Forum Settings
Forums
Feb 21, 2015 7:59 AM

silversaint said:
Yumes-lil-Faggot said:

and Dark Souls that has now become a genre of its own

there arent many games like that though, theres only Lords of the Fallen which isnt particularly good

Bloodborne... and if that turns out to be a success then its having its own genre.
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]

Feb 21, 2015 8:35 AM

Yumes-lil-Faggot said:
silversaint said:

there arent many games like that though, theres only Lords of the Fallen which isnt particularly good

Bloodborne... and if that turns out to be a success then its having its own genre.

Have you not played any of the Demon/Dark Souls games? You know it's just a spin-off from that series by the creator of the first two.

I think the chances of that game not being an amazing success are very slim. It already has a flawless pedigree and a strong fanbase State side.

I'm gonna be playing the shit out of Bloodborne come March.

Thank you for the article Oppai. Funny how Forbes seems to have a much better grasp of the Video Game industry than news outlets that write exclusively about games.

The author is on point.

Feb 21, 2015 8:35 AM

Yumes-lil-Faggot said:

Everyone always forgets that Demon's Souls started that genre...DON'T LEAVE OUT ONE OF MY FAVORITE GAMES!

Feb 21, 2015 10:26 AM

Hkig said:
Yumes-lil-Faggot said:

Everyone always forgets that Demon's Souls started that genre...DON'T LEAVE OUT ONE OF MY FAVORITE GAMES!

While Demon's Souls started the genre, Dark Souls was the better game in many ways. That's why people say DS was the starter of it all.

Feb 21, 2015 10:57 AM

Hkig said:
Yumes-lil-Faggot said:

Demon Souls was a console exclusive. We don't consider peasant material to be 'revolutionary'.
~Oscar
[/i]

Feb 21, 2015 4:57 PM

It's okay, my interest is being served somewhere else.

Feb 21, 2015 5:51 PM

Hkig said:
Yumes-lil-Faggot said:

Exactly.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now

Feb 21, 2015 5:52 PM

The Order 1886 was another fail lol just as expected.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now

Feb 21, 2015 6:39 PM

Yumes-lil-Faggot said:
Hkig said:

Demon Souls was a console exclusive. We don't consider peasant material to be 'revolutionary'.

How did Dark Souls become a Genre of its own?

It's a JRPG, its quite actually similar to Monster Hunter.

Anyway the last unqiue kind of new game that I have played was Gravity Rush from the VITA.

Feb 21, 2015 7:44 PM

AzureDaora said:
Yumes-lil-Faggot said:

Anyway the last unqiue kind of new game that I have played was Gravity Rush from the VITA.

It's an action RPG if we want to split hairs. But yeah, it's not a new genre lol. It's just a very good game that is reasonably difficult. Something refreshing for a lot of gamers that are bored by what has become the AAA standard. Hit 'x' to win.

Feb 21, 2015 9:03 PM

It's because established series caters towards their existing player base and not to the general gaming populace. This has 2 problems.

Problem 1 is that the existing player base is stupid and asks for stupid things.
Problem 2 is that developers get complacent. They don't NEED to make every little thing fantastic, just make good what the player base liked about the last game.

In the end, say you had a game that had a straight A report card. Well based on a merit reward system and feedback, it's going to focus only on a few subjects, and some grades will go up to A+ while others will follow to a C. This alienates the less vocal gamers and new gamers to the series.

Example: FF12 happened. "Wow the game has no story and bland characters what are you doing SE"
-> FF13. "Cool the story and characters are great but did you have to sacrifice the adventure?"

Feb 21, 2015 9:06 PM
otaking
Thrashinuva said:
It's because established series caters towards their existing player base and not to the general gaming populace. This has 2 problems.

Problem 1 is that the existing player base is stupid and asks for stupid things.
Problem 2 is that developers get complacent. They don't NEED to make every little thing fantastic, just make good what the player base liked about the last game.

In the end, say you had a game that had a straight A report card. Well based on a merit reward system and feedback, it's going to focus only on a few subjects, and some grades will go up to A+ while others will follow to a C. This alienates the less vocal gamers and new gamers to the series.

