Forum Settings
Forums
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Post New Reply
Feb 19, 2015 1:10 PM

After the disappointment that was 2014 in terms of AAA level of video games, 2015 is already starting going on the same route with Dying Light, Evolve and The Order 1886 as failures of their own.

What's been happening to AAA games lately?

Feb 19, 2015 1:12 PM

Dying light was fun as hell whatchu talking about

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Feb 19, 2015 1:13 PM

I'm not as informed on such titles, but if they're anything like Destiny, we're doomed.

Feb 19, 2015 1:17 PM

AAA game developers have broken the content-value equilibrium down into a working formula. Like almost every gaming related issue, the consumer is to blame.

Feb 19, 2015 1:19 PM
Dying Light sure isn't worth 50 bucks, but it isn't a bad game by any means. Things like rehashed franchises like Call of Duty, The Sims, FIFA etc. are what ruins the industry.

If you want good games, you look at the independent side, or Nintendo. Bayonetta 2 was fucking awesome.

Feb 19, 2015 1:20 PM

Dying Light wasn't a bad game or anything. Evolve just had too many micro transactions, the game itself wasn't terrible. From what I heard the order is going to be a big disappointment and a flop, so AAA games can go either way. This year may be better than the last or it could be worse, only time will tell.

Feb 19, 2015 1:23 PM

NotJizzyHitler said:

Dying Light - Another generic zombie game with the fortune of being better than Dead Island
Evolve - A 4 on 1 multiplayer game that falls repetitive, includes less content and throws $100+ worth of DLC pieces
The Order: 1886 - A $70 5 to 6 hour long movie with QTEs and below average story included.

Feb 19, 2015 1:25 PM
Crzy_Minus said:

Dying Light - Another generic zombie game with the fortune of being better than Dead Island

How does that in any way make it bad? FPS games in general are pretty generic, so the only thing I could think of criticizing is the lack of innovation. But that still doesn't make it bad.
Resident Evil 6 was bad, Dying Light wasn't.

Feb 19, 2015 1:27 PM

GreenSoap said:
Crzy_Minus said:

How does that in any way make it bad? FPS games in general are pretty generic, but does that make most of them bad?

On the gameplay I can see why some people like it, on the rest from what I saw: nah.

Feb 19, 2015 1:30 PM

Crzy_Minus said:
NotJizzyHitler said:

Yeah im going to assume you are literally basing this game off of the reviews....which were actually fairly positive.

Dying light is an over the top game that allows the player to just enjoy a overglorified parkour system and insane wepaonry as well as fun as hell physics with kicking shit off buildings or into things, its a fun sandbox who gives a fuck that its another zombie game.

if anything we need more games like dying light that actually understand games are an escape from reality and should just go full crazy with its gameplay like dying light does

Crzy_Minus said:
GreenSoap said:

How does that in any way make it bad? FPS games in general are pretty generic, but does that make most of them bad?

On the gameplay I can see why some people like it, on the rest from what I saw: nah.
so you admit you never actually played the game yet you judge it like you have?

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Feb 19, 2015 1:34 PM

AAA is dying and indie devs are taking over, and you can find good niche games as well. heck, we may get a new Gex soon from Indie devs thanks to SE and we are getting a new Wonderboy from Indie devs as well.

Feb 19, 2015 1:35 PM

@NotJizzyHitler: I can see where you're going, as a game if it delivers on the fun factor, then yeah it wouldn't be any bad for anyone who enjoys it. Though from the game videos that I've seen (not reviews), it just doesn't look like my cup of tea.
Modified by Crzy_Minus, Feb 19, 2015 1:40 PM

Feb 19, 2015 2:11 PM

Hoppy said:
AAA is dying and indie devs are taking over,.

not sure if troll or serious AAA games are far from dying the best selling games are still those once a year pice of shit games like cod and bf. while awsome games like bioshock infinity and the like diddent even sell close to the number of copys they sell. i do agree that indie games have stepped up but there are still loads of shitty indie games being released there never gets finished after they make thire money grab

Feb 19, 2015 2:13 PM

Dark_Chaos said:
I'm not as informed on such titles, but if they're anything like Destiny, we're doomed.

Feb 19, 2015 2:17 PM

weedmand said:
Hoppy said:
AAA is dying and indie devs are taking over,.

not sure if troll or serious AAA games are far from dying the best selling games are still those once a year pice of shit games like cod and bf. while awsome games like bioshock infinity and the like diddent even sell close to the number of copys they sell. i do agree that indie games have stepped up but there are still loads of shitty indie games being released there never gets finished after they make thire money grab

They sell due to hype and from those who don't frequent gaming sites often.

Feb 19, 2015 3:13 PM

Only in the West are AAA games screwing up so much.
Japanese AAA games are doing fine. Don't generalize AAA games overall.

And even then, AAA games in the West are probably screwing up because making video games has become so expensive. No company wants to take risks or do something that isn't guarunteed to be popular. Another problem is that marketing has become the highest priority for devs since you can sell anything in large quantities if you hype it up enough. Devs are realizing they don't have to put all the effort into the game to make money, so why should they? Marketing and day one DLC are everything.

