-Watch a WMT show

WMT?

Examples for that? I can only thing of the magical boys anime, and Free.
Mar 2, 2015 8:28 AM

Sep 2013
Casval_onii-san said:
Any good 1920's anime?

Kobu-tori on youtube is excellent
Mar 2, 2015 8:35 AM

Nov 2014
I'm in. I would love to take part in this however could you please give me an example of a show with no voice actors?
Mar 2, 2015 8:37 AM

Feb 2010
Casval_onii-san said:
Any good 1920's anime?

No, but they are at least short and interesting from an historical perspective. Most stuff from before the 50's is average at best, but in the 30s and 40s I've at least seen one fairly entertaining anime (http://myanimelist.net/anime/7501 + http://myanimelist.net/anime/12803). The 20s stuff has just been mediocre though. But I still have a lot to watch myself.
tsudecimo said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

-Watch a WMT show

WMT?

Examples for that? I can only thing of the magical boys anime, and Free.

World Masterpiece Theater
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=1342

And I didn't mean no girls existing in the cast at all, just them not being the focus
Stuff like:

Kimi to Boku
Shounen Hollywood
Meganebu
Shirokuma Cafe
Ookiku Furikabutte
Ouran Koukou Host Club
Hourou Musuko (maybe)
Tsuritama (maybe)
Mar 2, 2015 8:38 AM

Feb 2010
omeg4 said:
I'm in. I would love to take part in this however could you please give me an example of a show with no voice actors?

It'd have to be a short or a music video, I guess.
Mar 2, 2015 8:39 AM

Nov 2012
omeg4 said:

http://myanimelist.net/anime/731/Interstella5555:_The_5tory_of_The_5ecret_5tar_5ystem
Mar 2, 2015 8:43 AM

May 2013
cupc said:
Casval_onii-san said:
Any good 1920's anime?

Kobu-tori on youtube is excellent

Well whaddaya know, it was kind of pleasant to watch.
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Casval_onii-san said:
Any good 1920's anime?

No, but they are at least short and interesting from an historical perspective. Most stuff from before the 50's is average at best, but in the 30s and 40s I've at least seen one fairly entertaining anime (http://myanimelist.net/anime/7501 + http://myanimelist.net/anime/12803). The 20s stuff has just been mediocre though. But I still have a lot to watch myself.

I'll be sure to check those out. What's your favourite 50's anime?
Mar 2, 2015 8:44 AM

Nov 2012
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
cupc said:

What is wrong with you

I haven't even reached level 1 of the mahou shoujo achievement on MALGraph despite maxing out every other achievement for no reason. I've pretty much seen all the ~3 mahou shoujo titles I'm interested in. For me it is the least interesting genre :/

there are lots of 1/2 cour mahou shoujo, even short OVA. they're just not as popular (except madoka..)
Mar 2, 2015 8:47 AM

Sep 2013
Casval_onii-san said:
Well whaddaya know, it was kind of pleasant to watch

It was a hypnotic experience.

This is the correct entry by the way http://myanimelist.net/anime/5875/Kobutori_(1929)
Mar 2, 2015 8:49 AM

Nov 2014
Zergneedsfood said:

I'm not big on stringent rules so:

- If you watched something in Jan/Feb it obviously counts since it's 2015
- A single title can probably satisfy multiple challenges, though I tried as hard as possible to avoid situations where it'd be easy to knock out like 5 challenges with just one anime

Since you said this, I finished a few. They are:
omeg4Mar 2, 2015 9:01 AM
Mar 2, 2015 8:50 AM

Feb 2010
Zergneedsfood said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Looks fun, though a lot of the challenges sound inredibly vague and I wouldn't know how to accurately quantify them so let me nitpick a bit.

Does that include humanoid animals?

I mean a humanoid animal would mean looking like a human, so yes. The whole point is to get away from non-human characters. I only added humanoid because I think there might have been some random nitpick where characters looked basically human but were called a different species or something.

What would that be for example? I can't think of anything aside from obscure shorts, maybe.