Example: FF12 happened. "Wow the game has no story and bland characters what are you doing SE"
-> FF13. "Cool the story and characters are great but did you have to sacrifice the adventure?"

lol @ FF13 haivnga good story that sorty was so bad that had resled a novel ot flill in gaps
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong

Feb 21, 2015 9:27 PM

I actually feel that the best games that are being released right now are not coming from the AAA game developers or the indie developers but instead are coming from the mid level developers. I find myself being far more exited for games like Hearts of Iron 4 and Victoria 3 from Paradox interactive or games like The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us from tell tale than I am from anything the AAA or indie guys are putting out. This is of course with exception to Fallout 4 which Bethesda better fucking announce in their E3 press conference this year or they will piss off 95% of their entire fan base.
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Feb 21, 2015 11:33 PM

FGAU1912 said:
lol @ FF13 haivnga good story

What was objectively bad about the story, may I ask?

Or are you just trying to instigate an argument by using a subjective opinion?

Feb 21, 2015 11:46 PM
otaking
Thrashinuva said:
FGAU1912 said:

it neeeded supplemental stuff to for the first to games to proper to be linked

hence the novel i mentoned
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Feb 21, 2015 11:49 PM

Thrashinuva said:

Did you actually play FF12? It had one of the best FF narratives since FF 6. Sure the lead character was a creepy looking lady boy, but the rest of the cast and the story was pretty damn solid. It's easily one of my favorite FF games, and the best PS2 FF in my opinion.

It's not for everyone, but to say it didn't have a story and then to say FF13 did made me lol a bit. The story was a cliche ridden mess, extremely convoluted and with an incredibly dull cast of character with the exception of Sazsh and Fang.

Honestly I think I had more fun playing FF:X2 than I did with 13 and that is saying a lot. It felt more like an action RPG on rails than a FF game. The first 10 hours or so of the game felt like one long ass tutorial. If it wasn't for chapter 11, I would have dropped FF13 without beating it. It is, in my opinion, the worst one in the series. Don't know about the sequels, since I was so turned off by 13 I never bored. Not to mention Lost Odyssey was out at the same time, and it was an actual RPG with a hell of a good story/characters.
Modified by FullmetalRaikou, Feb 21, 2015 11:52 PM

Feb 21, 2015 11:51 PM
otaking
Fullmetal89 said:
Thrashinuva said:

Did you actually play FF12? It had one of the best FF narratives since FF 6. Sure the lead character was a creepy looking lady boy, but the rest of the cast and the story was pretty damn solid. It's easily one of my favorite FF games, and the best PS2 FF in my opinion.

It's not for everyone, but to say it didn't have a story and then to say FF13 did made me lol a bit. The story was an cliche ridden mess, extremely convoluted and with an incredibly dull cast of character with the exception of Sazsh and Fang.

Honestly I think I had more fun playing FF:X2 than I did with 13 and that is saying a lot. It felt more like an action RPG on rails than a FF game. The first 10 hours or so of the game felt like one long ass tutorial. If it wasn't for chapter 11, I would have dropped FF13 without beating it. It is, in my opinion, the worst one in the series. Don't know about the sequels, since I was so turned off by 13 I never bored. Not to mention Lost Odyssey was out at the same time, and it was an actual RPG with a hell of a good story/characters.

X 2 was funner than 12 to me c uase the enhancement system was better i love job systems and puls any one of any good sesne who says FF XII has a good enhance ment system is joust wrong

Feb 21, 2015 11:54 PM

FGAU1912 said:

X 2 was funner than 12 to me c uase the enhancement system was better i love job systems and puls any one of any good sesne who says FF XII has a good enhance ment system is joust wrong

I don't know I enjoyed the overall combat system in 12. I admit that my favorite is still the FF:X format, the gambit system wasn't too bad. Only thing that I really didn't like about 12 was the summoning system, and how to trigger the special abilities.

Feb 22, 2015 12:11 AM
otaking
Fullmetal89 said:
FGAU1912 said:

I don't know I enjoyed the overall combat system in 12. I admit that my favorite is still the FF:X format, the gambit system wasn't too bad. Only thing that I really didn't like about 12 was the summoning system, and how to trigger the special abilities.

Licnese bord sucked dick

Feb 22, 2015 12:22 AM

Many AAA games are shit because that's how the audience likes it. CoD, Assassin's Creed (3,Unity), for example.
People need to raise their goddamn standards, and maybe the developers will realize they have to actually make a game, not a pile of sh*t.

But there are many great AAA games out there, it's just that they are often less popular, although not in all cases, take The Last of Us for example. Now that was a good and extremely successful game.

Feb 22, 2015 12:47 AM

Nvortex said:
AAA game developers have broken the content-value equilibrium down into a working formula. Like almost every gaming related issue, the consumer is to blame.

Feb 22, 2015 1:22 PM

Halo's multilayer. Assassins Creed's glitches.

I would say Sonic games, but I don't think they count as AAA anymore. XD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Feb 22, 2015 4:13 PM

mattbenz99 said:
I actually feel that the best games that are being released right now are not coming from the AAA game developers or the indie developers but instead are coming from the mid level developers. I find myself being far more exited for games like Hearts of Iron 4 and Victoria 3 from Paradox interactive or games like The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us from tell tale than I am from anything the AAA or indie guys are putting out. This is of course with exception to Fallout 4 which Bethesda better fucking announce in their E3 press conference this year or they will piss off 95% of their entire fan base.

I eagerly await the opportunity to continue my massive plans for expansion of my borders.
To the clueless people: my avatar is the bus driver from Rosario + Vampire

Join if hate Clannad: http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=12806&time=1389088639
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=41313

Feb 22, 2015 5:56 PM

time to release the gaben!

enter... half life 3
Romance Anime List

Romance Anime List

3DS friend code 3325-2089-7587 (pm yours)

Feb 22, 2015 6:33 PM

+1 for Paradox. I just wish they'd release Vicky 3 before HoI so I could transfer my CKII save into EU4, and then into Vicky 3, and finally fight WW2 in HoI between the Scandinavian Empire, West Francia and the Golden Horde.

But yea, AAA has been looking pretty shit for a good while now. As far as I'm concerned, the decline started already with Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3, and has only escalated since then.
kickthebucket said:
time to release the gaben!

enter... half life 3
But Gaben can't count to three!

HL3 is pretty much mythical Endtimes prophecy tier shit at this point.
I bet in 20XX when the nuclear apocalypse has turned the earth into a blasted wasteland, we'll have the Cult of Half Life 3 spreading the Gospel of Steam about the promised saviour Gaben Freeman that will deliver us from ruin and shorten the radioactive decay period.

Eigi man ek þá lǫg jómsvikinga ef ek kviði við bana eða mæla ek æðruorð. Eitt sinn skal hverr deyja

Feb 23, 2015 1:58 AM

Crzy_Minus said:
After the disappointment that was 2014 in terms of AAA level of video games, 2015 is already starting going on the same route with Dying Light, Evolve and The Order 1886 as failures of their own.

What's been happening to AAA games lately?

How is dying light disappointing? It got good overall scores throughout. I cant speak for the other games but i have spent over 20 hours on dying light and have no regrets at all. Same goes for all my friends and others i've spoken to about the game.

Feb 23, 2015 2:05 AM

AzureDaora said:
Yumes-lil-Faggot said:

It isn't but is going to become just like CoD became one after MW back in 2007.
~Oscar
[/i]

Feb 23, 2015 2:23 AM

I think you're confusing the word Genre with Franchise lol.

Feb 23, 2015 2:33 AM
I've not been interest in any of the mentioned above. Only AAA game I am looking forward to is Uncharted 4.

Feb 23, 2015 2:41 AM

Eh

Bloodborne, Persona 5, Metal Gear Solid 5 and Hotline Miami 2 will save 2015.