Feb 19, 2015 3:50 PM

Dying Light is anything but a failure. It's the best AAA released this year so far.

Evolve is a disappointment, Order 1886 is the failure of the year.

Feb 20, 2015 3:28 AM

If The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and Batman: Arkham Knight are to come out really bad, then yes, it might be the end of AAA gaming for real.

Feb 20, 2015 4:17 AM

Disappointingly, I agree with Battlechili, only the west is experiencing a sort of fuck up in AAA games. Nintendo going strong

Feb 20, 2015 4:54 AM

VitaminCaim said:
Disappointingly, I agree with Battlechili, only the west is experiencing a sort of fuck up in AAA games. Nintendo going strong

Indeed.

AAA games are just money whores now in the western industry most of the time.

Feb 20, 2015 5:53 AM

I never understand the hype about the "AAA" games, especially titles like GTA.

Feb 20, 2015 6:05 AM

Corporate greed.
I never get hyped for these AAA titles by untrusted developers/publishers.

What most AAA games need are these things to be good
>A good linear/non-linear story(no cliches).
>Solid gameplay mechanics if not original.
>Better optimized for gaming consoles and PC with less bugs.
>Less frustrating in-game mechanics on loading,main menu,game settings,etc.
>Tons of replayability.
>Good soundtrack.
>No meaningless/lazy shits like invisible walls,tons of QTEs,micro-transaction,etc.
>Overall good presentation and executing what it wanted to originally in its genre and all.

It's best to play indies or get games from trusted developers just to be on the safe side.OR just play tons and tons of JRPGs and VNs.I'm currently playing jrpgs releasing on PC.

Feb 20, 2015 6:17 AM

Luckely people have slowly started to turn over to the indie-zone when they want innovation in story and gameplay-design. AAA-industry provides innovation in technology and hardware, not story and gameplay. At least......not as much as they used to IMO. This is why i chose to become a private video game designer, both professionaly and as a hobby. I had to make sure to get full creative control over my products, to make sure they became as original as possible. Taking full advantage of being indie.
Modified by Drakensson, Feb 20, 2015 6:23 AM

Feb 20, 2015 6:23 AM

Mizorefan said:
I never understand the hype about the "AAA" games, especially titles like GTA.
Marketing.
The general mass gets easily moved by all this propaganda.False promises and all gets them in the hype train until the train wrecks on release day(Kind of like how most government held elections).
Most recent notable examples would be Watch_Dogs and Destiny.

Big companies like 'Rockstar Games' spend most of their money on marketing the shit out of their games.Like this many people come to know about the games getting more hyped for it thus making their marketing more successful.
Most even get extreme or ignorant believing that their favorite game is the game of the century and refuse to agree any legit criticism.That's why we see games getting 10/10 even though the game has faults(notable faults if not obvious).
GTA is no different.

Feb 20, 2015 6:57 AM

2014 was dissapointing? i dunno what games you ve been playing but Mario Kart, Smash, Captain Toad, Bravely Default an particularly Bayonetta 2 were awesome, what are those bad AAA games you are talking about?

Feb 20, 2015 7:45 AM

silversaint said:
2014 was dissapointing? i dunno what games you ve been playing but Mario Kart, Smash, Captain Toad, Bravely Default an particularly Bayonetta 2 were awesome, what are those bad AAA games you are talking about?
Anything that wasn't from Nintendo or on a Nintendo system. I also don't own a Nintendo system right now (I'd love to)

Feb 20, 2015 7:53 AM

Battlechili1 said:
Well, you've completely ignored the mobile games fad.

You've also ignored literally every controversy to do with monetization/microtransactions coming from the east in the last decade.

It's the pursuit of the business side which is killing most franchises.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Feb 20, 2015 8:33 AM

Crzy_Minus said:
silversaint said:
Anything that wasn't from Nintendo or on a Nintendo system. I also don't own a Nintendo system right now (I'd love to)

i wouldnt know i only own Nintendo stuff, i went to my friends house to play that Xbox an PS4 next gen whatever, most of those games dont last a rental

Feb 20, 2015 8:35 AM
otaking
Deserada said:
Battlechili1 said:
Well, you've completely ignored the mobile games fad.

You've also ignored literally every controversy to do with monetization/microtransactions coming from the east in the last decade.

It's the pursuit of the business side which is killing most franchises.

LoV proves you wrong
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong

Feb 20, 2015 9:11 AM

I think this year may just turn things around BUT with the bullshit we been going through for the past few years and especially during "Next-Gen". Well I wont be surprised if this year is a fail as well.

Im sure quite a few sick titles will do well though. namely Bloodborne for example.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now

Feb 20, 2015 10:52 AM

Dying light looks boring.

Feb 20, 2015 10:55 AM

Fuck review sites.

Feb 20, 2015 11:31 AM

Khaosman said:
If The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and Batman: Arkham Knight are to come out really bad, then yes, it might be the end of AAA gaming for real.
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]

Feb 20, 2015 11:33 AM

It's more like people accept broken games on release and wait for them to fix.
Games used to be "completed" before they even got sold years back.

Feb 20, 2015 1:17 PM

Most AAA games have been shit for a while now. There are some exceptions, the industry has just become another Hollywood.

Only games that are on my radar right now: Xenoblade Chronicles X, Witcher 3, MGS 5, Persona 5, Bloodborne, FF Type-0 and FF:XV.

Feb 20, 2015 3:11 PM

will division be a AAA game? cuz i have high hopes for tht one
Kenjataimu mode status: 恒久

Feb 20, 2015 7:17 PM

OnlyTemporary said:
will division be a AAA game? cuz i have high hopes for tht one

Wasn't that game pushed back several times? That is usually a pretty bad sign.

Feb 20, 2015 8:44 PM

Loved destiny until level 30, was worth the buy. Evolve is 7/10, but no downsides, just not a bunch of upsides. I enjoyed the battlefield beta, had some great moments. AW is actually trying to revamp Cod and is putting more effort than they're predecessors (ahem, Ghost). Haven't played the sports games or MMO's but I hear mixed reviews for those (except shadow of mordor apparently it is excellent. All in all I would say they're okay, but that's my opinion and it is mainly based off of comparisons.

Feb 20, 2015 9:07 PM

Crzy_Minus said:

Evolve - A 4 on 1 multiplayer game that falls repetitive, includes less content and throws $100+ worth of DLC pieces
The Order: 1886 - A $70 5 to 6 hour long movie with QTEs and below average story included.

A generic zombie game that has incredibly solid and fun gameplay with a large and detailed world to explore using solid parkour mechanics. Not every game is gonna reinvent the wheel, it's just gonna expand on already presented concepts.

$100+ of purely unnecessary cosmetic items. I mean the price model they have is abysmal ya, having season passes not covering all the DLC. But at the same time all that other DLC is just useless shit that you'll never need and won't influence your gaming experience at all.

The Order...pretty much agree. Unfortunately that game was wasted potential.

But all in all you can't just say AAA is going wrong with 2 very solid and successful games, one disappointment, and were not even 3 months into the year. Wait till the end of the year (you know, once more games actually come out) to make your decision on that.

Feb 20, 2015 10:49 PM
I think the problem is with the '$AAArms race' which Ninja Theory has pointed out. Justifying that you need $5m worth of revenue to break even by selling games for like $70 + DLCs.

Publishers are acting like Hollywood now and the developers are being tied down by huge budget that publishers offer but that cause creativity to go down the drain with telling developers 'this couldn't sell' 'no that wouldn't work'.

For developers I think they need to think of a way to develop games with a small team of staff.
For consumers we have to stop preordering games and falling into the marketing trap.

I can only hope Ninja Theory's Hellblade would prove the AAA studios & publishers wrong if its successful.

Feb 21, 2015 1:47 AM

I am going to agree with you, AAA games keep getting worse but that's going to change soon. A lot of people are already complaining about it and the number will increase for sure if they keep it like this.
I read somewhere today that the price for The Order 1886 is already being downed to 50%.
But, there are also some great games out there, not many but still. Dying Light for example was well worth my money, I loved it. It's exactly what Dead Island aspired to be when it was first announced.
Alien : Isolation last year was pretty great as well. Almost perfect actually.

Feb 21, 2015 2:27 AM

What we need is another genre defying game.

Like Shadow of the Colossus.

Feb 21, 2015 3:18 AM

VitaminCaim said:

Man,that game was revolutionary.One of the best boss battle mechanics I've ever experienced in games.

Feb 21, 2015 6:40 AM

Copyright_Sucks said:
VitaminCaim said:

Man,that game was revolutionary.One of the best boss battle mechanics I've ever experienced in games.

Monster Hunter is kinda similar, just keep fighting bigger monsters, you can also climb on them
btw the last genre defying games i can think of are Bayonetta 2 (hack an slash) an Mario Galaxy 2 (platformer)

Feb 21, 2015 6:42 AM
otaking
silversaint said:
Copyright_Sucks said:

Monster Hunter is kinda similar, just keep fighting bigger monsters, you can also climb on them
btw the last genre defying games i can think of are Bayonetta 2 (hack an slash) an Mario Galaxy 2 (platformer)

no
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Feb 21, 2015 6:42 AM

silversaint said:
Copyright_Sucks said:

and Dark Souls that has now become a genre of its own
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]

Feb 21, 2015 6:45 AM
otaking
Yumes-lil-Faggot said:
silversaint said:

]
and its getting more and more softer

Feb 21, 2015 7:54 AM

It is now a good time for Bethesda to announce a return to the Fallout universe and for Valve to at least say something about the future of the Half-Life series. With all these AAA games falling short, it is now perfect timing for the big guns to come back with a bang.

Now, there's more rumors about Bethesda planning to reveal Fallout 4 at this year's E3 and it's not even close to June yet.

Feb 21, 2015 7:58 AM

Yumes-lil-Faggot said:
silversaint said:

there arent many games like that though, theres only Lords of the Fallen which isnt particularly good

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »