Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 21, 2015 9:19 PM

Nov 2011
Innadi said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

Standing out from all the others, doing things that weren't done before, having your own style that's yours alone, things like that though in all honesty there's a lot more to it. Why?

I wanted to ask that because I wanted to understand why you didn't get the fandom for Radiohead. As much as I like originality and exploration, I do not think that a musician has to be truly unique or "avant garde" for them to be good artists. Building on what has been done by people before and finding your own voice in doing so is also very novel. That being said, I get the feeling that we're both saying the same thing. :p

Well all that's fine but its the extremity of Radiohead's fan base I don't get. They tend to be elitist and think Radiohead is more artsy, deep, and intelligent than every other artist.
Feb 21, 2015 9:21 PM

Dec 2007
Ah yeah, good call on the shibuya-kei scene. Pizzicato Five was another big name.
Feb 21, 2015 9:25 PM
Jan 2015
Waifu_Strangler said:
Innadi said:

I wanted to ask that because I wanted to understand why you didn't get the fandom for Radiohead. As much as I like originality and exploration, I do not think that a musician has to be truly unique or "avant garde" for them to be good artists. Building on what has been done by people before and finding your own voice in doing so is also very novel. That being said, I get the feeling that we're both saying the same thing. :p

Well all that's fine but its the extremity of Radiohead's fan base I don't get. They tend to be elitist and think Radiohead is more artsy, deep, and intelligent than every other artist.

Just because some of the Radiohead fans you know act in such a way doesn't mean that you can say the same about the entirety of Radiohead's fandom. I do get where you're coming from though (having seen a few such people myself). Anybody who tends to be elitist and play the role of pretend-hippe (source - me) has either not heard enough music, or is downright pretentious.
Feb 21, 2015 9:29 PM

Nov 2011
Innadi said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

Just because some of the Radiohead fans you know act in such a way doesn't mean that you can say the same about the entirety of Radiohead's fandom. I do get where you're coming from though (having seen a few such people myself). Anybody who tends to be elitist and play the role of pretend-hippe (source - me) has either not heard enough music, or are downright pretentious.

Well it seems like the vast majority of them have been like that. Maybe its just coincidence though. I've gotten flamed quite a bit for not liking the band.
Feb 21, 2015 9:46 PM
Jan 2015
Waifu_Strangler said:
Innadi said:

Just because some of the Radiohead fans you know act in such a way doesn't mean that you can say the same about the entirety of Radiohead's fandom. I do get where you're coming from though (having seen a few such people myself). Anybody who tends to be elitist and play the role of pretend-hippe (source - me) has either not heard enough music, or are downright pretentious.

Well it seems like the vast majority of them have been like that. Maybe its just coincidence though. I've gotten flamed quite a bit for not liking the band.

True fans don't rub their interests in other people's faces. I guess we're veering off-topic. I find it especially hard to appreciate bebop. It's inaccessible and gives off a high-art vibe. Seems like it is an acquired taste.
Feb 21, 2015 9:47 PM

Jun 2014
SchnickelFritz said:
Ah yeah, good call on the shibuya-kei scene. Pizzicato Five was another big name.

Not bad! Looks like I need to focus on more Japanese music.

Feb 22, 2015 1:49 AM

Jul 2012
if only people had some real issues behinds hating on radiohead. what a waste pf energy

and truthfully saying hipsters love them is insulting. they are loved my many. of every sort of human

frankly its disgusting to dismiss an artist like that
Feb 22, 2015 2:23 AM

Mar 2014
Working_Designs said:
gizter13 said:

and i pity you even more.

Okay then, go ahead, try to find post-1990 English language songs that sound any good, because they can be counted on the fingers of one hand.

i didnt feel like reposting one of those entire chains agian, zo replying to this coment.
i cant recomend you anything since our tastes really differ.
but the thing is that theres still bands/artists playing all the genres there where back back in the day, myself prefer the 80's mainly the metal and punk, but theres still good speed metal comming out totay,

i also see the part where you do find songs in games and anime you like, as acknowledging you don't try to look for newer music, but sometimes still come across something you do like while doing something else, (where i cant deny that sometimes songs are easier to get into when they are linked to another interest)
but really man, whatever floats your boat. not trying to say you have to listen to new artists, but it just sounds increcibly close minded to disregard it all.

PS. the part where you said all or a lot of old people think like that isn't quite the case. all old people i know, still love new artists aswell. my grandads favorite singer is one that broke through like 5 years ago.

i actualy started to pity the other guy more though. seems he plays in a band himself while saying everyting past 91 is crap. by his judgement that means his band also sounds like crap since its not the 80's anymore.
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.
Feb 22, 2015 4:17 AM

Apr 2014
Maybe I don't quite get IDM. It sounds very dry to me. Other than that, everything I dislike really is just bad.

You gotta love MAL... let's play noisegrind and shit to try and get someone who only likes the 50's and 60's into modern music. I bet he or she would even dismiss some of the fairly accessible modern progressive rock that I like. Then again, video game music and certain other soundtracks take heavy influence from prog. Anyway, modern music has stuff like this too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW_6aQGIP5o

But yeah, I also tend to like stuff that is largely within styles that've been around a while. Modern production values are superior though, when people know what they're doing.

Here's another one, getting a bit more risky and modern (sort of), still very tuneful though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UHwkfhwjsk
Feb 22, 2015 5:29 AM

Mar 2014
Dumbstep
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 22, 2015 7:55 AM

Aug 2008
Altairius said:
Maybe I don't quite get IDM. It sounds very dry to me. Other than that, everything I dislike really is just bad.
IDM is more appreciable when you try to compose it. A lot of IDM artists grew up with sequencers or trackers, saw the potential they had, and sought to use them to the absolute maximum (whether it be filling the entire memory of an LSDJ cart, a CF card, or filling the screen with samples while still maintaining a rhythm, much of it evolved from that mindset).

Two generations of IDM; the latter's tribute to the former:

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.
Feb 22, 2015 8:00 AM

Mar 2013
I don't get the Beatles

like they are okay and all but the best band ever? nah
Feb 22, 2015 8:08 AM

Mar 2012
Definitely Queen.

Bohemian Rapshitty is plain crap.
Why do people like it?
End Zionazism
Feb 22, 2015 8:11 AM

May 2014
Promethazine said:
I don't get the Beatles

It think its cause their music is pretty unique for their time, it really changed the industry back in the 60's
I've been here way too long...
Feb 22, 2015 8:15 AM

Aug 2008
TheConquerer said:
Promethazine said:
I don't get the Beatles

It think its cause their music is pretty unique for their time, it really changed the industry back in the 60's
A lot of innovation happened on their watch as well, particularly in recording.
Not a fan myself, but I do appreciate their contributions.
Yellow Submarine was the first album I ever bought.
DeseradaFeb 22, 2015 8:20 AM
Feb 22, 2015 8:26 AM
Jul 2009
Skyline_R said:
Pop shit, like One Direction, Lady Gaga, etc.

Yeah, I don't get how they can stomach listening to these.

No music, no life. Know music, know life. Thomas Carlyle
Feb 22, 2015 8:54 AM

Nov 2011
daintybiscuit said:
if only people had some real issues behinds hating on radiohead. what a waste pf energy

and truthfully saying hipsters love them is insulting. they are loved my many. of every sort of human

OK well how about the fact I find their music boring, forgettable, and uninspired? They simply aren't interesting and above all there songs are quite forgettable. They're actually kinda annoying to me and I find Yorke's voice quite grating.
Feb 22, 2015 9:48 AM

Apr 2014
Radiohead just aren't great songwriters. You see the extent of their songwriting with OK Computer, which has one good prog track (Paranoid Android) and a bunch of ok songs that rely too much on production and instrumentation. That's not to say there's no appeal or merit to those songs. You can't get the same vibe from say, the Hollies. I'm just saying their appeals are largely superficial and they aren't necessarily a better group than the Hollies. Incidentally, I made that comparison before recalling the connection between The Air That I Breathe and Creep. I like the original better.

After OK Computer, they almost entirely filter out the songwriting. I think, with very few exceptions, 'atmosphere' alone doesn't cut it. Plus, yeah, his voice is not appealing.
Feb 22, 2015 10:06 AM

Aug 2008
Altairius said:
'atmosphere' alone doesn't cut it
Radiohead drastically changes stylistically with almost every release. If you're expecting anthems and ballads a la Pablo Honey every time, you're looking in the wrong place.
Feb 22, 2015 11:14 AM

Nov 2011
Deserada said:
Altairius said:
'atmosphere' alone doesn't cut it
Radiohead drastically changes stylistically with almost every release. If you're expecting anthems and ballads a la Pablo Honey every time, you're looking in the wrong place.

