Forum Settings
Forums
New
Journey or Destination? What is more important
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 19, 2015 12:04 PM

Nov 2011
Certain stories and genres lend themselves to needing a better destination than others, so it depends. I've never really examined which I tend to prefer, but I suppose I'm usually a journey sort of person.
Feb 19, 2015 12:11 PM

Sep 2012
sullynathan said:

So my point is that they both matter.

Thanks, do you also think the beginning matters?
Feb 19, 2015 12:59 PM

Jan 2014
Both are important, but you spend most of the time on the journey, so that takes precedence.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Feb 19, 2015 1:01 PM

Dec 2012
I'm not surprised that Journey is leading. But yeah, that's the answer that's accurate on the most part.
[right]
"The big secret to breaking the rules is to make it look as though you're following them."
Feb 19, 2015 1:09 PM

Feb 2013
There's no point in having a destination if there's no journey, right? Of course, what's more important is whether the journey is compelling enough to make you appreciate the story, and whether it manages to have you on board until the end.
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Feb 19, 2015 3:18 PM

Jul 2014
Ratohnhaketon said:
HxH 2011 had an entire episode dedicated to this. And I wholeheartedly agree with it, the journey matters far more as it shapes the memories that will be held once you arrive at the destination. There's no point in watching 1100+ episodes of One Piece just to finally see Luffy become the Pirate King if you're not going to savor each adventure that contributes towards what leads him to that moment.

on point
Feb 19, 2015 5:02 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
The journey. I can excuse a bad ending, but not a bad journey.
Feb 19, 2015 5:08 PM

Feb 2010
Ratohnhaketon said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

That makes no sense. The enjoyment you got while watching the first 95% of the anime won't go away. On the other hand if you didn't enjoy the first 95% of the anime you'll likely never even reach the ending.
The only instance in which I could agree with the first quoted statement is Akuma no Riddle.

That makes somewhat sense, though I didn't particularly enjoy the journey with that one either.

tsudecimo said:
Agafin said:
Both of them have varying degrees of importance depending on the genre. I mean, imagine a mystery anime having an underwhelming conclusion to its mysteries. But I'll go with Journey since more often than not, it's the most important.

This. Mystery really heavily depends on the conclusion, at least for me.

One of the reasons I love the mystery genre is that I know that even if the conclusion is shitty I'll still enjoy all the mystery and guessing and everything that leads up to it. Mystery always automatically makes for an enjoyable journey for me, which is why I like the genre so much.
I will probably not remember the anime fondly if the ending sucks (like Another for example) but remembering is not the same as what I experience while I'm actually watching it and the latter is more important to me.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 19, 2015 5:10 PM

Oct 2014
they're both important. The destination gives life and direction to the journey, otherwise i feel like what im watching is interesting but pointless. without an interesting journey, theres no story so why watch lol
Feb 19, 2015 6:46 PM

Mar 2014
Both are equally important.
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Feb 19, 2015 7:13 PM

Dec 2009
They're both important but I feel the journey holds more weight. If the journey isn't good the destination can't always be appreciated because the journey is often what builds up the value. Although a bad ending can make a journey seem wasted, it won't necessarily render the journey pointless and even with a bad destination the journey can still be good.
Feb 19, 2015 7:26 PM

Dec 2012
The destination. It doesn't matter how good the journey was if the place you arrive at for your vacation is a shithole. Same goes for anime except worse because you can't just leave (because there is no more show after the ending).
KruszerFeb 19, 2015 7:41 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Feb 19, 2015 7:59 PM

Jun 2014
Your mum.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - Today

20 by Oofmastre9000 »»
12 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 8 hours ago

20 by AverageRiceFan »»
14 minutes ago

» Attack on skibidi toilet (attack on Titan story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 2 hours ago

3 by AverageRiceFan »»
17 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

196 by ISeeLifePeople »»
31 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

69 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
44 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.