Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Clannad Episode 18 Discussion

Aug 13, 2009 10:14 PM

Well, that was a great episode! They all finally understand that Tomoya and Nagisa are meant to be together!

Aug 16, 2009 3:31 AM
cant believe we just laugh so hard at last episode then this shows up...

i have watched quite a few harem anime but i never feel so painful when other girls realized that they arent the chosen one...
oblivious is a bliss

Sep 6, 2009 7:29 PM

The harem is starting to break apart. Sad to see the twins crying. :(

I think the reason Kyou was crying was because her sister apologized to her. Ryou knew all along that Kyou also liked Tomoya. So Ryou said sorry to her, thus they both cried.
Modified by Moonfrost, Sep 6, 2009 7:32 PM

Sep 15, 2009 5:24 PM

Awww I'm sad D: I was tearing up a bit right along with Kyou and Ryou! They liked him so much!...also at the part when Tomoyo was explaining her family situation. I thought her brother wasn't going to make it DD:

I'm a bandwagon whore

Ow. My Heart. <3

Sep 20, 2009 6:26 PM
What a beautiful episode!
Tomoyo is awesome! Becoming a school president just because she wants to protect the sakura trees.

And well, Tomoya broke everyone's heart XD

Oct 3, 2009 8:19 AM

So Ryou gave up on him

Well that is the problem of the harem part,all other girls are cute and attractive for the audience but the main actor picks the girl he met in the first.

I general I prefer this solution, but the other girls in this show are as good as Nagisa, maybe better.

Nov 5, 2009 9:24 PM

I actually am not very impressed with the last few episodes. And here I thought Clannad would be the third anime with a rating of 10 for me by the time it finished. Unless some epic shit happens in the next few episodes, it's not getting that 10 back...

Dec 20, 2009 2:37 AM

Tomoya could've totally gone for the Harem Route if he wanted to. >.>

Jan 7, 2010 4:53 AM

Tomoya + Tomoyo would have been awesome. Never mind. On to the last arc!

Feb 1, 2010 2:32 PM
Best episode so far! The last part of the episode was simply amazing! ^_^

BTW, I think they should've dedicated more episodes to the Kyou and Tomoyo arcs. They did like 5 episodes for Fuko and Ichinose each. Not that I'm complaining about those two though. It's only that I think Kyou and Tomoyo deserved more time. =P
Modified by Julio-sama, Feb 1, 2010 2:37 PM

Feb 7, 2010 4:21 PM

lolikitsune said:
And there was actually an unexpected layer of subtlety to the crying; Kyou wasn't crying because she'd lost to Nagisa but because Ryou apologized, and Ryou apologized because she'd known all along, and Kyou suddenly knows that she's wronged Ryou as much as Ryou wronged her and now they've both lost, and man. It was good.

Yeah, that part hit me hard. Why can't they use this kind of subtlety more often in the show? Really really brilliant moment. Hope there are more of these.

Feb 24, 2010 3:57 PM

good episode. I loved how Tomoya instinctively put his hand out to shield Nagisa! At the whole breakfast thing I was secretly hoping he would take Kotomi's food! hahaha

I'm glad Nagisa's story-arc is finally coming! I've been wanting it since the 1st episode. Since it's so obvious that they are going to end up together~!

Feb 24, 2010 5:15 PM

I was looking foward to more Kyou crap

Mar 29, 2010 12:25 PM

the feeding/bento scene is one of the funniest scenes in all clannad xD

this episode is just great,how could i forget about tomoyo's story :O
poor thing :(

I just realised that Sunohara must be in the top 10 characters for me xD,at least for now :p
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)

Mar 29, 2010 6:44 PM
Frohike said:
lolikitsune said:
And there was actually an unexpected layer of subtlety to the crying; Kyou wasn't crying because she'd lost to Nagisa but because Ryou apologized, and Ryou apologized because she'd known all along, and Kyou suddenly knows that she's wronged Ryou as much as Ryou wronged her and now they've both lost, and man. It was good.

Yeah, that part hit me hard. Why can't they use this kind of subtlety more often in the show? Really really brilliant moment. Hope there are more of these.