Can also does this but with more success.
Feb 22, 2015 12:45 PM

Jul 2012
Waifu_Strangler said:
daintybiscuit said:

OK well how about the fact I find their music boring, forgettable, and uninspired? They simply aren't interesting and above all there songs are quite forgettable. They're actually kinda annoying to me and I find Yorke's voice quite grating.

just don't go around calling people hipsters. i'm a music lover, not a hipster. its really not fair to throw that label around. as if only one kind of person likes them.
Feb 22, 2015 12:53 PM

Nov 2011
daintybiscuit said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

just don't go around calling people hipsters. i'm a music lover, not a hipster. its really not fair to throw that label around. as if only one kind of person likes them.

I didn't mean to but be sure I've been called a hipster plenty. Much of what I listen to is far less accessible than Radiohead.
Feb 22, 2015 12:54 PM

Mar 2013
Deserada said:
TheConquerer said:

they were a revolutionary band, agreed, and I like some of their songs/albums but something still doesn't feel right to me
Feb 22, 2015 1:04 PM

Nov 2011
Promethazine said:
Deserada said:

they were a revolutionary band, agreed, and I like some of their songs/albums but something still doesn't feel right to me

Generally every song on their albums was at least interesting. No other band at the time or since is as good at combining accessible pop tune formats with experimental and avant garde elements. They really did have their own feel and I love their surreal lyrics and occasional use of dark humor.
Feb 22, 2015 6:18 PM

Aug 2011
Well, this is a cute thread. I remember my high school hipster phase...someone needs to find me that BORN IN THE WRONG GENERATION Filthy Frank video. Seriously kids, life is more fun when you try to enjoy more things and dislike fewer things.

I tend to believe that people who claimed to dislike Vocaloid haven't really given it a fair chance...Vocaloid encompasses a lot of different genres and styles, so it's not just cutesy pop stuff. There's a lot of Vocaloid jazz and EDM that is pretty mature, with none of the squeaky "robotic" sounding voices most people complain about. Also, if the only Vocaloid you've listened to is Miku then you really can't judge the whole of Vocaloid music...

As for music I personally don't get, I've never really been into American rap music. I guess it's because I don't really care for the kind of lifestyle a lot of rap artists promote. But rap in general is okay, and I tend to enjoy it more when I can't understand what they're saying. For the most part I'm pretty open to all types of music though. I always like finding new stuff to get into so I never completely write off any genre of music.
_mahoushoujos_Feb 22, 2015 6:25 PM
Feb 22, 2015 6:44 PM

Aug 2008
tsunamaru said:
Well, this is a cute thread. I remember my high school hipster phase...someone needs to find me that BORN IN THE WRONG GENERATION Filthy Frank video. Seriously kids, life is more fun when you try to enjoy more things and dislike fewer things.

I tend to believe that people who claimed to dislike Vocaloid haven't really given it a fair chance...Vocaloid encompasses a lot of different genres and styles, so it's not just cutesy pop stuff. There's a lot of Vocaloid jazz and EDM that is pretty mature, with none of the squeaky "robotic" sounding voices most people complain about. Also, if the only Vocaloid you've listened to is Miku then you really can't judge the whole of Vocaloid music...

As for music I personally don't get, I've never really been into American rap music. I guess it's because I don't really care for the kind of lifestyle a lot of rap artists promote. But rap in general is okay, and I tend to enjoy it more when I can't understand what they're saying. For the most part I'm pretty open to all types of music though. I always like finding new stuff to get into so I never completely write off any genre of music.
The value in vocaloid productions, to me, is in the ability to probe the absolute limits of voice. I find that looking for a human in any given vocaloid voice is misguided, and instead the nuances of vocaloid as an instrument should be emphasized.
Feb 22, 2015 6:44 PM

Nov 2011
tsunamaru said:

I wasn't born in the wrong generation. With this generation I have access to all the good stuff from the older generation.
Feb 22, 2015 6:45 PM

Nov 2011
Deserada said:
tsunamaru said:

The value in vocaloid productions, to me, is in the ability to probe the absolute limits of voice. I find that looking for a human in any given vocaloid voice is misguided, and instead the nuances of vocaloid as an instrument should be emphasized.

I just don't see the charm in vocaloids over real music artists but that's just me.
Feb 22, 2015 7:02 PM

Aug 2008
Waifu_Strangler said:
Deserada said:

I just don't see the charm in vocaloids over real music artists but that's just me.
Vocaloid music is produced by regular musicians, the only difference is that the vocals are synthesized/programmed by said musician. One of my pet peeves is how commonly people credit the vocaloid software before the artist (if they mention the artist at all); it's like crediting a sequencer or a guitar.