Feb 23, 2015 3:11 AM

Thrashinuva said:
FGAU1912 said:

I kinda do agree with FGAU that the story sucked. It had potential with the whole two worlds thing but the story limited it to corridors and small pieces of land. Some of the most brilliant looking areas were only shown in cutscenes, which imo, should not be how a game of that caliber works. In Final Fantasy 9, they show you a neat little location and then you later get to explore it! How neat is that! But in FF13, they show you these cool fucking places and then suddenly it's back to corridors. Plus, throwing a book at a player is not how you should handle story in a game. I swear I spent more time reading the encyclopedia than playing the game at times.

Feb 23, 2015 3:36 AM

2014 was really weak. From the most popular few were good or fun: Divinity(Best), DAI, Bayonetta 2(WiiUonly), Child of Light, The Wolf Among Us, Shadow of Mordor.
2015 is coming with MGS 5 and The Witcher 3, 2 games that overshadow everything else.

Feb 23, 2015 4:36 AM

NotJizzyHitler said:
Dying light was fun as hell whatchu talking about

This. It's actually the first AAA game in literal years I had any sort of fun with.

OP is probably one of the "optimization" seagulls who regurgitate false opinions without knowledge of the actual assets being used in the game. Dying Light uses 4GB of VRAM with everything maxed, this is by design and has nothing to do with optimization, but a lot of PC gamers embarrassed themselves calling it a bad port when it's pretty stonking good. (Minus the early, now fixed, CPU threading bug)

Just abandon AAA. Indie is the new AAA. AAA is the new Bollywood.

Feb 23, 2015 4:50 AM

Red_Tuesday said:
NotJizzyHitler said:

This. It's actually the first AAA game in literal years I had any sort of fun with.

OP is probably one of the "optimization" seagulls who regurgitate false opinions without knowledge of the actual assets being used in the game. Dying Light uses 4GB of VRAM with everything maxed, this is by design and has nothing to do with optimization, but a lot of PC gamers embarrassed themselves calling it a bad port when it's pretty stonking good. (Minus the early, now fixed, CPU threading bug)

Dying light had fun gameplay mechanics like the combat,parkour,etc but outside of that it didn't had much to offer.
People were expecting it to be the next genre defying zombie game(that's what I heard) but were disappointed.

In my opinion the game was fun.But not that fun I had with games like The Walking Dead,State of Decay,The Last of Us,etc which I find strange because Dying Light is open world so there must be tons of replayability right?Unfortunately that wasn't the case for me.
But that's my opinion.And it can be wrong.

Feb 23, 2015 9:38 AM

Red_Tuesday said:
NotJizzyHitler said:

I want to give this game a try, but I have a feeling I wont like it. I mean it's made by the same developers as Dead Island and I found that to be incredibly boring.

Is there more to this game than mindlessly meandering through a zombie sandbox world?

huntx said:
2014 was really weak. From the most popular few were good or fun: Divinity(Best), DAI, Bayonetta 2(WiiUonly), Child of Light, The Wolf Among Us, Shadow of Mordor.
2015 is coming with MGS 5 and The Witcher 3, 2 games that overshadow everything else.

Wolf Among Us was awesome, I'm hoping they do a season 2 soon. It's easily the best TellTale game I've played to date.

Feb 23, 2015 9:54 AM

Fullmetal89 said:
Red_Tuesday said:

I want to give this game a try, but I have a feeling I wont like it. I mean it's made by the same developers as Dead Island and I found that to be incredibly boring.

Is there more to this game than mindlessly meandering through a zombie sandbox world?

huntx said:

Wolf Among Us was awesome, I'm hoping they do a season 2 soon. It's easily the best TellTale game I've played to date.

But last time I heard the Wolf Among Us was meant to be a one season "promo" for the comics that took place after the game(?)

Feb 23, 2015 10:24 AM

Sakuyae said:

But last time I heard the Wolf Among Us was meant to be a one season "promo" for the comics that took place after the game(?)

Oh I didn't know that :(, haven't read the comics and it was really open ended so I thought they were going to do a part 2.

Feb 23, 2015 11:10 AM

AzureDaora said:
I think you're confusing the word Genre with Franchise lol.

I'm not. Maybe 'genre' isn't the right word. Perhaps 'genre defining' would do the trick.
~Oscar
[/i]

Feb 23, 2015 11:46 AM

Fullmetal89 said:

It offers good parkour and fun gameplay.But other than that it's not much.
It has very dead island feel to it so you could find it boring too.Don't expect the story to be great.It's not.Barely mediocre,side quest are not interesting,not much player freedom is given like you want to go stealth or you want to go loud in campaign missions,etc.

But I think you should give this game a try.Might be your cup of tea after all,who knows.
You be the final judge of your taste.

Feb 23, 2015 1:41 PM

Copyright_Sucks said:
Fullmetal89 said:

It offers good parkour and fun gameplay.But other than that it's not much.
It has very dead island feel to it so you could find it boring too.Don't expect the story to be great.It's not.Barely mediocre,side quest are not interesting,not much player freedom is given like you want to go stealth or you want to go loud in campaign missions,etc.

But I think you should give this game a try.Might be your cup of tea after all,who knows.
You be the final judge of your taste.

Hmm, I'll wait till the price drops. Bloodborne is just around the corner and I still got Metal Gear Rising and Persona Q to beat. I saw a few videos and it looks decent, like Mirrors Edge with zombies.

Feb 23, 2015 7:11 PM

Fullmetal89 said:
Red_Tuesday said:

I hated Dead Island as well. In fact I hate most zombie games. What Dying Light really nailed though, was the tight fun movement and graphic zombie slaying, I didn't get bored of it even after 60 hours.

But Mirror's Edge is one of my favourite games and I was one of the few who actually kinda liked Titanfall (though it wasn't anywhere near worth $60) so it's more the parkour that appeals to me. I'm the fast thinking kind of gamer who enjoys when a game lets you just 'flow through it' at high speeds with little room for error. And that lets you use buckets of creativity in ways to kill stuff.

The story is middling, but everything else is great for me. It may be too long also, for some people. And it also gets too easy in the second half, but that can be fixed with mods.

Feb 23, 2015 7:18 PM

It's cool people are at least starting to see how shitty games are in general. Now if you'd only stop buying them and try out some indie shit. At least for a while until the developers call us drunk on a random friday night. "baby i missed you, you were always the one." *click*

Feb 23, 2015 7:35 PM

VitaminCaim said:
Thrashinuva said:

I kinda do agree with FGAU that the story sucked. It had potential with the whole two worlds thing but the story limited it to corridors and small pieces of land. Some of the most brilliant looking areas were only shown in cutscenes, which imo, should not be how a game of that caliber works. In Final Fantasy 9, they show you a neat little location and then you later get to explore it! How neat is that! But in FF13, they show you these cool fucking places and then suddenly it's back to corridors. Plus, throwing a book at a player is not how you should handle story in a game. I swear I spent more time reading the encyclopedia than playing the game at times.

This kind of talk is what confuses developers so much.

FF9 didn't have voice acting. They didn't have to hire people to act out lines in both English and Japanese. The only voice in the entire game is "la la la la" and the song at the end of the game.

The amount of text in FF13's "encyclopedia" pales in comparison to the amount of text in any FF game before FFX. You might say that what you're actually asking for is for all that text to be in meaningful dialogue between characters, but to try and take the same amount of previous games and incorporate it into newer games would cost much more, and not only that but the time you'd spend listening (versus reading), would make things much more boring.

You may be wishing for a more involved game, and that's totally fair. FF13 is a more streamlined experience, for better or worse, but it's important to understand where it faults and where it doesn't, why and how, to truly evaluate the game, just as with any other game. (I'm not saying FF13 is the most perfect game ever, it very well had it's problems, but I'm not about to pretend it wasn't next gen when it came out).