I actually found that part quite weird.
I mean, throughout the series, you kinda get the vibe that Kyou likes Tomoya, but I never had the feeling that she was in love with him, or that she was hiding her true feelings. At least not to the point that she'd be sobbing in tears over what happened.
It might be all the slap stick comedy from when they got trapped in the supply shed. They should have stretched it out a little more and had some real seriousness to it.
Modified by FeralChild, Mar 29, 2010 7:04 PM

Apr 3, 2010 12:14 AM

I cried twice... again :')
gosh, clannad is just golden.
rewatching the series I realize how truly good this anime is, and that all the girls' stories are just so well made that I would like individual spin-offs of each.
fuko and kotomi had their long arcs while tomoyo and kyou/ryou had to share theirs.
I would really enjoy some sort of spin off of their arcs. kyou being my favorite character, I could never have enough of her. and tomoyo, I would really enjoy seeing her past self :)
anyway, back to the episode.
it was just amazing. with the lunch at the beginning, that was hilarious xD I even enjoyed fuko's interruption xD all the girls wanting tomoya to eat their food, oh gosh. priceless xD
tomoyo's story was just touching :') again, I would really like to see more of her past.
and all the girls realizing who tomoya really likes at the end, heart breaking...
tomoyo just recently met tomoya, as well as started to have feelings for him, still you could see that she got hurt, but she still kept herself together, like her character. kyou and ryou crying is completely acceptable as for they have gone through a lot. even thou they cried right in the middle of the match with the up beat background song, I still couldn't help but shed a few tears for them... ok more than a few :')
ahh, clannad<3

Apr 3, 2010 12:15 AM

I cried twice... again :')
gosh, clannad is just golden.
rewatching the series I realize how truly good this anime is, and that all the girls' stories are just so well made that I would like individual spin-offs of each.
fuko and kotomi had their long arcs while tomoyo and kyou/ryou had to share theirs.
I would really enjoy some sort of spin off of their arcs. kyou being my favorite character, I could never have enough of her. and tomoyo, I would really enjoy seeing her past self :)
anyway, back to the episode.
it was just amazing. with the lunch at the beginning, that was hilarious xD I even enjoyed fuko's interruption xD all the girls wanting tomoya to eat their food, oh gosh. priceless xD
tomoyo's story was just touching :') again, I would really like to see more of her past.
and all the girls realizing who tomoya really likes at the end, heart breaking...
tomoyo just recently met tomoya, as well as started to have feelings for him, still you could see that she got hurt, but she still kept herself together, like her character. kyou and ryou crying is completely acceptable as for they have gone through a lot. even thou they cried right in the middle of the match with the up beat background song, I still couldn't help but shed a few tears for them... ok more than a few :')
ahh, clannad<3

Apr 8, 2010 6:53 PM

I fucking lol'd when they both started crying.
Bishes be jealous.

May 28, 2010 4:37 PM
FeralChild said:
Frohike said:
lolikitsune said:

I actually found that part quite weird.
I mean, throughout the series, you kinda get the vibe that Kyou likes Tomoya, but I never had the feeling that she was in love with him, or that she was hiding her true feelings. At least not to the point that she'd be sobbing in tears over what happened.
It might be all the slap stick comedy from when they got trapped in the supply shed. They should have stretched it out a little more and had some real seriousness to it.

I actually didn't understand that part at all. I couldn't get why they were crying, apologizing and saying thank you.

Jun 24, 2010 11:49 PM

Just rewatched this episode and it was amazing.

I feel so bad for Kyou! I'm starting to think she's my real favorite Clannad girl...

Jul 10, 2010 2:00 AM

Lol Kyou and Ryou started crying.

Jul 18, 2010 11:18 AM

Bad Tomoya, making girls cry like that.

Jul 26, 2010 3:45 PM

Tomoya= heartbreakerr... dreammaker.. lovetaker...;)

great ep!

Jul 27, 2010 10:59 PM

Intense.... that's all i can say

Aug 10, 2010 3:41 PM

It's over. :-( I'll be watching the Kyou alternate ep, though.

Nagisa was my second favorite, though.

Aug 12, 2010 4:13 PM

Loved this episode, Tomoya's attitude towards Nagisa is so sweet ♥
Tomoya x Nagisa FTW

Aug 17, 2010 12:17 PM
I can't believe it. Nagisa is the worst fucking choice for a love interest character I've ever seen. all the other girls are more interesting than her for god's sake.

Sep 8, 2010 1:41 AM

Great episode. It looks like it's reaching for a conclusion.