If you would like, I could recommend something for you. I've been listening to vocaloid music since 2008, and not much has been released without my noticing it.
Feb 22, 2015 7:04 PM

Jun 2014
Waifu_Strangler said:
tsunamaru said:

I wasn't born in the wrong generation. With this generation I have access to all the good stuff from the older generation.

You make a good point. We have the internet to research all the old music we want, even the most obscure. If we were in the 1960s, we would be limited to the radio, the records we could afford to buy, the records at a friends place, and perhaps at bars, dance halls, and stores.

All of a sudden, the present doesn't seem so bad anymore.

Feb 22, 2015 7:25 PM

Nov 2011
Deserada said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

Vocaloid music is produced by regular musicians, the only difference is that the vocals are synthesized/programmed by said musician. One of my pet peeves is how commonly people credit the vocaloid software before the artist (if they mention the artist at all); it's like crediting a sequencer or a guitar.

If you would like, I could recommend something for you. I've been listening to vocaloid music since 2008, and not much has been released without my noticing it.

I didn't really mean I hate vocaloid music that Nyan cat song is quite catchy I just don't see any of it being up to par with stuff like Throbbing Gristle, Magma, Les Ralizes Denudes, The Residents, Brian Eno, or my favorite band Can.
Feb 22, 2015 7:27 PM

Nov 2011
Working_Designs said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

You make a good point. We have the internet to research all the old music we want, even the most obscure. If we were in the 1960s, we would be limited to the radio, the records we could afford to buy, the records at a friends place, and perhaps at bars, dance halls, and stores.

All of a sudden, the present doesn't seem so bad anymore.

Also tbh I feel life would be much more bland without shitty modern music to hate lol. Seriously though being a fan of obscure stuff God bless the internet!
Feb 22, 2015 8:16 PM

Nov 2014
Deserada said:
tsunamaru said:

How about letting ordinary people create their own songs? Or make covers of songs? I think a great deal of people are very much into vocal music and want to make their own songs but feel like they can't sing for life, and so vocaloids are quite useful in these situations. And tbh, it's not so much looking for a human in a vocaloid voice, it's treating a vocaloid as it's own character. Which kind of make sense since many vocaloids have a character design and given age and gender.
Feb 22, 2015 9:10 PM

Dec 2007
Radiohead is a very important band for me. I got into them during those difficult teen years, when I was just starting to really explore music, so it was good timing. Ever since first hearing it in '98, OKC remains my favorite album, so I have a hard time understanding a lot of the hate. I wonder how much of it is backlash towards their popularity or the admittedly sometimes obnoxious fanbase. This can be discouraging, as a fan.

Which reminds me, Pink Floyd, who they are often compared to, is probably the biggest artist I don't quite get (and I've been criticized for this, doubly so as a Radiohead fan). Animals is great, PatGoD and Meddle are very good, however I don't care for their best known albums: DSotM is average, WYWH and The Wall are mediocre. The production is gimmicky, the vaunted atmosphere falls flat for me more often then not, resulting in overlong and dull stretches, and with the exception of Animals and a few other tracks, I dislike the guitar playing, which usually comes across as wankery to my ears. I'm just not all that impressed with them, in general.
Feb 22, 2015 9:38 PM

Nov 2011
SchnickelFritz said:
Radiohead is a very important band for me. I got into them during those difficult teen years, when I was just starting to really explore music, so it was good timing. Ever since first hearing it in '98, OKC remains my favorite album, so I have a hard time understanding a lot of the hate. I wonder how much of it is backlash towards their popularity or the admittedly sometimes obnoxious fanbase. This can be discouraging, as a fan.

Which reminds me, Pink Floyd, who they are often compared to, is probably the biggest artist I don't quite get (and I've been criticized for this, doubly so as a Radiohead fan). Animals is great, PatGoD and Meddle are very good, however I don't care for their best known albums: DSotM is average, WYWH and The Wall are mediocre. The production is gimmicky, the vaunted atmosphere falls flat for me more often then not, resulting in overlong and dull stretches, and with the exception of Animals and a few other tracks, I dislike the guitar playing, which usually comes across as wankery to my ears. I'm just not all that impressed with them, in general.

Well I feel the exact opposite. I'm not as huge a Pink Floyd fan as I used to be but their concepts and Ideas remain so much more unique and interesting than Radiohead who just seems like an alt pop group trying to play watered down Krautrock or at least that's how I feel about Kid A the one album I managed to stomach. They're just so damn forgettable to me. Their musical ideas I don't see as anything new. I don't see this emotional and deep side of the band they don't come off as anymore relatable than any other group who's whining about how much their life sucks and I suffer from depression so I know how it feels to bitch about life not being great enough.

Simply put theirs no reason I can find to praise the group. They just aren't interesting and their songs are unbelievably forgettable. I don't see why fans are so hateful to people who don't like Radiohead. Can, Brian Eno, Magma, The Residents, and Throbbing Gristle are artists who actually broke ground and did new things and brought new ideas and concepts to music yet they don't have nearly as rabid of fan bases.
Feb 22, 2015 10:00 PM

Dec 2007
I'm not hateful, just feel a bit sad and discouraged, as I said, and it's only exacerbated because of the added attention, thus backlash, their popularity brings.

Oh well, what can ya do.. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Again, I don't really understand your criticisms, I feel quite the opposite about them, obviously, but I shouldn't feel like I need to make excuses for liking what I do, though. Silly me.

Innovation and the like is nice, and sure it can add to one's appreciation, but honestly, I don't give a toss as long as I can dig the music itself. This used to be so important to me, but now I mostly care about enjoyment (my 20 year old self would be rolling his eyes right now, heh).
SchnickelFritzFeb 22, 2015 10:06 PM
Feb 22, 2015 10:17 PM

Nov 2011
Enjoyment is most important but I enjoy a lot of well executed atmospheres and fine textures which is usually best with the artists who went out and brought new things to the table because they have their own thing that others don't.
Feb 22, 2015 10:25 PM
Jul 2018
J.cole some people on the internet are saying he is one of the few saving hippity hop but he is soooo boring instead of banging my head i nod it to sleep personally I prefer Mac Miller especially his new mixtape called faces that shit was dope as fuck.
Feb 23, 2015 2:59 AM

Jul 2012
Waifu_Strangler said:
daintybiscuit said:

I didn't mean to but be sure I've been called a hipster plenty. Much of what I listen to is far less accessible than Radiohead.

i have absolutely zero reason to pick a fight with you so i hope you don't see it as such. Listening to less "accessible" music doesn't not make you a special person
it makes you someone who t listens to less accessible music. its actually objective.
its simple a fact.

"i do this", "i do that"
Feb 23, 2015 5:48 AM

Nov 2011
daintybiscuit said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

i have absolutely zero reason to pick a fight with you so i hope you don't see it as such. Listening to less "accessible" music doesn't not make you a special person
it makes you someone who t listens to less accessible music. its actually objective.
its simple a fact.

"i do this", "i do that"

I meant that it makes me get called a hipster a lot >.>
Feb 23, 2015 9:03 AM

Mar 2014
-shotz said:
gizter13 said:
also dont like those early punk bands like the Sex Pistols, the Clash and Ramones. i can understand people respecting them for what they did back then, but theres so many better punk bands out there.
i probably like more punk from the 90s-00s than the 70s and 80s. i still like a lot of those older bands, there's just more variety now.

yeah, for me its mostly 80's and 90's though, but still lots of kickass bands forming these days.
mostly into crust myself, which the 90's did a great job at.
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.
Feb 23, 2015 10:29 AM

Mar 2014
-shotz said:
gizter13 said:

yeah, for me its mostly 80's and 90's though, but still lots of kickass bands forming these days.
mostly into crust myself, which the 90's did a great job at.
for sure, most crust bands don't really do it for me but i really like antischism, nausea, bumbklaat

dont know Bumbklaat. will check em. love antischism's Who's The Enemy, if you like them you might like Anti Product and Contravene aswell.
i am a massive sucker for these doom/sludge influenced bands, Dystopia is the most known example of that. Carol Ann, Misanthropic, Corpus Vile and stuff like that is my favorite music,

whats the kinda punk you prefer then?
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.
Feb 23, 2015 12:04 PM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Favorite childhood TV shows?

56709 - Yesterday

8 by ryan77999 »»
23 minutes ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7599 by juanlqr »»
6 hours ago

» What's your favorite song?

DollzchanAi - 9 hours ago

2 by DollzchanAi »»
9 hours ago

» Where do you stream music?

Cammell - Feb 17

30 by DollzchanAi »»
Yesterday, 3:17 PM

» New Golden Axe animated series announced by Comedy Central

tchitchouan - Yesterday

4 by Adnash »»
Yesterday, 3:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.