Forum Settings
Forums
Feb 28, 2015 10:47 PM

I find his stuff kinda overrated. I listened to some of what is supposed to be his best work but didn't really care for it. I much prefer what I've heard of Hijokaidan and Hanatarash.

Mar 1, 2015 8:54 AM

I like Merzbow

Here's one of my favorite songs by him (not safe for work)
I write game reviews that you can check out here: 🎮

Mar 1, 2015 11:54 AM

Pretty much the only noise musician i ever bothered listening to and i concluded that it's not for me.
I'm not gonna shit on the genre or anything, but i suppose i don't really get it.

Mar 1, 2015 12:33 PM

Malfegor said:
Pretty much the only noise musician i ever bothered listening to and i concluded that it's not for me.
I'm not gonna shit on the genre or anything, but i suppose i don't really get it.

Again I don't care for Merzbow I prefer Hijokaidan and Hanatarash but just if your curious noise to me is largely about textures and structure. Its generally either interesting sounds or a wall of noise that keeps my mind at bay and helps me relax.

Mar 1, 2015 1:46 PM

Merzbient and Cuts are great albums (Cuts especially, highly recommend even if you're not into noise, might prove as a good starting point). And of course his work with Boris, Rock Dream being one of my favorite live albums.

Generally, anything by him labeled as "harsh nose" isn't worth listening to. Albums like the above, Music for Bondage Performance, and Merzbeat actually have some substance. I listen to harsh noise but it's all the same with him.
Modified by Hihi7, Mar 1, 2015 1:51 PM

Mar 1, 2015 4:33 PM

i have the Full Of Hell / Merzbow collab. like it but thats cause its just FOH with some noise in the background, not much Merzbow on there.. dont care for Merzbow. harsh noise in general doesnt appeal to me.
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.

Mar 1, 2015 5:06 PM

I've never heard of Merzbow before, so I googled him.

And just when I thought that music couldn't get any worse. Sorry, that's NOT music.

Mar 1, 2015 5:07 PM

Working_Designs said:

And just when I thought that music couldn't get any worse. Sorry, that's NOT music.
Its noise :/

Mar 1, 2015 5:09 PM

Waifu_Strangler said:
Working_Designs said:

Well, noise isn't music. But I guess it's not trying to be.

Mar 1, 2015 5:16 PM

Working_Designs said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

According to John Cage anything can be music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY7UK-6aaNA

Mar 1, 2015 5:23 PM

Waifu_Strangler said:
Working_Designs said:

According to John Cage anything can be music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY7UK-6aaNA

Lol. They should change the name of 4'33" to "Let's Watch Paint Dry."

Mar 2, 2015 9:08 PM

Working_Designs said:

LOL

Working_Designs said:

Anything created with the intention to be listened to as music is music. There's even a full album by The Gerogerigegege of essentially just recordings of one of the members masturbating. It's 100% music, just like anything you listen too is music.

Mar 2, 2015 9:11 PM

Shimapan-chan said:
Working_Designs said:

LOL

Working_Designs said:

Anything created with the intention to be listened to as music is music. There's even a full album by The Gerogerigegege of essentially just recordings of one of the members masturbating. It's 100% music, just like anything you listen too is music.

Um, no. Noise is not music, nor is people making moaning sounds. Just because someone intends for something to be music, doesn't mean it is.

Trust me, I'm a musician. I know what "Music" is.

Mar 2, 2015 9:12 PM

Working_Designs said:
Shimapan-chan said:

LOL

Um, no. Noise is not music, nor is people making moaning sounds. Just because someone intends for something to be music, doesn't mean it is.

Hey I'm a musician too nerd

Mar 2, 2015 9:17 PM

Shimapan-chan said:
Working_Designs said:

You're a kid. I've been playing the guitar since you were in diapers.

Mar 2, 2015 9:20 PM

Working_Designs said:
Shimapan-chan said:

So you're a full grown adult getting in arguments with kids online? Your parents are really proud of you :D

How long you have been playing the guitar and my age really doesn't matter, like at all. Do you even make your own tracks? Or just play stuff already made?

Doesn't even matter what you say I'm done with this conversation. I'm outta here like last year~

Mar 2, 2015 9:24 PM

Shimapan-chan said:
Working_Designs said:

So you're a full grown adult getting in arguments with kids online? Your parents are really proud of you :D

How long you have been playing the guitar and my age really doesn't matter, like at all. Do you even make your own tracks? Or just play stuff already made?

Doesn't even matter what you say I'm done with this conversation. I'm outta here like last year~

You mean "Parent." I never had a father.

I've written over 120 songs in my lifetime, and have also performed many of them live. Also, I have recorded every single one of them.

Mar 2, 2015 9:32 PM

Working_Designs said:
Shimapan-chan said:

I've written over 120 songs in my lifetime, and have also performed many of them live. Also, I have recorded every single one of them.

Ignore what I said about not replying I'm bored lol
I've made over a thousand songs in the 5 years that I've been making music. I've performed in multiple online music events. Played a live show that was almost entirely improvised on the spot. Run the largest active lolicore label in the world. So I have experience too dudeywudey.

Mar 2, 2015 9:37 PM

Shimapan-chan said:
Working_Designs said:

I've made over a thousand songs in the 5 years that I've been making music. I've performed in multiple online music events. Played a live show that was almost entirely improvised on the spot. Run the largest active lolicore label in the world. So I have experience too dudeywudey.