How do I quantify that? Mal popularity/score? Does, say, a Shin-chan movie count for Yuasa?

A Shin-chan movie is an extension of the franchise, so no. I think I said in the post but basically just look for the work that has the least completed views on MAL. I think that's the easiest way to base things off of.

What's the problem with it being an extension of the franchise? All shin-chan movies are standalone and Yuasa only worked on some of them and he didn't direct the main series.

I'm bad with genres like that and I've seen all the 'big' ones so not sure what falls into that category. Any recs?

[color=blue]rip pretty sure you've seen most of them so this challenge might not be worth it. but...maybe Genocyber, Neo Tokyo? The Animatrix? lol

Ugh, I guess Genocyber it is then. That's about the only one I can think of that I haven't seen yet.

➤Watch Sazae-san
yeah, right. Why not make it something more tangible like watching all the dragon ball or shin-chan movies? You know, stuff that has actually been subbed.

This is just a joke

Well, I figured as much but my suggestions were serious. It's also quite insane, but at least doable.
Mar 2, 2015 8:53 AM

Feb 2010
Casval_onii-san said:

Higashi_no_Kaze said:

I'll be sure to check those out. What's your favourite 50's anime?

Hard to say and I've only seen 4 myself (lol), but the existence of color adds a lot more enjoyment for me on it's own. Hakujaden was a decent movie and the shorts Kujira and Yuurei Sen were also enjoyable to watch compared to most of their earlier counterparts.
Mar 2, 2015 8:57 AM

Nov 2013
For anyone whose interested. This is the oldest anime out there: http://myanimelist.net/anime/17387
Mar 2, 2015 8:57 AM

Feb 2010
silverwalls said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

there are lots of 1/2 cour mahou shoujo, even short OVA. they're just not as popular (except madoka..)

Well, if I don't like the genre in general I'm not really eager to watch some low-tier show out of it. IF I'M interested in any than it would be be Sailor Moon or CCS or maybe Nanoha.
Unless you have a specific recommendation for a shorter one that should be more popular.

omeg4 said:

snip

If Inferno Cop isn't humanoid then I don't know what the word means apparently.
Mar 2, 2015 9:00 AM

Feb 2010
LAOG said:
For anyone whose interested. This is the oldest anime out there: http://myanimelist.net/anime/17387

There's also this one though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU7a8a7ZKoE
Mar 2, 2015 9:00 AM

Nov 2014
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

omeg4 said:

snip

If Inferno Cop isn't humanoid then I don't know what the word means apparently.

I'm sorry I misunderstood the post. I will edit it. Thanks for pointing it out.
Mar 2, 2015 9:04 AM

May 2013
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
LAOG said:

There's also this one though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU7a8a7ZKoE

lel
Mar 2, 2015 9:06 AM

Jul 2014
So is the challenge list gonna be updated?

Anyway, I'm done with those
OkashiMar 2, 2015 9:12 AM
Mar 2, 2015 9:09 AM

Sep 2013
Okashi_sama said:

I'm pretty sure those don't count since you watched them before zerg even posted this

I would have all of those too if we're going with the full list
Mar 2, 2015 9:11 AM

Nov 2011
cupc said:
Okashi_sama said:

I'm pretty sure those don't count since you watched them before zerg even posted this

Anything you finished in 2015 counts. Idk if he finished all of those in the last two months, though.
Mar 2, 2015 9:12 AM

Jul 2014
cupc said:
Okashi_sama said:

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1358273&show=0#msg38461300

TripleSRank said:
Anything you finished in 2015 counts. Idk if he finished all of those in the last two months, though.

I did except for Psycho Pass 2. My bad there.
Mar 2, 2015 9:14 AM

Feb 2010
http://ajw.asahi.com/article/behind_news/sports/AJ201206010022

Does that legitimize a boxing anime?

e: They also won a gold medal in olympic boxing in 2012 for the first time since 1960 so I'd say it's legit.
AlcoholicideMar 2, 2015 9:40 AM
Mar 2, 2015 9:33 AM

Feb 2010
Here's what I already have completed:
[spoiler]
List of Challenges:
➤Watch an anime with no voice actors (Tenrankei no E, and dozens of others since I went on a short watching spree in January)

➤Watch an anime that features a non-Japanese title (Dragon's Heaven, Wild 7, Crusher Joe, Assemble Insert, Project A-ko, Fire Tripper, Phantom: The Animation, Devilman: The Demon Bird, Crying Freeman, Dark Side Cat)
➤Watch a movie that is not a continuation of an established franchise, a multi-movie series and is not directed by the following names (Giovanni's Island)
➤Watch a sports anime where the sport in question has a real life Japanese athlete that has actually accomplished something notable internationally within the last five years (One Pound Gospel)
➤Watch an anime adaptation of a work of literary merit (Souryuuden (one of the best-selling novels of Japan at the time), Joseito (adapting a famous work of Dazai Osamu))
➤Watch anything by Tezuka Osamu (Mori no Densetsu)
➤Watch a cyberpunk anime (Ultraviolet: Code 044)
➤Watch a space opera (Terra e... (Movie))
➤Watch an anime where the opening/ending does not feature a song sung in Japanese (Wolf's Rain)
➤Watch an anime that doesn't star any voice actors you like/have favorited (Patlabor: The Early Days)
➤Watch an anime starring non-human (or humanoid) characters (Chirin no Suzu
➤Watch an anime from the 20s, 30s, 40s, and 50s (Mikan-Bune, Chinkoroheibei Tamatebako, Kintarou Taiiku Nikki, Kujira)
➤Watch a full filmography of a favorite director (independent or otherwise) (Wada Atsushi Still in progress)
➤Watch an anime movie that has been submitted for an Oscar (The Wind Rises)
[/quote]

Still need clarification or haven't watched yet:

➤Watch a non-slice of life anime starring a child protagonist (pre-teens)*

➤Watch a pre-1990s mecha anime that was made by someone not named Tomino
➤Watch one of the many "girls with guns" anime***
➤Watch an anime where the director (or anyone else important on the staff) has only worked on that one anime
➤Watch an anime featured in the World Masterpiece Theatre
➤Watch a debut work of an anime studio/director
➤Watch a magical girl show where the cover art distinctly does not feature the color pink
➤Watch an anime that is relevant to your major/career/studies

Recommendations are welcome, especially for non-human characters and 'only has worked on that one anime'.
AlcoholicideMar 26, 2015 6:57 PM
Mar 2, 2015 9:51 AM

Feb 2010
Zergneedsfood said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
What would that be for example? I can't think of anything aside from obscure shorts, maybe.
Animal movies are perfectly fine? o_O

Like obviously you can't have like....The Cat Returns, but there are a few movies that are strictly about animals like Arashi no Yoru ni or Uma Sou da na.

Basically, the point is that the challenge is to watch show is about non-human characters.

Well, okay then. I just figured that the ability to talk is pretty humanoid, but I recently watched Chirin no Suzu so that works.

Can you also comment on whether this qualifies as cyberpunk:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/2182
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anime Thought of The Day..? V.25: ded and forgotten

Botato - May 8, 2022

33 by Botato »»
Mar 16, 8:41 AM

» If you could get every regular in the club to watch one anime of your choosing, what would you pick and why?

TripleSRank - Apr 8, 2017

45 by DreamingGhost »»
Jun 2, 2023 5:02 AM

Sticky: » [Possible Spoilers] Most Overrated/Underrated Anime V. 5 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ckan - Sep 19, 2014

3375 by DreamingGhost »»
Jun 2, 2023 4:11 AM

» Anime Thought of The Day..? V.24: ded but not forgotten ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Paulo27 - Mar 10, 2018

9992 by Botato »»
May 10, 2022 10:54 AM

Sticky: » An Important Announcement To Lurkers

Kokko - Mar 15, 2015

30 by LeonhartAugust »»
Dec 27, 2018 8:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.