Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 13, 2015 5:50 PM

Nov 2008
This hit me when I was reading the manga and Tokyo Ghoul reminds me lot like X-Men

The ghouls and mutants are really similar, there considered out cast and monsters or freaks by normal people because they have powers and some mutants where masks to keep there identity a secret like the ghouls.

The investigators with there special weapons, The Arata, are like the government with Sentinels that are trying to kills or capture mutants.

The Aogiri Tree with there leader The One Eyed King that are trying to make ghouls the dominate species ever are like Magneto and the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.

Lastly Ken Kaneki is like Wolverine and Jean Grey, falling to dark side like Jean becoming Dark Phoenix and losing his memory like Wolverine.

Do any of you think so to?
Feb 13, 2015 7:05 PM
Jul 2010
Yeah but you could say X-Men is similar to this story, and then this story is similar to that story, etc.

Authors pretty much follow a pattern of archetypes. Thats why we see a lot of similarities within literature/stories.
Feb 14, 2015 12:04 AM
Sep 2010
Not at all. Ghouls are not considered outcasts or freaks. They are another species hiding in human society. And humans (at least the majority) view them as nothing more than man-eating monsters, not because of their "power", but because they fucking eat people.

We don't know yet what is the goal of Aogiri Tree.

Kaneki didn't fall to the dark side, as there isn't really a dark side in the series. And he didn't lose his memories, but rather suppressed them (not really confirmed yet) and it's very likely that he will regain them very soon.

Masks, government agencies/weapons, organisations with leaders, etc. are far too common to be determining factors.

If anything, TG reminds me of a vampire story.
Feb 14, 2015 3:59 AM

Oct 2013
Putrescence said:

But Sasaki doesn't shine bright. ._.
Feb 14, 2015 8:12 AM

Dec 2014
I haven't seen the Xmen movie, but from the comments I read here I can make my own opinion. Which is no.

As putrescene said
Ghouls are feared because they eat humans, not because they were some different specie with super strength, that's maybe one small reason, but the biggest one is because ghouls prey on humans and the reason why thre mask come in with the ghouls is so that the CCG won't be able to figure out their identity, then there are the ghouls who see it as a masquerade. *CoughTsukiyamacough*

Arata is not the only weapon, Arata is one of the weapons that's underdevelopment. There are a lot of different quinque, and the main point is that these weapons are made from ghouls.

We don't know yet what Aogiri's aim is. Yes they're killing doves and such, but I don't think that the CCG is their aim, nor do I think that their goal is to make the ghouls the dominant special, but more to break out of the 'egg' what the egg symbolizes... who knows, maybe it's organisation V.
Let's not forget that the Aogiri isn't the only evil organisation in TG.

Kaneki hasn't really become dark... He became mentally unstable and practically threw his mind into abyss. I think thats the best description for Kaneki's situation. Hinami stated it before, he's still gentle and kind to his friends... just with a new expression of agony and torture present. He's merciless to his enemies in a way that he doesn't even care to torture them as long as he get's what he wants. He's unstable, which is not the same as becoming dark.

Again I haven't watched the X-men movie, so I'm not sure if my statement is accurate, just a conclusion I made form your post.

despite being at TG re we still don't know much, who is the real bad guy? What are their goals what are their connection? Many characters are shrouded in mystery, Hide, Arima etc. We don't know what happened in the 3 years between TH and Re. I We don't even know a lot about V, the CCG is shadier than people would have thought when they started reading this manga. waaay too many things are shrouded in the shadows, so its too hard to make a proper conclusion or comparison.

Nuvi said:
Putrescence said:

But Sasaki doesn't shine bright. ._.

Lol sparkle sparkle. Now I'm in the mood to watch Vampire suck.

You could also apply to the Japanese image of a vampire, like Rosario+vampire manga.

Happy happy happy!!!
Feb 14, 2015 1:42 PM
Jan 2015
reaction to the subject was nope nope nope. X-men has a completely different message in mind, too, since it seems to address prejudice frequently. ghouls are inherent predators for humans, while mutants were essentially evolved humans that were discriminated against. sure, kaneki believe(ed) that because he had experienced both sides of the coin that he could bridge the two, but that's his own flawed belief. unless an alternative food source is found for ghouls, and the auction kind of implies that most ghouls don't care anyway, kaneki's belief will remain pointless. tho I'm interested in seeing Amon's development and its impact upon the narrative of the series.
"Is it just me, or is the lobby full of ghouls?" - CCG investigator Roger Sterling.
Feb 14, 2015 1:48 PM

Oct 2013
I would say Tokyo ghoul reminds more of vampire series. X men is a no, no.
Feb 14, 2015 2:05 PM
Sep 2010
Mack2 said:
unless an alternative food source is found for ghouls, and the auction kind of implies that most ghouls don't care anyway, kaneki's belief will remain pointless.

I personally wouldn't go as far as saying that his belief [that humans and ghouls can coexist] is completely pointless. It is just something that has to be worked on.
Feb 14, 2015 2:47 PM
Jan 2015
Putrescence said:
Mack2 said:
unless an alternative food source is found for ghouls, and the auction kind of implies that most ghouls don't care anyway, kaneki's belief will remain pointless.

I personally wouldn't go as far as saying that his belief [that humans and ghouls can coexist] is completely pointless. It is just something that has to be worked on.

anteiku's approach(using corpses of people who had committed suicide for example) was a lot less heinous but the thought of people accepting even that seems preposterous.

it just seemed to me that kaneki's thinking at the time was so emotional due to being accepted by anteiku.
"Is it just me, or is the lobby full of ghouls?" - CCG investigator Roger Sterling.
Feb 15, 2015 1:50 PM

Oct 2014
I have always thought of TG as a mafia storyline,
an innocent and naive man, gets unknownligly mixed up in mafia business.
He tries to adapt himself to this new world
and the ccg is the police
"It's like Tolstoy said. Happiness is an allegory, unhappiness a story"

"And the sense of tragedy-according to Aristotle.comes, ironically enough, not from the protagonist's weak points but from his good qualities. Do you know what I'm getting at? People are drawn deeper into tragedy not by their defects but by their virtues"

Kafka on the shore by Haruki Murakami...the man that was the inspiration for Sen Takatsuki

Feb 17, 2015 12:28 AM
Jan 2015
The setting is similar to an extent u can argue that the brotherhood of evil and magneto = aogiri, that the ccg = sentinels and that anteiku = x-men, the destruction of anteiku is also similar to the destruction of the xmen in the sentinel storyline. But that is where the similarities end to me.
Feb 18, 2015 1:07 PM

Sep 2013
It's more like bleach.
ccg = shinigami//quincy
ghouls = hollow
touka = rukia
amon = white chad
arima = uryu
touka's mask = chappy dispenser
masks in general= hollow masks
kaneki/sasaki personality = ichigo and his hollow
hide = short ichigo
ichii_1Feb 18, 2015 1:14 PM
Feb 18, 2015 1:10 PM

Jan 2015
ichii_1 said:
It's more like bleach.

Which is like xmen.

A lot of anime are like comics, because thats what they were inspired by.
Feb 18, 2015 1:19 PM

Sep 2013
ChairForceOne said:
ichii_1 said:
It's more like bleach.

Which is like xmen.

A lot of anime are like comics, because thats what they were inspired by.

Kubo probably didn't even read x men, bleach is yyh, saint seiya and gegege no kitarō.
comics don't influence japanese manga at all unless it's superman and batman.
Sep 21, 2018 12:04 AM
Sep 2018
I think in their essence they are both trying to assess human mechanisms that deal with fear. It is also apparent that Tokyo Ghoul has been inspired by X-Men, and taken it to the next level by complicating the problem at hand. The X-Men series assigns clear cut "good or bad" identities to various factions depending on how they deal with their fear. The characters demonstrate their changes by jumping from establishment to establishment. Tokyo Ghoul evolves this in a way to state that there cannot be a set moral code. The lesson of Tokyo Ghoul is that "the right thing to do" does not exist. In the end we are all driven by fear and evolutionary biology. This is not a matter of who came first, but whose ideology more aligns with yours, the readers.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 181 Discussion

Raizel - Aug 8, 2018

48 by flesh123 »»
Apr 12, 1:47 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 125 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Z4K - May 20, 2017

333 by CanderousTheOrdo »»
Apr 5, 5:04 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 179 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 10, 2018

33 by ren_moon »»
Mar 13, 11:06 PM

» Tokyo Ghoul:re Conclusion Then vs Now

PSN - Jan 12, 2022

10 by Zero01guard »»
Dec 26, 2023 10:10 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

lunar1412 - Dec 29, 2014

204 by Buddistic »»
Sep 14, 2023 6:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.