Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Feb 27, 2015 3:13 AM

Dec 2014
CreamZi said:
Wow! That first part with the flashbacks was really good.

ikr as far as I observe, people just hate flashbacks cause they thought its boring.
Feb 27, 2015 3:15 AM

Jun 2013
Damn, that happened sooner than I expected it to. Green hair baby confirms a certain authors identity
Feb 27, 2015 5:12 AM

Jul 2014
Jonesy974 said:
Another decently adapted episode.

Though it was kind of hard to fuck up since it basically had zero Kaneki in it.

Although it was implied, they didn't elaborate on it as heavily as in the manga; his wife had to eat humans to give the baby nutrients.

For the people asking how the CCG knew about Anteiku...Takatsuki ratted them out to Shinohara.

Wellp, the days of peace are over. Anteiku raid will most likely start next week...unless for some stupid ass reason they try to cram the Kanou's Lab arc into 1 episode. (they probably will)

If they finish the rest of this season with Kaneki coming into the raid war and doing the same shit he did in the manga, and having the anime end the same way...then this entire Kaneki entering Aogiri plot will be complete bullshit and utterly pointless.

Gotta love how the entire story aside from Kaneki is the same, and the changes to his story have made him a shit character with an incredibly boring story. AND the tradeoff for that was no Ayato anatomy lesson. The ratings for this finally fell below an 8 because people are actually coming to their senses, but I guarantee if they would've left everything the same then season 2 would have a higher rating than season 1. (Not that MAL ratings mean much in the grand scheme of things)

If they kept the manga story, Each arc would be 1.5 episodes long and Kaneki's monologues would have to be cut anyway to accommodate everything into 12eps. I hate it when non-sensical mangareaders love thrashing the anime.

Another shocking thing people never realized that Kaneki's characterization was also frozen in the manga for some time.He was an okay character even after the sudden development in Aogiri arc until that final chapter.So people shut up. The only complaint is that is Kaneki's screen time. The reason why I loved Tokyo Ghoul Manga was the plot and every single character in the manga was amazing and almost on par with Kaneki(especially Juuzo) and I think the whole cast makes an anime or manga more enjoyable.

This second season has been successful in developing the whole cast so that we can relate to them (which was absent in S1) and with Morita (director of Ep 1 and 12 of S1) still left to direct episodes this season, I think the end will turn out well.

As for this episode 4/5. Can't believe that, it's the same guy from episode 4 who directed this ep.
Feb 27, 2015 5:17 AM

Jul 2014
Who was the woman at the beginning of the ED?
Feb 27, 2015 5:25 AM

Aug 2014
Weso101 said:

Itori, the Bar owner or something.
Feb 27, 2015 5:26 AM

Apr 2014
Weso101 said:

Itori

Edit: Ninja'd
Feb 27, 2015 5:27 AM
Dec 2014
The chief is so great. He's gone through so much and even after his wife died, he remained a good person and continued living his life by moving on :)
I hope he gets to talk with the investigators and tell them what he is and why he did that stuff in the next episode.
j
Feb 27, 2015 6:02 AM

Sep 2014
This was pretty much a SoL episode. I guess this is the calm before the storm.
Feb 27, 2015 6:30 AM

Oct 2014
So, I've basically cried my eyes out both when I read the manga and when I saw Kuzen's story in the anime ;A; so sad ohmygod! By the way, what's the soundtrack that plays during it?
Feb 27, 2015 6:36 AM

Sep 2013
This scene </3

Feb 27, 2015 6:37 AM
Dec 2014
BiriBiri21 said:
This scene </3

Right in the kokoro
j
Feb 27, 2015 6:39 AM

Sep 2013
^ yeah, inaban T___T
Feb 27, 2015 6:49 AM

Aug 2010
animeranker98 said:
Jonesy974 said:
Another decently adapted episode.

Though it was kind of hard to fuck up since it basically had zero Kaneki in it.

Although it was implied, they didn't elaborate on it as heavily as in the manga; his wife had to eat humans to give the baby nutrients.

For the people asking how the CCG knew about Anteiku...Takatsuki ratted them out to Shinohara.

Wellp, the days of peace are over. Anteiku raid will most likely start next week...unless for some stupid ass reason they try to cram the Kanou's Lab arc into 1 episode. (they probably will)

If they finish the rest of this season with Kaneki coming into the raid war and doing the same shit he did in the manga, and having the anime end the same way...then this entire Kaneki entering Aogiri plot will be complete bullshit and utterly pointless.

Gotta love how the entire story aside from Kaneki is the same, and the changes to his story have made him a shit character with an incredibly boring story. AND the tradeoff for that was no Ayato anatomy lesson. The ratings for this finally fell below an 8 because people are actually coming to their senses, but I guarantee if they would've left everything the same then season 2 would have a higher rating than season 1. (Not that MAL ratings mean much in the grand scheme of things)

If they kept the manga story, Each arc would be 1.5 episodes long and Kaneki's monologues would have to be cut anyway to accommodate everything into 12eps. I hate it when non-sensical mangareaders love thrashing the anime.

Another shocking thing people never realized that Kaneki's characterization was also frozen in the manga for some time.He was an okay character even after the sudden development in Aogiri arc until that final chapter.So people shut up. The only complaint is that is Kaneki's screen time. The reason why I loved Tokyo Ghoul Manga was the plot and every single character in the manga was amazing and almost on par with Kaneki(especially Juuzo) and I think the whole cast makes an anime or manga more enjoyable.

This second season has been successful in developing the whole cast so that we can relate to them (which was absent in S1) and with Morita (director of Ep 1 and 12 of S1) still left to direct episodes this season, I think the end will turn out well.

As for this episode 4/5. Can't believe that, it's the same guy from episode 4 who directed this ep.

Minus Kaneki this anime is a pretty decent adaptation. But defending in how they handled Kaneki is going too far. Saying his development was frozen in the manga after Aogiri arc? Most his fans come from because of what he has done after Aogiri arc. Seeing everything he did was such a joy to watch. I especially loved some of his lines. So yeah what makes TG great is all the characters. But Kaneki is pretty much nonexistent and might as well not been in the anime at all tbh.

Also if this was a 24 episode anime it could've actually been great. Develop and show the side characters like they're doing now and most importantly Kaneki.
Feb 27, 2015 7:01 AM

Jul 2013
Beautiful episode...Anteiku raid is so close, I can almost feel the pain of it.

Yoshimura's story and the OST this episode were so glorious. Cant wait for shit to go down next episode.
Feb 27, 2015 7:17 AM

Jul 2013
after a long time i finally looking forward to this.
20 more chapters in 5 episodes, meaning 5 chapter each episode, should be okay, i guess (similar to first episode covered 5 chapters)

also,
current LN reading:
Death March kara hajimaru isekai kyousoukyoku
translated here
for those who are interested in other forums about animes, check randomc.net, reddit.com/r/anime and forum.animesuki.com
Feb 27, 2015 8:04 AM

Jun 2014
They animated Yoshimura's past really well, I'm glad! That music towards the end of his story ;-;

I have to say the second part of the episode was pretty slow, but whatever. Next episode should be when things start to get exciting.

Loved the artwork for the ending.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 27, 2015 8:38 AM

Jul 2014
Ragna92 said:
animeranker98 said:

Minus Kaneki this anime is a pretty decent adaptation. But defending in how they handled Kaneki is going too far. Saying his development was frozen in the manga after Aogiri arc? Most his fans come from because of what he has done after Aogiri arc. Seeing everything he did was such a joy to watch. I especially loved some of his lines. So yeah what makes TG great is all the characters. But Kaneki is pretty much nonexistent and might as well not been in the anime at all tbh.

Also if this was a 24 episode anime it could've actually been great. Develop and show the side characters like they're doing now and most importantly Kaneki.

I do agree to most what you said. Even I loved some of his lines. But there was something off until the end. Kanous lab might be the last arc. Who knows? It's an alternate route after all
Feb 27, 2015 8:42 AM

Nov 2013
The ED pictures are always so amazing.
Quite an emotional episode.
Feb 27, 2015 9:30 AM

Oct 2013
Holy shit dat TENSION! I was constantly on the edge of my seat during those moments when Shinohara entered Anteiku, bracing myself for shit to go down then & there, when he was drinking coffee with old man Yoshimura. Guess that's gonna have to wait for next episode though, but whatever, it was tense & emotional regardless. Gonna be sad to see Anteiku gone, which is most likely what's gonna happen. Touka & Hinami in particular are so not gonna take it well.
Feb 27, 2015 9:39 AM
Jun 2014
Was I the only one who disliked the first part (Manager's backstory)? I mean, they didn't tell us:
1.) why he was killing ghouls and humans in the first place (it seems like he was looking for a place to call home but why?)
2.) why she loved him enough that she was willing to accept a ghoul for a husband and bear his child while eating other humans to make sure that the child survived (apparently because he likes to sit at the same place drinking coffee without sugar)
3.) why he continued his murdering job even though he found someone special to him.
Because of this, they felt a bit hollow since I don't know why they did what they did. Although I have read the manga, it would have been nice if the anime version was able to answer these questions by itself. P.S. I enjoyed the pacing of the rest of the episode and the insert songs fit the scenes so well.
Feb 27, 2015 9:58 AM

Aug 2010
animeranker98 said:
I do agree to most what you said. Even I loved some of his lines. But there was something off until the end. Kanous lab might be the last arc. Who knows? It's an alternate route after all
Maybe. We can always hope. I just think this anime could've been a lot better if it was actually 24 episodes. Kaneki has a great VA. It would be awesome as hell to see more of him. He really does a good job in bringing Kaneki's character to life. Maybe most the alternate route stuff will take place in the final 4 episodes like you say.
Feb 27, 2015 10:16 AM

Jan 2013
4 episodes to go, I guess that it will be more 1 and half of plot up and then 2 and half of fighting?
I liked the episode.

Sparteh said:
People are gonna complain no matter what, so what is the difference XD

True. I can see for the 1 and 2 votes that there is on the poll, this episode was pretty much explanation of who the Howl and one eyed ghoul is, and the build up, but oh well...

GreenBenjamin said:
Oh and inb4 some manga readers complain AGAIN! Along with super kaneki fans.

Well, the only complain I have is Hide, he had more screen time on the manga, and I dunno how what they will do to him here, and he is a cool character who deserved more development in the anime.

There's also another thing but I think that they will stick it near the end, since it's an important one that should had been already revealed, otherwise, I like both seasons... could be better? Yes it could. But it's not that bad, they're good.
Feb 27, 2015 10:17 AM

Nov 2013
andyv said:
Was I the only one who disliked the first part (Manager's backstory)? I mean, they didn't tell us:
1.) why he was killing ghouls and humans in the first place (it seems like he was looking for a place to call home but why?)
2.) why she loved him enough that she was willing to accept a ghoul for a husband and bear his child while eating other humans to make sure that the child survived (apparently because he likes to sit at the same place drinking coffee without sugar)
3.) why he continued his murdering job even though he found someone special to him.
Because of this, they felt a bit hollow since I don't know why they did what they did. Although I have read the manga, it would have been nice if the anime version was able to answer these questions by itself. P.S. I enjoyed the pacing of the rest of the episode and the insert songs fit the scenes so well.

His backstory was never about his wife or their romance, or even himself. Kaneki asked about the Owl and the manager told him about it. If you've been paying attention than you know that the [current] Owl is that (his) child / the one-eyed ghoul. The backstory was only meant to shed light into its existence.
Feb 27, 2015 10:45 AM

Apr 2012
HandsomeMan said:
andyv said:

His backstory was never about his wife or their romance, or even himself. Kaneki asked about the Owl and the manager told him about it. If you've been paying attention than you know that the [current] Owl is that (his) child / the one-eyed ghoul. The backstory was only meant to shed light into its existence.

Doesnt change that the backstory was bad. The motivations where really weak, the actions lacked sense.
Feb 27, 2015 11:03 AM

Mar 2014
WOW this is amazing great as ever !!

I think I know where this is going (since I already the manga) but the story felt fresh and new. So I believe they may come up with hopefully a satisfying outcome
Feb 27, 2015 11:18 AM

Aug 2011
Kinda slow ep when I'm used to them rushing everything since the 1st season began. At least they didn't botch up Yoshimura's past, that was a relief.
But what concrete evidence did they even have to plan the Anteiku raid other than someone's "gut feeling?" If they stated it in the manga, I've forgotten...
死ねカス国に帰れ
Feb 27, 2015 11:28 AM

Apr 2014
shiroyume said:
Kinda slow ep when I'm used to them rushing everything since the 1st season began. At least they didn't botch up Yoshimura's past, that was a relief.
But what concrete evidence did they even have to plan the Anteiku raid other than someone's "gut feeling?" If they stated it in the manga, I've forgotten...

Takatsuki tipped them off last episode.
Feb 27, 2015 12:09 PM
Feb 2015
Great Episode... A bit sad towards the end knowing what's about to happen.

When Touka said she'd stay with a relative, was she referring to Yomo?
Feb 27, 2015 12:35 PM

Apr 2014
NDragon27 said:

Yes.
Feb 27, 2015 12:54 PM
Feb 2015
Z4k said:
NDragon27 said:

Yes.

Could that be a hint that Yomo is her uncle?
Feb 27, 2015 12:57 PM

Apr 2014
NDragon27 said:
Z4k said:

Yes.

Could that be a hint that Yomo is her uncle?

Feb 27, 2015 2:00 PM

Nov 2013
baki502 said:
HandsomeMan said:

Doesnt change that the backstory was bad. The motivations where really weak, the actions lacked sense.

Again, it wasn't about him. It would make less sense if the manager started talking about his past and why he did what he did, when Kaneki didn't come to the coffee shop to ask about his past in the first place.
Feb 27, 2015 2:25 PM

Jan 2013
Who knew drinking coffee would be as intense as the fight scenes on this show
Feb 27, 2015 3:53 PM

Oct 2014
Please pay your respects to Anteiku for the next few episodes
Feb 27, 2015 7:06 PM

Oct 2012
All them feels, and this episode also got me really pumped for what will come next :)
Feb 28, 2015 12:20 AM
Jul 2018
It was nice seeing that part of the manga animated, for the first time this season I'm actually looking forward to the next episode.
Feb 28, 2015 1:12 AM
Dec 2014
Not Kuzen! He's not the Owl! It's his child! Oh no, someone's gonna die aren't they. Looks like some serious shit will go down next episode.
Feb 28, 2015 3:04 AM

Aug 2013
Really cool back story on owl(s). I feel nervous about the raid, i really hope Yoshimura and the others will be okay but i have a feeling that it will not end well...
My Candies:
Feb 28, 2015 3:50 AM

Jul 2009
What a surprise, I was thinking Quzin was the Owl, but now we have 2...his disappeared son is also one!
Anteiku is going down =/
I hope Nishiki doesn't die...
Btw, I really like that song that always play when the episode is almost over...
Feb 28, 2015 5:07 AM
Jan 2014
Good episode, that was a great flashback and I like the Ost discrete but really well suited to set the tone for the show.
Feb 28, 2015 6:37 AM

Jan 2014
The best episode. Why? Because it was about nothing.

5/5
Feb 28, 2015 7:04 AM

May 2014
Sparteh said:
I can already feel all those rage screams of those who loved anime and haven't read the manga

haah, Ikr. What i am curious about is who were the Owl. If this haven't been told in the anime, plz don't answer. From what I have understood it's Yoshimura's child. The one eyed Ghoul. Or is it Yoshimura himself? :/
Feb 28, 2015 7:14 AM

May 2014
Very nice and good ep. The sad backstory of Yoshimura were heartbreaking. Especially when Ukina died and when he left his child to stay her out of danger. :((

What I really am curious about and want to find out is why Anteiku are going to be raided. I mean they haven't done anything criminal, so why do they want to raid the place and kill the director. I mean he can be cooperative. I know he can be dangerous, but he hasn't done anything for a so long time. Wouldn't that be wrong? ? :/
Feb 28, 2015 5:29 PM

Jul 2012
Oh boy! Its almost time to fuck up the next and last arc.

Inc pseudo Anteiku raid
Mar 1, 2015 2:51 AM
May 2014
Despite the obvious major flaws, I think people are a little bias about this season. Like, dont get me wrong. I gave season 1 a 5/10 and I thought 80% of it was boring. I find season 2 much more captivating in comparison yet feels like I'm alone to think that. Maybe it's because I havent read the manga and am ignorant to the original story. What's up?
Mar 1, 2015 3:33 AM

Feb 2015
Is the manga very different from the anime?
and also will der be a problem is I start reading the manga now ? I love the anime but this waiting for next episode is bugging me

Mar 1, 2015 3:59 AM

Mar 2013
RIP Ukina
The latter half of the episode was just all about dat coffee drinking xD So intense :D
Mar 1, 2015 4:22 AM

Oct 2014
That was a good episode. Now I am very curious to see what happen in the next episode. Hope Kaneki show up and get out of control :D
Mar 1, 2015 1:51 PM
Apr 2014
This was quite the emotional episode :( Was waiting for anything to happen but it didn't. Curious what'll happen when it's time.
Mar 1, 2015 2:50 PM

Oct 2011
Kuzan's past was sad. He became the Owl.

So he opened a coffee shop to remember Ukina.

Looks like he won't ever get to see his daughter and everyone from Anteiku.

How did Amon know he was the Owl? What gave it away? Did he meet him in the past?
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2015

760 by ShirJager »»
Yesterday, 5:39 PM

» How do you feel

JoahAnime - Apr 18, 2022

37 by Zimmu »»
Apr 3, 11:48 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2015

402 by efectiviuli »»
Feb 18, 2:29 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 12, 2015

256 by dustyblue »»
Feb 7, 12:39 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 15, 2015

300 by RapidPhantom »»
Jan 23, 7:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.