Forum Settings
Forums

Eden - Easy anime watcher using IRC DCC protocol

New
Feb 19, 2015 2:15 PM
Mar 2012
Well, I am not sure if this is allowed by the rules(its a bit of a grey area to me) but if this is indeed forbidden then I will remove all links and posts.

THIS APPLICATION IS STILL IN DEVELOPMENT AND UNSTABLE AS HELL, if you expect a fully working application you will have to wait. But its working good enough to put out to the world :). Also, if you encounter any problems like a grey kind of overlay press f5, which fixes it most of the time!

What is Eden?

Well, you can compare this program for the most part to popcorn time / time4popcorn, but then completely focused on anime. The only difference(and in mine opinion its better) is that it does not use p2p(bittorrent protocol). Its still in development and misses a lot of usesfull features, its also unstable and some anime wont play (fix for that soon).

But if it is not using torrents, then what does it use?

Something I am very fond of :), it's called XDCC. XDCC is a IRC protocol used for file transfers using TCP (some kind of client to client protocol). Its generally faster then torrents and more relaiable, you dont have to worry about seeders. Its also a very easy protocol to understand (hence why I use XDCC instead of p2p) Another benefit of XDCC is that you do not upload while downloading.

So XDCC is according to you the almighty protocol for downloading anime?

Yes and no. Its generally faster, but that really depends on the server where the files are residing. Luckely most of the servers where anime are stored are generally really fast, I can get around 6- 10 MB/s (60 - 100 Mbit) from most servers. The anime content on XDCC is not as big as on the torrent scene, you can find all the recent anime on XDCC but only a few older ones, mostly popular animes like bebop and ghost in the shell could be found on xdcc as well, which could be a downside for some people. Another big + for me is that when downloading a file over XDCC its done sequentially, meaning that you can actually start playing the file almost directly after initiating the download, unlike with torrents(although some p2p client do have a option available for that, but makes the download most of the time slower).

Why did you create this application?

Well, I am one of those lazy human beings, and I don't like clicking and copying things 10 times before I can actually watch something(unless I really have to). My application simplifys things, you just open the application, log in using your MAL account(talk about that later) and click on the cover of the anime you want to watch, then select a bot, then a list with episodes appears, when you click on one of them, it automaticly should start playing with your choosen mediaplayer!

What does your application feature and what is needed to get it working?

You need a myanimelist account, because I retrieve the covers from mal using the api, and my application uses your username to login on the irc channel where stuff happens(download is initiated there, automatically ofc).

You also need Internet Explorer 9 (I'm not kidding), the application uses some kind of browser emulator which shows the gui, unfortunately c#(the language I used to program this) only allows internet explorer for its engine. This may change in the future though.

There is no installation needed, only thing is that when you do not download the full package(see links below) you need to retrieve the current airing anime, which can take a while.

It features:

- easy navigation using anime covers(main/home/front page contains recent airing anime).
- instant play of a episode from any available sub group
- you can choose your own mediaplayer

Eden's flaws:
I use the title of the anime from MAL to lookup the bots and xdcc commands, but unfortunately not every sub group uses the same title for a anime(fairy tail 2014 (mal) - fairy tail s2 (horriblesubs)), which means it thinks there are no episodes for the anime. In one of the earlier versions there was a synonym system which was removed due the new gui, it will ofcourse be implemented in the near future!

Downloads:

Downloads are devided by Full and Lite, this does not have anything to do with the price, which does not exists(its free for ever :)), with the words Full and Lite I mean that the Full versions contains the now outdated but still recent airing anime and covers, the Lite only contains the program. Which means that when you download the lite version, you need to retrieve the currently airing anime first, which takes a while(needs to look up the anime, find the covers and information for it etc). I will try to update the currently airing anime for the full version as much as possible, but Its not a guarantee that what you see is actually airing, unless you press retrieving anime yourself.

Eden v0.3.2 Light (900 kb - Mediafire)
Eden v0.3.2 Full (7 Mb - Mediafire)

Ofcourse this is also open source, if you have ideas and you can use my code for it, go ahead! Or if you want to help me out pointing out my stupid mistakes then, please do!
My sincere apologies for the messy code, In fact, I am still learning c# and I am a total newby at it.
The files from mediafire are also available on the git.

Source(github)

A youtube video is comming, explaining a bit about how it works and such...
https://github.com/RareAMV/AnimeXDCCWatcher
--------------------
AnimeXDCCWatcher is a application which almost does the same thing as Popcorn Time but instead of using the torrent(p2p) protocol it uses irc(xdcc) protocol, which is faster, and you do not upload anything while watching. Furthermore it supports custom players like VLC or MPC-HC or whatever you use. Its in alpha and contains a lot of bugs and may crash often!

More topics from this board

» Share Your YouTube Channel/Videos! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nin-tendo - Dec 16, 2022

358 by nin-tendo »»
2 hours ago

» Anime hoodies - Would you wear it ?

abambata - Apr 17

1 by DesuMaiden »»
8 hours ago

» What software(s) and hardware(s) do you use for digital drawings?

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

11 by DesuMaiden »»
8 hours ago

» Have you tried using lmms?

Cammell - 10 hours ago

0 by Cammell »»
10 hours ago

» Help me modify this layout

Luffie00 - Yesterday

0 by Luffie00 »»
Yesterday, 7:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.