As for FF12, it had plot. By saying "It had no story" I don't literally mean it had no story, it was hyperbole. I genuinely felt that the plot was actually a very short story in the span of a 50 hour game. I felt the characters were bland in general, in spite of a very few who shined for brief moments here and there. This is my subjective opinion, and should not be taken as an objective statement.

Feb 23, 2015 7:52 PM
otaking
Thrashinuva said:
VitaminCaim said:

This kind of talk is what confuses developers so much.

FF9 didn't have voice acting. They didn't have to hire people to act out lines in both English and Japanese. The only voice in the entire game is "la la la la" and the song at the end of the game.

The amount of text in FF13's "encyclopedia" pales in comparison to the amount of text in any FF game before FFX. You might say that what you're actually asking for is for all that text to be in meaningful dialogue between characters, but to try and take the same amount of previous games and incorporate it into newer games would cost much more, and not only that but the time you'd spend listening (versus reading), would make things much more boring.

You may be wishing for a more involved game, and that's totally fair. FF13 is a more streamlined experience, for better or worse, but it's important to understand where it faults and where it doesn't, why and how, to truly evaluate the game, just as with any other game. (I'm not saying FF13 is the most perfect game ever, it very well had it's problems, but I'm not about to pretend it wasn't next gen when it came out).

As for FF12, it had plot. By saying "It had no story" I don't literally mean it had no story, it was hyperbole. I genuinely felt that the plot was actually a very short story in the span of a 50 hour game. I felt the characters were bland in general, in spite of a very few who shined for brief moments here and there. This is my subjective opinion, and should not be taken as an objective statement.

the novel told of more conherant story the the just und 150 hours of game play ig three games most other FFs and yes i read all the ulimicas [ encyclopedias] of eatch ff game] and as story fablia nova critalts is worse that even 16 bit games for example dragon quest 4 ha better story tha the whole ff set

Feb 23, 2015 8:06 PM

Hopefully Fallout 4 will be announced in the near future. If that game is everything I think it will be, that's all I'll need

Feb 23, 2015 10:07 PM

I'm waiting on Naughty dog is games! They make the best triple A titles!

Feb 23, 2015 10:22 PM

Thrashinuva said:

The problem with it is that it's just cheap and boring infodumping, that's what makes it bad. The majority of the game is literally corridors with fanciful wallpapers where the only thing you do is run through and kill enemies.

In past FF games you could go back and forth between various interesting areas, while getting story and setting exposition through interacting with stuff, talking to characters or simply just exploring the areas. XII had a similar encyclopaedia, but in it's case, it provided additional info and lore, not replacing the usual interactions. In XIII on the other hand, the encyclopaedia is the sole source of lore and information on the setting, apart form some few terms and topics that are covered in the story. It all feels like you're shoved through pretty corridors at a swift pace, and then get thrown a encyclopaedia as an afterthought, just in case you actually give a shit about immersion and lore.

I can understand that they wanted to make a fast paced linear game, but it sure makes for a abysmal starting point for what could have been a interesting setting.
D1C3M4N said:
Hopefully Fallout 4 will be announced in the near future. If that game is everything I think it will be, that's all I'll need
Yea it's about time. I hope it's more in line with 1-2 and NV rather than 3 though. And a setting other than the US would be cool too. Middle-south America or Australia for example. You hardly ever see many post apocalyptic games set there.

Eigi man ek þá lǫg jómsvikinga ef ek kviði við bana eða mæla ek æðruorð. Eitt sinn skal hverr deyja

Feb 23, 2015 10:36 PM

D1C3M4N said:
Damn straight, we need another Bethesda game. It's been what? 4 years since Skyrim? 5 years since Fallout New Vegas? Feel like 2016-2017 is going to be their year

Feb 23, 2015 10:45 PM

VitaminCaim said:
D1C3M4N said:
Damn straight, we need another Bethesda game. It's been what? 4 years since Skyrim? 5 years since Fallout New Vegas? Feel like 2016-2017 is going to be their year
Also pray that the game release with less bugs on day one unlike previous bethesda games.

Feb 23, 2015 10:50 PM

The new Dead or Alive is apparently a glitch fest...

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »