Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 13, 2015 8:47 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Alfonso vs. Leon this episode huh? I feel like these two might cross swords someday and they didn't waste time to do so.

The Horror this episode imo was kinda creepy. I mean, they are getting stranger every week. Action was great on most parts and Alfonso does not disappoint in terms of his fighting ability imo. The tense atmosphere was quite something though after the emotional impact of the recent events.
Feb 13, 2015 10:08 AM

Jul 2010
Wherever a saviour appears, danger is also around. Makai Knights having to accept that fact even when danger appears near their loved ones :/

Herman has really done it now!

Alfonso vs Leon was really nice on how the two didn't hold back. Leon earning the right instead of it being given to him. While I am happy to see Leon back in action, it is sometimes hard to watch as it just shows how much the time Leon spent with Lara meant to him.

Helping Mendoza that would help the knight's cause o.o
Feb 13, 2015 10:13 AM
Apr 2012
Herman is really a bad dad. No wonder Leon ended up emo in the beginning.
Feb 13, 2015 10:14 AM

Jun 2012
Hey Garo, you see what you did this week? Yeah, do more of that from now on
That's how you propel the story forward without sacrificing character development
HybridMBLFeb 13, 2015 10:18 AM
Feb 13, 2015 10:18 AM

Aug 2010
Another great ep. This series has definitely starting to pick up now.

Poor Leon man. So Lara's really friggin dead T^T
Glad he overcame his darkness and got back Garo justifiably. Dat Leon vs Alfonso was friggin EPIC!!! DAT ART & ANIMATION *o* SO GOOD!!!

The scene when he cried after saving the little girl and saw her smile was really touching :*(

Ximena wanting German to stay was so kawaii <3 Dat kissing scene doe *A*
Quite intense :3 And they went all the way too ^^ Probably the first time German had sex with a woman he loves in quite a long time XD

I really wonder what he's gonna do with Mendoza though. Nxt up Ema.
Feb 13, 2015 10:33 AM

Jul 2009
Leon rekted Alfonso! Thank god he's back.

Herman is such a slut. Ximena should of played harder to get.
Feb 13, 2015 10:39 AM

Oct 2014
So watchdog centre has assigned German to protect Mendoza, so will Alfonso and Leon be German's enemies or Is Mendoza on the good side?
Feb 13, 2015 10:42 AM

Nov 2012
OK, so I am supposed to believed that only cause Leon got his shit together, he was able to defeat Alfonso. I mean the guy has not hold a sword for quite some time while Alfonso has been constantly fighting horrors (It wasn't a farming competition). Funny that later on when they were fighting the horror, he looked actually weaker in comparison to Alfonso Basically, Alfonso with armor fights well, Alfonso without armor just a regular guy.
Also, what the fuck is up with that armor, this new armor is so lame in comparison to the one from the beginning. If revenge was why his armor was different, I definitely hope he seeks for revenge later on.... (and the f........ flames, what hell happened to the flames, NOT COOL).
Anyway, LOL at Herman not letting Alfonso say anything about Leon's commitment. Got to admit Alfonso is kinda boring sometimes.
And LOL @ Alfonso "This is the golden armor; It is not something to lend out like a toy" only to lose it later on.
jose21Feb 13, 2015 11:00 AM
Feb 13, 2015 10:48 AM

Sep 2013
Woooow! This episode gave me chills!! The fight between Alfonso and Leon was amazing, and I'm really liking the direction they're taking this series!! (Not to mention the bromance is high in this episode!) It's times like these where I feel this show is sorely underrated!
Feb 13, 2015 10:49 AM

Apr 2014
Leon really gave Alfonso a hard time huh? It's good he got the Golden Armor again. Because Alfonso was such a NEWBIE.
German and Ximena really done it! (That scene was kinda out f place)
I wonder why the "Watch Dog Center" ordered Herman to help Mendoza?
I guess Mendoza was back being a Makai Alchemist now. (Had woken up like Leon)
RayzerFeb 14, 2015 7:46 PM
Haters always gonna hate.
Feb 13, 2015 10:54 AM

Jun 2013
The fighting animation was top-notch and downright amazing. It was a VERY good choice to focus so much on this fighting scene because it was a crucial turning point for this anime: when Leon finally cuts his flames of revenge away. If the animation seemed lackluster and choppy, I wouldn't really have been convinced whether Leon really did change or not. It would have just been, "Oh, I guess he changed."

I feel like the second season has been a lot of buildup and not much else, but this episode convinced me otherwise.
Feb 13, 2015 10:56 AM

Apr 2014
pakoko said:

I feel like the second season has been a lot of buildup and not much else, but this episode convinced me otherwise.

This is not a second season. This was a 2 cour.
Feb 13, 2015 11:06 AM

Jan 2012
So Lara really is dead... why ;( damn confusing ED :(

Anyway nice fight between Leon & Alfonso
Feb 13, 2015 11:47 AM

Nov 2009
Alfonso lost the Garo?! NOOOOO! He makes a better Golden Knight than Leon, period. The amount of concern Alfonso shows for him vs Leon still not giving a damn about him or his feelings is annoying to say the least. Hard ep to watch. Also, i like the design of Alfonso's Garo better (closer to the original one, a real wolf) than Leon's flashy but impractical rings.

Rayzer said:
Because Alfonso was such a NEWBIE.
Alfonso watches out for people so much more than Leon ever did, engrossed in his emo act. Alfonso's compassion and desire to protect is on a totally different level compared to Leon's, and you can't deny that.
CGFeb 13, 2015 12:02 PM
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Feb 13, 2015 11:48 AM

Jul 2010
That battle was great, we finally got an anime with some decent animation.

So basically, what the ED is showing is purely metaphorical, it's not about Leon protecting Lala, but protecting people he could hold dear as well if he had lived with them.
Feb 13, 2015 12:08 PM

Apr 2014
CG said:

Rayzer said:
Because Alfonso was such a NEWBIE.
Alfonso watches out for people so much more than Leon ever did, engrossed in his emo act. Alfonso's compassion and desire to protect is on a totally different level compared to Leon's, and you can't deny that.

What are you up to? I doesn't lie on how many people they are trying to protect.
It was on skills and how they kill/defeat horrors. If they kill horrors they can protect people.
Feb 13, 2015 12:21 PM

Nov 2009
Rayzer said:
What are you up to? I doesn't lie on how many people they are trying to protect.
It was on skills and how they kill/defeat horrors. If they kill horrors they can protect people.

Name one Horror Alfonso failed to defeat as the Golden Knight, then.

Going extra mile also counts, y'know, especially when you try to protect something that's fuzzily defined (and "people" are that, they're everywhere, often nameless, faceless, yet living, and not only ones that're dear to Leon)

You were referring to Alfonso as a "newbie" when he actually shows more maturity and commitment than Leon at every turn, even in this ep's battle, hence my disagreeing with that.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Feb 13, 2015 12:27 PM
Apr 2012
Alfonso got everything easy. No horror he fought Herman couldn't defeat. Also Leon had years of training compared to Alfonso. Of course Leon was better.
ssj4jwFeb 13, 2015 12:32 PM
Feb 13, 2015 12:37 PM

Jun 2013
Rayzer said:
pakoko said:

This is not a second season. This was a 2 cour.

Oh yeah, my bad. I probably thought this was the second season because there was like a 2 week break before the second half started and the last episode of the first half felt a lot like the end of a season.
Feb 13, 2015 12:58 PM

Mar 2014
This was one of the best episodes yet. Great fight scene between Leon and Alfonso, and the long awaited love scene of German and Ximena. I'm so glad they are making a season 2 and a movie!
I like anime and you like anime. We have more in common than you think.....
Feb 13, 2015 1:16 PM
Oct 2013
This episode is one of the better fight scenes, second to Fate/SN:UBW, I've been in a while. New camera angles are also thrown into the show. Fantastic battle animation. 5/5
Feb 13, 2015 1:20 PM

Apr 2012
mbdsquad said:
This episode is one of the better fight scenes, second to Fate/SN:UBW, I've been in a while. New camera angles are also thrown into the show. Fantastic battle animation. 5/5

UBW may have slightly better animation (altough Im not convinced of that) but they suck much more in the coreography department.

Amazing episode for me. Definetly my fav from last season and even compared to everything this season. I bloody love this anime.
Feb 13, 2015 1:29 PM
Jul 2018
Leon got some good character development in this episode. Good to see that he got his Golden Armor back!
Feb 13, 2015 1:33 PM

Nov 2012
Herman is kinda a shitty father.

Wonder if Ximena will be eventual horror bait.
Feb 13, 2015 1:34 PM

Jun 2014
Best episode in a long time. Which is really saying something, cause there hasnt really been a BAD episode. I'm so bummed about Laura though... I really liked her!

This is the ONE time I hope some Voodoo bullshit happens that brings her back. Id like a happy ending for Leon and German. They have both lost so much.
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Feb 13, 2015 1:54 PM

Sep 2014
I still dont get it why Lara is on the Season 2 Promo Poster. I mean if she is dead for sure what is the points in promoting her? I Really hope for a miracle for LeonXLara :/
Feb 13, 2015 2:03 PM
Sep 2014
Wow the alfonso vs leon fight was amazing and them facing the horror was amazing. Those graphics were wonderful. Emotional great episode
Feb 13, 2015 2:03 PM

Aug 2012
Now that is how you choreograph/animate a sword fight, sweet jesus that was beautiful. And I couldn't be happier with the direction Leon's character is going in. It's exactly what I hoped for and envisioned after last episode, he has the capacity to become a scary good knight and character.
Feb 13, 2015 2:07 PM

Sep 2011
Amazing episode, leon is such a compelling character as of recent and i feel an urge to add him to my favorites since everything thats been happening post ep 12, the fight, the atmosphere, the melancholic tone, the character development, and build up for even greater things, this ep just had it all.

And not that i wasnt expecting this to happen but herman is definetly going to die. As if leon hasnt suffered enough.

Aleskar said:
I still dont get it why Lara is on the Season 2 Promo Poster. I mean if she is dead for sure what is the points in promoting her? I Really hope for a miracle for LeonXLara :/
cause that poster was only made for the 2nd half of this season (13-24) not season 2, mal just put that on there for whatever reason and created unneeded confusion.
JizzyHitlerFeb 13, 2015 2:10 PM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Feb 13, 2015 2:19 PM

Nov 2012
JizzyHitler said:
And not that i wasnt expecting this to happen but herman is definetly going to die. As if leon hasnt suffered enough.

If that happens, it may be the end of the Makai Knights. I mean, with him dead, Lara dead and Alfonso gay for the golden armor whose children will be the next Makai knights.... No wonder he got busy this episode with Ximena, hopefully she'll have twins....LOL
Feb 13, 2015 2:50 PM

Mar 2009
Another great episode of Garo. Mappa went all out with the animation too.
So sad that Lara is dead for good, though. :(

Also, finally, Ximena and German got together. About time.
Feb 13, 2015 2:56 PM

Sep 2007
I'm still in denial that Lara is dead ;____;

I guess it would be hard for Leon to get back into the fight if she was still alive and/or revived but.... OTL urrrrg.....

I kinda don't get that shadow thing coming from Leon.... Is it honestly gone for good? I feel like it might come back *shrug*

Mendoza...what in the heck are you plotting....
(My avatar is an original creation-please don't take it)
Feb 13, 2015 2:57 PM

Sep 2011
jose21 said:
JizzyHitler said:

If that happens, it may be the end of the Makai Knights. I mean, with him dead, Lara dead and Alfonso gay for the golden armor whose children will be the next Makai knights.... No wonder he got busy this episode with Ximena, hopefully she'll have twins....LOL
inb4 ximena is pregnant

And who knows maybe alfonso will get a waifu, or not who knows.

Ikano said:

I kinda don't get that shadow thing coming from Leon.... Is it honestly gone for good? I feel like it might come back *shrug*
i think those are with him for life no matter what

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Feb 13, 2015 3:03 PM

Jan 2013
That fight was great. Léon is back for good.
And it looks like Mendoza is still alive... so how about Lara, can she be alive too? No? Shame...
Feb 13, 2015 3:15 PM

Sep 2013
The fighting this episode was fantastic. Especially the Leon vs Alfonso fight. One of the better sword fights I've seen in anime, though I was a bit disappointed that they didn't show how it ended, opting to make it a BIG REVEAL that Leon gets the Garo armor back, which was obviously going to happen. lol

I do like Leon as a character now. He started off as a revenge seeking headstrong kid, learned that fighting for revenge only leads to further destruction. Then learned what it means to want to protect something but failing to do so because of lack of power. Put those 2 together and now he realizes what it means to be a Makai Knight, using the overwhelming power to protect others, not for selfish needs. It's a bit cliche still but fine.

The only issue I have with the show overall though is that Leon is the only character that really develops... Alfonso and Herman, while having slight changes, don't really change enough in comparison to Leon. Unless Herman never fools around with women again because of his attachment to this new woman, then I'd be alright with him too. Unfortunately I am not sure if they'd be able to show that since the rest of this series will likely be heavily plot-based.

The horror this week was alright but they didn't show it off enough. I liked the creepy voice they gave it though.