Oct 3, 2010 4:32 PM
.......................... no words ............................................
(I discute this episode afterwards)

next to 19th ep

Oct 8, 2010 6:15 PM

nasty shit her tears came out like blobs

Oct 29, 2010 7:00 AM

Tomoya blushing was priceless.

Dec 19, 2010 7:29 AM

Another great ep..

From Comedy to Drama and then Romance..

I lol'd when Sunohara's face was censored.. xD

Tomoyo's backstory is something I can relate. When my parents are arguing, it was like I

don't want to interfere just like her. But at the end, things are reconciling on their own..

As to the romance, it's building up nicely. But I can't be happy to see the twins crying. :(

I don't know how Tomoyo felt about Tomoya but it's something like "If he's happy for that, then I'll support him." :)
Modified by StormViruz, Dec 19, 2010 7:35 AM

Dec 26, 2010 6:36 PM

Finally, Kyou, Ryou, and Tomoyo realized that Tomoya has not real interest in either of them. Hopefully, they'll let the poor guy have some peace.
I felt SO bad for Tomoya when they all showed up at his house with food.
Fuuko, please stop showing up!!

Apr 10, 2011 2:59 PM
I actually loved that Kyou and Tomoyo arcs were played together. And I totally loved this episode. Tomoyo's awesome. The food scene was great. And Tomoya broke my heart too xD

Apr 22, 2011 7:30 PM

Ah, that scene near the end when Kyou and Ryou saw Tomoya and Nagisa cheering Tomoyo on. The change of realiseation that came over their faces was so well done, much empathy evoked!

And we got to see Tomoyo's brother. This actually fills me with a little relief, as in the opening credits, during the bit when it shows Tomoya, you see a wheelchair in the background, and I thought to myself 'no, something tragic will happen to Tomoya so she cant walk anymore'. Thankfully, its just her brother (still sad, just not as much!)

Jul 4, 2011 4:26 AM
Hitagi's Pet

Ryou and Kyo crying was very emotional. I think Ryou knew all along that this would happen, whilst Kyou (who I think is a really cool girl) really thought she could make a difference.
Tomoyo took it well. She's a smart girl who's been through a lot and knows better than crying over some boy.

Having said that, I think if the producers wanted Okazaki to choose Nagisa all along, they should have done more to emphasize how an alpha male like him, can fall for a girl like Nagisa. She's sweet and considerate for others, but other than that, she really isn't attractive at all. It just feels really forced (like we are the writers and we're telling you that this guy loves this girl).
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Nov 20, 2011 7:45 PM

Naaaagisaa-Chan! She's back in action. I knew something wasn't right with Clannad the last few eps.

As much as I like Kyou and Tomoyo, I'm glad they know their place now.

Okazaki slapping that fools hand away was great, I can relate to that scene...

Seems like this is going to be the final arc, lets gooo

Dec 17, 2011 8:06 AM

I'm so happy Nagisa is back! :)

So what is it now? Both sisters love one guy? haha anyhow... i love how Tomoya is protective over Nagisa at the last part.

...and I was just thinking how all the girls went to visit Tomoya when he was suspended but no one visited Nagisa when she was sick. sigh :/

Dec 29, 2011 10:15 PM

Yay, Tomoya and Nagisa arc starts,
but it was very sad to see Ryou and Kyou
crying. I felt really bad. Well it was a nice arc.
&& lol at Fuuko showing up with her starfish dishes.

Mar 21, 2012 1:38 PM

That tennis scene, classic ship sinking.
Over was such a great song to compliment the scene, especially when the vocals came back on, right after the arm block.

Apr 8, 2012 5:51 PM

I still have a hard time figuring out EXACTLY why Kyou was crying at the end..?? Was it more because she was in love with Tomoya, or more because Ryou couldn't have him? Or was it both?

And was Ryou's apology for the fact that Kyou just lost to Nagisa for Tomoya's affection? Or was it that she(Ryou) felt she (Ryou) failed her sister by not being able to make good use of Kyou's efforts to get Ryou with Tomoya?

I feel like it must be a mix of all.. it's just hard for me to imagine that Kyou loved Tomoya when she was putting so much effort into her sister's cause. Which makes me think.. Ryou must have realized (at least at that moment) that Kyou ALSO loved Tomoya, which is perhaps why she said she was sorry, not only that Kyou had lost to Tomoya, but also sorry that Kyou had been helping her (Ryou) get with Tomoya all along and thus couldn't have done any advancing of her own.

edit: Someone in another thread I think explains it well:
It seems the majority believes Ryou and Kyou cried out because of their "loss".
This is not exactly that only. Basically, Ryou apologizes because she couldn't get Tomoya as Kyou wished. This means that Ryou knew that Kyou had feelings for Tomoya, which ultimately gave her guilt (demonstrated in many instances, just like in epiosde 17).
The impact is horrible for Kyou, as she couldn't get tomoya herself, and even her most precious person, her twin sister Ryou couldn't have that happiness, hence why Kyou crumbled despite she was able to withstand it for a while.
This ultimately crushed Ryou as well, as she "failed" for both herself and Kyou.
Modified by KanuTousen, Apr 8, 2012 6:16 PM

Apr 8, 2012 7:42 PM
I felt bad for Tomoyo regardless. She is mature, and she felt the kindness from Tomoya. In the drama room, she even says to herself: "I'm so glad it was you, Nagisa."

I felt like Tomoyo and Tomoya would have been a great couple. Tomoya and Nagisa, however, were made for one another (as depicted). She would have remained unsociable without him.

As for Ryou and Kyou, I would like to think of them as crushing on him. Felt super bad for Ryou..

Apr 11, 2012 9:45 AM

I Feel REALLY SAD When I See Kyou's Crying. T___T

Apr 11, 2012 7:48 PM
Kyou AND Ryou =.=. I really liked Tomoyo... she was like "I'm so glad it was you."

Apr 17, 2012 4:01 PM

So the girls finally realize who Tomoya really likes.
I found it so awkward at the end when Ryou and Kyou both just started crying.

Apr 28, 2012 12:25 AM

Oh, thank goodness; it looks like the love polygon has collapsed already. Not that it was ever in doubt that Tomoya has been falling in love with Nagisa this whole time (it's only spent the entire series on it minus the distraction of Kotomi's story), but I was worried it was going to drag things out regardless.

Apr 29, 2012 11:44 AM

I like that the harem thing kinda collapsed. I wasn't particularly a fan of Nagisa, more so Kyou, but this episode made me LOVE Nagisa x Tomoya. Now that he realizes his feelings, the show is going uphill! Sorry Kyou.

Duur, Tennis... Prince of Tennis... >>

May 19, 2012 9:53 AM

Woah, for a second there, I was afraid Kyou was going to go all School Days on Nagisa...

May 26, 2012 7:38 AM

Every Time I Saw Episode 18, I Always Think It's TOTALLY ILLOGICAL For The Whole Series. Tomoya Got An Orb Of Light From Kyou Because He Made Her CRIED? I Totally Facepalm When I Always Think Of It. KyoAni Totally Ruined The Clannad Logic.

And Don't Get The Wrong Idea. Yes I'm Shipping Kyou And Tomoya BUT I'm Totally Fine For Nagisa And Tomoya. It's Just That Scene Ruined The Logic Which I'm Totally Lost.
Modified by Tennouji, May 26, 2012 7:41 AM

Jun 19, 2012 3:33 PM

Mixed feelings :S I LOVED the first half with the fortune telling and Ryou's reaction/opinion on it and the TOO MUCH FOOD PART (gee Tomoya, WHAT A PAIN, having girls bring you too much food ...) XD Tomoyo going around beating all the sports teams was pretty interesting too, but expected :P
Then of course we get Tomoyo's sad past moment (which uhm ... OK, sure then) and Nagisa comes back ... darn it D: I swear I'm the only one that doesn't like her or something X_X I thought the tennis ball hit her face and WOW uhm OK, a little protective there huh Tomoya? Well if I wasn't sure who this anime was shipping now I'm pretty clear -_-" Felt bad for Kyou and Ryou (Ryou's apology D:) and even Tomoyo looked up when she realized ... EVERYONE ALWAYS ENDS UP WITH THE PERSON I HATE MOST -_-" Although it was a fairly happy song playing (BGM) there so I was a little confused lol O_O
Well it looks like we'll be dealing with Tomoya's family more next episode, so it was a nice build-up with Tomoyo's opinion on it this time. Shame we never got a proper Kyou/Ryou arc :( Pretty fast way to just crash all their hopes at the end there lol D:

Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »