Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 8, 2015 10:18 AM

Apr 2014
[center]Anime becoming mainstream

So my question is basically, would you prefer it if Anime became much bigger and would no longer be a niche medium?

MikochondriaFeb 8, 2015 10:23 AM
No validation, no applause
You don't have prove you got it when you know it's yours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSSKDIcpdSE
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Feb 8, 2015 10:33 AM

Jun 2014
Yes
Remember guys, I AM NOT A PARAGON OF TASTE.

I HAVE SHIT TASTE LIKE THE REST OF YOU.
Feb 8, 2015 10:38 AM

May 2013
To some extent, yes. Namely, I'd like the mistaken idea that anime is solely meant for kids to disappear.
Feb 8, 2015 10:55 AM

Apr 2014
I don't want it. I like it niche. I'd like the viewpoint of the medium to change, but if it became more popular as it is now, that will not be a good thing. If the majority of people see anime as fanservice, the people drawn into the medium will be because of fanservice and if that's what the fans want, it will be what sells and anime will eventually go down in the shitter more than it already has. Anime would either need to change for me to want it to become popular, or the people brought into anime would have to see it as something more than just fanservice.

Also, if it's more popular then the stuff made will be made to appeal to more people, and as someone with niche taste, that's not something I'd want. The reason I didn't watch that much movies or TV shows was that the stuff that was mainstream (and as such I got exposed to) had little to no appeal to me personally.

So I don't want anime to become more mainstream. And tbh, I actually know a fair amount of people in real life who likes anime, although I used to hate it personally until recently so I never kept track of how many.

Feb 8, 2015 10:59 AM

Jun 2014
More popular is good. Means they will prob make more stuff, so the chance of something good happening increases. And it also means more country can license more stuff, so anime can get more cheaper in some places, like here, for exemple.

Feb 8, 2015 12:02 PM

Sep 2014
It'd be good if anime got more attention, then maybe one day we could get a season 2 to many anime's that havent got one.
Personally though i dont really mind, because i enjoy anime whatever its reputation might be to whoever.
Credit goes to Eggroll for awesome the sig <3 ~~怖いですね。~~

Me>You=Life (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Feb 8, 2015 12:49 PM

Apr 2014
Fellener said:
More popular is good. Means they will prob make more stuff, so the chance of something good happening increases. And it also means more country can license more stuff, so anime can get more cheaper in some places, like here, for exemple.

So would you say anime hasn't gotten worse along with it gaining popularity?

The thing is, anime is a niche medium, and if it tries to appeal to more people it will lose it's niche, and as such might lose the reason why I like it.

Feb 8, 2015 1:15 PM

May 2013
ftFate said:
the people brought into anime would have to see it as something more than just fanservice.

Well that's what I had in mind when I wrote my first reply. Anime becoming more popular as a whole doesn't imply what's currently popular will benefit the most from it. Isn't fanservice what tends to be frown upon the most by people who disregard anime?
Feb 8, 2015 1:40 PM

Dec 2013
CNN always takes shots at anime, if it became mainstream more politically correct americans will ruin it. I like more profits for more sequels but the media would ruin anime.
Feb 8, 2015 1:53 PM

Jun 2014
ftFate said:

So would you say anime hasn't gotten worse along with it gaining popularity?

The thing is, anime is a niche medium, and if it tries to appeal to more people it will lose it's niche, and as such might lose the reason why I like it.

Well, last year was one of the years with the most number of series and there was a lot of good stuff. Yeah, the amount shit exeeds the number of good but wich one you prefer? 100 anime/ year and 2 being at least good or 150 with around 6 titles being good?

Feb 8, 2015 3:06 PM

Apr 2014
@Fellener I'd need to watch more older shows to fully confirm said claim, but last year was in my opinion NOT a good year for anime. If the ratios would be the same and just the number of shows would increase, then I'd be all for it but I don't think that would be the case. The great stuff would become lesser in ratio, at least that would be my guess.

@thanna Most basically disregard it since it's cartoons, not because of the actual content. Yes, anime has shit reputation (justifiably so, looking at the majority of shows) but the fact stands that it's cartoons and cartoons is regarded as childish and as such a lot of people don't watch it simply for that reason. Of course, a lot of people don't watch it for the content and that could change, but for it to reach a mainstream audience the shows that did simply would not be that good since the it would need to have mass appeal, and I don't think most good shows do, at least from what I've seen.

Feb 8, 2015 3:15 PM

Jun 2014
Last year was a great year for slice of life and comedy. But would you really call a year with Kill la Kill, JoJo's, WIXOSS, Mushishi, Ping Pong and some other stuff a bad year in general? And even if the ratio decreses, we are gonna get more stuff, so we are gonna have more good shows to watch in the end.

Feb 8, 2015 3:36 PM

Apr 2014
I don't really count either Mushishi, JoJo's or KLK since they're sequels/started in 2013 but if you count those the year gets significantly better.

Apart from those, what did we really have that stands out as noteworthy? Ping Pong, WIXOSS and Kiseijuu and maybe Garo? That's 3-4 titles. Now, I'm not sure where to draw the line, but as you said before several times comedies and Slice of Life's are forgettable and easily replaced (for the most part) and is why I didn't count Shirobako.

Now, it's not a horrible year (I've heard 2013 was pretty awful with pretty much only Shinsekai Yori) but 5 or less titles that stands out in an entire year? I'm alright with it, but I wouldn't call it good and I think when I get around to older years I will see that the ratio has declined.

It was probably a better year for you than it was for me though, considering you got more enjoyment out of the slice of life shows and comedies than I did. I realize my taste in comedy is pretty niche, but I don't really enjoy that many of them.'

And yes, I called Kiseijuu good despite not being a fan of it. Taste in soundtrack is subjective, and from what I know it pretty much delivers on the other aspects. I might try it again sometime and see if I can get over the freaking dubstep.

Feb 8, 2015 3:39 PM
Jun 2014
I wouldn't particularly say that anime is a niche medium. All in all, there are lots and lots of people that currently watch anime. And, of course, if you grew up with old-school channels you probably saw them on TV as well.

In my opinion, anime becoming mainstream is awesome. Sometimes, anime going mainstream means that people will either: A. watch the anime in some cable TV network/internet/whatever, and then start looking for even more anime to watch; or B. watch the anime, but without doing any further research on the style.
Feb 9, 2015 7:48 AM

Oct 2014
Hmmm. You know, I have had alot of conflicting views within myself on this topic. But in the end I came to the conclusion that I believe anime would be absolutely amazing if it went mainstream. Not only would I have more people to talk about anime with. But if anime became that popular. More money could go into anime, and probably alot bigger and better projects could be created. And we could also get second seasons for them. I feel like alot of the stereotypes surrounding anime will also go away. Of course, media would still take shots at in and such things. But I feel like it would defiantly change the medium of anime as a hole. And open up a whole new view on anime to the western world, or maybe just anywhere else in the world for that matter.

And that would probably also lead to better dubs, and more of them. Sooo. Yeah. Also, I wouldn't really describe anime as a niche medium I mean. It kind of already is getting a bit more attention as the years go on. Especially with things like Attack on Titan. And the Attack on Titan/Marvel cross over manga volume as a perfect example
Feb 12, 2015 7:38 PM

Dec 2013
From the American perspective, people still don't understand the gaming community which is mainstream and is why we still have all these people who complain about GTA and Call of Duty. So I wouldn't think it would be any different if anime was on the same level. I do agree that it would be nice to have more people to talk about it with.
Apr 16, 2015 2:45 PM

Apr 2014
In my school, anime isn't necessary mainstream but most of my peers watch it. Almost all the kids in my school have watched or heard about AoT. Their are a few that have watched some less popular ones, there are also a lot of girls who enjoy black butler. I am probably the only one in my school to actually watch hundreds of anime and fine animes thats no ones ever heard of. If anime became a huge huge thing I would not like it because then people I dislike will talk to me about it (everyone in my school). It would be interesting if it was mainstream though.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » 【Anime Guild】Discord Invitation Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Hibbington - Aug 7, 2016

1280 by Hibbington »»
Apr 17, 10:19 AM

Sticky: » ❤~Staff Thread~❤ ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Mikochondria - Sep 19, 2014

1164 by RisaK »»
Apr 15, 1:31 PM

» [CLOSED] Winter 2024 AOTS Card Edition: BokuYaba Season 2

coziitsu - Apr 9

28 by coziitsu »»
Apr 14, 6:15 AM

Sticky: » Spring 2024 Power Ranking Committee Sign-ups

Hibbington - Mar 13

40 by HaXXspetten »»
Apr 13, 11:16 AM

Sticky: » [Toriyama Class] Power Ranking Committee Winter 2024: Part 4/4 FINALE

KANLen09 - Apr 9

1 by KANLen09 »»
Apr 9, 9:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.