Forum Settings
Forums
Feb 14, 2015 1:25 PM

What's your favorite band that you think no one else will have heard of? Post a few of your favorite songs of theirs.

Mine is Yura Yura Teikoku, a psychedelic rock band:

Koi ga Shitai

Rame no Pantalon (greatest music video of all time)

Hollow Me

A couple of their songs where used in the movie Love Exposure which I suggest checking out. It's probably my favorite movie of all time.

Feb 14, 2015 2:10 PM

quite some of my favorites have been forgotten by time these days. but thats because thed didnt release that much to begin with.

coincidentally, today i finaly got myself to upload all Natural Cause their tracks (they only released 3 tracks) to youtube since they weren't on there. its terrible quality since i just filmed the record play, its the best i couold do, atleast people can find/hear their music now.

also never met anyone that knew Misanthropic, Part 1, Godorrhoea, Civilised Society, Lachrymose and Carol Ann. well the last 2 are actual lies since i met the members of Noothgrush who worked together with them in the 90's Dino (vocals) even played in Lachrymose. but other than that never met anyone that knew them
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.

Feb 15, 2015 4:38 PM

Amarantos said:
What's your favorite band that you think no one else will have heard of? Post a few of your favorite songs of theirs.

Koi ga Shitai

Hollow Me

A couple of their songs where used in the movie Love Exposure which I suggest checking out. It's probably my favorite movie of all time.

Yura Yura Teikoku is a great band.

I listen to a lot of rather obscure music, so it's kind of difficult to name stuff. I'm just going with the first 20 that came to mind that I could also find on youtube.

385 - I saw them live and even got to meet them. It was amazing

ギャーギャーズ (Gyagyazu)

豊川座敷 (Toyokawa Zashiki)

Laser Background

むせいらん (Museiran)

日本泥簿 (Nihon Dorobo)

パイプカツトマミヰズ (Pipecut Mummies) - I've seen these guys live twice, and they are amazing

Nanycal Z

otori

スカートの中 (Skirt no Naka)

おとぼけビ〜バ〜 (Otoboke Beaver)

THEズズザザズ (The Zuzuzazazu)

musical violence

BIN

Nuclear Rabbit

バクバクドキン (Bakubaku Dokin)

DJ Technorch

ヨヲヨコヲヨ (Yowokowoyo)

COMezik

下山 (Gezan)

Recently I've been getting into the underground punk scene in Japan, so it kind of turned into mostly that with a few random stuff thrown in as it came to mind. I could really just keep going and going with posting this kind of stuff.
私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです

Feb 15, 2015 4:41 PM

My favorite band is Can do they count?

Feb 15, 2015 5:07 PM

Waifu_Strangler said:

I'm not really sure if they are obscure. I guess most people probably haven't heard of them, but within prog rock/krautrock circles, I'd say they're pretty big. Good band though.
私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです

Feb 15, 2015 5:21 PM

Kyzix said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

I'm not really sure if they are obscure. I guess most people probably haven't heard of them, but within prog rock/krautrock circles, I'd say they're pretty big. Good band though.

How's about The Residents?

Feb 15, 2015 7:57 PM

Waifu_Strangler said:
Kyzix said:

How's about The Residents?

I'd kind of include them in the same popularity category as Can. I feel like both of them are only "obscure" for people who have never ventured out of the mainstream at all whatsoever (I guess that's a lot of people though). They are both like popular bands of the underground if you know what I mean. Like maybe the difference between bands like King Crimson or Gentle Giant and Egg or Trúbrot.

Then again I'm not really a good person to ask because I grew up listening to that kind of stuff. I tend to assume bands are more popular than the actually are.
私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです

Feb 15, 2015 9:51 PM

Obscure? Dunno how unpopular it must be to be to be considered obscure, but I like 'Insinnerator' thrash band. They kinda have crappy vocals but I like them anyway

Feb 16, 2015 12:49 AM

I listen to lots of music that is obscure within the entire realm of music or in all of electronica but is not exactly obscure within the respective scenes. So here is something I really like that is obscure within it's respective scene and therefore really obscure in all of music. He's a soloist not a band and he goes by Tsubaki Yeah!, among other names. So obscure you actually have to know him to get some of his releases.

I write game reviews that you can check out here: 🎮

Feb 16, 2015 1:34 AM

Maybe Casiopea and Uzeb.
I would recommend Elio e le Storie Tese, they're are totally unknown outside Italy but they're cool. They take inspiration from a lot of genre and especially by Frank Zappa.

Feb 16, 2015 9:50 AM

Thanks for the long list Kyzix. I think I'll be looking up more songs from 385, Bakubaku Dokin, COMezik and Otoboke Beaver. The rest I didn't like though.

Came across this recently, nice and chill.

Love the bass, it's heard better with headphones.

Feb 16, 2015 9:55 AM

Feb 16, 2015 10:57 AM
I'm assuming that this band is obscure. Nightmare of You. I saw their music video on Fuse TV back in 2006 and bought their album immediately. Here are two songs off of their self titled album. They are still a band but I don't think they do much anymore.

Feb 16, 2015 11:39 AM

Amarantos said:
Thanks for the long list Kyzix. I think I'll be looking up more songs from 385, Bakubaku Dokin, COMezik and Otoboke Beaver. The rest I didn't like though.

There are a lot more bands related to 385 too. They're really nice too. I got to meet them a few years ago. Also, their bassist/vocalist is incredibly short. The top of her head was barely at my shoulder.

Bleach03 - This is the bassist/vocalist of 385's previous band

ミドリ (Midori) - I'm not sure if I'd say they're obscure anymore since their singer is now an actress, and her solo stuff is getting pretty popular. Also, Midori's keyboardist is a friend of 385 and played with them after their lost their original keyboardist and before they got their current one

This band isn't obscure at all, but this is the previous band of the keyboardist from 385, School Food Punishment

Okay, here is stuff that you might like isn't directly related to 385:

MAMADRIVE

THE米騒動 (The Kome Soudou)

4ちゃねる (4 Channel)

ぐしゃ人間

Limited Express (Has Gone?)

ミケトロイズ

テイヘン (Teihen)

URBANフェチ (Urban Fetish)

優雅灯 (Yuugatou)

ゾンビちゃん (Zombie-chan)

ニセモノカメラ (Nisemono Camera)

Amarantos said:

Love the bass, it's heard better with headphones.

They are actually a pretty popular indie band. I wouldn't say they're obscure (I guess outside of Japan they are though). Have you seen the music video for that song? It's really cool:

The same guy also does videos for a band called カラスは真っ白 (Karasu wa Masshiro)
私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです

Feb 16, 2015 6:50 PM

Halfsleeper said:
Shimapan-chan said:
Tsubaki Yeah!

Pokemon Lavender Music Project, Mercy Maya and Battle Wolf among other projects he also did are good too.

Wow surprised to see someone else on here not only know of him but some of his other projects too. Yeah all of his projects are very good but Battle Lolis and Tsubaki Yeah! are my favorites.

Feb 17, 2015 1:27 AM

m.o.v.e They did all the Initial D OP songs. Not sure if their completely obscure but their sure as hell not popular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk8k3_nBXWE

Feb 17, 2015 3:34 AM

I dunno.. Big Blood? The Legendary Pink Dots? I'm sure they're well known in certain circles, though.

Stone Breath and Fit & Limo, maybe. Both seem kind of obscure even in the psych/neo folk scene.

Kyzix said:
Amarantos said:

Koi ga Shitai

Hollow Me

Yura Yura Teikoku is a great band.

Nice! I've brought them up several times here. Thought I might be the only fan on the site.

Feb 17, 2015 4:41 AM

Shimapan-chan said:
Halfsleeper said:

Pokemon Lavender Music Project, Mercy Maya and Battle Wolf among other projects he also did are good too.

Wow surprised to see someone else on here not only know of him but some of his other projects too. Yeah all of his projects are very good but Battle Lolis and Tsubaki Yeah! are my favorites.

i coulnt figure out who you are talking about for a secont,.. Goreshit right? pretty sure he did the Mercy Maya right? and Wounder. know the other names. but cant place it derectly. havn't paid much attention to him at all the last fiew years.
when you named Battles Lolis it kinda threw me off. confused it with one of Weaboo Destroyers projects. think it was Loli War Noise or something along those lines. its been a long time.
forgive me if i am wrong.
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.

Feb 17, 2015 5:02 AM

math rock

has math rock gone too far

post rock

Not obscure at all

I couldn't possibly say that I have a favourite band as it would change all the time. Here's a few interesting songs to listen to if you want.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.

Feb 17, 2015 6:54 AM

Halfsleeper said:
gizter13 said:
i coulnt figure out who you are talking about for a secont,.. Goreshit right? pretty sure he did the Mercy Maya right? and Wounder. know the other names. but cant place it derectly. havn't paid much attention to him at all the last fiew years.
when you named Battles Lolis it kinda threw me off. confused it with one of Weaboo Destroyers projects. think it was Loli War Noise or something along those lines. its been a long time.

Goreshit did a split with Mercy Maya. Loli War Noise involves the same guy as Battle Lolis, Mercy Maya, etc. It's two guys for that project.

ah. also possible. i really thought Mercy Maya was Goreshit. did he have another project i could confuse it with? an ampient one?
used to chat with the guy from Loli War Noise, Wervolf etc. the fat one. havn't heard of/about him for years now.
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.

Feb 17, 2015 7:57 AM

Halfsleeper said:
gizter13 said:
ah. also possible. i really thought Mercy Maya was Goreshit. did he have another project i could confuse it with? an ampient one?.

Maybe Hana Sumai you might be thinking of. Here's the release page on discogs for Mercy Maya - http://www.discogs.com/artist/2840667-Mercy-Maya

ah, yeah, thats it.
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.

Feb 17, 2015 11:16 AM

icirate said:
math rock

has math rock gone too far

post rock

Not obscure at all

I couldn't possibly say that I have a favourite band as it would change all the time. Here's a few interesting songs to listen to if you want.

Tera Melos, Yowie, Tortoise, and Tokyo Jihen are all great bands. Tokyo Jihen is defintely not obscure though lol. In fact that are probably one of the single most popular rock bands in Japan.
私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです

Feb 17, 2015 11:22 AM

These freaking glorious bastards

They were huge in Norway and had cult followings in Germany, France, Netherlands and Belgium, but it's safe to call them obscure.
Modified by Red_Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 11:30 AM

Feb 17, 2015 11:45 AM

Takida

Feb 17, 2015 1:15 PM

Is Les Ralizes Denudes obscure?

Feb 17, 2015 2:50 PM

Waifu_Strangler said:
Is Les Ralizes Denudes obscure?

Hmm, debatable. I feel a bit like Kyzix in this regard, my perspective on popularity being skewed. '77 Live is considered something of a seminal noise rock album (which reminds me that I bounced off it on first listen, and should give it another try).

Feb 17, 2015 3:08 PM

How's about the krautrock band Embryo? Surely they must count? A.R. and Machines maybe?

Feb 17, 2015 3:21 PM

LOL, I don't know man.. Again, it's hard for me to say. I'm familiar with both, but I'm sure if you asked most people, outside of music enthusiasts or fans of their respective genres, they wouldn't know them. I'm sure that goes for just about every artist mentioned in the thread.

Feb 18, 2015 11:28 PM

gizter13 said:
Shimapan-chan said:

Mercy Maya is not Goreshit. But yes Goreshit is Wounder. Weeaboo Destroyer (or something like that) was Evil Lolikon's (aka Frost, Youkai, Loli Waffen SS, etc.) personal blog. Abra is Mercy Maya, Battle Lolis, Tsubaki Yeah!, etc.

Loli War Noise is a band that consists of both Abra and Frost.

Feb 19, 2015 1:55 PM

Marquis of Vaudeville

Will sell gamer boi bath water. More in PMs.

Feb 25, 2015 10:00 PM

KLKfanboy said:
Obscure? Dunno how unpopular it must be to be to be considered obscure, but I like 'Insinnerator' thrash band. They kinda have crappy vocals but I like them anyway

^ fucken awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb8gL3E2SnU&list=WL&index=56

My fav underground (or at least 1 of) thrash
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Feb 25, 2015 10:24 PM

OK how about Sigillum S? Please tell me they're considered obscure lol!

Feb 25, 2015 10:27 PM

The album Cacophony by Rudimentary Peni. Pure bliss.

Flux of Pink Indians and Poison Girls tracks are also some of my favorites.
My watch list for anime: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Stonedtanuki

"Let be be finale of seem.
The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream." - Wallace Stevens

Feb 26, 2015 12:10 AM

Waifu_Strangler said:

Woah, they're Italian.

Feb 26, 2015 12:30 AM

Horseshoe Gang

I don't think they're too obscure, but no one seems to know who they are

Feb 26, 2015 1:11 AM

Aria-da-Capo said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

Woah, they're Italian.
What's wrong with that?

Feb 26, 2015 3:20 AM

Halfsleeper said:

Goreshit did a split with Mercy Maya. Loli War Noise involves the same guy as Battle Lolis, Mercy Maya, etc. It's two guys for that project.

That dude was a legend. This concept almost completed me. http://www.last.fm/group/The+NS+Lolicon+Alliance. Then I realised it was mostly bollocks. I seek true artists like Bloody Vomit Bukkakke and Akamushi. Japshitfun told me to go f**k myself once, but I think he probably says that to everybody.

Feb 26, 2015 3:24 AM

/swag

Feb 26, 2015 7:00 AM

Waifu_Strangler said:
Aria-da-Capo said:

Woah, they're Italian.
What's wrong with that?

Nothing, I was just surprised. Never heard of them despite being Italian.

Feb 26, 2015 9:57 AM

Stonedtanuki said:
The album Cacophony by Rudimentary Peni. Pure bliss.

Flux of Pink Indians and Poison Girls tracks are also some of my favorites.

great bands. but cant really say they are obscure. flux and Posion Girls are very well known anarcho bands. Peni is incredibly well known. though probably most people dont listen to anything past Death Church.. Cacophony is one of the best albums ever, Blinko's vocals on there are insane! so much diversity.
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.

Feb 26, 2015 10:02 AM

local band count?

Feb 26, 2015 11:40 AM

Killaclown said:
local band count?

Cool. My ex-band count? lol.
Modified by Aria-da-Capo, Feb 26, 2015 11:47 AM

Feb 26, 2015 11:45 AM

is Hootie and the Blowfish an obscure band?

Feb 26, 2015 1:08 PM

Sopor Aeternus, though I'm not sure if they are that obscure.

In dër Palastra

Imhotep

Feb 26, 2015 5:43 PM

mgronald said:
is Hootie and the Blowfish an obscure band?

They were huge in the 90s, with multiple top ten singles and platinum selling albums. I remember hearing them on the radio constantly. Not even close to obscure.

Feb 27, 2015 5:01 AM

Not a band, but... Aivi & Surasshu.

Great pianist/chiptune duo. Really underrated.

Feb 27, 2015 3:01 PM

Eh, I don't think they're that obscure, but I suppose they're the most obscure band I know:

Bittenfeld said:
To tell you my honest feelings, Admiral Müller, as the groom at a wedding ceremony, the Kaiser is simply just a handsome man, I'm afraid to say. But as the supreme fleet admiral who leads entire fleets, he's really a godly person. Don't you think so, too?
Müller said:
I think he's quite godly as a groom, too.

Feb 27, 2015 6:00 PM

The only reason why I even know about this band is because the sole member is the vocalist in Deathspell Omega.

Feb 27, 2015 6:37 PM

radiohead, in the aeroplane of the sea, and the death grips. they're my favorite bands. jenny when! lol.