Forum Settings
Forums

What music artists do you think has the most extreme live shows?

Feb 5, 2015 9:05 PM

I'd go with Hanatarash. By the end of the 80s Eye had to start a new band because no venue would let Hanatarash play. They actually damaged one venue to the point it had to shut down. Also one time Eye cut a deep wound into his leg with a chainsaw and kept on playing. They haven't shown much concern for the audiences safety either as Eye once threw junk at them with a back hoe.

There's also G.I.S.M whos front man shot a flame thrower at the front row and they drag audience members on stage and beat them with clubs.

Feb 5, 2015 10:52 PM

Halfsleeper said:
I recall you doing a thread on this before. I can't remember what you named it though otherwise you could of bumped that one up.

There are lots of noise bands/musicians that do things at their shows. C.C.C.C. (Cosmic Coincidence Control Center) and Hijokaidan for example (urinating and destroying audio equipment and venues, etc). Juntaro (The Gerogerigegege, The Gero-P, Nihilist Surfin' Group) would probably have some pretty wild stories to tell. Of course they'll seem more tame in comparison but I'm just trying to think of others.

GG Allin is pretty much an obvious mention.

Also, look up Hermann Nitsch if you don't know about him. He does performances that are very ritualistic.

I could've sworn I did this thread on I.m.d.b forum.

Feb 5, 2015 11:04 PM

Didn't Ozzy Osbourne eat a bat?

Feb 5, 2015 11:08 PM

VitaminCaim said:
Didn't Ozzy Osbourne eat a bat?
He bit the head off one thinking it was fake. Still that's not nearly as bad as what's already been mentioned.

Feb 6, 2015 7:57 AM

like you already mentioned.
had to think of GISM the moment i read the title.
theres quite some video material of them with some crazy stuff. like you mentioned with the flame thrower. also the video where Sakevi walks into the audience with a chainsaw.

he also throws a stage barrier into the audience around the 9 minute mark.
also seen the video where he fires a gun at the audience. hope those where blanks.

also, definitly not the most exstreme, but i once saw a live video of No.105, where he and some other guy where just rolling on the stage covering themselves with all the manga and stuff that was laying on there, and the other guy started taking off all his clothes and still rolling in the ground, and then he grabbed a bottle and started peeing in it, cant remember what happened after that though. but i havnt been able to find it for years now. guess its not on youtube anymore. it was pretty funny to see.
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.

Feb 9, 2015 9:32 AM

I was going to say Hanatarash but you already covered them OP. Looks like you forgot to mention the gig where they drove through the venue with a bulldozer destroying it.

Some other folks worth mentioning are

• The Gerogerigegege for constantly masturbating on stage. They did a release party on the beach once for one of their albums just to set every copy on fire and run around masturbating.

• Hitlerbuttsecks once did a gig where he broke a bunch of his equipment and got kicked through a table which broke a bunch of his ribs. He doesn't do performances that self destructive anymore tho.

• Yuuko Haii sometimes written as Haiiyuuko is a Japanese dude who does lots of guerrilla performances. He dresses like a girl and goes around Tokyo ranting through a megaphone about sex while running at people with dildos. Also one time he was roaming through a busy intersection with a hammer. He also climbs on top of a phonebooth and hits it with a hammer while ranting. He also gets in fist fights with his friends on subway trains. He also gets arrested a lot.

There's a few videos on Youtube check em out

• Namasu Yoshihide is friends with Yuuko Haii and does some similar stuff. Here's a video of one of venue performances which is nsfw since he's naked

and here are the two together at the beach
Modified by Shimapan-chan, Feb 9, 2015 9:41 AM
I write game reviews that you can check out here: 🎮

Feb 9, 2015 11:40 AM

Shimapan-chan said:

• Yuuko Haii sometimes written as Haiiyuuko is a Japanese dude who does lots of guerrilla performances. He dresses like a girl and goes around Tokyo ranting through a megaphone about sex while running at people with dildos. Also one time he was roaming through a busy intersection with a hammer. He also climbs on top of a phonebooth and hits it with a hammer while ranting. He also gets in fist fights with his friends on subway trains. He also gets arrested a lot.

There's a few videos on Youtube check em out

lol

Feb 11, 2015 10:03 PM

Hanatarash bulldozed the stage during a performance.

And not as extreme but Swans deserve a mention, at least during the 80's.

Feb 11, 2015 10:24 PM

has to be GG.

Modified by shotz, Feb 11, 2015 10:27 PM
Chikaji said:
i, personally, would gladly be fisted by every single strong female character until my asshole explodes, permanently rendering me into a coma

Feb 12, 2015 12:42 AM

Not the most extreme, but Marilyn Manson does fit that category.

Feb 12, 2015 1:00 AM

I was coming to this thread just to post a Hanatarash video link. Eye still seems to have that flare to put on a memorable show these days, just in a more mannered and sane way.

Feb 12, 2015 7:12 AM

The Dillinger Escape Plan
letlive
Desolated

Feb 12, 2015 7:30 AM

I'm so very glad I never saw GG Allin live, especially anywhere near the front of the stage. But he came out and accosted the audience didn't he?

Russian folks might be familiar with Katya Sambuca. Her shows are.... interesting. (don't google at work)

A female almost on par with GG for disgusting was Karen Finley. Oh God.

I thought Urbangarde looked promising but their shows are pretty tame compared to the videos I think.
Modified by FahtahSensei, Feb 12, 2015 7:35 AM

Feb 12, 2015 7:57 AM

Iggy Pop is insane

Black metal bands also

Feb 12, 2015 8:47 AM

GG Allin, and those videos legit scare the shit out of me.
"If you died, would anyone care? Would they really care? Maybe, they'd cry for a day. But, let's be honest no one would give a shit. They wouldn't. The few people that would feel obligated to go to your funeral would probably be annoyed and leave as early as possible. That's who you are. That's what you are. You are nothing to anyone. To everyone."
-Mr. Robot

"I can take another name, and build a new life.. But on the inside I'll always have that instinct, no matter how much I hate it. I'm yakuza through and through. Guile only gets you so far in this game. Remember that. You won't get another chance."
-Kiryu Kazuma

Feb 12, 2015 10:12 AM

Halfsleeper said:
Hihi7 said:
Hanatarash bulldozed the stage during a performance.

And not as extreme but Swans deserve a mention, at least during the 80's.

I adore Swans. Also yeah their early shows were pretty intense, they still are but in a different way.

I saw them last year, Michael Gira isn't pulling people's hair and assaulting people in the audience anymore (in fact he goes to the merch booth and talks to everyone, signing things, which is pretty cool). Still, it's very intense. One of the only shows where it's better described as an experience.

Feb 18, 2015 7:04 PM

CoolBear said:
letlive
Desolated

This guy. Also, The Chariot. Recommend checking some stuff out on YouTube if you're into Dillinger

Feb 18, 2015 7:32 PM

GreatBigDogy said:
CoolBear said:
letlive
Desolated

This guy. Also, The Chariot. Recommend checking some stuff out on YouTube if you're into Dillinger

Just curious but how are they worse than Hanatarash?

Feb 19, 2015 1:52 PM

Waifu_Strangler said:
GreatBigDogy said:

Just curious but how are they worse than Hanatarash?

Honestly, I just checked it out and it looks pretty intense! The Chariot packs some mad energy too though and as one less inclined to the noize they appeal to me more. Can't deny the extreme nature of Hanatarash's live shit though.

Feb 19, 2015 4:34 PM

Linkin Park, Chester broke his arm and still kept going!

Feb 19, 2015 9:21 PM

Mikasa said:
Linkin Park, Chester broke his arm and still kept going!
That's so much more extreme than cutting a deep wound into your leg with a chainsaw and continue playing!

Feb 19, 2015 10:15 PM

CoolBear said:
letlive

I saw them opening for Pierce The Veil a couple years ago and it was simultaneously awkward and awesome because the kids who showed up for PTV were so thrown off by letlive whilst people went crazy and Jason Aalon did his usual Jason Aalon thing.

As far as other bands, The Acacia Strain is up there as well. They always have really intense mosh pits and the people in the band (especially their vocalist Vincent) get really into it.