Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Post New Reply
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Poll: Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin Episode 1 Discussion


Mar 1, 2015 2:03 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 1917
Prior to watching this, all of my knowledge about Gundam was contained in this
90-second clip of Episode 19 of "Lucky Star" (2007). This was when the otaku
high school girl Konata and her father were discussing the Gundam franchise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duwMRwDCvFE

With the exception of "Project A-ko" (1986), I have never had any interest in
the Mecha genre.
 
 
Mar 1, 2015 2:33 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 137
carboncopy said:
ex_necross said:


I hope you don't expect Origin to follow the original. There's a ton of shit that was changed.


Ah, if that's the case then I probably shouldn't.

I'm still weirded out by Kycilia's nude scene though...




The result of the changes Yoshikazu Yasuhiko has made is that it's actually a better story than the original without being wildely different and breaking the continuity (so far nothing I've read contradicts events of the other main UC series or OVA's like 8th MS Team or Zeta Gundam). Making Gihren, Kycilia and Dozle older makes a lot of sense as well sinse it means they have a much greater role in the establishment of the Zabi fmaily as the rulers of the Principality of Zeon.
 
Mar 1, 2015 2:57 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 8333
I need to read the manga but I want to save up money and buy those awesome hardcover volume ones! Loved the first episode and now we wait...
 
Mar 1, 2015 8:05 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 3994
Char's characterization as a child is great. Sayla is whatever. Her expressions are pretty ridiculous. Ral's Ral. Kycillia could use more subtlety. Loum was nice, because Zaku II's. Don't care much for the CG. Definitely out of place though, and probably no more than a hook. I may even prefer certain aspects of IGLOO's take on Loum. Regardless, good stuff. I suppose it's a good time to catch up on the manga.
Sieg Zeon!
 
Mar 2, 2015 2:02 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 2932
Seeing so many people get their first exposure to Gundam here and finally seeing what its actually like and appreciating it is pretty interesting to see. I still think Bandai is doing an absolutely all time horrendous job of getting it exposure in the West and it could be getting so much more as a franchise if they were willing to get their heads out of there asses with regard to distribution. Like there's so much potential for it to really start to take off here again like it did during the Wing and 00 eras given the vibes I see off of the U.C OVAs but they just refuse to allow sites like Crunchyroll (where let's be honest the vast majority of Western anime fandom now gets its exposure to anime from) carry it. Like so much wasted opportunity it blows my mind.
 
Mar 2, 2015 2:04 PM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 25067
i cannot look past the cast
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
 
Mar 2, 2015 3:09 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 1131
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Seeing so many people get their first exposure to Gundam here and finally seeing what its actually like and appreciating it is pretty interesting to see. I still think Bandai is doing an absolutely all time horrendous job of getting it exposure in the West and it could be getting so much more as a franchise if they were willing to get their heads out of there asses with regard to distribution. Like there's so much potential for it to really start to take off here again like it did during the Wing and 00 eras given the vibes I see off of the U.C OVAs but they just refuse to allow sites like Crunchyroll (where let's be honest the vast majority of Western anime fandom now gets its exposure to anime from) carry it. Like so much wasted opportunity it blows my mind.


But if it gets big here..

"Gundam by Michael Bay, coming to a theater near you!"

I can do without the mainstream Western audience.. that would change Gundam as we know it, and by change I mean ruin. It's not the same as 14 years ago when Toonami aired G, Wing, and 0079 here in the states.

But yes, Bandai are morons and the potential for Gundam to get big in the West is definitely there. I'd just rather it stay in Japan. I'll take the Turn A dub we were promised though.
 
Mar 3, 2015 12:27 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 2932
ex_necross said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Seeing so many people get their first exposure to Gundam here and finally seeing what its actually like and appreciating it is pretty interesting to see. I still think Bandai is doing an absolutely all time horrendous job of getting it exposure in the West and it could be getting so much more as a franchise if they were willing to get their heads out of there asses with regard to distribution. Like there's so much potential for it to really start to take off here again like it did during the Wing and 00 eras given the vibes I see off of the U.C OVAs but they just refuse to allow sites like Crunchyroll (where let's be honest the vast majority of Western anime fandom now gets its exposure to anime from) carry it. Like so much wasted opportunity it blows my mind.


But if it gets big here..

"Gundam by Michael Bay, coming to a theater near you!"

I can do without the mainstream Western audience.. that would change Gundam as we know it, and by change I mean ruin. It's not the same as 14 years ago when Toonami aired G, Wing, and 0079 here in the states.

But yes, Bandai are morons and the potential for Gundam to get big in the West is definitely there. I'd just rather it stay in Japan. I'll take the Turn A dub we were promised though.


I don't mean mainstream big but like getting attention from the Western anime community sort of big. First it would have to start by getting any sort of traction with them again first.
 
 
Mar 3, 2015 1:57 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 38
ex_necross said:

The giant block nipple was pretty weird. I don't know why the closeup was censored though, these are OVAs, plus they already showed them just moments before.

But seriously wtf


Not the reason why I was weirded out, but yeah that is weird. I can only guess that it's some new style of censoring.

Imateria said:



The result of the changes Yoshikazu Yasuhiko has made is that it's actually a better story than the original without being wildely different and breaking the continuity (so far nothing I've read contradicts events of the other main UC series or OVA's like 8th MS Team or Zeta Gundam). Making Gihren, Kycilia and Dozle older makes a lot of sense as well sinse it means they have a much greater role in the establishment of the Zabi fmaily as the rulers of the Principality of Zeon.




Anyway, I've gotten a bit off-tangent there.

Maybe it's just me, but changing their ages already counts as wildly different because it confuses canon. And (if I'm remembering it right) there are side stories that mentions that the Federation only had jet fighters, balls, tanks and artillery against the Zakus, so the existence of Guntanks contradicts them. Also, there was an instance of "Sieg Zeon" in the episode. That phrase shouldn't make sense until 0079.

<img src="http://i.imgur.com/AyobZ.gif" />
 
Mar 3, 2015 4:28 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 20
carboncopy said:
And (if I'm remembering it right) there are side stories that mentions that the Federation only had jet fighters, balls, tanks and artillery against the Zakus, so the existence of Guntanks contradicts them.


RTX-65 is considered as tank in Origin, not mobile suit. :D
1st said:
Federation tanks are exchanging fire!
Modified by masagrator, Mar 3, 2015 4:35 AM
 
Mar 3, 2015 6:26 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 17132
Holy sh*t, that was really good. The space battle was goddamn good. If all Gundam series were like this I would overloaded with happiness. Totally 10/10.

Ramba Ral was good-looking LOL, unlike when he is 35 :)

Loli Sayla is cute :)
 
Mar 3, 2015 7:25 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 137
carboncopy said:
ex_necross said:

The giant block nipple was pretty weird. I don't know why the closeup was censored though, these are OVAs, plus they already showed them just moments before.

But seriously wtf


Not the reason why I was weirded out, but yeah that is weird. I can only guess that it's some new style of censoring.

Imateria said:



The result of the changes Yoshikazu Yasuhiko has made is that it's actually a better story than the original without being wildely different and breaking the continuity (so far nothing I've read contradicts events of the other main UC series or OVA's like 8th MS Team or Zeta Gundam). Making Gihren, Kycilia and Dozle older makes a lot of sense as well sinse it means they have a much greater role in the establishment of the Zabi fmaily as the rulers of the Principality of Zeon.




Anyway, I've gotten a bit off-tangent there.

Maybe it's just me, but changing their ages already counts as wildly different because it confuses canon. And (if I'm remembering it right) there are side stories that mentions that the Federation only had jet fighters, balls, tanks and artillery against the Zakus, so the existence of Guntanks contradicts them. Also, there was an instance of "Sieg Zeon" in the episode. That phrase shouldn't make sense until 0079.



 
Mar 3, 2015 8:53 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 38
masagrator said:
carboncopy said:
And (if I'm remembering it right) there are side stories that mentions that the Federation only had jet fighters, balls, tanks and artillery against the Zakus, so the existence of Guntanks contradicts them.


RTX-65 is considered as tank in Origin, not mobile suit. :D
1st said:
Federation tanks are exchanging fire!


Wiki disagrees though. Then again, the term "Mobile Suit" most likely doesn't exist yet so they're still calling them tanks.

Imateria said:
carboncopy said:


Not the reason why I was weirded out, but yeah that is weird. I can only guess that it's some new style of censoring.





Anyway, I've gotten a bit off-tangent there.

Maybe it's just me, but changing their ages already counts as wildly different because it confuses canon. And (if I'm remembering it right) there are side stories that mentions that the Federation only had jet fighters, balls, tanks and artillery against the Zakus, so the existence of Guntanks contradicts them. Also, there was an instance of "Sieg Zeon" in the episode. That phrase shouldn't make sense until 0079.







Eh, I guess we can just conclude whether the changes are good depends on person to person. I agree they don't look their ages (Gundam-san pokes fun at this too; Kycilia is very sensitive about her looks in there), but I'm just gonna point back to the canon again.

And as for "Sieg Zeon", I can agree it's some sort of a "Heil Hitler". Yeah, Gihren is likened to Hitler and Zeon to Nazi Germany. But, it means "Victorious Zeon"; it's supposed to be directed to the nation itself, which doesn't exist yet, and wouldn't make sense to chant to Deikun who is dead.
<img src="http://i.imgur.com/AyobZ.gif" />
 
Mar 3, 2015 7:15 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 20064
Not bad.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Young Ramba
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Young Hamon

Not to mention they were both badass. Can't complain.

Quite a few questionable directing choices here and there... rather odd pacing throughout, somewhat dissonant voice acting at times, really inconsistent mood/atmosphere and a few shots that would have been better had they been done traditionally, though the CG was otherwise fantastic.

I like how the Guntank recoils, with a pitch and backwards motion. Little touches like that really help to make it seem big and powerful, and are generally absent from Gundam.

Also, Hamon was bitchin' badass. This can't be repeated often enough.

4/5.
 
 
Mar 3, 2015 10:38 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 446
I thought just about everything was great but I had one major gripe/concern and that was how they portrayed Zeon Deikun. Throughout the whole Universal Century of Gundam he's painted as a benevolent philosopher who wanted to help humanity move forward in peace and mutual understanding through Newtype evolution but who also had himself and his romantic ideals buried+twisted by politics/political ambitions (of the Zabis). In a nutshell at least.


The Origin ep 1 basically from what I can tell depicted him as some raving fanatic who didn't care about any of that Newtype theory/helping humanity move forward past its dark history/cycle of violence and merely wanted to wage war on those who live on earth. He flat out says "This just asks for more autonomy! That's not what I want! I want to wage war on all earthnoids!". I've seen, become invested, and have fallen in love with UC gundam and that sounds like a very iffy if not misleading portrayal of the character and what he stands for/what he symbolizes and how that plays into the future.


That aside though it Origin was great. Never knew Kycilia was such a babe in her youth.
 
 
Mar 4, 2015 1:18 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 24322
Champloo_Remix said:
I thought just about everything was great but I had one major gripe/concern and that was how they portrayed Zeon Deikun. Throughout the whole Universal Century of Gundam he's painted as a benevolent philosopher who wanted to help humanity move forward in peace and mutual understanding through Newtype evolution but who also had himself and his romantic ideals buried+twisted by politics/political ambitions (of the Zabis). In a nutshell at least.

The Origin ep 1 basically from what I can tell depicted him as some raving fanatic who didn't care about any of that Newtype theory/helping humanity move forward past its dark history/cycle of violence and merely wanted to wage war on those who live on earth. He flat out says "This just asks for more autonomy! That's not what I want! I want to wage war on all earthnoids!". I've seen, become invested, and have fallen in love with UC gundam and that sounds like a very iffy if not misleading portrayal of the character and what he stands for/what he symbolizes and how that plays into the future.

I definitely think Yasuhiko's portrayal of Zeon Deikun comes across as heavy-handed, and perhaps contrary to what the original show and its sequels might've implied - and it's not the only part of Yas's version of (past) events that I'm not so keen on. We should definitely consider his person in The Origin as likely distorted to some level from his stress and possible poisoning - but after meeting his raving wife, it does seem that Yas does envision the man as quite fanatical - whether or not he's only totally gone off the rails in these end days - who knows.

On the other-hand, it might be going too far to take the idea of a visionary and truly prophetical Zeon Deikun at face value. His mentions in the anime have always been indirect - almost entirely second-hand at best - and I'm unsure as to whether he ever had any scientific basis on which he foretold the coming of Newtypes, or whether it was purely wishful and coincidentally correct thinking on his part. In fact, post 0079,


But I'd definitely be careful about thinking of Deikun only as a person who sought to "helping humanity move forward past its dark history/cycle of violence", because speeches made by Deikun as found in Tomino's novels make him come off as somewhat radical in his beliefs. His assertions on spacenoids becoming Newtypes might be harmless enough - positive and thoughtful (if only given real credence with the actual later appearance of the magica newtypes) - but coupled with his views on the complete preservation of the earth and his sometimes supernatural rhetoric - there's definitely room for a somewhat more unpleasant and unhinged man behind the positive revolutionary ideas he brings. Of course, the novels diverge quite a bit from the anime, so there's that to consider too, but I think that in the end there's quite possibly a significant difference between the portrayal of positive newtypes in the anime - and what the actual ideas of Zeon may have meant for him.
 
Mar 4, 2015 5:25 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 137
I deffinitely felt that Deikun's dialogue was a bit hamfisted . I can see him coming across as a bit mad, particualrly under the stress of leading Side 3 towards autonamy whilst pushing his Newtype Theory, but he's never before been protrayed as war monger. I suspect the use of the word war was meant more as a metaphore than an actual statement of intent and would fit better into what little we know of him.

 
Mar 4, 2015 7:13 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 446
Ckan said:
Champloo_Remix said:
I thought just about everything was great but I had one major gripe/concern and that was how they portrayed Zeon Deikun. Throughout the whole Universal Century of Gundam he's painted as a benevolent philosopher who wanted to help humanity move forward in peace and mutual understanding through Newtype evolution but who also had himself and his romantic ideals buried+twisted by politics/political ambitions (of the Zabis). In a nutshell at least.

The Origin ep 1 basically from what I can tell depicted him as some raving fanatic who didn't care about any of that Newtype theory/helping humanity move forward past its dark history/cycle of violence and merely wanted to wage war on those who live on earth. He flat out says "This just asks for more autonomy! That's not what I want! I want to wage war on all earthnoids!". I've seen, become invested, and have fallen in love with UC gundam and that sounds like a very iffy if not misleading portrayal of the character and what he stands for/what he symbolizes and how that plays into the future.

I definitely think Yasuhiko's portrayal of Zeon Deikun comes across as heavy-handed, and perhaps contrary to what the original show and its sequels might've implied - and it's not the only part of Yas's version of (past) events that I'm not so keen on. We should definitely consider his person in The Origin as likely distorted to some level from his stress and possible poisoning - but after meeting his raving wife, it does seem that Yas does envision the man as quite fanatical - whether or not he's only totally gone off the rails in these end days - who knows.

On the other-hand, it might be going too far to take the idea of a visionary and truly prophetical Zeon Deikun at face value. His mentions in the anime have always been indirect - almost entirely second-hand at best - and I'm unsure as to whether he ever had any scientific basis on which he foretold the coming of Newtypes, or whether it was purely wishful and coincidentally correct thinking on his part. In fact, post 0079,


But I'd definitely be careful about thinking of Deikun only as a person who sought to "helping humanity move forward past its dark history/cycle of violence", because speeches made by Deikun as found in Tomino's novels make him come off as somewhat radical in his beliefs. His assertions on spacenoids becoming Newtypes might be harmless enough - positive and thoughtful (if only given real credence with the actual later appearance of the magica newtypes) - but coupled with his views on the complete preservation of the earth and his sometimes supernatural rhetoric - there's definitely room for a somewhat more unpleasant and unhinged man behind the positive revolutionary ideas he brings. Of course, the novels diverge quite a bit from the anime, so there's that to consider too, but I think that in the end there's quite possibly a significant difference between the portrayal of positive newtypes in the anime - and what the actual ideas of Zeon may have meant for him.



I can see how there's room for what you're saying but just based off of the anime canon I feel like Deikun's psychopathic portrayal undermines quite a bit in terms of the future chronology/story. I don't think Deikun is a saint either as Gundam UC does a great job of creating rather grey characters but he's always been depicted as a benefactor who at his core wanted humanity to evolve past war and violence through Newtype evolution. Now how easily/realistically that movement can be achieved is whole other discussion entirely (and part of me thinks that the only realistic way for that to happen was for someone to do something like what was done in CCA; the closest thing we have to seeing what might have been in that regard is the ending of the 00 Trailblazer film where that future seems to be more on the utopian side) considering how Earthnoids' souls' are weighed down by earth's gravity. But more or less Deikun being depicted as a nutcase makes the viewer (especially if Origins is their gateway into UC in which case this totally misleads them imo) believe that Deikun was only passionate about being at war with the Earthnoids and didn't talk much sense (passion in hindsight which is the kind of what the Newtype theory looks to move past so that's contradictory in itself). I kind of wish it was like you said and went mad due to poison and exhaustion. It would almost make things a LITTLE better for me but I don't think that was the intention as I think they would've/could've made that a little more clear by having him cough, look physically deteriorated, etc. in between his talks of raining hellfire on the Earthnoids and Gaia.
 
Mar 4, 2015 5:10 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 137
^Like I said, definitely a bit hamfisted with his portrayel in the anime there. He wasn't even like that in the manga where he raged about his speach being inadequit to convey his thoughts and stir up revolution, but no mention was ever made of war. Heck, it's seen in a flashback and isn't remotely made clear what speach it would be or when it would be given where the anime clearly puts it as being the night before his death.
 
Mar 4, 2015 5:44 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 446
Imateria said:
^Like I said, definitely a bit hamfisted with his portrayel in the anime there. He wasn't even like that in the manga where he raged about his speach being inadequit to convey his thoughts and stir up revolution, but no mention was ever made of war. Heck, it's seen in a flashback and isn't remotely made clear what speach it would be or when it would be given where the anime clearly puts it as being the night before his death.


I'm really gonna have to go read the first volume of Origin or whatever this episode covered to compare the differences. I'm still quite raw about it lol. Also I've heard from some that Yasuhiko was part of the creative team for the original 0079 but upon a quick google search it looks like he was just doing character design? Is that right? Idk why I was under the impression he pitched on work on the story of the original.
 
Mar 4, 2015 5:55 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 24322
Imateria said:
^Like I said, definitely a bit hamfisted with his portrayel in the anime there. He wasn't even like that in the manga where he raged about his speach being inadequit to convey his thoughts and stir up revolution, but no mention was ever made of war. Heck, it's seen in a flashback and isn't remotely made clear what speach it would be or when it would be given where the anime clearly puts it as being the night before his death.

Yeah, that scene being placed as a flashback (presumably from Astraia's pov) did make the manga depiction seem more 'uneal' - and perhaps slightly more unrealiable compared with the anime.

But Zeon does actually say the same 'declaration of war' line (as translated by Vertical) and the colourful hellfire/burning stuff. Given how inflammatory his speech was, it does make sense that this was the speech he died before giving. Since Yasuhiko is directing - it's safe to say that this is probably how he would fit the timeline together, but it's also true that maybe it was the necessity of time constraints that made him move the event to a definite moment in time.


Champloo_Remix said:
I'm really gonna have to go read the first volume of Origin or whatever this episode covered to compare the differences. I'm still quite raw about it lol. Also I've heard from some that Yasuhiko was part of the creative team for the original 0079 but upon a quick google search it looks like he was just doing character design? Is that right? Idk why I was under the impression he pitched on work on the story of the original.
This is from the middle of the manga - the Char & Sayla volume if you have Vertical's release.
I'm not 100% on this, but I believe staff roles in anime back in the day were a bit more flexible - and character design isn't just the art, but also working on the backgrounding and perhaps plotting with the director. Yas is also credited as the animation director for something like15 episodes.
So people mentioning him as one of the 'original creators' are probably giving a misleading idea, but he' was definitely close to the inner workings of it all. It might also be people getting confused with him being the "original creator" of The Origin.

But Yas is definitely well qualified as the writer of The Origin - which is an amazing readaptation/interpretation sans the weaker flashback content. As the original character designer, a past animator who worked on the series, and also as a mangaka with a preference for historical-biographical stories - MSG The Origin really worked out well in his hands. Unfortunately, I do think that the 'past' and original content that the anime is adapting - well, it's the weakest part of the manga.

(I'll try and respond to your earlier reply when I have more time - and if I have anything worth saying.)
Modified by Ckan, Mar 4, 2015 6:00 PM
 
Mar 4, 2015 7:09 PM
Offline
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 7
bad points
1º fanservice with Kycillia Zabi was ridiculous
2º that silly moment when Dozle Zabi's wounds opened was ridiculous
3º Ramba Ral all happy being Artesia babysitter was ridiculous (in fact, Ramba Ral is such a nice character on the original Gundam and on The Origin he is preety disappointing...)
4º all that time showing Jimba Ral as a crazy old was disappointing
5º Sasro Zabi was such a pointless character
6º Guntanks on 0068? But all Federation mobile suits were based on Zaku...

good points:
1º the first scene with Char's Zaku was cool
2º that scene in which spacenoids of Side 3 were repressed by the Federation Forces was awesome

I didn't like. =(
 
Mar 4, 2015 8:47 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 2972
Am I the only one who thought they overdid the comic relief a bit? I feel like it really doesn't fit in to a political drama very well. Also, Dozle and Ramba Ral are two of my favourite characters from the original series, so the two of them being so goofy was a disappointment. Perhaps they're using it to illustrate their growth as characters, or will be in later episodes?

Otherwise it was pretty good.
 
 
Mar 5, 2015 4:09 PM
Offline
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 7
Lindle said:
Am I the only one who thought they overdid the comic relief a bit? I feel like it really doesn't fit in to a political drama very well. Also, Dozle and Ramba Ral are two of my favourite characters from the original series, so the two of them being so goofy was a disappointment. Perhaps they're using it to illustrate their growth as characters, or will be in later episodes?

Otherwise it was pretty good.


I agree. Dozle and Ramba Ral were disappointing and the comic relief, for me, it was the worst. I prefer the derp moments from Reconguista in G .-.
 
