Forum Settings
Forums

A question for music experts? Do these suck?

New
Feb 14, 2015 10:41 PM

Aug 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xTi9oDe6UY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOq2IHoYumI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuZep5RbUQ4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CVBMQ4OW-k

I was told by most people who listened to these the songs are good. But then someone claiming to have several years of experience in music production, and who's a music teacher said they were horrible, lazy, unoriginal, pathetic and that I should never make music again, because I just suck at it, and it's a waste to even try... I mean... if a teacher tells you to quit and your music is a lost cause, then you should listen... but I wanna become better.

I mean, if he's more educated, my word means nothing. And neither does yours unless you've been studying music for several years

So I need some advice. I normally learn by example. So is there some musical pieces that I should study heavily to make me good at this. Also, if any of you know a good series of youtube videos about composing, then you could tell me.

The truth is he's probably right. I can't rely on simple peoples opinion. The only way to become a master of music is to set my standards above what your average plebian considers good.

I mean, what right does a normal person have to say something is good, when someone more intelligent and educated says otherwise.

Personally, I don't believe in talent, I believe in skill and luck. So I need to pour 100% of myself into becoming at least decent at music. There's no point in making music at all if you aren't amazing at it.... good isn't good enough, you have to be amazing. There's nothing inbetween a virtuoso and a failure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXREjWMkUk4
Also, is this guitar out of tune? I know my singing sucks, but do these instruments suck?
silversongwriterFeb 14, 2015 10:52 PM
Feb 14, 2015 10:56 PM

Feb 2014
Not the best I heard but hey apparently playing rubbish music on tv is the norm now. Keep improving homie.
Feb 15, 2015 2:37 AM

May 2014
I havent listened to it yet but I dont think you should believe anyone who claims that shit on the internet and doesn't even give good advice.
I've been here way too long...
Feb 15, 2015 7:39 AM

May 2014
I finally got around to listening to all of them, I certainly wouldn't call them bad, they feel like they could do in an 8bit game though because the quality of the instruments are poor. If I were to guess I would say you come up with a two note beat and then play the scale over it through different ways, am I right? Try and make a more complex beat and that way your music will sound richer.

as for the one where you sing in it I laughed because the instruments are just completely out of sync with each other at the start, the lead guitar doesn't sound out of tune but the audio is picking it up pretty badly.
Feb 15, 2015 9:02 AM

Aug 2014
TheConquerer said:
I finally got around to listening to all of them, I certainly wouldn't call them bad, they feel like they could do in an 8bit game though because the quality of the instruments are poor. If I were to guess I would say you come up with a two note beat and then play the scale over it through different ways, am I right? Try and make a more complex beat and that way your music will sound richer.

as for the one where you sing in it I laughed because the instruments are just completely out of sync with each other at the start, the lead guitar doesn't sound out of tune but the audio is picking it up pretty badly.

So the guitar riff isn't bad, it's just poorly executed
Feb 15, 2015 12:42 PM

May 2014
silversongwriter said:

So the guitar riff isn't bad, it's just poorly executed

Well it kinda sounds bad as well. Maybe try working on an arpeggio or aolian scale and it'll sound better.
Feb 15, 2015 7:00 PM
Jul 2018
I sincerely doubt a music teacher would say that.

Otherwise they wouldn't teach music. You, my friend, just met an asshole on the internet. *Pops confetti gun*
Feb 15, 2015 7:07 PM

Nov 2010
Whatever you like is good.
Feb 15, 2015 7:49 PM

Aug 2014
Mashiro-Yuki said:
I sincerely doubt a music teacher would say that.

Otherwise they wouldn't teach music. You, my friend, just met an asshole on the internet. *Pops confetti gun*

they wouldn't say that to a student, but some guy on the internet is different
Feb 15, 2015 7:50 PM
Mar 2011
how long have you played
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Feb 15, 2015 8:03 PM

Aug 2014
FGAU1912 said:
how long have you played

I've played guitar inconsistently for 3 years.... so really I can't say, since it's never been a routine and has always been off and on.
Feb 15, 2015 8:06 PM
Mar 2011
silversongwriter said:
FGAU1912 said:
how long have you played

I've played guitar inconsistently for 3 years.... so really I can't say, since it's never been a routine and has always been off and on.

then i say thats good
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Feb 15, 2015 8:11 PM
Feb 2014
I am a classical pianist for last 10 years and electronic producer as of about 3 years ago, and I can say that each piece is problematic to an extent, but none of it is throw away. What I'm saying is they are in all honesty they are not that great, but I hear potential. You just need to grow and research and explore more and get deeper with it. Focus on learning music theory and that will push you forward in almost all aspects. You'll see results if you understand what you're actually putting down into your productions. Hope this helps, and don't give up, man~!
Feb 15, 2015 10:30 PM

Mar 2012
Alright here's my reply to this. I'm not an expert but have been making music for years now.

You will improve, but it will take time. Early on lots of people including someone I looked up to told me my music was shit and terrible. Just don't give up and keep working at it. Never be afraid to try new things and to experiment. Anyone that tells you to quit just ignore. But do pay attention to things they point out (as long as you think they're a better composer/producer then you and know what they're talking about) to find out where you can improve. Maybe even ask them to elaborate and say what's wrong boring about it. Harsh criticism hurts but it can actually help you improve, I know it helped me.

TheConquerer said:
the instruments are just completely out of sync with each other at the start

Also unless it's experimental, noise, or avant-garde then always make sure everything is in-sync and on beat! Offbeat music can be enjoyable but only to a small demographic. 4/4 is a really simple signature so you can use that to make sure it's on beat. I do electronic music and I always try to place the kicks along that signature. Often putting them in between and stuff too but that's more complex stuff, try to be simple at first to get the basics down.
Feb 16, 2015 11:24 AM

Jun 2010
silversongwriter said:
Also, is this guitar out of tune? I know my singing sucks, but do these instruments suck?

I wouldn't say it's out of tune neither that the instruments sucks, but rather may I ask, which amp are you using?
A lot of people tend to blame their guitars for a bad sound when in fact it's their amp that's messing things up.
Also, take a look at this article: http://theproaudiofiles.com/how-to-get-great-guitar-tone/
A couple of years ago I had this gorgeous Epiphone Les Paul 100 but used a REALLY shitty 3rd rate amp with it. When I finally replaced it with a Marshall, woah, dem difference.

About your piece in general, it's a nice original and if I were you, I'd be proud of it. I'd just suggest you keep practicing your tempo as the intro was a bit messy, picking accuracy + strength and also work a bit on the harmony during the last segment, frankly it's kinda clusterfucked with so many different tracks.
Shimapan-chan said:
try to be simple at first to get the basics down.

^
Feb 16, 2015 7:13 PM

Aug 2014
xbobx said:
silversongwriter said:

I wouldn't say it's out of tune neither that the instruments sucks, but rather may I ask, which amp are you using?
A lot of people tend to blame their guitars for a bad sound when in fact it's their amp that's messing things up.
Also, take a look at this article: http://theproaudiofiles.com/how-to-get-great-guitar-tone/
A couple of years ago I had this gorgeous Epiphone Les Paul 100 but used a REALLY shitty 3rd rate amp with it. When I finally replaced it with a Marshall, woah, dem difference.

About your piece in general, it's a nice original and if I were you, I'd be proud of it. I'd just suggest you keep practicing your tempo as the intro was a bit messy, picking accuracy + strength and also work a bit on the harmony during the last segment, frankly it's kinda clusterfucked with so many different tracks.
Shimapan-chan said:
try to be simple at first to get the basics down.

^

Thanks... I used a PODHD400 fed directly to my computer. I don't own an amp
Feb 16, 2015 7:29 PM
Mar 2013
I don't know if this means anything from a non-music expert but your first piece managed to make me instantly feel an insane amount of dizziness and fatigue with a hint of unease. So I think that just because it was able to evoke such a strange emotion/state in me it's good aha
Feb 16, 2015 9:26 PM

Nov 2009
Hi, 20 years of music experience here. I think you should start from the basics. The good thing is, you show a passion for it and seem willing to learn in your first post. But you're trying to leap too far ahead when your foundations aren't there at all. I can tell you have bits of knowledge here and there, but you have yet to utilize them effectively and reasonably because you're missing lots and lots of other bits in between.

Might I suggest you take some music lessons, maybe in piano as this instrument easily provides for what you need in the 'general' case. Music theory also plays a big part in composition and you'd definitely want to study it in depth. Couple that with listening to a lot of music of different genres, by various composers, and expand your horizon in the world of music. Start from Baroque, and move onto Classical, Romantic, as well as what the 20th Century has to offer (which ranges from minimalism to jazz.)

Most importantly, you absolutely must be critical of yourself: in performing, in recording, and in learning. The main reason new learners in music need teachers is because they do not have the 'ear' to be critical of themselves. They are not able to identify their mistakes for whatever reason. Let's use your guitar/singing track as an example. You know something is off, then you should look for that 'something' which is off. If you want to produce a smooth-going, nice sounding track, I'm sure you'd want everything to be set up perfectly before you actually start recording. For example your guitar is out of tune. To prevent this problem in the future, make it a standard procedure: Every time you pick up your guitar, tune it before you start playing! In case you don't know how to tune it, there are plenty of guides on the Internet for that.

There's one thing that you can fix to improve your current recordings a hundred-fold: Articulation. You have displayed bits of it, but I'm not sure if you are aware of it, and it certainly has plenty of room for improvement, plenty. But to learn this technique you would first have to learn to 'listen' to what you're playing. Very often, music players tend to decorate the music they're playing in their mind, and it sounds good in their head because they 'imagine' it to be. This has nothing to do with subjectivity. This is being delusional.

If you're devoted to the production side of music, then you certainly want to know at least the basics of music technology, such as recording techniques, quality of recording etc. This aspect of music requires precision much more than your average performance on stage. You'd want to be perfect in everything you do before, during, and after recording (eg. post-processing.)

All in all, music is subjective, what sounds good to one might not sound the same to another, and vice versa. I certainly will not condemn what I consider to be 'uninteresting' music. I can say, "I don't like it," but I can't say "it's bad music." However, if your goal is to make music that sounds 'good' to the majority of the people, then you're better off conforming to a more 'common' musical structure. At the moment your music sounds incoherent to a trained ear, and very much formless. It tries to establish an identity for itself, but fails to do so in the way that you're lumping ideas together with duct tape. Again, there's no right or wrong in this, but with the way it is now, it has problem relating to the majority of your target audience. My advice above may not be absolute, but it should certainly provide good starting grounds for you to fix the problems you have.

deviantART                                    YouTube  

More topics from this board

» Anime hoodies - Would you wear it ?

abambata - Apr 17

1 by DesuMaiden »»
4 hours ago

» What software(s) and hardware(s) do you use for digital drawings?

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

11 by DesuMaiden »»
4 hours ago

» Have you tried using lmms?

Cammell - 6 hours ago

0 by Cammell »»
6 hours ago

» Help me modify this layout

Luffie00 - Yesterday

0 by Luffie00 »»
Yesterday, 7:01 PM

» Share Your YouTube Channel/Videos! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nin-tendo - Dec 16, 2022

357 by nin-tendo »»
Yesterday, 12:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.