Solid episode.
Feb 13, 2015 4:24 PM

Jan 2015
As usual the bum Herman, breaks the mood of the anime, with their stupid scenes of fan service, the episode were like so good, with several scenes of action, even back to the fan service Bum Hentai Herman, these ridculas scenes spoil the anime
I do not know how there are people who like that disgusting garbage Herman, He is a father pessimo, negligent, and now this shit puts another child in the world, it is not meant to be a father is garbage, shit, he's nothing but a bum bastard, sleeping with prostitutes and married women, is now rolling this backpack, which was pregnant, another child to be overlooked, and thrown into the world without care and responsibility.
I hope this shit Herman has a sad death, which is quartered, and has both eyes bored.
I hate parents who neglect their children, not giving education and love and support.
This kind of slob like Herman, are preferred the juvenile court, to take custody of the children.
I'd rather be orphaned, and dying than having a father garbage as Herman.
Herman he only appears in fanservice scenes when thers need it most, this bum ta sleeping with a whore.
Poor Himena, showed that it is an easy woman, a whore, and gave a damn pimp, will now be more of the idiocies of Herman, cheating on her in all episodes
Feb 13, 2015 4:24 PM
May 2014
They certainly used some HUGE amount of budget for this episode and god was it beautifull to witness. The animators went all out and props to the episode director, also liked the slight change in art style for this episode, made everyone look a lot manlier and accentuated the development in Leon's character. Soundtrack was top notch and used with great timing. Great episode, 5/5.
The anime industry is dead, the otaku fanbase killed it.
Feb 13, 2015 4:32 PM

Jan 2015
jose21 said:
JizzyHitler said:

A garbage people like Herman, a totally ridiculous Father, do not deserve to have any more children. He deserves death by neglecting his son, and slept with prostitute and married women, rather than trying to be a father, and help your child in the time he needed, he was sleeping with a whore.
Put a child in the world is no joke of fanservice Hentai, is a thing would be, and a bum, miserable, as Herman, has no responsibility to at least try to be a father
Feb 13, 2015 4:36 PM

Sep 2011
sex scene we never see that furthers the plots and character = fanservice

ok

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Feb 13, 2015 4:41 PM

Jul 2013
JizzyHitler said:

ok

I agree. Besides this will surely lead to something big for Herman. We didnt even get to see Ximena naked so...?

Nice development for Leon. His reaction and determination are admirable.
The way he got Garo back is a bit contrived honestly, but still good. Both fights were awesome.
Feb 13, 2015 4:45 PM

Sep 2011
Soul-Master said:
JizzyHitler said:

ok

I agree. Besides this will surely lead to something big for Herman. We didnt even get to see Ximena naked so...?
We see like....her shoulders and thats it.

Also to the people who say herman never did anything to help leon, bullshit, He spent the entire first cour trying to show leon the good in people as well as trying to get him to learn the value of cooling off and having fun all of which leon always threw away, yeah herman went around sleeping with chicks, you know why? Cause in that line of work if you dont cool off you will end up consumed by your duty, this was the thing leon never managed to learn and caused him to fall into the despair he did.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Feb 13, 2015 4:56 PM

Jan 2015
JizzyHitler said:
Soul-Master said:

We see like....her shoulders and thats it.

Also to the people who say herman never did anything to help leon, bullshit, He spent the entire first cour trying to show leon the good in people as well as trying to get him to learn the value of cooling off and having fun all of which leon always threw away, yeah herman went around sleeping with chicks, you know why? Cause in that line of work if you dont cool off you will end up consumed by your duty, this was the thing leon never managed to learn and caused him to fall into the despair he did.

that beautiful comment, then sleep with married people, and prostitute, is to develop the character, and growth is noticed that you're no father, this is your description of a teenager, parents have responsibility, and should gift giving is good examples to their children, and helping them in good times and bad.
When you are a parent you will intender.
No matter the line, or work, the duty of a father is a good example, and earn the respect of the child, and spend money on prostitutes, and sleeping with married women, only serves as a bad example, you are so ridiculous attitudes away from the children of parents.
The only children respect parents when the parents are people of property, not a bum.
Your comment is typical of adolescence, you do not know the world.
Leon just grew and matured, when she found a real family, who gave him attention, and good examples, such as the family of Lara made for the first time Leon can enjoy a life with a real family. With people of character, and with love.
For the first time we could see Leon smiling, having fun, and growing.
So police, soldiers, and Doctors are forced to sleep with prostitutes, not to be consumed by their duty.
Raphael was not a slob like Herman, and was not consumed by his duty, he died with honor, I promise that Raphael was the father of Leon would not reach the critical point of the episode 12, and never leave the child when he precissase more.
It's just look like Raphael is considerate of Afonso, treating with respect, and considering as a child, In no time we see Raphael, telling Alfonso sleeping with prostitutes and women, married not to be consumed by duty.
seujair31Feb 13, 2015 5:12 PM
Feb 13, 2015 7:30 PM
Jan 2011
Leon, I'm sorry for Lara. I kept believing till the end that she live. It just goes to show just how fragile humans are.
Feb 13, 2015 8:30 PM
Oct 2013
For all of you Wondering how come Leon beat Alfonso and then be worse than him while they fought the Horror-during the scene that took place before the Horror fight, Someone (Probably Alfonso or Zaruba, i cant remember) Implies that this fight will be hard on Leon because it was a long time since he wore Garo last time. Than Again Leon went on more training than Alfonso, making him better at fights that dont use the Makai Knight's Armour.

5/5 episode
Feb 13, 2015 11:03 PM

Jan 2011
This show is so good. It's a shame it's overlooked in general.

Some of the best fight sequence animation I've seen in several seasons. Continuing to enjoy this ride on all fronts.
Feb 13, 2015 11:05 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
The cinematography and animation in the fight scene between Alfonso and Leon was amazing *_*

I'm happy for Leon that he fought off the "flames" and that he is now fighting to protect instead of for revenge. I also love how supportive Alfonso is, telling Leon to "cut away all the flames, so you may never let them burn again!" Leon's redemption route is now fully activated. But what was that about working with Mendoza now? Nice cliffhanger, I wanna know what's up with Mendoza and if he went on his own path of redemption or something, otherwise idk why Herman would be ordered to help Mendoza.
Feb 14, 2015 12:43 AM

Jul 2011
Leon vs Alfonso was beautiful! Nice fight against the horror too, reminds me of that episode when they fought against the gate-horror. Great cinematography. <33

I'm glad there's a season 2, there's still lots to develop. ^^
Feb 14, 2015 12:49 AM
Nov 2013
YES! I've been waiting for Leon's moment to shine and damn did he make me proud! The fight between him and Alfonso was top notch, as well as the horror fight. MAPPA making wet with that animation. And no more little emo bitch!

But damn, I did not expect German to switch sides like that. Best dad of the year?
Feb 14, 2015 12:49 AM
Jul 2012
CG said:
Rayzer said:

Name one Horror Alfonso failed to defeat as the Golden Knight, then.

Going extra mile also counts, y'know, especially when you try to protect something that's fuzzily defined (and "people" are that, they're everywhere, often nameless, faceless, yet living, and not only ones that're dear to Leon)

You were referring to Alfonso as a "newbie" when he actually shows more maturity and commitment than Leon at every turn, even in this ep's battle, hence my disagreeing with that.

The test wasn't based on skills or results, it was just base on Zaruba, Garo and Alfonso's personal opinions of Leon. If Leon qualified in all of their opinions, they were willing to let him done Garo. If not, well we wouldn't have seen him.

Just a piece of information, from the Garo lore, the armors are made from an ancient horror of great power(was still alive for a while) seen in "GARO: The One who Shines in the Darkness" and this most likely means that the armors are also conscious in some way as they are part of a magical being(cuz magic!).

So we can assume the armor, Garo, made its own choice as well. Just my own personal head-canon, Garo saw more potential in Leon than Alfonso.
Feb 14, 2015 1:52 AM

Jan 2010
The fight was superb.
All my friends hate Alfonso so much. (I failed to see why)
If Alfonzo was the main character... Would they still hate him??
Herman.... I don't even know what to ....
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Garo: Honoo no Kokuin Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2015

65 by macabongx »»
Nov 8, 2023 4:02 PM

Poll: » Garo: Honoo no Kokuin Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 6, 2015

204 by Inexplicable »»
Oct 4, 2022 3:50 PM

Poll: » Garo: Honoo no Kokuin Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 3, 2014

169 by Inexplicable »»
Oct 3, 2022 3:40 PM

» 2nd half is a lot better than first

Barry_Allen_14 - Aug 16, 2021

2 by Scythe97 »»
Sep 30, 2022 3:52 AM

Poll: » Garo: Honoo no Kokuin Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 20, 2015

101 by dragynfaerie »»
Jun 26, 2022 8:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.