Mar 6, 2015 5:28 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 3879
Little Sayla was really cute. I wonder if the Red Comet retained his spine as Casval Rem Deikun, and took Zeon's legacy, power, ambition and all, would things be different? Sunrise would give us another alternate universe, perish the thought but I still wonder. 8/10
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
 
Mar 6, 2015 6:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 446
tofei said:
Little Sayla was really cute. I wonder if the Red Comet retained his spine as Casval Rem Deikun, and took Zeon's legacy, power, ambition and all, would things be different? Sunrise would give us another alternate universe, perish the thought but I still wonder. 8/10


You know, I don't think it's so much that Char lost his spine as Casval or took the easy way out by running away from his family/father's legacy. I think ultimately Char chose revenge (in 0079) and couldn't forgive the Zabi family. He was too revenge-driven in the early stages to really consider what the Deikun name and legacy meant to him (although gradually you see him consider and empathize with/embrace it as we see it all culminate in Char's Counterattack where he chooses to follow/build on his father's legacy and Newtype theory and once again become Casval Rem Deikun).
 
Mar 12, 2015 2:05 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 369
I'm not familiar with the Gundam series myself but I've had a lot of friends pestering me to start off here. I enjoyed it a lot! And I'm sure it can only get better from here!
 
Mar 13, 2015 4:21 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 3747
felipegomid said:
Ramba Ral all happy being Artesia babysitter was ridiculous (in fact, Ramba Ral is such a nice character on the original Gundam and on The Origin he is preety disappointing...)


That's the point. He is a nice guy, a man of honor and was one of the first to give Amuro a face of the enemy, so to speak.

Anyway, it seems to me Sunrise didn't bring their A-team to Origin and I think the cg looks worse than Unicorn. The battles in G-reco look better (and BF Try, when it's not screaming and explosions).
 
 
Mar 14, 2015 11:54 AM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 859
Any idea on when the next episodes will be coming?
 
Mar 23, 2015 8:14 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 739
Wow , that was just amazing. Best thing that happened to the Gundam franchise after Unicorn i think
 
 
Mar 31, 2015 8:38 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 2662
That was amazing.. it's been a while since I've seen some good gundam (dropped reconguista few weeks ago, bleh). I actually enjoyed the funny moments, I thought they broke up the tense serious atmosphere of everything else pretty damn well haha.

I've watched 0079, Zeta , and most of Unicorn for UC stuff. It was fun seeing all these characters younger versions , even though I barely remember some of them (watched 0079 about 4 years ago, at a somewhat of a low point in my life)
 
Apr 2, 2015 5:57 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 9859
JohnnyBme said:
Any idea on when the next episodes will be coming?


This fall
 
Apr 11, 2015 7:59 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 6189
It's a good thing I finally got around to watching the original Gundam a few months back. I understand what's going on and who the characters are!

Degwin is so cool he never takes his sunglasses off. What's with the witch costume for Artesia?
 
Apr 27, 2015 1:19 AM
Observer

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 5283
This was phenomenal. The re-writing of some of the events are pretty good. I like it.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
 
Apr 28, 2015 4:00 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 26
Yeah, this was great! Aside from those weird CGI horses, the animation was beautiful. The comedic moments kinda stuck out like a sore thumb, but whatever. Is that cat Disney-sidekick-smart in the manga too? I couldn't help but think of how freaked out a real cat would be in zero G.
Low personal standards for how you spend your free time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPoucb2tAbI&index=1&list=PLBs9zRxK-93550LTq7tZqT1FOe1j7WVOP

You could do worse. Not much, but still...
 
 
May 15, 2015 7:09 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 55
How is this a adaptation of? http://myanimelist.net/manga/214/Kidou_Senshi_Gundam:_The_Origin

So far in reading the manga and watching the first ova there is nothing in the manga that's in the ova.

Kidou Senshi Gundam: The Origin is a retelling of the original gundam with some details here and there changed. so far the only relation it has is that its a gundam series in the U.C. and it has the same name.

 
May 15, 2015 7:16 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 24322
eieio11490 said:
How is this a adaptation of? http://myanimelist.net/manga/214/Kidou_Senshi_Gundam:_The_Origin

So far in reading the manga and watching the first ova there is nothing in the manga that's in the ova.

Kidou Senshi Gundam: The Origin is a retelling of the original gundam with some details here and there changed. so far the only relation it has is that its a gundam series in the U.C. and it has the same name.

The anime is adapting the flashback arc that takes place about a third of the way in. If you're reading Vertical's release, it starts at volume 5.
 
Oct 24, 2015 5:00 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 2421
If you have read the manga or have seen the next episode, Zeon Zum Deikun's messianic metaphors (e.g. referring to a cross when it is suggested he could be executed) is explained due to madness but for first time viewers it is a bit weird.[/spoiler]

If you are watching the dub, you better have strong eardrums for Artesia's voice.

RAMBO RAL

The Munzo Defense Force members were funny.
Modified by Fortress_Maximus, Nov 10, 2015 5:05 PM
 
Oct 29, 2015 4:39 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 249
i found the first episode to be really interesting and touching with the emotional parts as well. made ya feel the tragedy of it all for casval and artesia.


 
Nov 13, 2015 1:53 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 2076
Was pleasantly surprised. Or, perhaps, surprised would be a bit much to say. After all, this is Gundam. I guess Char was tough even in his early days (as per his reputation). Ral Ramba also an interesting character. Ah, the power plays...

The ED was beautiful!
 
Jan 5, 2016 3:46 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 10456
That was... a little bit dull I must admit, but still worth the watch, if only for that Ramba Ral and Hamon badassery, as well as the nostalgia inducing appearance of old faces from 0079. Even though the reworking on the age of the Zabi siblings contradicts the canon, I quite liked the fact that it allows them to play a much bigger part in the uprising of Zeon and the establishment of the Zabis as the ruling dynasty. Kycilia's actions and motivations in 0079 also make more sense when considering the events of Origin and how much disrepesct and contempt she got from her older brothers.

But otherwise yeah, as others pointed out the changes in tone were quite jarring most of the times and ended up killing all the tension. Not saying that a bit of comedy here and there is not welcome, but trying to make me laugh when Artesia and Casval nii-san are still in mortal danger? eh...
Not once during this hour long OVA have I felt the slightest bit worried about these two kids and I think that's a big, big problem.

Well, other than that it wasn't too bad I guess: the character animation was on point and hell, even the CGI was fine. That space battle pandemonium at the beginning was divinely chaotic.

On to the second one, now.
Proud founder of The Official Anti-Ging Freecss Fan Club Join now!
Kellhus said:
GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
 
Aug 20, 2016 4:26 AM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 1526
After seeing the Gundam ORIGIN art exhibit in Matsuya Ginza I finally got around to watching this series! Absolutely amazing. It both felt and looked like a movie and I really enjoyed it. Seeing "Char" as a child and getting that backstory animated in this high quality was amazing. The ending felt like a conclusion let kept me excited for the next episode. Loved it!
 
Oct 8, 2016 6:18 PM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 94
This was alot better then I expected. Character animation was great, Chibi Sayla is the cutest fucking thing ever. And char is a fuckin badass even as a preteen, chaznable little fucker he is. Loved when he showed Kycilia who's boss.

I love when there mom is explaining to them that they have to go to Earth and Sayla starts freaking out but they focus on Char's reaction. He looks so angry you can feel his blood boiling. It really strengthens his character and makes everything that comes in 79 justifiable. Kinda wanna rewatch 79 after this is done just because this extra element will make it that much more rewarding.
 
 
Nov 19, 2016 7:45 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 7622
This film is the son of our time, the beginning is a blaze of bullets and explosions, in the best tradition of Gundam. The result reflects what is seen more often in today's narratives, but beware, it is not a demerit. Sure it lacks impact because the dramatic moments are interspersed with moments quite funny and even a little bizarre. The plot is well constructed, and well describes the characters and the dynamics involved in the Zabi's family. The character of Kycilia, remembers quite well that seen in 0079. Casval is really a charismatic character, his figure is not affected even in this animated adaptation, I'm impressed by the script. The same with regard to the direction, it is very beautiful and catchy the OST. Very nice also the prop design and set design.
 
Jan 14, 2017 3:38 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 2546
Never watch any Gundam, but this is interesting one. Wished the character art was more greater (even though i never cared before...)
 
 
Apr 2, 2017 9:53 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 15213
Like this episode, like me too much!!
I though it was to going a adaptation about the original series, but the plot of this anime series is the first years of Artesia and Casval (Char) and how they had to scapes to survive to the Zabi family!!!

The animation quality was very nice, and the plot i love it... There is one scene when Artesia jump to the mobile armor tank, her clothes and the black cat remenber my ....yes a this Witch animation!!! ;)
The Ramba Ral character, like too!!! and the young nudity body of the Kycylia was a great surprise!!

9/10 for this first one episode!!!


Hello, my litte boy!


 
Jun 13, 2017 10:40 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1623
Really surprised at how goofy this is. Not sure what it's aiming for. It's pretty plodding and uninteresting besides.
 
Jul 27, 2017 6:19 PM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 177
Sapewloth said:
That was... a little bit dull I must admit, but still worth the watch, if only for that Ramba Ral and Hamon badassery....

But otherwise yeah, as others pointed out the changes in tone were quite jarring most of the times and ended up killing all the tension. Not saying that a bit of comedy here and there is not welcome, but trying to make me laugh when Artesia and Casval nii-san are still in mortal danger? eh...
Not once during this hour long OVA have I felt the slightest bit worried about these two kids and I think that's a big, big problem.

Well, other than that it wasn't too bad I guess: the character animation was on point and hell, even the CGI was fine. That space battle pandemonium at the beginning was divinely chaotic.

On to the second one, now.


Agreed on these points. Opening scene was definitely special. I haven't seen the rest of Origin yet, but I am hoping to see more of this animation sweetness. Although I will say the animation depth was hard to view, and Char was moving so fast destroying everything the significance was almost lost. Scenes of the slow-mo rounds exploding in the ships was crazy cool, so again overall I'm interested to hopefully see more battles.

Pacing was a bit awkward as you stated. Comedic scenes just didn't fit most of the time. If you're just getting kicked off in MSG UC, this may still be an odd place to start. Opening scene is really a flash forward for the rest of the episode. For the rest of us it's all a flashback. Then proceeds to get into the weeds of MSG, which I'm totally down with. Although it's a bit dry.

I love all things UC, so this was great to see. I'll be interested to see how Char's environmental militarism and hate for earthnoids, outweighs the hate for the Zabis. Was always confused by that, and haven't seen 0079 for quite sometime so piecing this all together is challenging.

First post here on myanimelist, and it's quite the site. Loving these episodic discussion threads!
Modified by laughterjones, Jul 27, 2017 6:25 PM
 
Aug 22, 2017 9:59 AM
The Madaora

Offline
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 103
So, I'm not sure if this is the best page to ask this on, however, I require the assistance of someone who actually has a clue or two about Gundam, please. To date, I've only watched (as far as my memory serves me) MSG IBO, both seasons during their original broadcast. I've now taken an interest in the series and want to watch it all but have decided to start with UC as it would probably be both more convenient and easy plus make more sense in the long run. I scowered the internet only to find a few things: 1) Watch MSG The Origin after all other UC series, 2) Watch MSG The Origin before 0079 and all other UC series.
I'm slightly confused because some people are saying it is before the events of 0079 and others tell me it's during those events, I've also heard it's about the past while others told me it's a retelling. Dated or not, doesn't matter to me since I'm going to watch it all at some point, the same can also be said about any skippable content or whatever have you. And so, I'd like to know whether I should start with this before 0079 or if I should watch 0079 then this or save it until after all of UC. I'm probably going to watch the 3 original movies immediately after 0079, as well. Any advice so I can start this trek?
I found this link to a UC Gundam chart on another page here earlier today, though it was slightly confusing for me: http://i.imgur.com/L8NkDFf.jpg
Thanks in advance and sorry if this is the wrong topic for the aforementioned.
 
Aug 30, 2017 2:43 AM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 414
@Twileska, you will get different experiences if you watch UC by release date or in chronological order.
There is no way to guess which is the best for you.

The rule of the thumb is that you must watch it in release order but I watched it totally at random: first War in the Pocket, then The 08th MS Team, years latter Unicorn, lately The Origin, MSG 079 movies ect and I am cool with it.

In result I enjoyed MSG 079 movies more because I had some key knowledge from The Origin, they had more deepness for me this way.

some people are saying it is before the events of 0079 and others tell me it's during those events, I've also heard it's about the past while others told me it's a retelling

They are talking about the manga. The main story there is after 079 but there are massive flashbacks. Also some of the events are straitened and reworked.
So far The Origin anime is adapting only the flashbacks and there are no major contradictions with the 079 anime.

I'm probably going to watch the 3 original movies immediately after 0079, as well.

Not sure which movies are you talking about.
Mobile Suit Gundam I, Mobile Suit Gundam II: Soldiers of Sorrow and Mobile Suit Gundam III: Encounters in Space are compressed version of the MSG 0079 TV series.

If you watch the series you can skip the movies and if you watch the movies first and want to enter UC faster you can skip the series, watch Zeta or the OVAs then return to 079 later.

But there is no way around Zeta TV. The movies ( Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: A New Translation - Heir to the Stars, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: A New Translation II - Lovers and Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: A New Translation III - Love Is the Pulse of the Stars) are one big mess.

 
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »