Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 27, 2015 5:35 PM

Jun 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
They could have made a movie out of this story, but I'm glad they didn't because it probably would just have had half and hour of padding added to it.
Feb 27, 2015 7:38 PM
Dec 2011
This single OVA had more character development than the entire TV series.

I like that they actually do find a future where Ataru and Lum get married and that Lum's doorknob is among the new futures created at the end.
Jan 25, 2017 2:59 PM

May 2012
Really loved this OVA to be honest, had a very lovely new story and character development to it! Quite enjoyed the whole concept as well so all in all a great watch!
Feb 27, 2017 5:38 PM

May 2009
OMG Inaba has won my heart in just this one episode XD He's so sweet and I'm glad he got a date with Shinobu :)
I'm also glad that Ataru realizes his harem isn't quite thrilling if Lum isn't in the picture ( and he knocked his future self with a mallet LOL)
Thank goodness there was a future door with Lum and Ataru getting married ( It was sweet when Ataru tried to save it ). Well at least with Lum's doorknob, that new future with their marriage remains :)
Jun 3, 2019 10:10 PM

Sep 2014
What an excellent OVA!
Among the best this series has to offer, and most certainly better than the 3rd and 4th films
I just loved this
Jun 5, 2019 1:32 PM

Jul 2015
One of the best episode from this series so far.

That moment when Ataru beats himself up for the stupid decisions he made, cracked me up.

I really like Inaba together with Shinobu.

This is how the series end, nobody can convince me otherwise.

Sep 26, 2019 5:03 AM

Oct 2010
Excelent episode, inaba is a great guy, finally shinobu found a guy for her, even if he's dressed in a rabbit outfit. Damn rabbits, they were too blood thirsty, I thought they only wanted to punish inaba but they wanted to litterally boil him.
The doornob stuff was fun to watch and ataru's harem was more like a nightmare. 10/10
May 7, 2021 12:55 AM

Jan 2018
I'm a sucker for episodes that explore alternate futures/parallel universes so loved this. I'd have no issues if this was padded out with more alternate realities.
0451May 7, 2021 7:12 AM
Jan 26, 2022 8:16 AM

May 2019
Always love such episode that explore multiple alternatives with the doors to the future. Felt like just watching a movie instead of an OVA. Best episode of the entire series.

Oct 4, 2022 9:56 PM

Jan 2021
What was with the Shinobu redesign? Everyone else looked the same but her face/head was all different. Kept pulling me out of the show. I agree with what was said above though, this in 55 minutes was better than movies 3 and 4 combined.
Jan 12, 2023 1:41 PM

Jul 2022
The true ending of Urusei Yatsura
Nov 25, 2023 5:28 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Well this was a damn nice OVA, the first one so far to be completely new too, it almost felt like a movie due to the length, but the length definitely helped this one feel properly fleshed out. I was thinking we were in for another movie 2 style situation with the dream stuff but this was more about alternate futures than dreams, and I gotta say it was really interesting seeing some of the different scenarios, like what if Shinobu never left Ataru or what if Mendou got with Lum, as well as stuff that would likely actually happen like Sakura and Tsubame having a family, some very cool stuff.

And I had a feeling Ataru’s harem wouldn’t quite be what he wanted it to be, without Lum being there it just wasn’t worth it, and I also really loved the scene where he tried saving the future where he marries Lum, that’s some good development right there. And of course I really enjoyed the progression of Shinobu and Inaba’s relationship, it went from Shinobu wanting to get away from him to crying at the thought of never seeing him again, but thankfully they got a happy ending and even went on a date supposedly, perhaps Shinobu finally found her man, her weird rabbit suit wearing man lol. And lastly the choice of ost in this OVA was very nice indeed, some of my favorites were in there, as well as the great unique OP and ED, definitely movie-like in that regard too.

Well I’m definitely looking forward to the OVAs to come now, even if they’re not quite like this one, as well as the last two movies which I think I need to watch Movie 5 now since I’m doing release order, and I got the Blu-ray for it now so that’s gonna rock lol.
Feb 29, 8:10 AM

Jan 2018
Even though this is technically the third OVA, it's the first true OVA since the first two were basically recaps.

I love this OVA. Not just because I'm a sucker for seeing alternate realities/futures but also cause how this story nicely tied up a loose end from the manga. (Ngl it caught me off guard seeing myself making pretty much the same comment here back when I first watched this.)

Originally, Rumiko Takahashi envisioned Shinobu as the main heroine of Urusei Yatsura, not Lum. It was only later that she changed her mind and promoted Lum to be the main heroine. But she had already written herself to a corner in Chapter 12 where she depicted a future where Shinobu was the one who married Ataru and had a kid named Kokeru. This chapter was never animated in the original series since the anime was made years after Lum had already taken off in popularity.

So, in 1987, almost a decade after she began Urusei Yatsura, Takahashi started to think about ending the series. And the way she thought of doing that was by giving Shinobu, her original heroine, happiness. And that came in the form of Destiny Management Bureau employee Inaba. Honestly, she retconned Chapter 12 in an ingenious way. Most writers would probably ignore its existence. I felt happy for Shinobu cause she finally managed to pull a guy who wasn't a complete jerk.

By the way, Inaba in the OG series is voiced by Hirotaka Suzuoki who'd go on to voice Tatewaki Kuno in Ranma 1/2. It's also a pretty neat coincidence that Shinobu is wearing a dress that resembles the Furinkan High uniform which makes her look like Akane Tendo lol. Sadly, Suzuoki passed away in 2006 at the age of 56.

I also loved how the OVA ended on a note that didn't outright set the future in stone but also didn't leave us hopeless. For an episodic series like Urusei Yatsura, I think it's fitting. The ending of the OVA is slightly different from the ending of the manga story but I think I like it better.

It's crazy how the Remake adapted Chapter 12 of the manga and tied it with this story. Hoping for another great adaptation.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura OVA Episode 11 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Jan 27, 2017

6 by TheColonel76 »»
Dec 28, 2023 1:39 PM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura OVA Episode 10 Discussion

Fronzel - Mar 7, 2015

9 by TheColonel76 »»
Dec 28, 2023 12:42 PM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura OVA Episode 8 Discussion

4 by TheColonel76 »»
Dec 27, 2023 3:04 PM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura OVA Episode 9 Discussion

6 by TheColonel76 »»
Dec 27, 2023 1:56 PM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura OVA Episode 7 Discussion

Fronzel - Mar 3, 2015

6 by TheColonel76 »»
Dec 27, 2023 11:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.