Please explain how you wrote over 1000 songs in 5 years. Do you have all the lyrics and chords written out? I have no idea what "Lolicore" is, but it's most likely a lot different than the music I play.

I mostly listen to 50s & 60s music, and the songs I have written are heavily inspired by them.

Mar 2, 2015 9:45 PM

Working_Designs said:
Shimapan-chan said:

Please explain how you wrote over 1000 songs in 5 years. Do you have all the lyrics and chords written out? I have no idea what "Lolicore" is, but it's most likely a lot different than the music I play.

I mostly listen to 50s & 60s music, and the songs I have written are heavily inspired by them.

Yeah the music we do is very different. I make different genres of electronica, noise, and grindcore. Also don't bother looking up lolicore you'll hate it lol. Most of my songs are instrumental so no lyrics. I only started adding lyrics to some of the stuff under my Sunblock Bukkake alias a few months ago, but that's grindcore so like 20 second songs lol. I also have songs that are up to an hour long. Most of them are just regular length tho, so 3 - 8 minutes. How I was able to make so many is because I work on music all the time and the songs vary a lot so I don't usually run into complete artist blocks. And over 1000 in 5 years is nothing I used to know a guy that could that in a day.

Mar 2, 2015 10:05 PM

Shimapan-chan said:
Working_Designs said:

Yeah the music we do is very different. I make different genres of electronica, noise, and grindcore. Also don't bother looking up lolicore you'll hate it lol. Most of my songs are instrumental so no lyrics. I only started adding lyrics to some of the stuff under my Sunblock Bukkake alias a few months ago, but that's grindcore so like 20 second songs lol. I also have songs that are up to an hour long. Most of them are just regular length tho, so 3 - 8 minutes. How I was able to make so many is because I work on music all the time and the songs vary a lot so I don't usually run into complete artist blocks. And over 1000 in 5 years is nothing I used to know a guy that could that in a day.

Well, I'm going to assume that your style of music is easier to create, because I don't even think The Beatles wrote 1000 songs while they were together.

Mar 3, 2015 2:22 PM

I've been meaning to start listening to Merzbow for quite a while now; mostly because I found out about him while listening to Boris. All in due time.

You should check out these bands as well, if you're into japanoise:

Midori is also Jazz/Punk oriented, though, not only Noise
Modified by soggyshorts, Mar 3, 2015 2:26 PM

Mar 3, 2015 2:31 PM

Zri said:
I've been meaning to start listening to Merzbow for quite a while now; mostly because I found out about him while listening to Boris. All in due time.

Again Just my opinion but if you don't like Merzbow I'd recommend Hanatarash and Hijokaiden. Les Rallizes Denuded is probably the best but their more noise rock.

Mar 3, 2015 5:18 PM

I haven't listened to much harsh noise, but I do like some artists that use incorporate noise (like Death Grips).

I'm listening to Pulse Demon right now, I like it so far not sure exactly why, maybe because of it's uniqueness and how aggressive it sounds. I also like things that make weird noises and weird in general.

Quick browse through Merzbeat... looks like this stuff has more of a rhythm and actually somewhat resembles "normal music."

Mar 3, 2015 6:24 PM

Waifu_Strangler said:
Zri said:

Again Just my opinion but if you don't like Merzbow I'd recommend Hanatarash and Hijokaiden. Les Rallizes Denuded is probably the best but their more noise rock.

I will listen to all of those eventually. I also noticed that you listen mostly to avant-garde and older artists that not many people have heard about, so go ahead and recommend me some of those while you're at it, if you don't mind. Uhhh ... I don't think I'll dislike Merzbow, though. I remember playing Pulse Demon a long time ago, but back then Harsh Noise didn't suit me in any way possible, so I didn't care for it.
Modified by soggyshorts, Mar 3, 2015 6:28 PM

Mar 3, 2015 7:47 PM

Zri said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

I will listen to all of those eventually. I also noticed that you listen mostly to avant-garde and older artists that not many people have heard about, so go ahead and recommend me some of those while you're at it, if you don't mind. Uhhh ... I don't think I'll dislike Merzbow, though. I remember playing Pulse Demon a long time ago, but back then Harsh Noise didn't suit me in any way possible, so I didn't care for it.

Well if I'm not mistaken Merzbow biggest album is 1930 and I recall my issue with it being that the noises seemed to lack a real cohesion and just seemed immaturely placed together and I got bored very quickly. The guy has like over 200 albums so I'm sure he has something worth listening to but I tried listening to pulse demon a while back and it wasn't very interesting but maybe I didn't give it the deserved chance.

Hanatarash 3 though is a great album that showcases many different sides of harsh noise music and the only real complaint I have is that Live Shit Action 88 sorta drags on too long (Not sure what exactly is going on but I wonder if its the infamous scene in which he threw junk around with a backhoe cause I certainly hear stuff getting busted.). Hijokaidens Zouroku No Kibyou is a really good noise album with more of a psychedelic and spacey thing going on.

If you want avant garde I would reccomend these works.

Can - Tago Mago
The Residents - Duck Stab
Brian Eno - Another Green World
Throbbing Gristle - 20 Jazz Funk Greats
Magma - Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh
Captain Beef heart - Trout mask replica
Les Ralizes Denudes - 77 live

Mar 5, 2015 11:32 AM

Every Boris with Merzbow album has been GOAT
Can't wait to get the Sun Baked Snow Cave repress